Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
unitedbiscuits
13 Nov 17 08:49
| Topic/replies: 16,118 | Blogger: unitedbiscuits's blog

You see a lot of Brexiteers clinging together and telling each other no deal is going to be all right. It will, for some.
Germany will prosper, the U.K. is an important export market for them, but only on a par with the Netherlands. In fact, as co members and neighbours, trade with Holland is MORE important to Germany. So, no chance of them betraying their principles on our account. Germany also exports 4 1/2 times as much to China, compared to the U.K. . The Silk Road ends at a railhead in Germany, in the heart of the biggest market in the world. So, Germany is succeeding in developing markets in th world's growth economies where the U.K. is already failing on level terms.
The losers of no deal, as the EU have so helpfully and consistently assured the world, will be wrapped in the Union Jack.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 114
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 11:24
German v Netherland = £4 Billion trade surplus for the Netherlands.

German v UK         = £35 Billion trade surplus for the Germans.

Now which is MORE important to the Germans?
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 11:45
High imports signify a successful country, potless. As many Germans depend upon exports to the Netherlands as Britain. Added to which, they have a shared border. If potless thinks either side is about to jeopardise that relationship in favour of Britain's special pleading, he is wrong. His vision for "Global Britain" looks more and more like one of perpetual austerity where the "Inselaffen" are late adopters of all the good stuff.
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 11:54
High imports signify a successful country, potless

UK must be the most successful Country on the Planet then.

Uncomfortable figures weren't they.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 12:02
I believe Rwanda has achieved very low imports.

There is no sense of conflict within the EU.
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 12:05
you will have to wriggle a little better than that Laugh
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 12:12
I made my bets a longtime ago, potless. Are you saying there is a sense of conflict within the EU?
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 12:29
I made my bets a longtime ago, potless

So you keep telling us, WHO CARES.

Are you saying there is a sense of conflict within the EU?

I don't know, ask the EU, their the one looking for it, we're just after a mutually beneficial trade deal.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 12:52
WHO CARES. There's no reason you should be bothered except this is a gambling site, so it is kind of about winners and losers, potless.

we're just after a mutually beneficial trade deal. - We have one,we're running out on it. 

And on the subject of uncomfortable reading, look up the export performance of UK business compared to Germany in any of the vaunted growth markets of the 21st century; I've cited China but it's the same winners in India, Japan and Brazil, in fact anywhere "Global Britain" wants to plant its flag, they'll find someone got there before.
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 16:54
There's no reason you should be bothered except this is a gambling site, so it is kind of about winners and losers

So post your Betfair trading statement and we will see which of those you are, if it matches your boasting we will all happily concede you bragging rights.

look up the export performance of UK

No, I'm still trying to get my head around your "High imports signify a successful country", UK must be flying high.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 17:30
So post your Betfair trading statement
No boasting, no skill. It doesn't matter where a punter sticks his pin - if your bank is in £ then you are the loser.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 17:46
No, I'm still trying to get my head around your "High imports signify a successful country", UK must be flying high.
If a country doesn't mind falling behind the curve, it can always reduce imports - but it is not a first world solution.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 18:09

There is nothing wrong with Potless putting on the latest Elvis record on the pub jukebox and jiving away to that; most of us would be very respectful of local customs and encourage him.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 18:21
Looking away, a country may choose to be in the forefront of new ideas -does turning our back on the biggest trading bloc in the world help?
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 19:14
If a country doesn't mind falling behind the curve, it can always reduce imports - but it is not a first world solution.

Meaningless twaddle unconnected to your previous point scoring attempts.

Stop digging and just put your hands up to the nonsense you posted.

1, that the Germans £4 Billion trade deficit with the Netherlands is more important to them than their £35 Billion trade surplus with the UK.

2, that high imports signify a successful country.

Lame attempts at humour just cant hide it.   

Looking away,

I can see why you'd want to.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 19:25
Any country can control the appetite for imports by
a) Raising the price of them
b) Making their own people too poor to afford them
Since the Leave vote b) has been the preferred strategy, by reducing their purchasing power,  but when tariffs are added, a) will also suppress imports.
So, we are placing our children in the "slow stream" of progress. They didn't vote to be considered slow and stupid, you did that for them.
By:
potlis
When: 13 Nov 17 19:38
1, that the Germans £4 Billion trade deficit with the Netherlands is more important to them than their £35 Billion trade surplus with the UK.

2, that high imports signify a successful country.

Either defend them or put your hands up.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 20:01
1) Taking your figures at face value, that means more goods are traded by value inter Netherlands/Germany than UK/Germany, which makes it by definition a more valuable trading partnership. There is every chance that Germany enhances and exports some of its imports from Holland, thus helping both countries (a car may have components crossing borders 47 times). In any case, German exports are so strong in the developing world - 4 1/2 times that of the UK in China, for example -that it could probably withstand losing trading advantage in both UK and the Netherlands. But what the crash Brexiteers are proposing is stepping back from twenty-seven countries. And even if we could persuade Germany with our special pleading, what's in it for Holland?

2) Consumer demand drives a successful economy. People feel better driving a Mercedes than a Trabant.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 13 Nov 17 21:09
2)  People feel better driving a Mercedes than a Trabant. Generally described as "progress."
By:
potlis
When: 14 Nov 17 09:28
1) Poor attempt at deflection.

Facts

German exports to UK £86 Billion, German exports to the Netherlands £79 Billion.
That makes the UK its larger trading partner.

Result of that trade

Germany v Netherlands = £4 Billion advantage to the Netherlands.

Germany v UK          = £35 Billion advantage to the Germans.
That makes trade with the UK far more important to the Germans, and a nonsense of your original claim " the U.K. is an important export market for them, but only on a par with the Netherlands"

You do understand the importance of Trade Balances don't you?

Example

China produces a mountain of sh1t which it then exports to America, Americans spend their Dollars buying said sh1t, result? the transfer of  Billons of US Dollars directly to China, that is unless the Americans can sell equal amounts of sh1t to the Chinese.

2)Consumer demand drives a successful economy
Especially when those consumers belong to another Country, which simply reinforces point 1)
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 10:18
Potless got one thing right - China (and others) produce a mountain of sh1t, and if the EU conceded a free-trade deal with the UK, the EU would be flooded with fake Rolex, fake Gucci and pandas with three inch metal needles behind the eyes, all via "Global Britain". So when the Brexit-cabal say "All we want is a free-trade deal with the EU," what they mean is that they want to destroy the fidelity of the EU, by making the UK a kind of insanitary conduit for sub-standard goods. Now, I'm not saying Potless is aware of this deceit, he's probably just repeating what he reads in his paper, but people like Redwood, IDS and Lamont thought this through years ago, and they know exactly what they're doing, and they are running the show. As long as the EU realise that "Global Britain" is a threat to its existence, there is no chance of Germany preferring a trade-deal with the UK at the expense of its trade-deal with Holland. Which makes the argument about figures academic (but not conceded).
By:
potlis
When: 14 Nov 17 10:54
Last time I looked China was already the largest exporter of goods , fake or otherwise, to the EU, what a "Global Britain" has to do with that I don't know.

Just give it up and admit that your "High imports signify a successful country" rubbish was a kneejerk response because someone (correctly) called bullsh1t on your

" the U.K. is an important export market for them, but only on a par with the Netherlands"

Its ok to be wrong occasionally, the measure of the man is admitting it.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 11:15
By his own figures, trade between Germany and Holland is greater than Germany/UK. Even if we only had to convince Germany, not Germany and Holland, how is he ever going to persuade them that trade with Britain is more valuable for Germany than their trade with Holland and Poland combined?
Rummage around for those figures, Potless, get back to us and I'll give you another exercise: how does the UK's special pleading outweigh Germany's combined trade with Holland, Austria and Poland. There could be another twenty threads, adding to the theme.

Does it still look plausible?
By:
potlis
When: 14 Nov 17 12:21
Debunk one lot of bullsh1t and he's quickly onto the next, the strange World of 'those who cant be wrong' where £79 Billion is now larger than £86 Billion, what happened to all those "fake Chinese good" flooding Europe? well its just been pointed out to him that they already are and nothing to do with "Global Britain"

I will leave others to make what they will of you now bringing Austria and Poland into the debate, smacks of desperation to me.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 12:43
At what point, for Germany, is trade with the EU more important than trade with the UK? I would say it's Holland alone, quibble but the figures are within a 10% band. Holland and Poland? No? Holland/Poland/Austria? No? I'm only thinking of countries bordering Germany, but you can add up to 26 countries to one side of the scales. But don't take my word for it, ask the Germans. Or ask the Dutch.

We have free-trade with the EU. We are turning our backs on it. The main task of the EU is not to accept a free trade deal with Britain because "Global Britain" would then become a cloaca through which the rest of the world would circumvent EU regulations and tariffs, destroy the single-market and the EU itself. Goods coming off the Silk Road in Germany meet EU regulations, it meets certain standards that "Global Britain" is gagging to get rid of.
"We just want a fair deal". - looks an innocent and reasonable demand, when you read it in your paper, and many readers unwittingly repeat it without fully realising the implications.
By:
potlis
When: 14 Nov 17 16:51
All very interesting guessing and a mile away from your original post, but then you have been trying to jog away from that all the way through this thread.

Now its about Germanys trade with the whole EU taking priority over trade with the UK, well of course, but that's not what I contradicted is it, it was this

the U.K. is an important export market for them, but only on a par with the Netherlands.

The idea that, for the Germans, a £4 Billion trade deficit with the Netherlands is on a par with the £35 Billion trade surplus it has with the UK, is obvious nonsense.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 17:15
Semantics, potlis. The central fact you have to accommodate is this: the EU is a more valuable trading partner than the U.K.  for each and every other country in the world. We can't compete with Germany now, heaven knows we are going to fall further behind outside the EU. Don't waste your hope on German manufacturers "beating a path to Merkel's door to demand special terms for the Brits," it won't happen and even if it did it would be politically impossible.
We are actually f**king up trade relations with twenty five other countries and Germany. In the crowded field of Brexiteers dishonesty, "They need us more than we need them," is in the top three lies. Maybe pushing number two.
Hence the warning on the notice of the post at the top "Danger, Cliff Edge." There is no escaping the fact.
Of course, I may be wrong and potlis may be right but Germany itself gives us no reason to hope. They couldn't be clearer, crashing out of the EU will damage Germany, but not as much as it damages the U.K..
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 17:49
Would someone ask Biscuitbrains nurse to pull his pants back up.

TIA.

the U.K. is an important export market for them, but only on a par with the Netherlands. LaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 17:59
Goods coming off the Silk Road in Germany meet EU regulations, it meets certain standards that "Global Britain" is gagging to get rid of

That's not entirely true. Many goods entering the EU must bear the CE (Conformity European)mark. Most do and ones that don't tend to be easy pickings for trading standards. However, there are endless examples of EU officials going to China to see the production line in order to see the relevant safety and quality standards are been met. This tends to be huge toy manufacturers. As the EU officials are guided through the factory they see the very best parts and methods, they tick all the relevant boxes, go back to their hotel, enjoy the rest of the jolly and then go home. As soon as they have left the whole production line can, and in many cases has been totally swapped to use the cheapest possible parts and ignore any safety concerns. The products though still bear the CE mark and have the relevant bar code which can trace them back to been EU CE approved. Many Chinese companies have been fined for this but no doubt countless more have got away with it.

So these 'EU standards' that you spout about are actually next to worthless yet the whole EU department that exists to police this is, of course, paid for by us.

And, by the way, what I say is common knowledge in retail.
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 18:03
And not mention you have absolutely no idea that - standards that "Global Britain" is gagging to get rid of is true. In fact, you just made it up to suit your argument. No British politician has ever said what you say. You are lying. Again.

A shocking thread for you this one. See if you let it drop off the bottom with all the others.Laugh
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 18:08
News to me, Burt. TIA for the link.
All the goods off the train are subject to EU tariffs though. That is correct, is it not? Whereas, if the UK had free trade with both the EU and China, the Silk Road goods would end in the U.K. - prior to forwarding to Europe, thus subverting the EU single market.  Therefore, for that reason alone, it won't happen that we get a free trade deal with the EU.
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 18:10
The train lol - what a plonker.
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 18:13
How did Canada get a deal then?
Your stupidity is almost beyond belief.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 18:15
The Brexiteers have promised a bonfire of EU regulation. The EU has no faith in the UK maintaining their standards, nor should it. There is every reason to believe that our standards will be more lax - less healthy, fast and loose with safety, crash Brexit, no airbag.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 18:22
I don't know how long the Canada deal took to ratify but seven years springs to mind. Meanwhile, the City relocated to Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin. Nice work, Brexiteers.
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 18:27
Of course the needless, business strangling and petty stuff will go. Why would it not?

Were your crooked mates to ever sign off their books there would be even more savings for the tax payer. But they don't, do they? They refuse to do so, don't they? Kinnock even fired a whistle blower on this very point, didn't he?

WHY?
By:
potlis
When: 14 Nov 17 18:30
Semantics, potlis.

Hardly, it was the point of my original reply and what you took exception to.

The central fact you have to accommodate

I have made no claims regarding the UK's trading position post Brexit, why would I need to accommodate your guesses, are they more worthy than others?

All I need do is continue to paste these

the U.K. is an important export market for them, but only on a par with the Netherlands"

"High imports signify a successful country

in the hope you pluck up the courage.
By:
Burt06
When: 14 Nov 17 18:31
And you asked for a link so here you go.

Misuse

The European Commission is aware that CE marking, like other certifications marks, is misused. CE marking is sometimes affixed to products that do not fulfill the legal requirements and conditions, or it is affixed to products for which it is not required. In one case it was reported that "Chinese manufacturers were submitting well-engineered electrical products to obtain conformity testing reports, but then removing non-essential components in production to reduce costs".[15] A test of 27 electrical chargers found that all the eight legitimately branded ones with a reputable name met safety standards, but none of those unbranded or with minor names did, despite bearing the CЄ mark;[15] non-compliant devices were actually potentially unreliable and dangerous, presenting electrical and fire hazards.

There are also cases in which the product complies with the applicable requirements, but the form, dimensions, or proportions of the mark itself are not as specified in the legislation.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

It's such a shame you can never back up anything you say.

Don't worry, we all know why.
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 18:34
you are wandering away from the subject of no deal Brexit, Burt.
You don't need to convince me with your special pleading, you need to convert the Germans. In fact, am I right in thinking that a trade deal has to be unanimously agreed among the 27?
By:
unitedbiscuits
When: 14 Nov 17 18:38
Thank you for the link, Burt.
That just shows that we need to apply the standards more strictly, not abandon them.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com