Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Eeternaloptimist
04 Mar 15 16:08
| Topic/replies: 38,236 | Blogger: Eeternaloptimist's blog
Only a few days till the festival. My thoughts on the big races:

Supreme - Don't have strong view but I wouldn't bet against Douvan.

Arkle - UDS is likely to be long odds on and deservedly so based on his running in Ireland but he's never been to the festival and is he as good on good ground? I think Vibrato Valtat and Clarcam could run big races.

Champion Hurdle - I've been sweet on Faugheen for this since he won the Neptune and see no reason to change my view despite not backing him ante post. One that got away.

Neptune - I don't have a strong feeling about this race but feel that Parlour Games should appreciate the better ground but there aren't many seven year novice hurdlers who win these type of races. I'll have another look closer to the time.

Champion Chase - Several leading contenders and I think they are close enough matched to think that the ground will be key. On good I worry if either Champagne Fever or Dodging Bullets is quick enough and I slightly lean towards the renaissance of Sprinter Sacre.

Ryanair - I haven't had a hard look at Don Cossack yet but my initial feeling is that he's another who has looked impressive under Irish type conditions which are unlikely to prevail. I think Balder Succes may run a big race if the ground is good.

World Hurdle - Tough one to call with slight preference for Saphir De Rheu at the moment.

Triumph  - A race that has been kind over the years and my only ante post bet this year of Peace And Co. Was very confident after his race at Doncaster, very slightly less so after Cheltenham and less so again after the performances of Hargam and Beltor in their last runs. My personal view is that the Irish form isn't as strong as ours and that mine remains a worthy favourite and the above two are strong dangers with Top Notch entering thoughts if there is significant rain.

Gold Cup - Tough to call. Sam Winner was 33-1 a few days ago which seemed too big. Beyond that I don't have a strong view on the race but Many Clouds may struggle if the ground is good as may Carlingford Lough.

Will enjoy reading any other views.
Pause Switch to Standard View Cheltenham Festival...
Show More
Report Eeternaloptimist March 9, 2015 6:05 PM GMT
Probably as well I didn't put the amounts in then. Laugh
Report pawras March 9, 2015 6:14 PM GMT
come on fess up put the amounts in, see who believes you Laugh
Report flushgordon1 March 9, 2015 6:56 PM GMT
Lay un des seaux lands quite steep at his fences can see the 3 last claiming him.
Also lay josses hill in the same race if you use your head you cant lose even if uds gets round.
Josses hill is as poor a jumper of a fence as i have seen in a long time cant win.
Report paddletoe March 9, 2015 7:17 PM GMT
Ever see yer man again EO?
Report Eeternaloptimist March 9, 2015 8:04 PM GMT
Sadly I've given up on that one paddle. I sent him an email last weekend, this weekend and a private message on here and I've heard nothing. One of those things I guess. It probably sounded like a good idea at the time but I have to agree with those who said it would never happen. Two grand is a lot of money I suppose. I don't think he's been back since that time so I hope it isn't his health which has caused problems.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 9, 2015 8:08 PM GMT
I've totted it up pawras and I had £145 on the place market and £34 on the win market. I thought it unlikely that he'd win but he was nearly double his on track odds and I'd have kicked myself. No need for the big hitters to tremble when they see me coming.
Report paddletoe March 9, 2015 8:47 PM GMT
Just your luck EO - you win a bet for two grand and yer man dies of a heart attack the very same night!

Bit cheeky if you ask me that he would not pay you up straight away. You would not normally put 2 grand on a horse ( I am guessing here ) so to even accept your kind offer of putting the money on a horse was bad form in the first place. I would actually be hoping for your sake the horse did not win at 10/1 and you were left thinking you can copped. Think you were done well and proper.

I must admit I am not surprised you never heard from him again. I was hoping I was wrong but the fact he was going to let you put an imaginery two grand on a horse was all I needed to know.

I would be delighted for you to be proved wrong but I seldom lose two bets in a row and I have already lost one on engerland in the cricket today!
Report pawras March 9, 2015 8:49 PM GMT
cool , nice return for you then Happy

nice to hear of people winning and I wouldn't like anyone in our wee cadre here get wiped out this week, it's only one meeting after all.

well except perhaps joyless pr**ks like crybaby

having a more thorough look at tomorrow now.........
Report pawras March 9, 2015 8:52 PM GMT
paddletoe - do you analyse form or trade with cricket? just curious because I only gamble on stuff I feel I know very well and that's only horses for me really
Report Tallywagger. March 9, 2015 8:53 PM GMT
Fancy Shaneshill EW in the first. Dropping back in trip should be perfect in a fast run race.

Vibrato Valtato EW in the Arkle. Again, the fast run race will be perfect for this strong traveler.

A cheeky EW double will pay nicely if they both frame.
Report paddletoe March 9, 2015 8:57 PM GMT
Pawras, I bet almost solely in running but my bet on England was just a small interest bet. I am good at finding adges in running - that's all. I make most money on snooker and the cricket sub markets.
Report paddletoe March 9, 2015 9:03 PM GMT
I would not call myself an expert on any sport but I have an opinion on most sports. The only sport I have no opinion on is horse racing. I just can not assess the ability of a horse to save my life.
Report pawras March 9, 2015 9:04 PM GMT
Paddletoe, interesting I never do in running, are you manual or via something like bf bt manager, gruss or betangel? I must admit I know absolutely f all about other sports. Well except boxing, I will bet the big events with that but nothing but interest bets.
Report paddletoe March 9, 2015 9:07 PM GMT
I don't much bet on boxing. If i fancied a small interest bet on a fight EO would be my go to man for a bit of advice.
Report pawras March 9, 2015 10:08 PM GMT
Ok I’ve done my analysis Cheltenham tomorrow.
I’m gonna have a few speculative bets seen as it's Cheltenham, but I still fancy Faugheen and Annie Power for stronger bets.

10/03/2015     1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       L Ami Serge (IRE)
10/03/2015     1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Jollyallan

10/03/2015     1405    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Un De Sceaux (FR)
10/03/2015     1405    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Vibrato Valtat (FR)

10/03/2015     1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Faugheen (IRE)
10/03/2015     1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Jezki (IRE)
Plus a place bet on
10/03/2015     1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Vaniteux (FR)

10/03/2015     1600    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Annie Power (IRE)
10/03/2015     1600    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Bitofapuzzle
Report Eeternaloptimist March 9, 2015 11:09 PM GMT
That's two of us going in on L'Ami Serge which means it's probably bound to lose but I just can't get away from that Gerry Fielden performance. Douvan could be a 160+ horse right now. If he is good luck to him but I can't help thinking some of his price is down the who his connections are.
Report Comrade_Karla March 10, 2015 12:17 AM GMT
1.30 Seedling.
2.05 Vibrato Valtat.
2.40 Dursey Sound.
3.20 The New One.
4.00 The Pirate's Queen.
4.40 Sego Success.
5.15 Stellar Notion, Knock House.
Report alun2005 March 10, 2015 12:41 AM GMT
These are my complete guesses for Tuesday

1-30  Back : Seedling (e/w)

2-05  Back : Three Kingdoms (e/w), and a very small Lay of Un De Sceaux

2-40  Back : Black Thunder (e/w)

3-15  Lay : Faugheen (small amount)

4-00  Back : Bitofapuzzle (e/w)

4-45  Back : Sego Success (e/w)

5-15  Back :  Keltus (e/w)

Most of the races shape up on the slightly difficult side of completely impossible, and anyone following my picks would probably do well to get Professional Counselling. I've never picked the winner of the 2-40, the 4-00, the 4-40 or the 5-15 yet (largely as I refused to back Quevaga at long odds-on) and don't expect to break my duck this year.

Will go at it cautiously, with no strong feelings about any of the races. A nice day out in Spring sunshine with luck.

Good luck all.
Report pawras March 10, 2015 12:45 AM GMT
Funnily enough Seedling is my 3rd choice in the 1330

I don't see any one or two horses ahead of the field in the 2.40 but I may go ew with an outsider yet.

I can see an argument for The New One but I put Faugheen and Jezki's trainers and jockeys performance at Cheltenham ahead, but on paper it seems pretty close between them. By my reckoning Hurricane Fly's jockey isn't too hot at Cheltenham.

Really not sure where you get "The Pirate's Queen" from, although the trainer has been a strong performer at Cheltenham in recent times.

I may yet have a speculative bet on the 1640. If I do Very Wood (FR) & Sego Success (IRE) will be my picks

The 1715 seems a lot like the 2.40, i.e. no obvious strong contenders.

Well we could all have a lot of egg on faces yet Laugh
It's interesting to hear other people's thoughts but to be honest in betting terms for me it's no more important than the Sedgefield meeting on at the same time, sacrilege to some I know Crazy
Report pawras March 10, 2015 9:19 AM GMT
Interestingly Ladcrooks were briefly offering 6/4 Faugheen but bet365 was still 11/10
Report spellingandgrammarchecker March 10, 2015 10:06 AM GMT
There's a placepot competition on chit chat.
Rules, bonuses etc in the first post.
Been running for years.
Report stewarty b March 10, 2015 1:51 PM GMT
stewarty b
04 Mar 15 19:10
| Topic/replies: 8,043 | Blogger: stewarty b's blog
As it stands at the moment, Douvan is my only bet at the meeting, win or lose. Not rocket science but this beast hasn't came out of third gear yet and with that it comes with  a lot of hype.

I'm on largish and if it wins I can settle back and enjoy the rest of the meeting, especially the Champion Chase.

It's going to be a helleva good weekend in Aberdeen.Cool
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 1:52 PM GMT
Pop. Laugh

Never really thought he was travelling and whilst the interference and bad luck in running may have kept him out of the places I don't see any way he could have got to the winner who very much looks as if he'll be better for another summer. Well done to Douvan backers. I should have stuck to my original thought. Laugh
Report stewarty b March 10, 2015 2:00 PM GMT
Unlucky EO. In changing your mind that is. Done the same hundreds of times. Sometimes it works bur for me it's been very seldom.
Report pawras March 10, 2015 2:19 PM GMT
Well done with Douvan.

A winner and a loser for me so far. Pity Vibrato Valtat didn't keep going for 2nd then I would have an ew return and a forecast up as well.

Still don't have any strong ones for the 1440
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 2:20 PM GMT
Well done stewarty. Had he been with another trainer I'd have probably backed Douvan ante post but with Mullins I find him difficult to call and by the time he's committed to the race I feared he was short enough as I do think he'll be better with another summer on his back. Enjoy the winnings.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 2:21 PM GMT
If I had to have a bet in that it would be The Druids Nephew but I can't back him because I worry a bit about his jumping.
Report pawras March 10, 2015 2:33 PM GMT
Think I'm gonna have a punt on Mendip Express and Black Thunder.
Report stewarty b March 10, 2015 2:37 PM GMT
EO, thankfully I don't have to have another bet at the meeting. That's very unusual for me but I lumped on Douvan at 2s back in early February, such was my c0ckyness but I really fancied the beast in what I thought was a weak Supreme.

All the best for your future bets.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 2:52 PM GMT
Fucckadoodledo. Laugh

Everybody steer clear of me this meeting. I've got the black spot. Not backing the ones I could and backing the ones finding trouble. If Faugheen wins having fancied him since the Neptune last year I may need smelling salts because it was another Mullins horse I couldn't get involved in ante post and just look at his price now. Cry
Report stewarty b March 10, 2015 3:00 PM GMT
If things get bad, feel free to ask me in two weeks time for a couple of selections by PM. Selections that is, not a tipster.
Report Dr Crippen March 10, 2015 3:09 PM GMT
I think The New One is the best bet in the Champion Hurdle.
Report pawras March 10, 2015 3:26 PM GMT
lol glad faugheen won because I plunged in extra to what I intended because Labrokes briefly offered 6/4 this morning
Report Dr Crippen March 10, 2015 3:28 PM GMT
He made short work of that lot.
He's answered all the questions now.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 3:32 PM GMT
I'll only ever back my own opinion stewarty as that way I only have myself to blame. Had things worked out differently today could have been wonderful. Laugh

I agree with the comments on RUK. They allowed Ruby to ride them to sleep there. Like a mongoose.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 3:33 PM GMT
I feel for you a bit there Crips. I never rated The New One but that was a brain dead ride from STD in particular. You give your horse its best chance and they just allowed Ruby to ride the race how he wanted.
Report pawras March 10, 2015 3:37 PM GMT
As I said earlier part of my rationale for Faugheen over The New One was the Ruby's consistenr previous performances at Cheltenham
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 3:57 PM GMT
He was indeed the best horse with the best jockey on the course For me only Geraghty at his best gets a look in against Ruby. Annie is incredibly short and if she's right then for me she wins. If you put the gun to my head I'd say Polly Peachum could be the one to get closest and who knows but anybody taking any notice of me today needs sectioning. Although I haven't backed her so maybe not. Laugh
Report pawras March 10, 2015 4:16 PM GMT
I agree about Geraghty for Cheltenham.

That was a bit of a shocker for Annie Power!
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 4:19 PM GMT
Totally gutting for anybody who backed Annie in that four timer. Polly ran really well in a race which didn't suit her.
Report Burt06 March 10, 2015 5:24 PM GMT
well done guys

hardly a place between the lot of ye

ive gone large on irish cavalier in the 515
Report pawras March 10, 2015 5:39 PM GMT
I had a bet on 3 in that race and fortunately Irish Cavalier was one of them.

Wasn't a bit bet but at about 14/1 it doesn't need to be
Report Eeternaloptimist March 10, 2015 6:39 PM GMT
Well done gents. Didn't have a bet or watch the later races. Was the 17.15 late off or is Burky boy after timing there sticking his post up at 17.24?
Report Burt06 March 10, 2015 6:47 PM GMT
oi simmie

do u need a nipGrinLaugh
Report Comrade_Karla March 10, 2015 10:45 PM GMT
Time to go again, boys. Happy

1.30 Beast Of Burden.
2.05 Don Poli.
2.40 Mijhaar.
3.20 Mr Mole
4.00 Charingworth.
4.40 Sebastian Beach.
5.15 Moon Racer.

Really not sure where you get "The Pirate's Queen"

4th @ 25/1, only beaten by 3 lengths.
Report pawras March 11, 2015 12:20 AM GMT
Burt - are you going to post a screenshot of your bet, I certainly can if required, so come on prove you aren't just pure mouth and no trousers........LaughLaugh

Karla - I'm not disputing it did well, I'm just saying I couldn't see much of an argument for backing it.
Report spellingandgrammarchecker March 11, 2015 12:44 AM GMT
Burt06
10 Mar 15 17:24   
well done guys
hardly a place between the lot of ye
ive gone large on irish cavalier in the 515

I went large on the first 5 forecasts, in trebles.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 1:04 AM GMT
Wednesday and Thursday are often quiet betting days for me and I don't see much changing this year but in the spirit of the thread:

1.30 Outlander
2.05 Wounded Warrior
3.20 Sprinter Sacre
4.40 Baron Alco

No view on the other races. My vote for Sprinter is predicated on it staying dry. If it rains to any significant degree then I'd tentatively side with Champagne Fever.
Report pawras March 11, 2015 9:28 AM GMT
Nothing but small speculative bets for me today at Cheltenham, but here they are

1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Vyta Du Roc (FR)
1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Parlour Games

1405    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       If In Doubt (IRE)
1405    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       The Young Master

1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Champagne Fever (IRE)
1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Sprinter Sacre (FR)

1715    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Moon Racer (IRE)
1715    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Pylonthepressure (IRE)
Report pawras March 11, 2015 12:05 PM GMT
now that Champagne Fever is a non runner I'm going for

1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Sprinter Sacre (FR)
1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Dodging Bullets
Report Burt06 March 11, 2015 12:37 PM GMT
a screenshot

ok
just give me a second
right i got it
Report Burt06 March 11, 2015 12:38 PM GMT
here ye go

.............../'¯/)
............../.../
............/..../
....../´¯/...../'¯¯'\
.../'/.../..../...../¨¯\
.(.(...´...´.... ./.....)
..\...................../
...\....\............../
.....\...............(
......\..............\

silly little countLaugh
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 12:49 PM GMT
Laugh
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 12:49 PM GMT
How can you not laugh at/with Burky? He's a comic genius.
Report pawras March 11, 2015 3:05 PM GMT
lol pretty good, but still shows you're just mouth and no trousers as I suspected
Report pawras March 11, 2015 3:29 PM GMT
well that's one winner Happy

Pylonthepressure is a non runner in the 1715, so changing my picks to

1715    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Moon Racer (IRE)
1715    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Wait For Me (FR)
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 3:36 PM GMT
They are carrying me out feet first this year. I'm pulling sticks for now. I haven't backed Baron Alco so he may well win but Cheltenham has been a painful experience this year.
Report Burton-Brewers March 11, 2015 3:52 PM GMT
Pylonthepressure was my best bet of the meeting Sad
Report pawras March 11, 2015 5:25 PM GMT
Got 1st and 3rd in the last race I see.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 5:56 PM GMT
Good man pawras. I hope you filled your boots. My boots are full to the brim. Of pi55. Laugh
Report melv March 11, 2015 6:14 PM GMT
Aux ptit soins landed. Nice double win with Zarkanda now on. Smaller doubles with Monetaire

trebles with the 3. And the impossible 4 fold with Djankanda. All single and each ways.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 6:24 PM GMT
Nice one melv. Is the last one Djakadam in the Gold Cup? I'll cheer them on for you assuming I don't have an interest myself. I certainly won't be betting tomorrow. I'm taking a day off to buy some smelling salts ready for the final assault on Friday. Laugh
Report melv March 11, 2015 6:37 PM GMT
Yeah. Gold Cup. Simplistic thinking that Silv Cont don't like Cheltenham and some random person said Djakanda is in form. Read another  Irish pundit who said Djankanda is way under price and he's no chance. Bets in  now> Daft four fold punt  really.

Aux ptit soins hit every Fence; Actually ran straight through one. I though he could not win; he was pecking or straggling his back legs at every fence. Looked thrown in with weight advantage and was. Won't be at all bad though; if he learns to jump
Report melv March 11, 2015 6:39 PM GMT
Sorry Djackadam. Can't even spell the fkr. Sticking a pin in the card really.
Report pawras March 11, 2015 6:45 PM GMT
it was only minor money on the Cheltenham bets I posted today, my more serious bets did sh&t today, just as well yesterday was a stormer for me.

good luck with your bets, provided they don't conflict with mine of course.
Report Burt06 March 11, 2015 8:14 PM GMT
i got 250 ew on join the clan at 18s

count better win or ill turn it to dogmeat
Report pawras March 11, 2015 10:00 PM GMT
Tomorrow I'll be going with these

Ptit Zig is the only strong bet for me at that meeting, went 9/2 with BOG, the rest are just speculative.

1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Ptit Zig (FR)
1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Irish Saint (FR)

1440    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Wishfull Thinking
1440    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Balder Succes (FR)

1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Zarkandar (IRE)
1520    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Reve De Sivola (FR)

1600    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Hunt Ball (IRE)
1600    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Caid Du Berlais (FR)
Report Eeternaloptimist March 11, 2015 10:51 PM GMT
I'll stick with Balder Succes in the Ryanair but I won't be having a bet tomorrow.
Report spellingandgrammarchecker March 11, 2015 10:58 PM GMT
5 out of 6 in the placepot yesterday, went out in race 1, and I had 2 in the race.

5 out of 6 in the placepot today, went out in race 5 - another race I had 2 horses in. I scrubbed Any Currency and put in Duke of Lucca, with Chicago Grey.

Lost my stake on a bet with Coral, the free bet went on Dodging Bullets.

Got my stake back with an each way bet with Hills, got 3 free bets, one of them was Druids Nephew.

My staked bet with Ladbrokes hasn't run yet, my free bet was beaten.
Report alun2005 March 12, 2015 12:15 AM GMT
Is this the worst, most insipid and uninspiring Cheltenham Festival of all time?
Report Eeternaloptimist March 12, 2015 12:43 AM GMT
Seriously?

Day 2 couldn't possibly live up to day 1 but what have we had so far? The four timer that was but never was dominated the first day and even though I'd done my conkers the Annie Power race given all that was accompanying it was one of the most thrilling and then gut wrenching things I've seen in all my time following the sport. It's not often the punters have the bookies on the verge of a TKO but for the briefest of moments it was there.

Beyond that you've had an outstanding new champion replacing old in Faugheen. Outstanding novices winning the top novice races in UDS and Don Poli. And you've also had a novice winner who is an unfinished beast who with another summer on his back could be anything Douvan.

Then you've had some blanket finishes with any number in with a chance running to the last in the handicaps and a new young Champion Chaser who would have been even better with more cut and the late story of what might have been with his conquerer last year dramatically being pulled out on the day. Throw in the fact that it looked as if Ireland was running away with the meeting and suddenly the English are roaring back. And finally nearly topping it all we actually won the Bumper. Excited

And that's in two days.
Report alun2005 March 12, 2015 12:52 AM GMT
You're probably right EO. I'm cream-crackered after 2 long days at the track, hence my irritation I guess.

That said, I haven't enjoyed quite a few things about this year's renewal. The 12 runner Supreme Novices, the 8 runner Champion Hurdle, the not-many-runner Neptune Hurdle, the worst 2 mile Champion Chase in living memory, the pathetic lack of effort made by anyone to take on Faugheen, and no doubt a few things I've already forgotten.

The inevitable result of a 4 day Festival?

Good luck for the rest of it.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 7:53 AM GMT
I preferred day 1 to day 2 but then I made a big profit on day 1.
Report melv March 12, 2015 8:27 AM GMT
Come on Zarkander!!!!!

Alun I've loved what I've seen.Only watched 2 races. Made a spectacle of meslf int Bookies with Aux Ptit Soins.

Enjoyed the cross country backed any currency for a place. Small fun bet.

Pawras. You've inspired me I'm going for Ptit Zig to go with ptit soins and Zarkander. Yep that's the kind of gambler I am. My dad back the zeds.

I'm distrubutioning my bet way free £50 amongst Zig, Zarkander and monetaire.

And ma fillule to make a day of it.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 8:41 AM GMT
I've done a moderate bet on Irish Saint (it's not a donkey and it's a very strong trainer jockey combo) along with a decent sized one with Ptit Zig and done a reverse forecast on them as well.

If that race goes t&ts up I'll have to see of the minor bets after that pull it back a bit.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 8:49 AM GMT
Vautour is my joint 2nd choice with Irish Saint so I could well be cursing myself later.....

Lol melv and myself of the same mind on something
Report melv March 12, 2015 9:30 AM GMT
I think more than once pawras. Hope there's always hope.
Report alun2005 March 12, 2015 1:37 PM GMT
Vautour was simply outstanding.  A shame only 8 turned up.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 1:41 PM GMT
yep, curses curses lol
Report pawras March 12, 2015 4:45 PM GMT
Well today's been a crap one for me, I must admit these big meetings aren't often a source of good profits for me.

My old man had the forecast up in the 1405 so he's happy about that one !
Report melv March 12, 2015 4:45 PM GMT
Typical Cheltenham Pawras. We woz roobbed with Zarkander. Had it for place though. This is the first one I've done in few years. I've enjoyed it. Plenty of seconds in each ways and one decent win.

Got a £50 free bet tomorrow. Try to get a bit more return by spreading it thinly I will have  £20 of it on sil cont ew and spread a wide net out with the rest out to see what I can catch.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 12, 2015 7:49 PM GMT
No bets today and I'm glad about that. Like many I guess I could have backed Vautour ante post had I been sure enough early enough which race he'd be going in. By the time you know they've shortened it into silly prices and you can't be getting involved. I very much doubt I'd have found any of the other winners. I usually see Thursday as the bookies day and that's about the first thing I've called right this year.

For me tomorrow is all about how much rain falls. If it goes soft then I think Top Notch becomes a live play in the Triumph. If there isn't too much rain I'm still hopeful but no longer confident that my ante post bet Peace And Co will go close. I think No More Heroes has a very good chance in the Albert Bartlett and I think the Gold Cup is the one race that becomes even more difficult the more rain that falls. In a funny way I think the safe call remains Sam Winner at a big price because I think he'll run to his level whatever the ground and some may fall off it it gets testing.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 8:01 PM GMT
I'll see if I can start and finish on a high, with crap in the middle, at Cheltenham.

For the Gold Cup I'm going for Silviniaco Conti (FR) to win and The Giant Bolster EW

The only two I have in mind for speculative bets are :-
1330    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Peace And Co (FR)
1405    CHELTENHAM (GB)                                       Cheltenian (FR)
Report melv March 12, 2015 8:24 PM GMT
Hope I've not put the mockers on you with Conti.Pawras.

Actually I have been v.lucky. One great win. Nearly everything else placed.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 9:07 PM GMT
Don't worry I think I've been my own Jonah the last two days.

If Henryville had come first I'd have been about ready to do a streak down the street Crazy
Report Eeternaloptimist March 12, 2015 10:02 PM GMT
Is that relieved cheering coming from the neighbours? Grin
Report spellingandgrammarchecker March 12, 2015 11:00 PM GMT
melv
12 Mar 15 16:45
Typical Cheltenham Pawras. We woz roobbed with Zarkander.

I layed it last year, along with Fishers Cross.

In the placepot competition on chit chat there were 50 players, and not picked Zarkandar.

I'm consistent, Sad  I got 5 out of 6 in the placepot again today, and topped that with 3 out of 4 in the quadpot.

I only had one other bet, I backed Ma Filleulle in running for a place at 2.62.

Place layers in running burnt their fingers with 5/2 favourite Don Cossack, who looked booked for 4th at best, but ran on to get 3rd and was as high as 8/1 for a place.
Report pawras March 12, 2015 11:01 PM GMT
yeah probably lol
Report melv March 13, 2015 3:43 PM GMT
My best Cheltenham ever. Didn't win that much. What a difference between almost and winner.
I will stick to this 4 or horse plan in future.

Done. A large EW bet on Zarkander. Smaller EWs and double and treble with Aux Ptits Soins and Monetaire.

I'll be havin an EW on jakadam in the big race if I get owt back the bets below.

Silviviaco Conti. I know I know mug mug mug mug mug mug.
Report melv March 13, 2015 3:43 PM GMT
My best Cheltenham ever. Didn't win that much. What a difference between almost and winner.
I will stick to this 4 or horse plan in future.

Done. A large EW bet on Zarkander. Smaller EWs and double and treble with Aux Ptits Soins and Monetaire.

I'll be havin an EW on jakadam in the big race if I get owt back the bets below.

Silviviaco Conti. I know I know mug mug mug mug mug mug.
Report pawras March 13, 2015 4:04 PM GMT
curses my mine started brill and went downhill from there Laugh
Report Eeternaloptimist March 13, 2015 4:23 PM GMT
I think it's been the most peculiar Cheltenham ever for me. Totally out of form at the meeting without a single winner and yet if I'd taken a chance ante post Id likely have done well. Thankfully the one ante post bet I did commit to Peace And Co won which meant it's been an okay meeting with me coming out pretty much as I went in. The only other proper bet I had today was No More Heroes and I thought he was a bit unlucky being chopped off when the three leaders were all getting tired coming to the last. Outside of that I couldn't not have a small bet on Sam Winner but that went the same way as many of the others. Me done for another year.

Roll on next year. Laugh
Report alun2005 March 13, 2015 5:06 PM GMT
We have one treat left.

McCoy rides Ned Buntline in the last, which in any other race on the day would probably be a 16/1 shot. It's 4/1 fav in the ring, which tells you that the world's book making industry thinks this race will be about as straight as Captain Bob.
Report zilzal1 March 14, 2015 9:47 AM GMT
Small loss..

As a win only and f/c backer the following were painful
Thomas Crapper 16-1, Bouvreuil 16-1, Top Notch 9-1, Eastlake 10-1.. only Windsor Park 7-1 ap and The P& Co/Top Notch f/c kept me in the game..Great Sport tho..
Report alun2005 March 14, 2015 10:00 AM GMT
Zilzal, my old 'racing reminiscences' pal, how the devil are ye these days?

Best wishes to the Pamelas, Paulas and Petras of your life !!
Report zilzal1 March 14, 2015 10:57 AM GMT
LO Alun..fine thanks.... if a few more of those had won i'd have been eying Lake Garda/Venice by Train and a attached Cruise around the Adriatic... thinkng of doing Slovenia by train this year via Austria...

still theres hope that either Godsmejudge or Royale Knight coupled with The Kentucky Derby Duo Texas Red and Carpe Diem might both Oblige then its back on(Breeders Cup Juvenile form working out REALLY well) and you wont see the best of Texas until the race itself.

Sadly lacking on the filly front, much to the wifes delightSad there may be hope of an away match sometime this summer with the well Quartered Maureen thoughCool... hope the punting gods will be with you
Report alun2005 March 14, 2015 11:31 AM GMT
Ahhh, it did my poor old heart good to read that update. Good luck with those travel projects. I've had to put my own travel plans on the back burner since I sold up around 18 months ago and moved back to take care of elderly ill Mam2005, to spare her the potential horror of a Somalian Pretendy Carer. (There is at least one cretin on this forum who wants to see around 7 million of these types move to Britain, but I won't name and shame him).

Fingers crossed those bets will show a profit, and I wish you the very best of luck with Operation Maureen. I'm guessing this fine-sounding filly would perhaps be better suited to the Welsh Grand National on soft going, rather than a fast-run SupremeNovices Hurdle?
Report zilzal1 March 14, 2015 12:57 PM GMT
LOL..She'd need riding from an early stage,,,,,,Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com