Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
northernlad5
16 Oct 13 17:37
| Topic/replies: 5,802 | Blogger: northernlad5's blog
.... to 'meet the cost of caring for the elderly'

Britain needs 7million MORE immigrants over 50 years to 'meet the cost of caring for the elderly'
140,000 extra immigrants to the UK are needed every year until 2063
Office for Budget Responsibility says foreign workers needed to raise tax
George Osborne's spending cuts will be wiped out by ageing population

By Matt Chorley, Mailonline Political Editor 

Britain will need millions more immigrants to cope with an ageing population, the official economic watchdog warned today.

The Office for Budget Responsibility said that opening the doors to an extra 140,000 every year for five decades would boost employment and bolster the public finances.

It also warned that pressure on the UK’s healthcare system caring for older people means an extra £19 billion of spending cuts or tax hikes will be needed.

Open door policy: Without high levels of migration to Britain, public debt will balloon to become larger than the entire economy, the Office for Budget Responsibility said
Open door policy: Without high levels of migration to Britain, public debt will balloon to become larger than the entire economy, the Office for Budget Responsibility said

Urgent action is needed or the gains made by George Osborne’s spending cuts will be wiped out by increased spending on the elderly, the OBR said.

Health, pension and social care costs are already equivalent to 14 per cent of Britain’s economy but by 2062-63 it will rise to almost 20 per cent.

The OBR argues that allowing 140,000 immigrants of working age into Britain each year – totalling 7million over 50 years – would fill jobs and raise taxes for Treasury coffers.

‘Our sensitivity analysis shows that overall migration has a positive impact on the sustainability of the public finances over our 50 year horizon,’ the OBR said.

It said that if there is a steady flow of immigrants into Britain, government borrowing would rise to 99 per cent of GDP.

But if there is a bar on immigration, borrowing would hit 174 per cent.

‘These results are driven by the assumed age structure of net migration, which tends to be more concentrated in the working age group and hence reduces the dependency ratio throughout the projection period.’

Warning: Gains made by George Osborne's spending cuts could be wiped out by increased pressure on the public finances from Britain's ageing population
Warning: Gains made by George Osborne's spending cuts could be wiped out by increased pressure on the public finances from Britain's ageing population

However, David Cameron has pledged to reduce net migration to the ‘tens of thousands’ and last year the number of immigrants fell by 89,000 to 153,00.

Without action to address the burden of an ageing population, the UK will be left with a £65 billion hole in its finances, according to the OBR.

In its annual fiscal sustainability report, it said: ‘It is clear that longer-term spending pressures, if unaddressed, would put the public finances on an unsustainable path.’

‘Public sector net debt would approach 100 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) and still be rising,’ it added.

The OBR said the move to a single-tier state pension had slightly eased the pressure on public sector debt, but added that spending on healthcare was the biggest spending pressure over the next 50 years.

The OBR said the cost of the state pension was predicted to rise from 5.8 per cent of GDP to 8.4 per cent of GDP as the population ages, even with the introduction of the new flat rate payment system and increase in retirement age to 67 taken into account.

Healthcare spending is expected to increase from 7 per cent of GDP to 8.8 per cent of GDP, while long-term social care costs are set to rise from 1.3 per cent of GDP to 2.4 per cent of GDP.

The OBR also warned that declining North Sea oil reserves will take its toll, with oil and gas revenues expected to plunge from 0.4 per cent of GDP now to almost negligible levels - at 0.03 per cent of GDP by 2040.

But action taken so far by the Government, including an extra year of spending cuts to 2017-18 and the single tier state pension, is helping to offset some of the pressures, the report added.

The Office for Budget Responsibility's Robert Chote warned of 'huge uncertainties around the scale of the challenge' of dealing with the costs of more elderly people
The Office for Budget Responsibility's Robert Chote warned of 'huge uncertainties around the scale of the challenge' of dealing with the costs of more elderly people

Robert Chote, chairman of the OBR, said on presenting the report: ‘Since last year, the underlying deficit and debt path look less favourable.

‘But this and the costs of long-term care reform are likely to be offset by the Government's announcement of additional spending cuts in 2017-18 and savings from the single tier pension.

‘That said, there are huge uncertainties around the scale of the challenge and the UK is certainly not alone in confronting it.’

He added that the extra £19 billion needed to get borrowing back on track could be spread over the next 50 years rather than action taken in one go.

In a written statement, Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said the OBR's report shows that without the steps taken over the past year, public borrowing would be around 50 per cent of GDP higher in 50 years' time.

He added that the report identifies the extra spending cuts as ‘one of the key factors in containing the growth of spending over the long-term, demonstrating the importance of the Government's programme of fiscal consolidation for the long-term health of the public finances’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2366934/Britain-needs-7million-MORE-immigrants-50-years-meet-cost-ageing-population.html#ixzz2hu4yaV41
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 151
By:
Eeternaloptimist
When: 16 Oct 13 18:34
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
northernlad5
When: 16 Oct 13 18:40
Usual sort of response we have come to expect from the psychotic, multi-personality disorder clown!
By:
A.H HUNTER esq.
When: 16 Oct 13 19:04
Labour policy on show here CryCryCryCry.
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 16 Oct 13 19:13
Most old people will be retiring abroad anyway after reading that July article.

Except the plebs of course.
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 16 Oct 13 19:19
Eurostat estimates that 26.595 million men and women in the EU-28[1], of whom 19.178 million were in the euro area (EA-17), were unemployed in August 2013.

Wheel them in - wheel them in.

Come to the UK for the best benefits in the EU.

26 million unemployed in the EU and they're still coming.
By:
Ski-Wiz
When: 16 Oct 13 19:21
My auntie looked after my grandad instead of dumping him in a care home........problem solved.
By:
Ivor
When: 16 Oct 13 19:21
but, BUT it's good for the economy good Doctor - NL5 has PROVED IT - we NEED them - like a hole in the fluke in head.
By:
gas_panic!
When: 16 Oct 13 21:17
Tories want to be strict on immigration is one of the biggest myths going- they love it. Keeps wages down.
By:
A.H HUNTER esq.
When: 16 Oct 13 21:38
As the floodgates opened to new arrivals the very fabric of our country was transformed. Vast swathes of urban Britain became like a foreign land. Social cohesion collapsed. British workers were thrown on the economic scrapheap. No occupying foreign invader could have done more damage to Britain than the treacherous, unpatriotic governments of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. There is now growing public fury and despair over what has happened to our once well-ordered nation.

Opinion polls show that immigration has become the most important issue for the electorate, while the dramatic rise of the UK Independence Party has been partly fuelled by anger over the unceasing influx.

In a cynical bid to capitalise on this public backlash Labour leader Ed Miliband now pretends that his party has adopted a new approach to immigration. The old days of supporting open borders have gone, he promises. In comes a supposedly tougher strategy that puts the interests of the British people first. It would be hard to conceive of a more shameless exercise in political deceit than this last farrago of drivel from Miliband. Labour has not changed from the dark days of Brown and Blair.

An ideological attachment to mass immigration and multi-culturalism is written into the party’s DNA. What Miliband is really trying to do is not proclaim a new policy but to mislead the public. A ll his traits of hypocrisy, duplicity and opportunism were on full display in his party political broadcast last night. He said with phoney candour that Labour “got it wrong on immigration”. Laugh

What a grotesque understatement.

In truth Labour almost wrecked our nation with their aggressive social revolution, in which the rate of immigration was deliberately cranked up to almost 600,000 new arrivals every year.

Our democracy has been subverted by tribalism at the ballot box, our justice system by sharia law. Vicious misogyny is rampant, reflected in the appalling incidence of honour killings and forced marriages. Incredibly the Home Office estimates that 24,000 girls in this country are at risk every year from the barbaric practice of female genital mutilation. Miliband’s blatherings last night would have been laughable were they not so offensive. He proclaimed in his broadcast that it is “not prejudiced” to worry about immigration yet Labour always painted critics of its open-door policy as xenophobes and racists.

“A bigoted woman,” was Gordon Brown’s notorious description of Rochdale voter Gillian Duffy when she dared to express her concerns about immigration. Only a few months ago Labour-run Rotherham council removed a child from the care of a couple who happened to be Ukip voters and were therefore deemed by the municipal race commissars to be unfit for the role of foster parents.

Miliband’s party has spectacularly betrayed the very people it is meant to support.
That is the climate of institutionalised bullying that Labour created right across the civic bureaucracy, with their endless equality programmes and propaganda. Miliband concluded his broadcast by spouting the predictable cliché, “ diversity makes us a successful country”. That is patently nonsense. Britain was a far more successful country when we had a settled population.

The era of mass immigration has led to an almost permanent economic crisis and falling living standards, not least because of the intolerable strain on our public infrastructure and the welfare state.

Indeed Miliband blithely ignored the reality that our lax benefits system has acted as a magnet for huge numbers of immigrants, especially in terms of housing and child allowances. What is remarkable is that Labour was founded at the beginning of the last century to represent the British working class.

But Miliband’s party has spectacularly betrayed the very people it is meant to support. Miliband was Gordon Brown’s key ally yet the economic model they devised was expensive lunacy: importing millions of people, most of them from Asia and Africa, to provide cheap labour while keeping five million Britons of working-age on the dole. It might have been economic insanity but Labour had their own narrow political reason for pushing ahead with mass immigration.

The fact is that 80 per cent of migrants vote Labour so the party hugely expanded its client base by demolishing our borders. In addition there was the ideological impulse. Contemptuous of Britain’s heritage, riddled with guilt about our past, filled with Marxist notions about victimhood and discrimination they were determined to refashion our society along the lines of their ideology.

So the twin forces of mass immigration and multi-culturalism were used as weapons to create “a new social order” to quote the chilling words of Labour’s Deputy Leader Harriett Harman , Miliband was one of the architects of Labour’s immigration disaster. His broadcast should be treated with the same scorn that his party showed in office towards Britain’s national integrity.

The uncomfortable truths. on Labour and immigration.
By:
northernlad5
When: 16 Oct 13 22:18
Shut up Hunter your repetitive C&P that nobody bothers to read is useless rubbish.

Coming back from suspension I will no longer tolerate your racism.

I never reported anybody before but you and your racist /fascist cronies caused my suspension.

From now on anything I consider racist/fascist or offensive WILL be reported to Betfair.

You are already in breach of betfair rules by posting links to a neo Nazi white supremasist website 'stormfront.org'.

4. All users of the Betfair Forum agree not to post any item or any links to content that TSEG deems: 1. to be defamatory or discloses information that the user has no legal right to disclose, or is otherwise illegal;
2. to be (or contains anything which is) racist, vulgar, hateful, obscene, profane, threatening, insulting or offensive;

One compliant pointing out their rules will see you gone!
By:
Ski-Wiz
When: 16 Oct 13 23:01
Sorry Nlad......Hunter posted nothing that is racist.....
By:
A.H HUNTER esq.
When: 16 Oct 13 23:17
AQ Lad your time would be better spent trying to remove Dianne Abbott from the Labour party ,you are deluded . You have reported people on this forum many times and yet you were banned ,you have made disgusting comments about disabled people and if 67% of the population are Nazi's as you so cheaply accuse,you are in trouble.
By:
northernlad5
When: 16 Oct 13 23:26
Shut it Hunter - you have provided links to 'stormfront.org' a neo-Nazi white supremacist website banned in many countries including Canada. Betfair rules strictly forbid any links to racist organisations.

4. All users of the Betfair Forum agree not to post any item or any links to content that TSEG deems: 1. to be defamatory or discloses information that the user has no legal right to disclose, or is otherwise illegal;
2. to be (or contains anything which is) racist, vulgar, hateful, obscene, profane, threatening, insulting or offensive.
By:
A.H HUNTER esq.
When: 16 Oct 13 23:33
One accurate link that I stand by ,no more and no less .
By:
northernlad5
When: 16 Oct 13 23:55
Before my ban I was prepared to put with your racist **** but not anymore, one of us is going in the very future & I guarantee it will not be me!
By:
blackburn1
When: 17 Oct 13 10:17
If we need 7 million in the next few decades to care for old people how many will we need to care for the extra 7m?

nlad's claim suggests that the population will need to grow infinitely so in a hundred years there'll need be several hundred million.

As usual, it pays to treat his nonsense as nonsense
By:
Angel Gabrial
When: 17 Oct 13 10:41
Eponenentional Growth of 0.22% per year will achieve a population of 71 million in 50 years.
By:
Angel Gabrial
When: 17 Oct 13 10:44
The current exponentional rate is 0.7% and if that continued the population would be 90 million by the year 2063
By:
conspiracywackjob
When: 17 Oct 13 11:51
"Before my ban I was prepared to put with your racist **** but not anymore, one of us is going in the very future & I guarantee it will not be me!"

"Before my ban I was prepared to put with your racist..." -what an arrogant individual you are nladdie

if you are 'not prepared' to put up with hunters views why  should we put up with your extremeist views.

it is views like yours that are likely to exacerbate race relations to the extent of causing  violence

what do you mean by the following - "one of us is going in the very future & I guarantee it will not be me!"

how do you know it will not be you?

are you saying that you intend to contrive to get a particular poster, namely hunter, banned out of malice

if you are then i think it is you that needs to go.

ive asked all the other on hers who obsess over 'racism' and they dont know, so ill ask you.

what do YOU understand, in your own words , by the term racism'?
By:
A.H HUNTER esq.
When: 17 Oct 13 12:05
northernlad5 15 Oct 13 20:48 Joined: 21 Feb 11 | Topic/replies: 3,455 | Blogger: northernlad5's blog

Black people can not be racist to White!

Didn't you read my post on the other thread?
By:
conspiracywackjob
When: 17 Oct 13 12:11
"Black people can not be racist to White!

Didn't you read my post on the other thread?" said nlad

nothing could be more likely to create racial antagonism than the above

could this be construed as incitement to violence?.
By:
unbiased
When: 17 Oct 13 12:13
What a disappointment to see that northernlad's ban is up.This forum was certainly more civilised during his absence.
  An attention seeker of the worst kind,and rude,at the same time!
  Will probably get banned again before long anyway,as he obviously hasn't changed his ways.
By:
A.H HUNTER esq.
When: 17 Oct 13 14:45
68% want DRASTIC CUTS to immigration after reading this thread ,by the way that percentage will rise before the next election is here.
By:
Captain Wurzel
When: 17 Oct 13 15:29
I thought it was 67% - has it gone up ?
By:
Ivor
When: 17 Oct 13 15:30
Yes - since they all read this thread innit.
By:
Captain Wurzel
When: 17 Oct 13 15:42
Thanks Ivor - I hadn't realised this thread was swinging national opinion innit.
By:
northernlad5
When: 17 Oct 13 17:02
How many more times 67/68% munter?

Latest opinion polls put the party who you blame for mass immigration Labour on 39%,
Tories who haven't done anything to stop immigration on 34%.

The only two parties committed to stropping all immigration which would be a disaster for Britain UKip & BNP (who have lost their support to UKip) 11%.

So that's 73% for continued immigration. 11% for ending immigration.

The British people at the next G. Election will overwhelmingly vote for continued immigration.
By:
Ivor
When: 17 Oct 13 17:05
LOL -love it!
..and 62% of humans are not Christians.
By:
northernlad5
When: 17 Oct 13 17:12
However munter I am happy you recognize that my threads/posts shape the political landscape.

Move over Ed!

Arf arf arf!
By:
moisok
When: 17 Oct 13 17:22
do you think posting lots and lots of new topics indicate something about newliars representative on here   northern liar
either desperation in labour's ranks about people expressing an overwhelming majority in favour of changes or northern liar simply having a problem with himself.

it is such a shock to their system - desperately scrabbling to divert and muddy the waters

what was it now people ?? 67 percent!!??  we cant have people saying this can we
northern liar only gets on with people who shut up -  better go and tell the 67 percent that
but then when have labour ever been anything other than arrogant!!!!   they know what is best for us!!!!
By:
moisok
When: 17 Oct 13 17:24
7 percent don't like sheep  Iver

and 23 percent think pigs are dangerous

however this does not apply to wales!!!!!
By:
northernlad5
When: 17 Oct 13 17:25
Shut up moist pants and stop waffling rubbish as per usual!
By:
Ivor
When: 17 Oct 13 17:33
7% have a wool allergy - now THEREs a coincidence!
By:
susie
When: 17 Oct 13 18:20
to 'meet the cost of caring for the elderly'

Total BS.
The elderly have paid National Insurance and  tax for 50 years.

Governments have wasted it on wars, pretending they are manging the economy, and sustaining a tax rate that was not commensurate with their expenditure.

Neither the immigrants or the elderly are to blame; politicians are.
By:
moisok
When: 17 Oct 13 18:40
so northern liar - your position is taken from the exploitation of cheap labour from the immigrants you use
I wonder you can sleep at night

typical capitalis/socialist belonging to the Labour party   two faced exploiters - let them in and get a vote
By:
moisok
When: 17 Oct 13 18:41
you just cannot stand it after telling everyone it is a non-issue when 67 percent say it is  what a turn around
and you people just cannot accept it
but your arrogance is only exceeded by ignorance  - as your once great leader said   'bigots'
By:
northernlad5
When: 17 Oct 13 19:14
All my employees have British passports, most of whom were born here including the Muslim's
and Hindu's. Those guys know how to graft unlike you moist pants. You spend most day's talking racist rubbish on here and flittering away your benefits.
By:
moisok
When: 17 Oct 13 19:31
yeah sure thing northern liar we all know why you want more immigrants
so you can exploit them
just like the rest of business

I am intrigued by who is being raided and has been found to be employing illegals as well.
Mainly their own people!!!  awful exploitation just like yours.
By:
moisok
When: 17 Oct 13 19:33
what is racist about pointing out your two faced exploitative position on immigration

they could be polish or other european citizens  so why are you so raicist in your employment of certain people???
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com