Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Whippet
26 May 11 18:36
| Topic/replies: 6,350 | Blogger: Whippet's blog
The luvvies over on the guardian message boards and Twitter are incandescent with rage at the comments Adele has made this week:

"I'm mortified to have to pay 50%! [While] I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more. Trains are always late, most state schools are ****, and I've gotta give you, like, four million quid – are you having a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from [the album] 19, I was ready to go and buy a gun and randomly open fire."

Great to see an arts type that actually lives in the real world, certainly makes a change. Successful, rich, and tells it how it is; no wonder the lefties hate her. Laugh
Pause Switch to Standard View Lefties attack singer over income tax...
Show More
Report carlos monzon May 27, 2011 6:31 PM BST
Adele has talent or not I have no idea.

1 things for sure 50 cent the American has no f00kintalent watsoever. Forget about singing this guy can't even talk.

Guys speech is slurred, can't even make outwat his saying. All his tunes rthe same, mumble jumble.

He gets 50 mill a year or summit like dat. F00ks
Report Eeternaloptimist May 27, 2011 7:19 PM BST
Dr J

I suggest you look up the word irrelevant and then make your accusation about a u-turn.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 27, 2011 7:23 PM BST
cheese

You may beed also to look up the word because it is also irrelevant whether the money has been earned or indeed whether you or I think she is talented or not. We can argue subjectively about whether she has talent but what we were actualyl debating is the tax level which people with transferable skills will put up with bnefore they choose to relocate.

By the way for those of you unfamiliar with her work this is an example of her singing one of her own songs live. Don't forget she is barely out of her teens so she is singing about love as they tend to at that age. Lets see how many deny her talent having actually heard her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtUjFJvYkA
Report Tucho May 27, 2011 7:45 PM BST
This is the point the left never get. The road you want to take us down sees you looking incredulous when people eventually cry enough and move to less oppressive tax regimes.

The people who actually leave do it as soon as they can with as little fuss as possible. Lewis Hamilton was off to Switzerland before anybody even noticed.

The people who sit and moan about taxes never have any intention of leaving. Adele lives with her mum, she moved out but got homesick. She's not planning on going to live in LA any time soon, so she's just having a whinge about her tax bill. She'll get over it. And it'll probably be 40% tax by the time of her next album, 50% is a temporary measure and Osborne is desperate to lower the level. Sadly she'll still have 20% vat poor love.
Report Dr J May 27, 2011 7:46 PM BST
You may beed also to look up the word because it is also irrelevant whether the money has been earned or indeed whether you or I think she is talented or not. We can argue subjectively about whether she has talent but what we were actualyl debating is the tax level which people with transferable skills will put up with bnefore they choose to relocate.

You're falling apart, old boy...

Shocked
Report goonjims May 27, 2011 7:50 PM BST
EO your first paragraph you say the argument is not about whether shes talented or not and then your second paragraph you chosse to tell us about how talented she is.....finally the right have an art type on their side that might actually be talented and not over 60...no need to now wheel out Paul Daniels and Cilla Black ever 4/5 years
Report mjt May 27, 2011 8:05 PM BST
If Labour had increased public spending (97-10) in line with inflation then income tax could have been scrapped.

I've heard this often but find it hard to believe that Labour were THAT incompetent with the nation's finances.
Report PAKEY May 27, 2011 8:08 PM BST
Totally agree about the system being warped, where else would idiots like Wayne Rooney be paid 40 times more per year than a surgeon who saves lives.
Very surprised that somebody like Adele (who is a very talented singer and writer) is complaining about only having £4 million pound left to play with. As far as I am aware, she came from a poor background and has seen deprivation and the damage that the lack of investment can cause.
It would appear to be another case of too much is never enough, you really need to pity these people.

Compare Adele to Bill Gates who has basically given away most of his fortune in order to create a foundation that will invest in the future and provide funds to help others.
Which one do you think has the right idea?
Report carlos monzon May 27, 2011 8:10 PM BST
Tbh the debate is not about talent or not is it.

Think eo pointed out he thinks she is talented, just for the record (for all those who think she is not talented at all).

Personaly speaking I'm not into music but listen to d radio en driving so obviously I'm a person who thinks all singers are overpaid in a big way.

The tax thing which is being debated here is a bit complicated. Well tbh very complicated.

Eg football players r way over paid.

Let's look at the above statement. Most people who have this view r hardcore footie fans or just casual fans who watch games live or ppv etc share this veiw. Do we agree, I think we do.

Now isn't it a bit of a contradiction that u pay to watch games live, ppv or watever then u say they shouldn't get paid all dat cash, but ur paying them.

Ino it's nothing to do with the debate, but this is wat some people on ere r debating. Does she have talent or not.

Talent to an extent depends on how much money u get. Ino this is not entirely true, but there is some truth in it
Report bongo May 27, 2011 8:19 PM BST
It's been noted a few times before, but if Adele jacked it all in for a year, and paid no income tax on a nil income, she would be lifting someone out of poverty.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 27, 2011 8:57 PM BST
cheese     27 May 11 17:34 
It seems that some of you think that Adele's income is "deserved". No it isn't.

Adele makes music

People pay to watch live or listen to her

no one is forced to give her a penny she earns it all.

If she has any sense she will move somewhere where she can enjoy more of the fruits of her labour.

The UK will then get nowt.

As for the worker on 200 per week net if they have the talents to earn more then they should
Report PAKEY May 27, 2011 9:06 PM BST
Yes Adele, as £4 million is not enough, why not go somewhere else and contribute nothing to the country of your birth.
Methinks that she may see a drop in sales of her records in this country.

£4million is the tip of the iceberg, the girl will earn a lot more.
WTF, it is just greed.
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 27, 2011 9:10 PM BST
she is a global star she probably needs the uk less than the uk needs her

50% tax and 12% NI is a joke
Report PAKEY May 27, 2011 9:13 PM BST
Don't forget the 20% VAT that the poor wee lamb will have to pay.
Report Tucho May 27, 2011 9:13 PM BST
don't forget vat!
Report Mighty Whites 2008 May 27, 2011 9:16 PM BST
yep she will pay more in vat in  year than most will in income tax in a lifetime
Report PAKEY May 27, 2011 9:21 PM BST
Maybe she should be a bit more frugal with her cash then.
If not, we could always have a benefit concert for her, in order to help her out in these difficult times.
Maybe the nurses and firemen could all donate a days wages to her?
Report Eeternaloptimist May 27, 2011 10:45 PM BST
Typical lefty. Take as much as you can off someone and then tell them how to spend the rest.
Report PAKEY May 28, 2011 9:10 AM BST
Typical righty, those with the most should be well rewarded or they will go elsewhere.
Those with the least should accept what they are given or they will be replaced.

Maybe if those lefties Laugh in the tory party did not ramp VAT up at every possible opportunity, poor wee Adele would be able to get by on the few millions that she has.
Cue it was all Labour's fault and the nasty tories didn't really want to do it Laugh

BTW I am by no means a typical lefty, certainly not a leaf munching, tree hugging dole punter or social worker as most of you right wingers would have us believe.
Report PAKEY May 28, 2011 9:21 AM BST
Eeternaloptimist

Tucho

This is the point the left never get. The road you want to take us down sees you looking incredulous when people eventually cry enough and move to less oppressive tax regimes. Bbbbbbbbbbbbut you still have more than the average worker you cry. "Ah but I'm not average" you hear as they board the plane......."I'm a far from average rock star, footballer, chef, celebrity, businessman, scientist, doctor etc etc and my skills are transferable. Now you get nowt."

The point that the right never get is that they would not be missed if the politicians seriously wanted to resolve the problem.
If you want to pay your taxes in another country, then our governement should insist that you return your passport and adopt the nationality of your chosen country. You should then only be entitled to visit the UK as a tourist, for a maximum of 8 weeks, or 4 visits per year.
You must also pay full taxes on any money earned in the UK, with no loopholes allowed.

The right see no problem with these spongers making their money here but paying no taxes, but go crazy about the senior citizens who move to Spain and have their pensions sent out there.
Report cheese May 28, 2011 10:01 AM BST
By the way for those of you unfamiliar with her work this is an example of her singing one of her own songs live. Don't forget she is barely out of her teens so she is singing about love as they tend to at that age. Lets see how many deny her talent having actually heard her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZtUjFJvYkA

She's very retro, not really my thing.

Your point about her being in her teens is a reasonable one, I didn't know she was quite that young. I'll concede her music seems to appeal to a lot of people, and isn't as vacuous as most chart acts.
Report Java May 28, 2011 10:32 AM BST
"If you want to pay your taxes in another country, then our governement should insist that you return your passport and adopt the nationality of your chosen country. You should then only be entitled to visit the UK as a tourist, for a maximum of 8 weeks, or 4 visits per year."

As a right winger I agree with this idea.  Still wouldn't solve the strategy of the lovely Sir Philip Green though.
Report Sergei_Rebrofl May 28, 2011 11:36 AM BST
A quick point on labours spending; 'til the financial crisis there was nothing wrong with the nations level of debt, spending was not "out of control," but things like hospitals and schools were on the up. If you want to play party politics with the financial crisis then there are only three conclusions; either the market needed much more stringent regulation, the market should have been allowed to fail, or we bailed it out as was neccessary. The first two conclusions will lead you to the conclusion that labour got it wrong and the tories would have gotten it wrong if in the same position. The latter conclusion would be that labour got it right.
Report Dotchinite May 28, 2011 11:41 AM BST
The true debt was out of control, it was just the official National debt figures that looked ok. Once you included the trillions of liabilities that were being added debt was most definitely out of control.
Report Arsenal Oldie May 28, 2011 6:53 PM BST
a revealing thread.

what is very clear is that the lefty parasites rely on the fact that Adele and her ilk will keep on working and paying tax - they hate her for working hard and being successful, but they couldn't live without her money.
Report mjt May 28, 2011 11:54 PM BST
This is the basis of the Labour Loons argument...

They demand the government takes other people's money to give to them.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 29, 2011 1:54 AM BST
And if they don't give it up with a smile they are selfish.
Report baracouda30 May 29, 2011 6:52 AM BST
Not sure that the school she graduated from, which has charitable status, should be allowed to remain open.

If it's churning out people so dumb that they don't realise how much tax they will be paying on £8 million, and so dumb that they make pathetic remarks about "randomly opening fire", perhaps it should be closed down?
Report Eeternaloptimist May 29, 2011 10:26 AM BST
Indeed. We can't have either freedom of thought or expression. Unless of course it conforms to what the left want. Then of course you are free to do and say as you wish.
Report baracouda30 May 29, 2011 1:09 PM BST
Not sure that I was being entirely serious.

(And they tried to tell us "You can't have a laugh with a Leftie").
Report Dr J May 29, 2011 2:58 PM BST
EO -

Your contributions to this thread have been consistently crap.

Please try harder.

Thank you.
Report Tucho May 29, 2011 3:47 PM BST

The government does the demanding, no encouragement needed from the betfair forum. Plus not every left winger on here is on the dole/ works in the public sector. It's not being 'given to us' it's going on stuff like NHS, schools, bombs in Afghanistan and Libya, aid in Pakistan etc.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 29, 2011 4:30 PM BST
Dr J

Laugh Of course I will.
Report PAKEY May 30, 2011 6:46 PM BST
Arsenal Oldie
a revealing thread.
what is very clear is that the lefty parasites rely on the fact that Adele and her ilk will keep on working and paying tax - they hate her for working hard and being successful, but they couldn't live without her money.

mjt 
This is the basis of the Labour Loons argument...

More of the same nonsense spouted by tories who believe that they are better people than those whose politics are more to the left.
They type who go the conservative club because they think it gives them status and standing in the community, snobs would be one way of describing them. I always see them as Alf Garnett types myself, no substance but plenty to say
You do not give me anything gentlemen, I contribute much more than I take from this society, but I fully believe that I should do so, because I can afford it.
FWIW, both Lord Alan Sugar and Adele (oh yes) are both labour supporters.
Puts a bit of a hole in the argument about labour supporters being spongers?
Report 1st time poster May 30, 2011 6:55 PM BST
maybe this will cheer her up,if she thinks about the likes of mcartney,lennon,stones,jagger,daltrey etc paying over 90% tax at some points of their careers,on the ratio of talent to taxes she should be paying 99.9 % and be happy to do so [;)]
Report goonjims May 30, 2011 7:20 PM BST
just to confirm this cretin was living in an over crowded flat with her mum on a council estate in London a few years ago. Dont mind those born into money making commments like hers as they dont know better, she has no excuse. I hope her career falls apart
Report Eeternaloptimist May 30, 2011 9:39 PM BST
The lunatics are firing on all cylinders now. They'll be wanting blood next.LaughLaughLaugh
Report goonjims May 30, 2011 9:41 PM BST
no blood - just a permanent sore throat will do
Report Eeternaloptimist May 30, 2011 10:23 PM BST
It won't stop you typing though will it? Maybe you could damage a finger instead. Laugh
Report ripped off May 30, 2011 10:33 PM BST
goonjims is skint yet he calls a talented multi millionaire a cretin.  What a sad bloke he is.
Report goonjims May 30, 2011 10:59 PM BST
ripped yes i dont earn 8 million a year

..just enough to pay the mortgage on my house etc...

BUT i still rememeber where i came from and those left fortunate than myself....a couple of years ago the girl lived on a council estate in an overcrowded flat, she makes it big good luck to her, what does she do to repay society that helped her, moan becuase she has to pay tax like everyone else
Report Dr J May 30, 2011 11:02 PM BST
goonjims is skint yet he calls a talented multi millionaire a cretin. 

Oh the irony is simply too much.

Just imagine someone rich saying something cretinous, and someone poor having the audacity to point it out.

Can you imagine that? I certainly can't.

What sort of topsy-turvy, back-to-front world would we be living in if that happened? Seriously, I doubt I'd ever recover from irony on that kind of scale.
Report Java May 31, 2011 8:41 AM BST
Why is it cretinous to suggest that paying 50% of your wage to some politician to p*ss it up the wall is excessive?
Report blackburn1 May 31, 2011 8:51 AM BST
Interesting one this, I knew nothing of Adele but it seems the scenario is a working class girl makes good and sees the other side of life, she then realises that regardless of how much tax the rich pay its wasted by useless people who pretend they have the interest of the populace at heart.

Oh well mugs, keep sobbing into your pillows and pretending you didn't vote labour at the lastt 3 elections
Report baracouda30 May 31, 2011 9:22 AM BST
I doubt she's had a blinding flash of insight into the nature of public spending, to be honest.

I think it's more likely that she's upset with the amount of tax she's paying. Nothing wrong with self-interest, but let's not dress it up as anything more noble.
Report blackburn1 May 31, 2011 9:30 AM BST
Dont underestimate this girl, she is clearly highly intelligent and talented to have written the songs she has at such an early age.

Of course she's not being noble, teenage girls aren't noble, but she will understand that the millions she is paying tin tax is being spunked by incompetent people.
Report baracouda30 May 31, 2011 9:34 AM BST
Any taxpayer could say the same. But her comments are more worthy because she has a bigger tax bill?

Anyway, maybe if the performing arts school she graduated from hadn't had charitable status she wouldn't have 4 million reasons to be moaning about things?

Looks like a perfect quid pro quo to me.
Report blackburn1 May 31, 2011 9:39 AM BST
Of course her comments aren't more worthy than anyone elses, but for such a young girl to feel the need to express them is admirable.

The vast majority of our top performers didn't go to that type of school, theres no evidence to suggest she wouldn't have done ok without it. Its another example of taxpayers money being wasted.
Report Java May 31, 2011 9:50 AM BST
I guess she could also do a "Bono" and become Dutch Plain
Report baracouda30 May 31, 2011 10:35 AM BST
Admirable?

I've got a £4 million tax bill and I'm thinking of blowing some people away because of it?

If she had brown skin and a beard, I'm sure you'd call her comments "admirable".
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 10:36 AM BST
I was ready to go and buy a gun and randomly open fire."

Yes Black she sounds very intelligent, she did not make one decent point, it was a rant because she had to pay 4 million quid in tax. Schools are crap, i dont us public transport but its always late what a load of rubbish
Report Dr J May 31, 2011 2:05 PM BST
I love the way you right-wingers are interpreting the hissy fit of a pop singer as a damning critique of UK public spending policy...

Laugh
Report Java May 31, 2011 2:06 PM BST
Dr J  PlainPlainLaughLaugh
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 2:59 PM BST
I don't think we need to analyse her thoughts too deeply. She is a kid letting off steam. The points are that everybody has a tolerance level to their money being wasted and a radar for when they are having the piss taken. It doesn't matter if your pot to piss in is made out of clay or gold. The only difference is that the person with the clay has less options. If you've got a gold pot you can take it anywhere. That's life. The left should realise that when the tipping point is reached they will take in less money from a diminishing number of willing fools.
Report Dr J May 31, 2011 3:18 PM BST
She's just a kid receiving her first pay check and realising that grown-ups pay tax. She'd still be whinging if the top rate was 15%. To use this as an indictment of 'wasted' public spending is desperate indeed.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 3:29 PM BST
I don't agree and even if she were who would pay any attention? When the state takes way over half of the money from your labours then it will begin to strike a chord with people. What possible jsutification can there be for that? Something is badly wrong with a state which does that.
Report Dr J May 31, 2011 3:42 PM BST
It's not striking any chord, EO. As usual, you're hopelessly out of date/touch. What most people want is higher earners taxed more so that their local libraries don't have to close. It wasn't people making £18k per year that caused the financial collapse - why should they pay the penalty?
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 3:43 PM BST
EO get a grip....give me one decent argument she made please, just one?
Report Java May 31, 2011 3:48 PM BST
"What most people want is higher earners taxed more so that their local libraries don't have to close"

Bollox.  Most people want local officials to stop paying themselves bumper salaries whilst shutting libraries.

Are you honestly saying 50% tax is insufficient?
Report Java May 31, 2011 3:49 PM BST
"EO get a grip....give me one decent argument she made please, just one? "

Let's try is slowly.

Taking........half..........of your earnings.........in income tax...........is......a......disincentive.......to stay in the country?
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:04 PM BST
And a second one by implication would be that public services are still pretty shiit given all the borrowed money poured in to them by Labour.
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 4:07 PM BST
'theyve taken half of my money' is a sufficent argument then?

is her argument of earning 8 million and paying 4 anymore important than the 22 year old earning 12k but paying 3k?

if i earnt 8 million last year i would be more than happy paying 4 million back. Does she now need more than 4 million to live on, aint 4 million enough?
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:08 PM BST
Dr J

I thought what I was saying was quite clear. Obviously if you are aren't doing the paying then you aren't going to care what the top rate of tax is. The chord being struck is with people who are having over half of what they create stolen by the atate.
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 4:10 PM BST
EO - the state helped them create their millions
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:11 PM BST
goon

Look at it another way. Aint 3 million enough for the government and if not why not? There does come a point for most indivudals where they cry, "enough is enough". It isn't a question of what you are left with it is a question of what is being taken from you. Using your line of reasoning why not take 7 million off her? After all she would still have a million. Isn't that enough?
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:15 PM BST
Goon

That is a very dubious statement but let us assume for arguments sake it were correct. You could argue that the state is in a position analogous to a manager. I'm sure she would be happy to pay the state a managers standard fee of something like 10%. Heck she'd probably kiss their feet to give em 20%.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:22 PM BST
You see I know how this particular song ends. Government can never have enough money. Politicians can never have either enough power or control over your life. The easiest and most fatal mistake a politician can make when their own incompetence means a failure to balance the books is to look for a scapegoat to bail them out. I lived through it in the 70's. They tried to take more and more from the wealth creators and so we lost a generation of our brightest to countries like America who valued those who strived to make a success of things. So instead of 30% or 40% of quite a lot they ended up with 98% of nothing and in true socialist tradition they celebrated as we went cap in hand to the IMF for a bailout.
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 4:23 PM BST
thats not reasonable taking 87.5% taking 50% is though...

i will always disagree as i cant see why if you earn 8 million paying half back to the state that has helped you get where you are and will continue to help you get where you are is an issue

for young lady that 3 years ago was living on a council estate in an over crowded flat i would have though that taking home 4 million quid this year would have be amazing to her, obviously not but some people have that mentality
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 4:30 PM BST
The easiest and most fatal mistake a politician can make when their own incompetence means a failure to balance the books is to look for a scapegoat to bail them out

EO replace the word politician with banker same argument?

if these wealth creators aint happy paying 50% of there millions then the twats can piss of to america and i think you got the word 'brightest' mixed up with greediest
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:30 PM BST
goon

You weren't talking about what it is reasonable to take but what it was reasonable for her to be left with. If that is the logic you are using then it would seem perfectly "fair" to leave her with 1 million. The socialists of the 70's would have considered her lucky as they would have taken over 90% as they denounced the capitalist scum dog.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:31 PM BST
Of course they wouldn't have got their hands on that money because like many of her contemporaries she would have been living in America.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:37 PM BST
goon

I think you are seeking to muddy the waters by once again using the favourite trick of the left of bringing in the bankers to shut down the argument. In this case it doesn't work because the bankers are the scapegoats even though they may be wearing golden fleeces. Has it never occured to you to ask why Gormless bailed them out and gave them all that money with no strings attached?
Report Java May 31, 2011 4:41 PM BST
"if i earnt 8 million last year i would be more than happy paying 4 million back. Does she now need more than 4 million to live on, aint 4 million enough?"

By your argument 100k is enough to live on in a year.  Why not let the state take £7.9 million.  Seems reasonable and I'm sure the state is better placed to spend money than an individual?
Report goonjims May 31, 2011 4:41 PM BST
yes because unfortunately the capitialist system we live in needs the banks......
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 4:57 PM BST
goon

I've explained this a thousand times and not one of you has joined the dots up. You fellas are about as capable of taking things in as the guy in the Eddie Murphy sketch (from when he was funny) who simply can't think because his nuts are full and his girl is tickling them because she wants a ring on her finger.

You were conned. The bankers said to the politicians - we need a shiit load of money or it all goes pop. The politicians were faced with a difficult choice granted. Do we take the word of these devious thieving shysters whose self interest means that they desperately want us to cover for their mistakes and get the gravy train rolling again even though they didn't see this coming? Or do we take the word of someone like Nouriel Roubini, the economist who prophesised what would happen and who shouted from the rooftops that zombie banks should be shut down and the banks which could be saved with recapitalisation should be recapitalised?

Wrong answer Mr Brown.
Report Dr J May 31, 2011 4:59 PM BST
I lived through it in the 70's.

Yeah, we know.

Believe me, we know.
Report 1st time poster May 31, 2011 5:42 PM BST
only certaintity is that as a % of her in come she,ll be paying less than someone on paye,as stated if she isnt she needs to sack her advisors,as the likes of gazza,ex mrs midge ure,koo stark etc are finding you never no when you may require the help of the state, her leaving the country would be like a ratner moment and she,d soon be crying about paying 40% of 90,000 which is what she,d earn in usa for instance,how many x factor winners are now looking for their next grand,plenty of them would love to still be paying 50% tax
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 5:52 PM BST
Dr J

I appreciate that for those of a socialistic perspective you would be far happier when those of us who are old enough to remember that dark time in our history die off. Of course if we had the gulags we could be sent for reprogramming. Seeing as your infiltration of the education system and indoctrination of the gullible has had such patchy results maybe you should put it in your socialist manifesto for the next election.
Report Dr J May 31, 2011 5:53 PM BST
Lighten up, old boy.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 5:55 PM BST
I'm as light as a feather old sausage.
Report Arsenal Oldie May 31, 2011 7:26 PM BST
the initial comment from Adele may have been the reaction of an uninformed young person to the realities of tax in this country, but it has prompted a reasonable debate.

it seems to me to simply come down to agreeing what is a fair and effective top rate of tax to be paid by someone who earns say £1 million per year?

I think 40% is reasonable (with zero NI, ie true marginal rate of 40), some may think 60%, some may think 15% and perhaps there are some on here who think 100% above an absolute level of good living (e.g. £100k per year).

Please provide your preferred rate below:
Report blackburn1 May 31, 2011 7:29 PM BST
25% on everything over £12k, no NI, no tax codes, no evasion, no avoidance, no loopholes.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 9:46 PM BST
And a whole lot less waste.
Report Java May 31, 2011 11:11 PM BST
BB and myself see eye to eye on flat rate tax:

25% on everything over £12k, no NI, no tax codes, no evasion, no avoidance, no loopholes.
Report Eeternaloptimist May 31, 2011 11:21 PM BST
What's not to like? Except I'd make it the first 15k exempt.
Report 1st time poster June 1, 2011 5:49 PM BST
make it 10% if you like ,our millionaires as the mp,s expenses show will pay fortunes to avoid it,its all a big game to them ,to show they are above the rules of the normal riff raff
Report Java June 1, 2011 5:58 PM BST
And there you go missing the point completely.

People won't bother to avoid 25% tax.  Once you have taken accountants/structurer fees out it's not really worth the hassle.  It would also be far harder to avoid, because such a simple tax system won't have loopholes.  Add the sense of fairness that earners would feel about 25% tax and you have a society where tax avoidance is very rare.

However, if the state is taking 50% off you with a raft of Gordon Brown inspired legislation, well that's another matter.
Report 1st time poster June 1, 2011 6:37 PM BST
multi millionaire mp,s who claim for light bulbs and hob knobs sont bother trying to avoid tax,Laugh,
Report Java June 2, 2011 8:49 AM BST
You think the current bunch of MPS pay no income tax?
Report Sergei_Rebrofl June 3, 2011 9:54 PM BST
Enough % so that the police can enforce the law and stop relatively rich folk like me having their possessions stolen. Not enough % so that the poor can get healthcare, education, or any of them things, cos they need to compete for them and that.

Yours faithfully,
Ayn Rand.
Report Arsenal Oldie June 4, 2011 7:15 AM BST
so far, I am at the high (somewhat surprisingly) at 40%, while we have some 25's a 15 and a 10.

it's a simple question - what is a fair rate?
Report Mighty Whites 2008 June 4, 2011 7:59 AM BST
First 10k no tax then 15% flat rate
Report Dr J June 5, 2011 12:03 AM BST
it's a simple question - what is a fair rate?

I'd have no problem with income over £10m being taxed at, say, 75%.
Report goonjims June 5, 2011 8:57 AM BST
Laugh
Report Arsenal Oldie June 5, 2011 9:07 AM BST
what about the range 100k to 1m Dr J?
Report Dr J June 5, 2011 2:54 PM BST
50-55%, AO?
Report Java June 6, 2011 8:42 AM BST
With or without NI?
Report Arsenal Oldie June 7, 2011 9:39 PM BST
Dr J - fair enough.  I pay 50% (+NI so I think it's 51.5 or something similar).  Feels unfair to me Sad
I also find the personal allowance removal vindictive - almost as though the government hate you for funding them.

A simple thank you letter from the taxman would be good.  As would trains that run on time so all the taxpayers can get home in time to see their families.
Report Java June 8, 2011 1:12 PM BST
"I also find the personal allowance removal vindictive"

Agreed - highly irritating.
Report 1st time poster June 10, 2011 7:41 PM BST
nice to see the dail mail editor reads the forum,just catching up ,they have the adele article in todays paper after we,ve been discussing it for 3 weeks,betfair forum sets the agenda,are you listening peter thomas and harry redknapp
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com