Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Big Charlie
03 Jan 10 16:20
| Topic/replies: 10,175 | Blogger: Big Charlie's blog
copied from chit chat

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/content/havering/recorder/news/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsRomford&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsromford&itemid=WeED31%20Dec%202009%2011%3A13%3A10%3A080

Alby Tebbutt

HAVERING'S highest profile and most controversial Tory has been booted out of the party following a conviction for common assault.

But Alby Tebbutt, who until being stripped of his party membership was chairman of Romford Conservative Association, has vowed not to change his ways.
Senior Tories ignominiously deposed Mr Tebbutt within hours of learning of his conviction.

The Conservative Party Board declared it had "no choice but to act in order to protect the reputation of the party" after a meeting on Wednesday (December 16).

But the influential local Tory - now stripped of any official role within the Conservatives for the duration of his two-year ban, branded the decision an "overreaction".

Alby, 69, said: "There are forces behind the scenes who have been waiting to get me out of the way, now they've got their way.

"I don't think I've been treated fairly - and neither do many other members. If the party treats others in the same way as they are treating me, I would be surprised if they have many members left."

The married grandfather still strongly denies spitting in a man's face during a row over parking - for which his was convicted by Witham Magistrates on Thursday 3 December - and has lodged an appeal against his conviction.

A Party spokesman said: "Mr Tebbutt was asked to respond to concerns raised following his conviction. Following his response, the Board of the Conservative Party has expelled Mr Tebbutt from the Party.

"Like any party member, Mr Tebbutt has the right to a full and comprehensive appeals process, where his case will be properly considered."

He has been given 28 days to appeal, but the fallout from his dismissal has provoked some senior association figures to threaten to resign from Romford Conservative Association.

A source said: "An order has come from up on high that no one is to talk to Alby - It's disgusting. A number of people are thinking about resigning over this."

The association was due to convene a meeting this week to appoint a new chairman.

Alby, the managing director of Copsey removal company, who has been a party member for more than 30 years and had served as a Havering councillor for 24 years, said: "The problem the Conservative Party has is, if someone asks me for help, I'm not just prepared to rock the boat, I'm prepared to sink it. I'm not prepared to be a rubber-stamping automaton.

"My character will not change, I will not change as a result of this."

"I have to consider all of my options as a result of what has happened. I need to get this appeal out the way.

This is just the latest brush with the law and authorities for the controversial political figure.

In 2005 Alby was suspended for bringing the council into disrepute over allegations he intimidated and swore at a fellow Tory and insulted his wife. He had earlier been cleared of common assault in connection with the incident.

The same year he was referred to the audit commission for racking up a £6,500 council mobile phone bill while holidaying in Hawaii.

In 2007, after leaving the council, he was found guilty of threatening behaviour after an electioneering bust-up in which he told a man "I'll bury you" and sentenced to a year conditional discharge and £400 court costs.
Pause Switch to Standard View He's a nice bloke, that Tory from...
Show More
Report Big Charlie January 3, 2010 5:20 PM GMT
'We need people with convictions' says David Cameron.

He certainly hit gold in Romford !

'Bizarre to reflect that, for all his agonies about "broken Britain", David Cameron seems content with things in Romford. Earlier this week we wrote of Alby Tebbutt, who visited Witham magistrates last week and left with a conviction for common assault. It was his first visit to Witham mags but not to court Alby, the chair of Romford Conservatives, where hanging 'em and flogging 'em remains in vogue, now has three convictions. He was found to have committed actual bodily harm in 1991 and a public order offence in 2007. If Dave is cross, he hasn't yet said anything.'
Report Big Charlie January 3, 2010 11:12 PM GMT
It must be Tory day on here today.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com