Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
chopper9
21 Dec 09 17:42
| Topic/replies: 135 | Blogger: chopper9's blog
Our highly esteemed leader has turned down two petitions relating to this disgrace.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 43
By:
Doob
When: 21 Dec 09 18:04
Yeah should have got 5 years.
How exactly do you defend your property in the front garden of another property? And he denied doing this so where does he stand? In prison where he should be.
By:
Helissio
When: 21 Dec 09 18:07
Should be seen as a crime of passion.
By:
madsimon
When: 21 Dec 09 18:17
not sure how anyone can be expected to know the nuisances of 'reasonable force' after seeing their wife and children tied up and threatened with knifes in their own home in the imediate aftermath.

Its really pathetic how little understanding of such situations the british justice system seem to have
By:
Doob
When: 21 Dec 09 18:21
I'd like to think if my family were in that situation I would have done exactly the same as these 2. But I'd then like to think I'd stand up in court, accept my punishment and think to myself I'm glad I brained but I know it was wrong so I'll happily do the time.

Nobody accepts the consequences of their actions anymore. I think it's fair to say the robber would have gone to prison if Hussain hadn't turned him into a vegetable.
By:
madsimon
When: 21 Dec 09 18:23
doob, if you think you waould have done the same and hence a reasonable response from a human being in that situation why would you think you needed to be punished?
By:
madsimon
When: 21 Dec 09 18:24
and i really dont think the thug who got smashed on the head would have been quaking at the thought of prison as seen as he had 50 convictions previously
By:
chopper9
When: 21 Dec 09 18:25
The "victim" of the Hussains attack has sufficiently recovered from his "brain damage" to commit several other offences. (On top of the the 50 or so before the attack). He has also refused to co-operate in helping to convict his two accomplices.
He did not receive a custodial sentance for attacking the Hussain family in their own home, tieing them up, holding a knife to their throats, (including women and children) and threatening to kill them, whilst the Hussains, who have no criminal convictions, got 30 months. Anyone who thinks that justice has been served here is an idiot.
By:
madsimon
When: 21 Dec 09 18:25
exactly chopper
By:
Doob
When: 21 Dec 09 18:28
The "victim" of the Hussains attack has sufficiently recovered from his "brain damage" to commit several other offences

I didn't know this, can you point me to where this is said?
By:
chopper9
When: 21 Dec 09 18:42
Salem was the only intruder caught after the incident in September last year, but his injuries meant that he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment. Salem, who has 50 past convictions, was given a two-year supervision order in September this year. He is now in custody awaiting trial for an alleged credit card fraud.

Extract from

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6956044.ece

Will find other links later
By:
subversion
When: 21 Dec 09 19:17
thats the other thing - only one of the intruders was caught (the one who got hit with the bat)

imagine how terrified the hussains must have been that the criminals who had just tortured (yes tortured, the definition fits) munir hussain and his family would return and exact further punishment

munir hussain was clearly not in his right mind at the time, how a judge can expect anyone to exert rational judgement about 'reasonable force' after such an ordeal is just incredible

the only criminal that was apprehended was done so thanks to munir hussains actions... the ones that were 'trusted to the state' to apprehend got away

munir hussain should be given a medal
By:
monmore man
When: 21 Dec 09 19:19
People like doob must be wind up merchants or billy no mates.
By:
Doob
When: 21 Dec 09 19:45
So he hasn't recovered from his brain damage!
You are all making good points and this whole case is a great discussion point so don't talk nonsense.

What is the problem, I've already said I would like to think I would do the same but it's wrong. I know our police force is hopeless and that they probably haven't bothered looking for the other 2 robbers because they were to busy arresting the Hussains.

But as soon as people take the law into their own hands it's anarchy!
By:
subversion
When: 21 Dec 09 19:53
again, 'taking the law into your own hands' implies rational judgement, which is a huge assumption in this case

munir hussain had just been subjected to an awful ordeal and was terrified for his own life and that of his family

if anyone had done that to my family, i wouldn't be thinking rationally, i'd be borderline insane with rage and fear

he was a normal, law-abiding citizen, and the law has failed him badly, in multiple ways - by jailing him, failing to jail the career criminal, and failing to apprehend the other attackers at all
By:
treetop
When: 21 Dec 09 20:00
One interesting aspect would have been to see how this was handled if the homeowner had been white instead of another Asian origin person ? Would some of the outcry have been more muted ? I think it isa disgrace that this man has been jailed when he could have been living in fear of retribution from the other two assailants to ensure he decided 'not to prosecute' for fear of his safety. The police would be absolutely no use to him late at night when they returned. He should be applauded all the way back home..
By:
Corky
When: 21 Dec 09 20:06
treetop 21 Dec 21:00
One interesting aspect would have been to see how this was handled if the homeowner had been white instead of another Asian origin person ? Would some of the outcry have been more muted ?

Treetop, you sound as if you've fell out of a treetop onto your head
By:
Helissio
When: 21 Dec 09 20:07
Technically I think the criminal in this case was African in origin, (from Egypt). The guy who broke into the Hussain's home.
By:
treetop
When: 21 Dec 09 20:14
I would say the same whatever colour corky. I only wish others would be as consistent.
By:
Corky
When: 21 Dec 09 20:21
Treetop, you're living in cuckooland if you think the outcry would have been more muted had a bunch of white men chased an asian burglar down the street and battered him to within an inch of his life.

There would be the biggest press circus since Michael Jackson croaked.

There would probably have been riots in the streets
By:
treetop
When: 21 Dec 09 20:25
I meant the outcry ON BEHALF of the householder corky,sorry if that wasn't clearly worded
By:
tobermory
When: 21 Dec 09 20:44
But as soon as people take the law into their own hands it's anarchy!

Anarchy more likely if people feel muggers and burglars can act with impunity.

'Taking the law into your own hands' i would define as when someone , after having an oppurtunity to calm down , then uses violence against the criminal.

Here it is clear in that, for Munir Hussain , it was just one incident ,starting with the knives being produced ,and continuin out into the street.

If you go into someone's home , threaten their family with torture and death , you are clearly going to provoke a primeval reaction, and it is absolutely ludicrous to expect someone is going to be 'reasonable' in such circumstances.

What Munir Hussain did was entirely understandable and no charges should have been brought.
By:
Prickard
When: 21 Dec 09 21:05
Anyone who defends these sentences does not understand human emotions.
By:
seanvice
When: 21 Dec 09 21:45
How can anyone say this man shouldnt be in jail is beyond me.

You cant just beat someone half to death on the road.
By:
Get me a drink
When: 21 Dec 09 23:24
seanservice

why are you angry at the victims of crime but not the perpetrators? I cannot for the life of me understand this point of view.
By:
blackburn1
When: 22 Dec 09 08:16
I notice a lack of luvvies on here, the ones who say burglars shouldn't go to jail when they are "only stealing to feed their drug habit".

Hands up alf and Dr J etc.

This piece of filth has 50 previous convictions, god knows how many houses he has burgled and how much misery and terror he has created. Jail the filth for 10 years the first time he's caught, it would send out a message and leave the rest of us in peace.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 22 Dec 09 09:27
Being overly harsh on the Hussains and letting off this**bag criminal will help in breeding hundreds more who perceive themselves above the law.

I agree Munir should be given a medal. How many burglars would think twice about doing so if he received some acclaim? Having chased burglars out of my family home, I feel nothing but sympathy for the guy.
By:
evski
When: 22 Dec 09 09:43
what I don't understand is how, on a jury of 12, he got convicted. Isn't the point of trial by jury that if your peers think you are innocent they do not convict you?

How many here would have given a guilty verdict?
By:
MRGRUMPY1
When: 22 Dec 09 10:02
evski 22 Dec 10:43
what I don't understand is how, on a jury of 12, he got convicted. Isn't the point of trial by jury that if your peers think you are innocent they do not convict you?

Anyone here know all the facts? Maybe it wasn't as straight forward as appears on the surface.
By:
chopper9
When: 22 Dec 09 13:11
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237632/New-let-brain-damaged-burglar-got-decent-man-sent-jail.html

Other offences committed by the**bag SINCE he suffered his "brain damage".
By:
Shab
When: 22 Dec 09 19:09
We should change the law so that a judge asks him who was with him on the burgalry.

If he refuses to answer, he gets imprisoned. Until he remembers. Even if that is forever.
By:
noddys ryde
When: 22 Dec 09 21:34
the jury did not know about the 50 previous convictions in order to protect the guilty. The judge did but by that time it was too late.
By:
subversion
When: 22 Dec 09 21:41
again, reading the details, i can see the point of view that Tokeers attack on the burglar was premeditated and rational, since he wasn't involved in being tied up and effectively tortured beforehand

but there is simply no way in hell that i can see how anyone could describe Munirs state of mind as in away way rational... he'd just been subjected to an appalling, brutal attack along with his family, beaten, threatened with death... as a law-abiding, non-violent guy, he must have been literally terrified out of his wits

and yet the judge treats it as if it was a premeditated revenge attack by Munir, rather than a guy driven to the edge and thinking he or his family were going to be killed if he didnt act

utterly f*cking ridiculous isnt it
By:
treetop
When: 22 Dec 09 21:48
agree 100% sub,laughable what these judges come out with at times. I often wonder if they ever get out on the streets at times.
By:
noddys ryde
When: 23 Dec 09 08:15
How did the judge direct the jury? Anyone got a tanscript?
By:
noddys ryde
When: 23 Dec 09 08:15
or a transcript even.
By:
alfie255
When: 23 Dec 09 09:58
I notice a lack of luvvies on here, the ones who say burglars shouldn't go to jail when they are "only stealing to feed their drug habit".

I might 'put my hand up' if you can prove i've ever said that.
By:
blackburn1
When: 23 Dec 09 10:08
You know damn well you said it, I'm not trawling around to verify it.

Go on then, what should happen to the brain damaged thief?
By:
noddys ryde
When: 23 Dec 09 10:11
black- he should be locked up until he grasses up and gives evidence against his 2 mates.
By:
blackburn1
When: 23 Dec 09 10:17
Yep, and then given 25 years on top
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo