SEASON 2013-14 P/L: -117.5pts ROI: -43.52%
(SEASON 2013 FINAL P/L: +85.23pts ROI: +20.79%)
A winner at last as Brendon Todd (@160) delivered on the potential he has shown throughout the season so far by taking the HP Byron Nelson Championship in Dallas last week.
The Tour remains in Texas this week for the Crowne Plaza Invitational from Colonial Country Club, a tournament demanding craft and guile which has normally gone to more experienced members of the PGA circuit.
Accuracy off the tee and the ability to shape the ball on the approaches to the greens will be paramount.
Zach Johnson (@15) and Jim Furyk (@16.5) seem sure to go well but are fairly easy to swerve at the prices. I can also see this being the type of event to suit the very talented Harris English (@65) but given their recent form and overall experience, I marginally prefer my top two picks over Georgian this week. My value selections follow.
Selections (all prices from Betfair unless stated):
John SENDEN 3pts @ 50
- The Aussie is a superb ball striker who is enjoying his best ever season (including a win) and this track seems certain to suit
- T8 here in 2011. 15th in GIR on Tour this season
- Has followed a solid T8 in the Masters with another three consecutive Top 30 finishes to show that he remains in very good heart
Louis OOSTHUIZEN 3pts @ 50
- Improved form of late and the South African finished T19 here two years ago
- Solid driver who won't mind if the usual Texas wind blows this week
Matt EVERY 1.5pts @ 85
- Enjoying a solid season which has included a win and a further four Top 10s
- Accurate type who T4 here last season
Bo VAN PELT 1pt @ 130
- A better showing in The Players Championship (T26) offers hope after not showing his usual consistency this season
- 3rd here three years ago, followed up with a T19 in 2012 and a T31 last season
Kevin STADLER 1pt @ 150
- Another player whose strength is accuracy who has already won on Tour this season
- 7th here in 2011. 19th in GIR on Tour this year
Jerry KELLY 0.5pts @ 320
- Steady sort with three previous wins on Tour
- Three Top 10s this season including a T6 in another Texas event at the end of March