Forums

Motor Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
fkqmz
08 May 14 14:25
| Topic/replies: 3,313 | Blogger: fkqmz's blog
Over the last 10 years, bookies have started to take over sporting venues and offer betting on site via contracts with the stadium owners.
Throughout all this, no one has touched Silverstone and the Grand Prix remains a potentially untapped market.
This said, business on motorsports is traditionally slow.
Anyone care to offer an opinion on why no one has attempted to set up at Silverstone or other motorsport venues, and whether this idea could potentially work?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 6
By:
Zazu
When: 08 May 14 18:27
because the race day market will be dominated by whoever sits on pole

Also 7 days prior to the event try getting a reasonable sized bet on any motorsport other than F1....

Its not like football where you can have scorecasts, first goalscorer etc
By:
Pounf
When: 09 May 14 23:34
I`ve worked on site at Silverstone for two F1 GP for the magic circle, back in the 90`s. Once in a booth in a car park, and the following more involved in the odds/liabilities. The costs were way bigger than anything we took. We had tents scattered all round the track with 2 staff in each, it was for two days, and everybody had to be put up close by. The expenses for food wages etc etc were humungous. Zazu is right, it was mostly singles on the F1 race, and very few bets on the other events. Consequently, it was a poor business mix, no profitable multiples and was doomed to lose money overall. The best result was Schumacher, at the time he wasnt liked much, well certainly for punting purposes by those at the track.
By:
Pounf
When: 09 May 14 23:36
PS I left the Magic circle before 2000 before anybody thinks Im still there
By:
Pounf
When: 09 May 14 23:43
I did Donington regularly for years during that time for them (hence the secondment to Silverstone), all the events. Even the big trucks, where we took naff all, and there was only one overtake in 3 days. The bikes were always good and the clientele great fun. I found the Touring cars people were nowhere near as nice. After a while we operated with books and tickets (like old style bookies), rather than betting slips, as you could call round the track and at least would have some clue as to what we`d laid. The commentary booth for the bikes there was different class, friendly, accomodating and always happy to shout the odds out. Always enjoyed going up there. Not so much the cars, I felt like I was intruding on a private meeting.
By:
Pounf
When: 10 May 14 13:58
oops ....costs way bigger than anything we won , not took. Although this was expected, I think it was considered all too unwieldy to carry on. Dont forget the track needed to be paid as well I believe.
By:
Zazu
When: 10 May 14 15:37
I remember when the British Touring Cars series was awesome. Most of the big manufacturers throwing mega bucks at it.

If you want to make money at a race track just sell drinks. £2.50 bottle of water more for soft drinks. On a hot day its like having a printing machine Devil
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com