Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
fkqmz
28 Oct 12 21:21
| Topic/replies: 3,313 | Blogger: fkqmz's blog
Today's race got me thinking about the Tilkedromes (modern F1 tracks designed by the official F1 track designer Hermann Tilke). They're all pretty much the same, 1 or 2 adjacent enormous straits followed by 1m + of fast flowing corners which play into the hands of whichever car happens to have the best mechanical grip - usually whichever car is designed by Adrian Newey (who should be knighted imho by the way). This year, 9.5 of the tracks are Tilkedromes - the half being hockenheim. Is it any wonder the Newey cars dominate the championships? It cannot possibly be healthy for the sport to have 1 guy designing all the tracks - no matter how good he is. I believe his tracks lead to dull processional nonsense like we saw today and I for one would like to see another track designer brought it to freshen up the idea bank somewhat.

Rant Over Angry
Show More
Report ocukstinky October 28, 2012 11:00 PM GMT
All his tracks have RIDICULOUSLY long straights on, really is no need for it. No proper overtaking opportunities on most of them either, once you were past turn 4 in India you had no chance until the same corner the next lap. It's a bitch to drive on F1 2012 too Crazy
Report GPT October 29, 2012 9:23 AM GMT
fzqmstinky in being correct for once shockerSurprised
Report ocukstinky October 29, 2012 11:13 AM GMT
This is a momentous day.
Report Zazu October 29, 2012 12:16 PM GMT
Confused

fast corners favour cars with the best aero. mechanical grip is slow corners

As Singapore and Suzuka showed the Red Bull is pretty handy in both. The problem Ferrari and Mclaren have is the Red Bull esp in the hands of Vettel  is so dominant in qualifying they can then control the race.

Austen is a Tilke track and based on videos and F1 2012 looks to be one of the best circuits they visit.
Report bb66 October 31, 2012 12:34 AM GMT
Most boring track is Monza, but I'm not fond of replacing the classical tracks by new Tilke desinged ones year by year, if Spa will be dropped it's good night reallySad
Report f1 fan October 31, 2012 5:47 PM GMT
how about a track design where part way down a long straight the track forks off to the left and the right, both sides are exact mirror images of each other before merging back on the straight. during a race each driver can only favour one side by 60% and must alternate sides in any quali sesion that way a faster car would not be held up by slower cars such as webber or massa backing up the pack. ban the stupid overtake buttons (drs and kers), simply rely on the driver/car combo speed/skill for passes. it would need to be designed so that the cars dont brake until they have forked off so they dont cross over under braking.

i think it would be a great and different idea. so good i'll (c) copyright (lol) it cos i dont think its ever been done before as its not the same as the rally sections where they have two identical tracks.
Report fkqmz October 31, 2012 7:01 PM GMT
LaughLaugh what a stupid idea LaughLaugh

fork off you moron!
Report f1 fan October 31, 2012 8:37 PM GMT
i knew fkqmz would be first to say that, ocukstinky will be next.
Report ocukstinky November 4, 2012 3:04 PM GMT

Oct 31, 2012 -- 12:47PM, f1 fan wrote:

how about a track design where part way down a long straight the track forks off to the left and the right, both sides are exact mirror images of each other before merging back on the straight. during a race each driver can only favour one side by 60% and must alternate sides in any quali sesion that way a faster car would not be held up by slower cars such as webber or massa backing up the pack. ban the stupid overtake buttons (drs and kers), simply rely on the driver/car combo speed/skill for passes. it would need to be designed so that the cars dont brake until they have forked off so they dont cross over under braking.i think it would be a great and different idea. so good i'll (c) copyright (lol) it cos i dont think its ever been done before as its not the same as the rally sections where they have two identical tracks.

Erm, you never had scalextric (or however you spell it) as a kid..?

Report f1 fan November 8, 2012 7:46 PM GMT
scalextric  is different as it has two lanes and you switch lanes and usually crash.

might sound a daft idea but i'd like to see it done even if was just a simulator. got to be better than overtake buttons.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com