Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
warringtonwire
07 Jul 12 19:30
| Topic/replies: 1,608 | Blogger: warringtonwire's blog
A total farce. Russia play a joker because they are so far behind and basically get 3 extra points. End up winning by 1 point from Poland who weren't allowed to play theirs.  Imagine a football team being awarded a goal because the other team is beating them comfortably. It's the World Cup ffs.
Pause Switch to Standard View Speedway World Cup
Show More
Report The Pies July 7, 2012 8:42 PM BST
Not that dissimilar to the play-offs in footie and many other sports, in footie one team finishes well clear of the other over 46 matches then has get through another 3 to claim a promotion place.

At least this is about entertainment rather than ££££££.
Report worcesterwilly July 8, 2012 10:14 AM BST
What if a rider gets injured in heat 1 his side have NO CHANCE!

Sky with that pillock Pearson is so blinked towards Greg " Herby fecking Hancock"...

Fair play to the ruskies for winning but any final without Poland and Denmark would be a travesty....

Denmark,Poland,probably UK and Czech's in play off hard to see Danes not winning that!

Cant see why not a 5 national final with 4 programmed riders and a back up reserve.....
Report billy July 8, 2012 10:36 AM BST
That was fantastic entertainment and I think you both make valid points
Report The Pies July 8, 2012 3:08 PM BST
Willy, the reserve issue needs resolving. They did have them 2 or 3 years ago and I think they were only supposed to replace injured riders but the Poles, as I recall, got the doctor to withdraw one of their underperforming team members with some mysterious ailment.

Unlike league racing there are no averages to determine who the reserve should be. Not sure what the answer is but you're right an injury would bugger a meeting up.

That was a cracking last heat but feel that Gollob mucked up as he did in one of the GPs by not riding a bit more conservatively once he got in front.
Report worcesterwilly July 9, 2012 3:51 PM BST
TP

I've ridden (albeit at 2nd half level) and watched speedway for 4 decades and seen all the top guys at close quarters from Olsen,Penhall,Gundersen,Neilson etc.....I have never seen anyone with the natural ability Gollob has (with the possible exception of Zenon Plech and Kelly Moran) but may be that is Thomas's undoing - he does the things others would find impossible and then switches off and gives it away again...

My own personal view of the last heat was that having got to the front he looked to see where Sayfutdinov was and in so doing drifted wide and lost the race as a result...

Poland and Denmark would be finalists but I think Manilla will favour the Danes in the play-offs
Report scarecrow July 9, 2012 8:16 PM BST
this joker system is a joke very unfair,whats the point of doing really well,you can be the best team on the night and still not win.it is a ridiculous rule.i can understand they want it close for spectators but even so it cannot be right.
Report C1rclemaster July 10, 2012 12:38 AM BST
Joke or not its here to stay, bottom line is GB just not enough. couldnt win even with batchelor having an absolute shocker, all 4 teams used the joker option tonight so there cant be any complaints, as for tonights referee, wtf was he doing? No red light after Holder ploughed into Harris, then he changes the result after letting the race continue, a truely shocking performance
Report worcesterwilly July 10, 2012 7:30 AM BST
In fairness to GB they collectively rode above their abilities imho.

Harris needs either some decent equipment or someone who knows what he is doing mechanic wise as his rate of machine failures is staggering - you can accept a run of blow-up's that happens but piddly little ignition issues are unforgivable...

Nicholls rode as well has he has done for 4/5 years despite injury,Woffiden if he can just become a tad more professional could be our best long-term propsect....King did as well as he could.

Behind that we have the likes of Kennett,Auty,Bridger and Barker all of whom have promised much but not got to the next stage but all have time still to develop....

The Kings Lynn track was excellent and Manilla track should hold no fears but one suspects Poland and the Danes will be too strong - as for the referee - A CLOWN!

Finally, in respect of 2 hours or so TV viewing - exciting, unpredicatble, spectacular......more please!
Report The Pies July 10, 2012 8:11 AM BST
Agree cracking meeting and, I would 'controversially' say,further aided by the Joker system keeping the scores so close.

To throw something in from left field, why don't we make this a genuine team event and have pairs of riders from each team in races. Obviously still only 4 riders per race so not every team would be in every race but it would add a further dimension to an event that has generally produced the goods.
Report worcesterwilly July 10, 2012 11:45 AM BST
Thats a cracking idea....

IMHO The Grand Prix individual format is creeking as there quite simply aren't the depth of riding talent there were 30 years ago...

In the 70's and 80's up to 12-14 Elite level sides in the UK would have heat leaders and 2nd strings who would WALK in to the current GP.

The ongoing success of a clique of over 35's beholden with money made from the GP over a decade that perpetuates them proves that!

Time for a true Speedway World Cup that could be split in to say 4 Groups...

Australia,America,NZ and one other qualifier maybe Canada or South Africa

Sweden,Denmark,Russia and one other qualifier maybe Finland

England,Poland,Czechoslovakia and one other qualifier maybe Germany

With the option for smaller nations like Italy,France,old Soviet states etc to develop and gain entry...

Initially a league with 5 riders per team - 4 main rider and a reserve riding in pairs ....

Having seen Mark Webber at KL last night and his interest in Speedway surely someone like RED BULL could sponsor it - would be petty cash to them compared to what they throw in to F1 and other motor sports.....and yet give them large exposure...

THERE IS LETS BE HONEST.....NO BETTER motor sport entertainment in an arena setting over 2 hours....
Report C1rclemaster July 12, 2012 5:48 PM BST
Race Off tonight, cant see beyond the danes myself, main bets for me are Denmark -20 v Czech and MJJ -3.5 v Kus, the later was 5/6 now 8/15, MJJ scored 17 in a ;eague match recently, tonight just 4 could be enough as i cant see Kus troubling the judge very often if at all.
Report billy July 14, 2012 4:26 PM BST
Are the jokers used in the final as well ?
Report roo July 14, 2012 4:43 PM BST
This should be a corking final, ive no view, just looking forward to it.
Report billy July 14, 2012 4:51 PM BST
Yep thrills and spills all the way..... they're never more competitive than this
Report billy July 14, 2012 4:55 PM BST
Just remembered they do use the jokers
Report fouraces July 14, 2012 5:26 PM BST
Sweden look a lay to me. I know they have home advantage but lack strength in depth to challenge Australia and Denmark. GL with all bets.
Report moscowmills July 14, 2012 5:50 PM BST
Australia with the addition of Darcy Ward at his Swedish home track look bet material at 2.5. Agree with lay of Sweden.
Report C1rclemaster July 14, 2012 6:11 PM BST
im against the Danes, think it might just be a step to far for the youngsters. but fair play to them for chucking them in ... hope the rain doesnt turn it into a farce and its a good clean meeting
Report C1rclemaster July 14, 2012 6:21 PM BST
looks like a night of poor viewing,whoever copes best with the outside gates will prob win
Report scarecrow July 14, 2012 7:44 PM BST
crafty niki there letting crump by Laugh
Report fouraces July 14, 2012 7:48 PM BST
Crumpy looked gutted to take 2nd-great thinking by NP
Report warringtonwire July 14, 2012 7:58 PM BST
I refer back to my original post. A total ****ing farce.
Report lonesome July 14, 2012 7:59 PM BST
The farcical joker rule whilst meant to make it all more exciting is actually ruining the racing and creating dangerous situations.

Hardly clever by NP to start all this. A simpleton could have
thought of it... but it's not racing and it could put genuine proper honest racers at risk. Well done NP. Idiot.
Report warringtonwire July 14, 2012 8:02 PM BST
But it's the World Cup final - we want to see the best team win by as many points as they can. Why are we trying to help weaker teams to finish closer. If they aren't good enough, that is their problem.Why not give them a lap start as well ?  A total joke.
Report C1rclemaster July 14, 2012 8:03 PM BST
Total joke and only the ref is to blame here, he shud have excluded Nikki in the previous race for NOT RACING.

Watt was fully wised up for his race, only surprise was the heat didnt finish 3..2..0..0

Danes deserve to win and the kids have been amazing, but i dont like the way its ended
Report fouraces July 14, 2012 8:18 PM BST
Justice was done in the end-Denmark have been the best side all night-not being able to play there joker and still coming out on top.
Report scarecrow July 14, 2012 8:20 PM BST
yes it would have been a total farce if anyone else won tonight.they really need to get rid of the joker system though as it looked like the best team might have not won tonight which would have been farcial for the sport.
Report The Pies July 14, 2012 8:20 PM BST
I know it makes the sport look a laughing stock but it did make the end of the meeting entertaining. Rule just needs to be altered not to allow joker in last 4 races.
Report billy July 15, 2012 9:41 AM BST
Was a shame but at least Pedersen's actions will/bloody well should prevent this nonsense from happening again.

Still a great event and the Danes rode brilliantly. Would've have a been such an injustice if they hadn't won
Report moisok July 15, 2012 7:25 PM BST
i loved the hypocrite pederson complaining about the joker situation after the way he rode!!!???
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com