Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
baracouda30
17 May 11 19:11
| Topic/replies: 7,534 | Blogger: baracouda30's blog
Just finished this book by Tom Rubython.

Only a tenner from Waterstone's and a hefty piece. Repeats itself a number of times and some of the proof-reading is poor but in general a good read and some stuff in there I didn't know before.

His salaries towards the end of his life were huge, 15/16 million a year (US dollars) in his last couple of years at McLaren though he took a pay-cut to go to Williams, to 8 million a year. His 3 year contract with Williams was paid-up after his death, which I didn't realise.

Goes into depth about the crash, and that whole chapter still had me fighting back tears 17 years on. 

He seems to have planned to stay at Williams for just two years before (ideally) seeing out his career with Ferrari.

I wonder if he'd joined Ferrari in 1996 (as perhaps a 4 or 5 times champion) how things would have gone for Schumacher.

We will, of course, never know.
Pause Switch to Standard View The Life of Senna
Show More
Report Zazu May 18, 2011 6:33 PM BST
Even with inflation I imagine it no where near what schumacher was getting in his prime.

Never understand why people speculate on what mine have been with sport stars. so many ifs and buts
Report stinnkymonkey May 21, 2011 7:46 PM BST
I hope the film lives up to the hype I still vividly remember the day he died
Report GPT May 21, 2011 8:13 PM BST
Never liked him myself bit too arrogant and responsible for the ram your opponent off the track tactics we see today,never liked that bizarre throttle technique either.
Was racing European champs at Donington the day he died,crackly black and white TV in the motorhome showing the race,a sombre day.
Report GPT May 21, 2011 8:13 PM BST
Never liked him myself bit too arrogant and responsible for the ram your opponent off the track tactics we see today,never liked that bizarre throttle technique either.
Was racing European champs at Donington the day he died,crackly black and white TV in the motorhome showing the race,a sombre day.
Report Roger De Bris May 26, 2011 2:39 AM BST
In 2009 Autosport did a poll of 217 current and former Formula 1 drivers and Ayrton was named as the greatest F1 driver of all-time. That's good enough for me. Some of those pole position laps at Monaco are stunning to watch. The fastest of all-time, no doubt.
Report baracouda30 May 26, 2011 9:54 AM BST
Best driver over the 1988-94 period (arguably you could say 1987-94). However, in any single year there was Prost as team-mate, Mansell in the Williams, then Prost in the Williams, then Schumacher in the Benetton) so there was usually a big challenge to him from someone, unlike when Schumacher dominated from 2000-2004.

Everyone remembers Donington 1993, but there were other times when in an inferior car (like the 1992/3 McLaren) he drove to a level no-one else could have.
Report ocukstinky May 26, 2011 2:45 PM BST
What baffles me, GPT, is that you call Senna arrogant and responsible for certain tactics employed today, yet you arse-kiss Hamilton who is EXACTLY both of those?
Report GPT May 26, 2011 7:27 PM BST
Arse-kiss LaughLewis is not arrogant never has been and you don't see him running people off the track in Sennas' manner.
Report Zazu May 26, 2011 8:01 PM BST
Lewis is not arrogant never has been

fishing surely [smiley:crazy]
Report jermaine defonebox May 29, 2011 11:17 AM BST
I remember  all that stuff about him signing autographs for the mechanics children and the guy that had all those photos just before the race well weird and very moving i cant wait for the film
Report TENDY May 29, 2011 3:28 PM BST
SENNA - THE BEST DRIVER FORMULA ONE HAS EVER SEEN. FACT.

P.S. SCHUMACHERS FALL INTO THE ABOVE CATEGORY OF ARROGANT AND SHUNTING PEOPLE OFF. OH AND LEWIS AS DONE THAT TODAY TOO.
Report TonyTodd June 14, 2011 2:57 PM BST
By: This user is online. GPT
Date Joined: 30 Dec 03 Add contact When: 26 May 11 19:27 Arse-kiss Lewis is not arrogant never has been and you don't see him running people off the track in Sennas' manner.

you are a prize idiot. Laugh
Report GPT June 14, 2011 10:32 PM BST
Well factually Senna isn't the best driver F1 has ever seen FYI.
Report IamTheOracle June 16, 2011 10:04 AM BST
An inspirational man who just had that special way. Why is Lewis Hamilton getting mentioned in this thread along side such a great man??

The difference with Hamilton is he is a like many have put it before classless and gives of no vibe or aura. You do get drawn to him as you feel the need to punch him
Report baracouda30 June 17, 2011 10:04 AM BST
SENNA Poles 65 Wins 41 Races 161
PROST Poles 33 Wins 51 Races 199
MANSELL Poles 32 Wins 31 Races 187
PIQUET Poles 24 Wins 23 Races 204
SCHUMACHER Poles 68 Wins 91 Races 275
HAKKINEN Poles 26 Wins 20 Races 161
ALONSO Poles 20 Wins 26 Races 165

Interesting comparison. Pole in 40% of his races, way ahead of anyone else. Yet, a quite poor "conversion rate". Reliability more of an issue in Senna's day I would guess, yet Prost's figures do tend to suggest he had more "race-craft".
Report Zazu June 17, 2011 2:14 PM BST
anyone seen it? going to watch it over the weekend

vettels running at 30% - 47% whilst at red bull Cool

schumey currently ruining his stats Laugh

wouldnt read to much into them though. for starters when drivers had to qualify with race fuel they could be on the 2nd row but still miles faster than everyone else
Report Zazu June 18, 2011 10:27 PM BST
film is good documentary, critical reception very excessive though imvho
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com