Forums

Motor Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
fkqmz
03 May 11 10:13
| Topic/replies: 3,313 | Blogger: fkqmz's blog
Forthe love of god will someone....... anyone put some odds up Cry

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 34
By:
brentford
When: 06 Jun 11 10:18
Not related to betting I'm afraid - but having seen a bit of both GP2 and FR 3.5 so far this season,
who do we see as most likely to be the next graduate in to F1 ?

Of the GP2 boys,
Grosjean joint leader of the championship has obviously had one shot at F1 already, though I think he was slightly harshly dealth with.
It's pretty difficult currently with the lack of testing  to come straight into an F1 drive as he did and noteable how many teams have started to make use of free practice to give reserve drivers time in the car - don't recall him having that opportunity at Renault though I may be wrong.

Sam Bird continues to have some results that don't appear to reflect his clear ability and Jules Bianchi seems to be finding more than his fair share of incidents so far this year when a fair bit was expected.

Formula Renault 3.5 obviously have Ricciardo getting some practice time for Torro Rosso and continuing to put in some very solid drives in the FR3.5 championship despite missing races
and I'd have thought Buemi must be vulnerable sooner rather than later.

Jean Eric Vergne has made a very quick transition from the British Formula 3 Championship to leading the Renault series and looks destined to be a relative fast tracker in to F1 at the moment.

Alex Rossi very highly touted by quite a few people in the motor sport media and not doing himself any harm so far this season (3rd in championship)

Worth mentioning some of the talent already waiting in the wings of F1 though with Hulkenberg surely due a full drive again soon and Bruno Senna still waiting a proper chance after what was probably a poor decision to take the drive @ HRT last season.

Any views welcome as we try to drag the motor sport forum from the depths it's currently at.
By:
fkqmz
When: 07 Jun 11 11:22
thanks brentford nice post
have to admit i dont follow FR (probably because it doesnt accompany grands prix) but from GP2, grosjean, van der garde, sam bird and jules bianchi amongst others will surely find a way into F1 at some point - although i think theyll all struggle to make any impact since none of them are all that special! the only one that really interests me in GP2 atm (and i do apologise for sounding like a broken record) is Gutierrez. 19yo rookie whos not exactly set the series alight so far. he's had some bad luck - and some crashes :/ -  but if you watch the boy race, you can see he's got all the skills. he's fast he can overtake, he can drive in the wet and he's building up some great experience for such a young age. also has Telmex behind him so he's well backed! he's the only one that i think MAY go on to become a really top driver.

the real travesty is the treatment of hulkenburg though, how he's ended up without a drive this year beggers belief cause he really is an interesting talent. considering the amount of distinctly average drivers there is in F1 atm its a shame he's been left out. still as you say, he'll surely get another chance!
By:
brentford
When: 07 Jun 11 12:13
I remember you mentioning Gutierrez in his GP3 season,
Backing so important these days -
I guess for his age it's really just a season for experience and getting used to the car/racing in GP2 and we'll get a real idea of his talent next season.

On a slight tangent,
Just wondering which F1 drives are most likely to open up for next year (or even late in this season if teams opt to give new drivers a 'trial' of sorts for next season.

I mentioned Buemi as a possibility,
Do we see Trulli and Barrichello going on for yet another season ?
I think I'd be tempted look beyond both those guys now - though experience for car set up obviously tends to favour them.
Surely at Lotus (the air asia version) Kovalainen has enough miles under him for that role.
Less clear cut at Williams with Maldonado the no.2

Sutil not long ago was getting a lot of plaudits but having been largely outshone by Di Resta, it maybe wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Hulkenberg move from reserve at his expense with Sutil moving to another F1 drive.

Schumi at the absolute limit now on age and despite a slight improvement of late do Merc really want another year of him ?

Massa surely out of Ferrari at the end of the year despite having a contract ?

Most of the noises from Red Bull seem to suggest Webber may well be back again and Mclaren happy enough with their line up I'd think (don't start !! Mischief  )
By:
fkqmz
When: 08 Jun 11 19:45
wow ok....

Gutierrez - yeah absolutely, couldnt agree more, this is a year for him to grow up a little bit and learn a bit about more serious racing. he's having a lot of bad luck atm, which i never believe is coincidental - its inexperience and throwing him into F1 next year would be a HUGE mistake. thats not to say it wont happen, particularly id he starts picking up podiums cause telmex may well come in and pay off kobayashi's contract to get Gutierrez in the race seat (he's already test and reserve driver). The evidence so far suggests that if this happens, its more likely to be his breaking than his making!

but say it does - where does kobayashi go, cause hes definitely worth a drive. Well ive already indicated i think barrichello is finished. he's not really driving Williams forward the way they intended him to when they took him on. In fact he's causing a lot of friction with all his moaning and i have to say, i think the sensible decision would be for him to finish at Interlagos this year! kobayashi i think fits the Williams bill nicely. Exciting, talented and reletively cheap i think hed be wuite attractive to them. maybe he'll pre-empt the fact that sauber are blatantly going to make this change sooner or later, and leave now while his stocks high. maybe he won't Laugh we'll see

agree with your thoughts on lotus, i think trulli will go, kovi will stay and theyll bring in someone else. who? probably one of the 4 GP2 drivers mentioned above. i wont sit on the fence - Bianchi drives for Lotus ART in GP2 now, it'll probably be him even though he's on Ferraris books, he's not ready to be Alonso's rear gunner just yet Mischief

Williams have shown that theyre No2 will be whoever offers the most money. for as long as thats pudding maldonado, he'll keep the seat. cant see him getting another 1.

Mercedes is the interesting one. i think they want an all German team much like mclaren want an all bottling team - ahem i mean an all British team. I think they should go for Hulkenberg, he deserves it! which kind of leaves force india how it is ofr now.

Red Bull and Mclaren will stick for at least one more year - basically because theres no good drivers really pushing to take seats away from the likes of webber and button (and dare i suggest hamilton - i wont start but i genuinely believe he's been underperforming since Monza last year and seriously needs to up his game). Kubica was in that exact position 12 months ago but not now. sadly i fear he's finished.

Will massa be replaced? who knows -  maybe they'll wait for Bianchi, maybe they'll bin him and go for someone else. i dont know who i'd only be guessing........ petrov? senna? i think secretly they'd love an Italian.
By:
fkqmz
When: 08 Jun 11 19:46
and i nearly forgot torro rosso. ricciardo will surely be thrown in next year. he looks better than buemi and jaime put together from what ive seen, which probably leaves them to fight it out for the other seat. Grin
By:
brentford
When: 09 Jun 11 09:00
Interesting stuff Fkqmmz,
Slightly ironic that Japan has finally produced a guy that appears to have some real talent and they have virtually no influence in f1 currently.
I suspect (or is it hope ?) he'd show decent loyalty to Sauber so maybe by mutual agreement as and when - and as you say Williams not the worst fit when the time comes.

The one potentially decent drive that I failed to mention was the Genni Lotus Renault,
If Kubica doesn't make it back I can't see them sticking with Heidfeld and I think they'd be advised to lose Petrov as well - though the sponsorship he brings complicates that.
Senna could maybe move up from reserve there - though I'm not entirely convinced he's actually that good !

Think all the younger drivers need to be very wary of going to either Virgin or HRT (wouldn't be a surprise to see HRT fold sooner rather than later) - can easily stop a career in it's tracks,
poor old Glock a bit of a forgotten man at the moment and could easily do a job somewhere higher up the grid I'd have thought.

I notice Wickens who's looked quite solid in Gp3 & FR3.5 has been added to Virgin's reserves.
By:
fkqmz
When: 09 Jun 11 09:14
Robert Wickens is an interesting one, he's certainly got something abot him but ive not seen enough of him to really make a judgement yet. i would say though that when i have seen him, he's failed to do anything headturningly spectacular - he was on pole for GP3 when i was at Spa and binned it on his own at the first corner Cry still - i wouldnt write him off just on that evidence so if he starts riping up trees in FR he might be worth a shot
By:
fkqmz
When: 10 Jun 11 19:36
Laugh wickens has just been on doing the commentry for second practice. seems an intelligent, likable kind of bloke. gl to him
By:
GPT
When: 11 Jun 11 10:48
And he's not black always a bonus for fqzmstinkyLaugh
By:
brentford
When: 11 Jun 11 11:11
Would be interesting to know if this had been a European round whether Sauber would have given Gutierrez the drive this weekend - that would have been a rather in at the deep end situation to say the least !
He's not in Canada apparently so presumably that's the only reason we aren't getting a first look at him in F1.
By:
fkqmz
When: 12 Jun 11 09:15
i assume so yeah, he tweeted to say that he was ready but had no idea this was going to happen. goes without saying that the team should have had him there just in cas. i have to say though whether the team asked me to go or not, i think id have found an excuse to be in montreal this weekend if i was him! its a right royal fk up by all concerned that he's not driving. dlr certainty not to classify!
By:
fkqmz
When: 24 Jun 11 10:40
GP2 practicerecently finished as follows

Bianchi 1:47.681
Van Der Garde +0.055
Filippi +0.433
Grosjean +0.508
Pic +0.525
Clos +0.627
Bird +0.775
Gutierrez +0.803
Valsecchi +0.839
Vietoris +1.026

excellent lap for mjules bianchi which he pulled out of the bag at the very end of the session. he's the one to beat atm
By:
fkqmz
When: 24 Jun 11 11:21
full report available here

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News/2011/06_June/Bianchi-steals-top-spot-in-practice/
By:
fkqmz
When: 24 Jun 11 15:05
and qualifying finished as follows:-

position : car no : name : team : laps completed : best time : speed (kph) : time best lap was set

Pic 1:46.675
van der Garde + 0.052
Grosjean +0.096
Filippi +0.278
Gutierrez +0.320
Bird +0.341
Clos +0.366
Valsecchi +0.454
Bianchi +0.662
Ericsson +0.742

Excellent result for my horse, his best 3 sectors would have put him on the front row but we'll conveniently forget about that and enjoy a good result :)
By:
brentford
When: 26 Jun 11 09:37
Very impressive drive in race 2 from Gutierrez.
Made a couple of minor errors yesterday in race 1 but looks very encouraging for him long term.
Bianchi finding trouble as usual this weekend but went well from low down the field in race 2.
By:
fkqmz
When: 26 Jun 11 09:52
YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

nothings going to spoil my sunday now

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
By:
fkqmz
When: 12 Jul 11 20:40
hmmm not the greatest weekend on the gp2 front. quali was a bit random with rain falling not very far into the session and ending the competitive lap times immediately. my boy was 8th, despite his best lap starting in the dry and finishing in torrential rain! am convinced that if it had rained 30s later, hed have been on the front row. anyway race 1 and having pulled off 3 cracking moves in a lap and a half to get up to 5th, gutierrez succumbed to the conditions and spun off at club (on slicks on a damp track), undoing all his hard work and destroying his tyres for the rest of the race. finished 11th Plain race 2 he did a solid job, held a good pace but wasnt fast enough to pass anyone above 8th. reasonable job overall and hopefully some lessons learned.

more generally, jules bianchi looks every inch ready for F1 now and is surely a shoe in for Trullis drive at Lotus next year. Sam Bird also looks good although i think he'll find it tough to find a good drive as he's not doing anything particularly stellar atm. the rest of them are pants and i dont know why some of them continue to insist on knocking on a door thats never going to get opened! anyway.....

as for GP3, much to be excited about from a british POV, Lewis Williamson, Adrain Quaiffe-Hobbs, Dean Smith and most significantly Alex Sims all had excellent weekends. Sims looks the class of the field from this week's evidence which ,considering his experience is probably no surprise but he'll be in GP2 next season i'm sure. Race 1 was hilarious - the field set off from the grid on the green flag lap on a dampish track, some had gone for slicks, some had gambled on wets. During the green flag lap the heavens OPENED biblically and everyone on slicks pulled in to change onto wets. This left less than half the cars actually taking to the grid. better than that, the man left in pole - nico muller - lost position to Michael Christianson despite starting about 3 rows ahead of him! Total farce but very funny. Sims was a bit special, moving from 12th on lap 1 to 2nd at the end running 2s a lap faster than anyone else on the drying track.

Excellent weekend's entertainment Happy
By:
fkqmz
When: 13 Jul 11 12:00
http://en.espnf1.com/gp2/motorsport/story/54126.html

GP2 Asia and main series to merge from 2012. i think this is a great idea and they might as well go the whole hog and support every grand prix. gp2 needs some serious publicity and exposure cause its a great series and should be a lot more popular than it currently is. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
By:
brentford
When: 13 Jul 11 14:10
Was a hell of a battle between Bianchi and Vietoris for a few laps in the first GP2 race -

Only seen the odd glimpses of GP3 so far this season but both Sims and Williamson who you mention have caught the eye a bit.

(just re Bianchi's most likely F1 opp - I'm not sure it's likely to be at the Tony Fernandes backed  Lotus team.
Lotus Art despite the colour scheme are backed by the car company Fernandes was rowing with as I understand it.)
By:
fkqmz
When: 14 Jul 11 08:06
perhapd not, in fact he's been called to a h2h test against perez for ferrari in september (both are ferrari developement drivers). felipe massa must be clearing his diary to follow that one! should be interesting though, i think perez will win.
By:
fkqmz
When: 18 Jul 11 11:20
http://en.espnf1.com/gp2/motorsport/story/54342.html

Sam Bird's column from ESPNF1, generally a good read.
By:
fkqmz
When: 25 Oct 11 16:34
resurrection of the GP2 thread. just to say that with the migration of GP2 to F1 format tyres and points system, it is surely time for GP2 to be considered a true second flight of formula 1 - and given the tv coverage and exposure it deserves.

It's a great series, competitive, unpredictable and entertaining - not to mention the fact that it's producing all the best young F1 stars. come on sky, take the opportunity to be the first to screen it alongside F1. It's about time the world discovered it!
By:
fkqmz
When: 14 Nov 11 12:39
disappointing anticlimax on the gp2 this week i thouhgt. was expecting a good race after how tight qualifying was but thought the 2 first lap incidents between clos/kral and then gutierrez/coletti it kind of killed the race and leimer didnt have to do too much. great job by him though he really is on form at the moment and it will interesting to see how he fairs in the sauber on thursday.

good job also by dillman and colado, both should be in gp2 next year and i think both face pivotal years as to how they will go forward. still think gutierrez will walk away with next year's championship. he's the class of the field and showed it by moving from 21st to 5th in a dry spring race, including making 4 places on the last lap! only bad luck can stop him Grin
By:
brentford
When: 25 Nov 11 14:14
didn't see any of the GP2 event at Abu Dhabi  - was desperately looking for a Eurosport repeat or live ??

J.E. Vergne looking the part in general so far both F1 tests and free practice opps  - Red Bull almost in danger of cultivating too many of their own decent young drivers, not sure they will be always picking the right ones and with the ever increasing sponsorship revenue considerations (though least of all @ redbull) , to a relative oldie (pushing 40) do tend to wonder how many true talents are being lost along the way.

I can't say I feel any of Petrov, Maldonado (sponsor driven) or currently Barrichello, Trulli & Massa (proper drivers but of little current value) are still their on true merit..

Hulkenberg in particular seems a most obvious waste though hopefully likely to be rectified.
By:
fkqmz
When: 25 Nov 11 16:15
its all on the tube, tbh i turned race 1 off after 15 mins cause they were just about sorted into finishing order so i gave up. race 2 was good though. last few laps were crazy for the minor points places - great watch.

dont disagree with any of your thoughts, why nico hulkenburg has not been in a race car this year i dont know, he's beaten sutil again in FP1 today iirc and his talent is plain to see. have to say though that im not sure there's really been that much top talent coming into f1 recently. bar lewi sham the last 5 years have been generally fruitless. i thought kovi might do better - didnt turn out to be the case. i remember once being convinced taku sato would be japans best ever driver - again, didn't turn out like that.

i wonder whether theres something going wrong now at the point where drivers first enter the sport cause where montoya and raikkonen hit the ground running and really took off in their first couple of years, hulkenburg and (crash helmet on) alguersuari (??) who might of gone the same way, havn't. still identifying the problem is one thing, rectifying it could be quite another.
By:
fkqmz
When: 28 Feb 12 22:30
Hi fkqmz,

Thanks for your email.

I have forwarded your query on to our sports traders who have informed me that we will be putting prices up for this competition (GP2) although this will only be for the individual races and will not be priced up until roughly 24 hours before each race.

I hope that this has answered your query, if not then please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Customer Care Team

CoolCoolVictory at lastCoolCool
By:
fkqmz
When: 28 Feb 12 22:32
daniel, i will be holding you to your word! Grin
By:
fkqmz
When: 22 Mar 12 13:36
a momentous day today as someone finally offers betting for GP2, sporting bet price up the series as follows:-

Davide Valsecci 3.50
Esteban Gutierrez 4.00
Giedo Van der Garde 5.00
Max Chilton 5.00
Marcus Ericsson 9.00
Jolyon Palmer 17.00
James Calado 21.00
Fabio Leimer 26.00
Fabrizio Crestani 26.00
Stefano Coletti 26.00
Tom Dillmann 34.00
Fabio Onidi 51.00
Josef Kral 51.00
Johnny Cecotto67.00
Luiz Razia 81.00
Stephane Richelmi 81.00
Nigel Melker 101.00
Julian Leal 126.00
Felipe Nasr 201.00
Simon Trummer 201.00
Rodolfo Gonzalez 251.00
Jon Lancaster 501.00
Nathanael Berthon 1001.00
Ricardo Teixeira 1001.00

So its quite disappointing to see its clearly no secret Gutierrez is the most likely winner. However he is no value, along with veterans Valsecchi and VDG. the value is in Leimer and Colletti at 25s. Leimer is a driver with career momentum, a lot of talent and good car! He is the one I would be backing at this stage (particularly if there's any sniff of a place market Grin)

Enjoy anyway, it's going to be entertaining!
By:
fkqmz
When: 23 Mar 12 16:41
boooooooo, leimer now pulled in to 10/1 having qulified 5th!

awful performances from gutierrez and ericsson, shows how much the bookies know about how to price this up!
By:
brentford
When: 23 Mar 12 21:04
Great to have some proper coverage this year,

Gutierrez not helped by having his free practice session curtailed but haven't seen much from Ericsson to believe he has a GP2 Championship in him to date.

Felipe Nasr going to be interesting to follow - not a realistic chance for this year I guess but 200/1 was a bit disrespectful for a F3 Champion joining the team that last year won the drivers title (2nd in constructors) - could see him having a podium or two this season and maybe being a championship contender next season.

Formula Renault 3.5 looking pretty competitive again this season,
Sam Bird and Bianchi both moving on to that and some decent talent already there.
New car for this season as well.
By:
fkqmz
When: 30 Mar 12 21:02
tbh f3.5 is a step backward in my eyes now purely because of the increased coverage and rising credibility of GP2. now they are using 2 pirelli compounds it really is training for F1 and certainly bianchi is finsihed for me now, he had a top drive at ART last year and spent most of the time binning the car when he should have been winning races.

Performances of week 1 for me were, as you say felipe nasr, great weekend for him and Calado looking like a seasoned pro in his rookie year. am starting to really like him, he's moving forwards in leaps and bounds and has a great chance now to really take the fight to esteban in that team. gutierrez needs to wipe the mistakes out of his game right now for me or he'll lose career momentum which would be a real shame, i'm still convinced he's the best outright racer i've seen for a long long time (watch his start from 15th on saturday!) - problem is his outright speed just isnt there and the mistakes are killing him off.
By:
fkqmz
When: 20 Apr 12 23:07
interesting race coming up tomorrow. the front runners are at the front because they ran soft tyres on the first run and got the best benefit from the rubber on the track from F1 practice. it may end up being the case though that starting on those tyres may prove to be a disadvantage and that in fact taking some pain in qualifying will lead to running a better race strategy. of course if valsecchi and gutierrez pull away in the first 10 laps, it could be all over! we'll see GrinGrin
By:
brentford
When: 22 Apr 12 10:51
Very entertaining weekend of GP2.
Dams looking to have the best set up car in the field which is going to make Valsecchi very tought to beat this year particuarly as he's driving with a lot more maturity than some on the grid - could easily be getting himself in with a chance of the Ferrari no.2 drive if he can win or battle for the championship all season.

Cecotto gets the award for 'lunatic driver' of the weekend (How did Nasr get the penalty ?)  though I think Calado nearly putting his team mate in the wall on the straight was hardly James finest moment - think he needs to moderate some of his defensive driving in general actually if he's going to impress the right people though very early days for him so understandable I guess.

Nasr another decent effort in race 2 and a solid weekend for Razia.
Entertainment value continues to be very good.

I take your point about GP2 being a closer series to F1 than FR 3.5 though the relative costs between the two mean I think we'll continue to see lots of talent come to F1 via the renault series as slightly less deep pockets required.
By:
brentford
When: 23 Jul 12 18:02
Whatever was making DV look a class apart early in the season has certainly dissapeared -
regardless of this seasons champion I think F1 teams would be well advised to look towards the cream of FR 3.5 for the time being or previous punts from F1 like Alguesuari -
who shouldn't probably have been in so quick or out so quick !

Gp2 still great entertainment but not seen too much evidence of a 'special one' to date this season.

First year I've seen most of the qualifying sessions thanks to sky and I have to say that seems to add more to inaccurate results than the reverse grid such are the number of blocked laps during the half hour session.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com