Forums

Motor Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Dylan1975
07 Nov 10 19:03
| Topic/replies: 4,921 | Blogger: Dylan1975's blog
Lets assume Vettel is in front of Webber with Alonso in 4th.

Will they ask them to swap positions knowing if they don't it hands Ferrari they championship, do they wait until the very last moment because if anything happened to Alonso that switch would effectively lose Vettel the championship.

Would be a terrible way for the championship to be decided if for example Webber does "overtake" Vettel on the last lap, i guess its no different to what Ferrari did but by leaving it to the last race it doesn't sit well.

Hopefully Webber can do the business and lead the race on merit (or Alonso)

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 10
By:
sausagedog
When: 07 Nov 10 19:36
If Alonso is third or fourth and Vettel is leading with Webber second I think Vettel would let Webber through on the last lap on his own initiative. Not team orders, just common sense - Vettel would look a bit silly to hand Alonso the title by insisting on beating Webber.
By:
Dylan1975
When: 07 Nov 10 20:02
yeah you'd think so, but it would be a horrible way for the title to be decided cos you'd have to think Vettel would wait until he was sure Alonso was finishing to do it.
By:
sausagedog
When: 07 Nov 10 20:37
I suppose it could be interesting if Alonso is very close behind Webber as then if Vettel lets Webber through Alonso might sneak past as well to get second and the championship.
By:
fkqmz
When: 07 Nov 10 21:47
I think HOrner indicated today that if they DO do a swap, it will be on the last lap to make sure Dylans scenario doesnt happen. Personally I think theyve done the proper sporting thing. Would be interested to know whether they still would have done had team orders been legalised.

Also if it does happen and they swap on the last lap, will they get done for it as theyve blatantly announced its going to happen and its still technically illegal.
By:
bb66
When: 08 Nov 10 06:32
I think they will pretend Vettel to have a technical problem about 5 laps before the end in this situation to let Webber pass Vettel.
By:
Dylan1975
When: 08 Nov 10 07:33
think if Vettel decides to let Webber through its not team orders, so im sure they'll have a word with him before the race and tell him if their 1st and 2nd on the final lap to do the right thing.

Im sure in that situation Vettel would make the decision to let his team mate win the title instead of Ferrari (you'd hope)
By:
worcesterwilly
When: 08 Nov 10 10:38
Assuming nothing happens in Qualifying and at the start of the race their strategy inmho will be simple...

To cover any chance Alonso has of winning the title they will basicaly tell both drivers to race up to the tyre change without taking silly risks...

If at tyre change Alonso leads imho they will send Vettel on a charge to try to pass/inhibit him.....I can see some kamikaze stuff myself.....if Vettel got by then they would have to send Webber in pursuit too....if Alonso is compromised Webber could simply follow Vettel home..

If at tyre change Alonso is NOT leading and RB are 1/2 they simply have to have their drivers close enough in proximity to effect a change around without it being blindingly obvious....i.e how do you prove a 6.0 sec tyre change for Vettel was staged to allow Webber who has a 5.0 sec tyre change to take the lead.....you can claim it and it can be pretty obvious but 1 - 2 secs is hard to actually prove.....all someone would need to do is drop a wheelnut!

I cannot see RB allowing Vettel to beat Webber to allow Alonso the title...no way!
By:
Green Board
When: 08 Nov 10 21:57
I'm pretty sure the rules legitimately allow you to make a team order when one driver cannot win the title - so a Vettel, Webber swap if Alonso is in third should be fine.
By:
Tucker Max
When: 09 Nov 10 12:13
the market agrees with most of you above
Vettel clear fav. to get Pole
Webber fav. to win race
By:
Dylan1975
When: 09 Nov 10 12:18
team orders don't include the driver deciding to move over thats the defence Ferrari used they claimed Massa made the decision to let Alonso through off his own back. So im sure Vettel has been told if hes leading with Webber 2nd on the last lap and Alonso's 4th or better to let Webber through there won't be the need for any radio message because the situation is pretty clear before the race has started.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com