Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
fkqmz
14 Sep 10 10:10
| Topic/replies: 3,313 | Blogger: fkqmz's blog
Congratulations on winning the GP2 title, but does anyone think he's actually any good? his peers have all progressed to f1 whilst he's been left behind  and ok he's swept up the title very nicely but openly admits he has no f1 seat in the pipeline.

I heard a rumour Sauber were interested a while ago but now theyve signed up Heidfeld that door would seem to be closing.

Any thoughts anyone?
Pause Switch to Standard View Pastor Maldonado
Show More
Report worcesterwilly September 14, 2010 12:07 PM BST
You cant say he's rubbish he clearly is'nt but as you say so many of his rivals have moved on I believe he's won it this year more because its "his turn"! than through driving ability.

There have been a significant number of newcomers this year to the formula and I dont really see anyone at this point capable of moving up,especially as there are a number of drivers currently on the periphery of F1 waiting to get drives already with the likely teams.

Within F1 I DONT see drivers like Petrov,Buemi,Alguersari,Liuzzi as being under threat from the new crop I guess you'd have to look at the likes of De la Rosa and Trulli retiring to create opportunity.

I cant really comment of the likes of Senna,Chandoek etc as the car- is simply not an F1 car to be brutally honest!
Report fkqmz September 14, 2010 12:41 PM BST
I believe he's won it this year more because its "his turn"!

sorry yes this was the point i was very badly trying to make

There seems to be very little opportunity now. experience is key and they just cant get the relevent experience they need to be good in an f1 car.

That said I do genuinely think theres no talent in GP2 atm, they made Hulkenburg look like a world beater last year and im not convinced with him so far. I still maintain Gutierrez will WIPE THE FLOOR with the rest of them in GP2 next year and I hope Wickens, Haryanto and Muller get a shot too cause theyve all done really well
Report flyingkipper September 14, 2010 4:01 PM BST
Maldonado shouldnt be seriously considered for an F1 drive as this year was his fourth season of GP2 but with Nicholas Todt being his manager he stands a good chance!
Report fkqmz September 15, 2010 11:20 PM BST
good point, i still cant think where he'll fit in though. he's got to be third or fourth choice on everyones lists.
Report worcesterwilly September 16, 2010 9:24 AM BST
if he could conjure up a decent budget would imagine HRT would be very keen?

Other than that whats Belmondo doing these days?Laugh
Report flyingkipper September 16, 2010 12:06 PM BST
Cant see HRT being around next year, not in its existing format. Can see a Durango/Villenuve buy out there.
Report worcesterwilly September 16, 2010 1:37 PM BST
could see Maldonado getting a drive there then given Villeneuves links with Todt!
Report ocukstinky September 16, 2010 1:43 PM BST
Villeneuve linked with buying a team for next year, HRT being one of them. Can't be any worse than they are this year, surely.

Belmondo! LaughLaugh
Report worcesterwilly December 3, 2010 2:29 PM GMT
So Pastor bought his seat with Williams with his $10,000,000 Budget........

Rarely has such a once great team sunk so low....

Sad Really....

Give it up Sir Frank and enjoy your retirement......you've certainly earnt it!
Report Shalimah May 13, 2012 3:13 PM BST
Report flushgordon1 May 13, 2012 8:07 PM BST
Laugh
Report ocukstinky May 13, 2012 8:29 PM BST
Whats that all about? Has anyone here categorically said he's sh*t and shouldnt be in F1? No..
Report worcesterwilly May 14, 2012 12:01 PM BST
FAIR PLAY TO pm......

Didn't think he had it in him to be honest but he clearly does!
Report fkqmz May 15, 2012 1:24 PM BST
wow happy to admit i had this guy well under rated, great performance at the weekend and I can see him coming on for the victory. Interesting to see some of Frank's comments on him:-

When asked if Maldonado was only at Williams in the first place because of money, Williams said: "Yeah, he was to some extent. I'm not denying that. But if we thought he'd been a w@mker, he wouldn't have got in the team no matter how much money he had.

"But we've got a real racing driver as well. I am just astonished by the way he just controlled himself, and didn't make a mistake at all."

fair play to him, great performance
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com