Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stevies5_mufc
05 Sep 10 12:55
| Topic/replies: 17,764 | Blogger: stevies5_mufc's blog
another rider passed away Cry
Pause Switch to Standard View R.I.P Tomizawa
Show More
Report mad4stella1 September 5, 2010 3:50 PM BST
Very sad! only 20, feel for the kid that went over him too! must be beside himself with grief.
Report larrence September 5, 2010 4:33 PM BST
very very news indeed, just shows you the dangers they face.

R.I.P. Shoya Tomizawa Sad
Report doreen01 September 5, 2010 5:33 PM BST
It looked horrific - poor guy fell off his bike.

Then it looked like the 2 bikes behind him - had nowhere to go - so the 2 bikes ran straight over him.

Sadly, I do not want to make light of a death - but I hope authorities will look into the shambolic attempts to get the poor man off the track - when the stretcher men dropped him !

This could not have been good for a poor guy who possibly (I cannot prove it - but being run straight over your stomach - you) must have been suffering from internal bleeding.

Hope there is a review over this incident - when the guy was in distress and not moving that well on the track.
Report GPT September 5, 2010 7:00 PM BST
Disgraceful scenes the race director should hang his head in shame,RIP Shoya Gods speed.
Report scarecrow September 5, 2010 7:36 PM BST
things have improved over the years safety wise and behind the scenes with the medical set up to be fair to the people who run it.i can remeber an incedent lots of years ago when a certain circuit ordered the medical helicopter to take a venuzualen rider off the circuit to hospital even thogh he was dead so he was not pronounced dead on the track for insurance reasons,thankfully things like that do not happen now but with racing there is always that risk that you may be killed and all the riders no that and perhaps in a perverse way it may even be part of the attraction for some to road racing.
Report GPT September 5, 2010 7:43 PM BST
scarecrow nobody is ever pronounced dead at a track even now,todays' scenes were something from the 1960s there is no excuse for it.
Report JETCROWTS September 5, 2010 8:04 PM BST
Very sad had lots of potential and very likeable. Hope his family can find comfort in that he died doing something he loved.

My thoughts are also with Alex De Angelis and Scott Redding who both hit Shoya.

I hope Scott can put this behind him as at only 17 years old this must be terribly traumatic.

RIP Shoya.
Report scarecrow September 5, 2010 8:24 PM BST
the only good thing for de angelis and redding is the fact that it was shoya who crashed first and his mistake that led to it,it would be much worse if they caused the accident,racers although perhaps not wanting to seem unkind tend to block these things out as they cannot possibly let the idea that it may happen to them enter their mind or they loose their edge.
Report doreen01 September 5, 2010 8:56 PM BST
It is very true that even if the rider is dead on the track - they do helicopter the rider off to hospital "still breathing" - so all the events can carry on and dare I say, the promoter does not get police and all kinds of authorities crawling over him to make sure all procedures were followed.

Alex Zanardi was touch and go at that German Indy Car - when a car collided with the front of his car and literally took his legs off.

The doctor 1st at the seen - should have got a medal - as he actually said - what he saw was not a racing injury - but a bomb blast injury - the impact basically blasted poor Zanardi's legs off.

It was only the doctors quick thinking that got him stabilised and on a helicopter - infact - when at the hospital - they said if it wasn't for the 1st doctor at the scene - Zanardi would have been DOA off the helicopter.

Sorry, I ramble - just wanted to let you all know that tracks and promoters and race series will never admit the racer died at the track - so they do not either end up in jail, end up closing the track or series down or face a massive review/fine.

Sorry, for my mind burst - today's incident could not have been predicted - but I am sure the next time sadly someone dies on track - he will still be breathing when the helicopter takes off for the hospital.

Apologies for this post -if it is a bit scatter brain !
Report elise September 6, 2010 12:56 AM BST
shocked, didn't realise he had died as bbc coverage at the time gave a pretty upbeat report on all 3 riders

i switched off after that and have only just read this, terrible news
Report fkqmz September 6, 2010 7:10 AM BST
having watched the scenes yesterday can't help but feeling the "marshalls" could have done more - or rather less! the race should have been stopped while the ambulance was brought to the point where he lay on the track. we'll probably never know whether their moving him was a fatal error.
Report Mike0002 September 6, 2010 8:27 AM BST
if you compare it with craig jones' crash, first of all there was a red flag. it should always be red flagged if a rider is laying unconcious on the track. second, these type of scenes are always very dangerous and there are 40 riders in the moto2, they should think of ways to improve the safety even more, like a complete new race suit.
Report coney September 6, 2010 11:39 AM BST
How they could think he was moveable after what happened is an absolute disgrace.
I have watched Moto GP and the other classes for many years and as I watched that
replay just after the crash I was convinced, absolutely certain I had just watched a man die.

Very distressing stuff.

R.I.P.
Report worcesterwilly September 6, 2010 5:57 PM BST
A very sad incident for all concerned.

With respect to the marshalls I have to say that would not have happened in some countries where the standards are infinitely better than we saw yesterday.However,in defence of marshalls world wide I'm sure the majority of us would not wish to be confronted by some of the sights they have to see and witness spcifically with head injuries and the like.

I once witnessed a speedway rider being sadly killed and spoke to a friend who was actually on the St Johns staf that night (Gary Peterson at Wolverhampton @1973/1974) and to say he is traumatised to this day by what he had to deal with is not an overstatement.

The impact on the two lads innocently involved will be one I fear of deep trauma and guilt even though they can in no way be held responsible for a racing accident of this type.

I would also say with all due respect and with absolutely no offence meant at all that on occasions death is possibly a better option than being in some form of vegatative state and merely being kept alive,so I hope that the young man did not suffer too much pain.

On a final note I do think that the young lady presenter on BBC1 whose name I do not know reacted to the fast developing tragedy with great decorum and dignity for which she should be warmly praised.
Report ocukstinky September 6, 2010 6:38 PM BST
RIP Sad
Report stockwell September 7, 2010 11:23 AM BST
I could be wrong here, and didn't Sky+ the race, but I thought the stretcher drop was actually de Angelis.

As I say, I may be wrong, but that's what I thought.

Echo other thoughts on here though, that I hope both de Angelis and Redding can get over the trauma of this, and how shocked I was to see the crash.

Motor Sport is a dangerous sport unfortunately, and I don't think we can ever reach the point where it will be anything but that - especially bike racing.

RIP Tomi
Report fkqmz September 7, 2010 1:01 PM BST
4 dead in what, a month though? - including a 13yo kid. come on somethings going to have to change isn't it?
Report GPT September 7, 2010 1:22 PM BST
Like what you tool?
Report fkqmz September 7, 2010 1:44 PM BST
you tell me mr expert, i dont actually give 2 sh!ts
Report Yogi_Bear September 7, 2010 1:54 PM BST
Turn it in GPT you idiot.
Report worcesterwilly September 7, 2010 6:08 PM BST
sadly these things come in cycles.

Speedway/Grasstrack is more my cup of tea and what you find is you'll go seasons without major incidents like this then all of a sudden 2-3-4 come along in close succession.

Safety in all forms of car/bike sport has improved incredibly in the past 20/30 years but at the end of the day racing (especially at this level) is all about finding the new edge the new point at which others cant follow.

The specific problem with bike racing is that no amount of tenchnology can 100% guarantee the head and the torsoe where the vital organs are situated and even then fate can intervene as it seems to have done in this case.

When your numbers up I'm afraid its up!

I recall one speedway rider - Kevin Holden - being killed at Poole and he did'nt have a mark on him,he swallowed his tongue,a Grasstrack rider Graham Banks killed when his ID chain garotted him and in the dim and distant pst in the 50's a rider surviving as the St Johns ambulance guy carried him "out of step" i,e he was bounced around a bit and it basically freed a potentially fatal blood clot in his brain.

I'm afraid that motor sports live on the edge of disasters like these and for some thats part of the thrill.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com