Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
AFL
11 Jul 10 08:52
| Topic/replies: 5,732 | Blogger: AFL's blog
Red Bull moved swiftly on Saturday to quell the threat of a new civil war in their team after Mark Webber mocked a decision to favour team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

The team said it had favoured the 22-year-old German because he has more points in this year's title race than the 33-year-old Australian.

Earlier this season the pair crashed and clashed at the Turkish Grand Prix after which team boss Christian Horner held 'clear the air' talks to patch up any damage done.

On Saturday, a new rear wing was taken off Webber's car and given to Vettel before qualifying because his had broken during the final practice session.

Vettel went on to secure pole position, and, although Webber finished second quickest, he was obviously annoyed with the result and sarcastically remarked, "I think the team is happy with the result today."

Horner was quick to pounce on any rumours that the team favoured Vettel, and claimed that the decision was made based on championship positions and final practice pace.

He said: "Unfortunately we found ourselves in a situation with only one front wing of a certain specification which was slightly different in characteristics.

"Sometimes I have to make a difficult decision - and with only one wing available and the facts to hand that we had, and based on championship position - which was the criteria that we used - that wing went to Sebastian today."

Horner insisted that the decision was made logically and it would have been impossible to please both drivers.

"Obviously when you have two drivers running at the front, there is perhaps a bit more emotion attached to it. But if you take away the emotion and you look at the facts, it was an entirely logical thing to do."

"It is a difficult situation where we haven't got two components. If I'd have given it to Mark you've the same situation in reverse.

"Mark knows the way we operate as a team. He knows that with that decision there was no malice behind it. There was no manipulation.

"It was purely that we found ourselves with a single component and, from a team point of view, some days I have to make difficult decisions."
Pause Switch to Standard View RED BULL One man team - Webber there...
Show More
Report Green Board July 11, 2010 10:24 AM BST
Decision makes sense to me - if Webber had been ahead in the championship and Vettel had still got the new wing it would have been a bit different
Report Apologist July 11, 2010 10:31 AM BST
Austrian drinks firm Red Bull.

Red Bull a drink aimed at the young.

Vettel. Genram and young.

MW. Aussie and over 30.

The reality
Report f1 fan July 11, 2010 10:38 AM BST
with webber and vettels ability to overtake and defend, i would imagine webber has a good chance of taking the rear wing back during the race and giving it to the marshals in pieces.
Report f1 fan July 11, 2010 10:40 AM BST
p.s. christian horners decision to give the new wing to vettel was to get him in pole, cos if he aint, he wont win, he's fast in front, but drives like a girl when it comes to overtaking.
Report AFL July 11, 2010 10:48 AM BST
Why wasn't Webber given the same protection / favour..... when he lead Vettel by 15 pts in the Championship during the Canada race, and Vettel, under instruction, made that disastrous move to overtake, and Horner made the statement that they do not use team tactics and do not favour one driver over the other.LaughLaughLaugh
Report Green Board July 11, 2010 10:51 AM BST
Because they'd had time to manufacture both parts for two cars then. Like he said in the interview would it have been better to not put the wing on either car and both suffer. Simple answer is no. They're in a championship battle it's not like it's all sewn up so the only sensible thing to do is give it to the guy who has more points. Vettel is without doubt their future as he's younger but right now they are just after either championship however they can get it.
Report Green Board July 11, 2010 10:52 AM BST
On the Canada thing - I'm just glad they let them race - it get's a bit boring when teams don;t allow that.
Report bix July 11, 2010 12:41 PM BST
F1 racing boring?
Report iko July 11, 2010 12:58 PM BST
Does Red Bull give you wings ? yep if your vettel
Report SergeantMarcel July 11, 2010 1:07 PM BST
haha Karma Vettel
Report Green Board July 11, 2010 6:19 PM BST
Had forgotten that Vettels wing had failed in practise - thought they'd only had one available and so had given it to Vettel which did seem a bit cheeky. Mind you now they've stated that as policy Webber may benefit from it yet!
Report GPT July 11, 2010 6:40 PM BST
The one spare part is rubbish they had 2.Webber getting royally shafted.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com