Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Green Board
31 May 10 10:15
| Topic/replies: 404 | Blogger: Green Board's blog
Who do you think are the best drivers - if you were a team boss who would you want to get into your car from active drivers who have raced in F1.

*** Lets keep any bickering out of the thread though 0 can always stick that in another one ***
Pause Switch to Standard View Top 10 Drivers
Show More
Report Green Board May 31, 2010 11:16 AM BST
It's pretty hard actually - for me the top 4 are out on their own.

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Vettel
4. Kubica
5. Button
6. Webber
7. Rosberg
8. Schumacher
9. Raikonnen
10.Massa
Report Gitmo May 31, 2010 12:45 PM BST
The man who has had probably the best record in Formula1 in the last decade chose to get no8 out of retirement.
Report Help2 May 31, 2010 5:20 PM BST
schumi number 8? no doubt he is the best ever!
Report Riddick May 31, 2010 6:11 PM BST
schumi number 8? no doubt he is the best ever!

I think he means if you were picking drivers today to race in the next grand prix.

1 Hamilton
2 Alonso
3 Kubica

Huge gulf, lol.

4 Webber
5 Vettel
6 Schumacher
7 Button
8 Rosberg
9 Sutil
10 Barrichello
Report johnnie walker May 31, 2010 7:34 PM BST
raikkonen will show this year he was better than alonso
Report fkqmz June 1, 2010 10:36 AM BST
i take it this is just current drivers then? do i have to name ten? based on the ALL ROUND PACKAGE

1 Alonso
2 Button
3 Hamilton
4 Kubica
5 Vettel

The rest

based on raw outright pace, at the top of their form

1 Hamilton
2 Schumacher
3 Alonso
4 Vettel
5 Kubica
6 Button

the rest
Report Green Board June 1, 2010 5:42 PM BST
Yup, yup - it's based on who you'd go for based on hwo they are performing currently. If it was all time then I'd have Schumi number 1.
Report brentford June 1, 2010 6:02 PM BST
Sticking to active drivers and based on current abilities as opposed to peak abilities

1. Hamilton
2. Kubica (hope he gets a drive to prove it ! )
3. Alonso
4. Vettel (though thrown in to confusion by Webber's recent efforts)
5. Button
6. Rosberg
7. Webber (see 4)
8. Sutil
9. Schumacher
10. Barrichello
Report unknown42 June 3, 2010 5:32 PM BST
Top 5 is very close in my opinion

1. Hamilton
2. Schumacher
3. Alonso
4. Rosberg
5. Kubica
-------------
6. Button
7. Massa
8. Barichello
9. Vettel 
10. Webber
Report Optional June 5, 2010 10:57 PM BST
Was having a discussion about this recently and it got onto which driver pairing is best. Now that's a really hard call this year I think.

Has Massa lost his pace or is Alonso just so much better than Kimi was, that it looks that way? If the later, Ferrari could have the best pairing.

One guy thought you couldn't go past Schumacher, especially with a team mate who can best him.

But then Red Bull seem to have a better young guy and an old guy performing like a potential champion.

For me though, the Hamilton/Button pairing is the one I would want in my cars.

As far as a top 10 individual drivers,

1) Alonso
2) Hamilton
3) Daylight...
Report mr clene June 6, 2010 12:18 PM BST
1. vettel
2. hamilton
3. button
4. alonso
5. kube
6. rosberg
7. webber
8. shue
9. sutil
10.trulli

easy hey......think if we had this poll 6 weeks aago vettel would be tops in most peoples opinion.

lewis and vettel are imho well ahead of the rest
Report ocukstinky June 9, 2010 8:44 PM BST
I don't get it, first post says ACTIVE drivers who have RACED in F1. If they aren't currently in F1, then they aren't active. Which are we going for here?
Report Green Board June 10, 2010 12:29 PM BST
Well I'd say that Raikonnen is active in that he easily jump in an F1 car and be competitive but someone like Prost is not - basically it's based on how they would perform now.
Report ocukstinky June 10, 2010 7:12 PM BST
Fair enough, in that case, I'd go with (based on IF they all had the same car, same setup, etc.):

Vettel (someone says he doesn't overtake much.. he hasn't really needed to!)
Alonso
Hamilton
Kubica
Button
Webber
Raikkonen
Sutil
Schumacher
Rosberg
Report lewsi hamilton is a genius June 10, 2010 9:56 PM BST
ocukstinky     10 Jun 10 19:12 
Fair enough, in that case, I'd go with (based on IF they all had the same car, same setup, etc.):

Vettel (someone says he doesn't overtake much.. he hasn't really needed to!)  Lol he is in the best car by a country mile. &  where is he in the drivers standings 5th. Hamilton,alonso,button,Kubica & Massa even would be leading the standings if they had Vettel's seat. 

Also not needing to overtake did u watch Turkey The Kid is just aint top class.
Report lewsi hamilton is a genius June 10, 2010 9:59 PM BST
1. Hamilton
2. Schumacher
3. Alonso
4. Kubica
5. Rakkonen
6. Massa if only for 08)
7. Webber
8. Rosberg
9.  Vettel
10. Barrichello
Report ocukstinky June 11, 2010 12:28 PM BST
I don't think I'll bother replying to someone that can't form a sentence and/or a tangible argument.
Report RAPS June 11, 2010 2:19 PM BST
Alonso
Hamilton
Kubica
Vettel
Button
Räikkönen
Schumacher
Rosberg
Webber
Massa
Report Tucker Max September 25, 2010 11:19 AM BST
Vettel high on most of these lists
Report bernardwhat September 25, 2010 12:14 PM BST
Schumacher
vettel
hamilton
alonso
massa
button
barrichello
kubica
rosberg
sutil

Vettel will be the best
Report worcesterwilly September 25, 2010 12:20 PM BST
in order of my preference as team boss w/b

1 Rosberg
2 Kubica
3 Alonso
4 Button
5 Vetel
6 Webber
7 Hamilton
8 Sutil
9 Massa
10 Hulkenburg

it is my honestly held opinion that Rosberg and Kubica in top 3 eam equipment would out-peform and out-drive any of the current incumbents of those teams.
Report GPT September 25, 2010 12:52 PM BST
^^^Laugh
Report ocukstinky September 25, 2010 5:02 PM BST
For once I agree with GPT. That list is quite funny.
Report worcesterwilly September 25, 2010 6:25 PM BST
its all about opinion is'nt it.

Sometimes you have to look at drivers who are/can get the optimum out of their car rather than the other way round!

Just because someone (who has coincidentally watched F1 for 40 years) does'nt pick the obvious then it deos'nt mean to say it is wrong!

Hamilton makes too many mistakes imho,Button whilst smooth cant always wring speed out of a car like some an,Vettel like Hamilton imho is error prone,Webber is a bit of a journeyman driver who makes the best of his ability,Massa nice guy that he is is'nt consistent or paticularly quick.

In Rosberg and Kubica (going back to the original thread who would you the poster pick) I believe I'd have 2 of the quickest around,if not the quickest,two guys who would grasp the opportunity and two drivers renowned for being good at setting cars up too!
Report f1 fan September 25, 2010 6:30 PM BST
as a team boss you only need to consider two drives, alonso and piquet jr with flavio running the show and vettel as test driver.
Report ocukstinky September 26, 2010 12:15 AM BST
I'm not disagreeing with your picks necessarily WW, but in that order? Really? I think Hulkenberg has been average for a rookie. Nothing special. Sutil's got talent, doing very well in an average at best car.
Report Tucker Max September 26, 2010 9:05 AM BST
Räikkönen still top 10 ?
Report Tucker Max September 26, 2010 9:06 AM BST
as I recall someone on this forum once put Räikkönen in their all time top 10!
Report fkqmz September 26, 2010 9:22 AM BST
depends on top 10 what?

if you're talking 1 lap pace at his peak, then yes id have kimi in an all time top 10. go and watch his quali lap at silverstone in 04 or monaco in 05 and attempt to put up an argument if you like. theres one of those "expert" surveys in an f1 racing from 2004 which has him about 6th iirc.

however if you're talking about anything else, then obviously its a laughable statement
Report worcesterwilly September 26, 2010 10:50 AM BST
ocuk - point taken mate - I'd have put Rubens in my top 10 to be honest but of all the newer drivers I think the Hulk shows most potential for the future!

I'd still seriously pick Rosberg and Kubica though as my top 2 as I think they would still have the drive (excuse the pun) to wring the best out of any car they get in to I think too long in a top car can somehow dull your senses a bit since you get reliant on the car to do all of the work - OK modern F1 cars are merely glorified computers the drivers point in the right direction,there is far less driver input but sometimes you see the better drivers in the middle rank still able to get that extra tenth from somewhere..
Report baracouda30 September 26, 2010 1:40 PM BST
1. Alonso
2. Kubica
3. Hamilton
4. Vettel
5. Button
6. Rosberg
7. Sutil
8. Webber
9. Heidfeld
10.Barrichello
Report montgomery brewster September 26, 2010 6:52 PM BST
alonso
hamilton
kubica
vettel
webber
button
sutil
barrichello
rosberg
Report Tucker Max September 27, 2010 10:40 AM BST
fkqmz

the OP answers your q:

Green Board     Joined: 11 Jul 04
Replies: 331 31 May 10 11:15 
Who do you think are the best drivers - if you were a team boss who would you want to get into your car from active drivers who have raced in F1.
Report fkqmz September 27, 2010 10:54 AM BST
oh ffs the op was written 4 months ago.......
Report worcesterwilly September 27, 2010 11:48 AM BST
glad to see the worcesterwillyracing teams No 2 driver Robet Kubica is suddenly flavour of the month!Laugh
Report RAPS September 28, 2010 1:50 AM BST
Alonso
Hamilton
Kubica
Vettel
Button
Räikkönen
Schumacher
Rosberg
Webber
Massa

that was my list many months ago.
Today I would move Rosberg up 4 odd places and Schu right down but it is always easier afterwards
Report thebandit October 5, 2010 7:38 PM BST
Glad Bracouda mentione Heidfeld, would've loved to have seen him in a better car (shame on y0u McLaren giving Kimi the drive...).
Report FreeMoneyFred October 6, 2010 7:41 AM BST
Laugh comical statement
Report songsforthedeaf October 10, 2010 2:51 AM BST
Drivers as they are today, same car same setup:

Hamilton
Alonso
Vettel
Kubica (may be even higher on list - has yet to have the chance to prove it)
Webber
Button
Rosberg
Massa
No one else worth rating (that includes Schumi)
Report Help2 October 10, 2010 7:44 PM BST
its hard to tell, but i hope it never end up with the same setup for all cars... if that was the case then ill watch gp2Laugh
Report songsforthedeaf October 11, 2010 1:24 PM BST
Yeah its not possible in F1, same cars means manufacturers arent interested, but it would be nice if more than 3 teams were capable of winning a race. Cant see the top 3 stranglehold being broken in the future, who can challenge them? Only Mercedes have the financial clout.

Its better than only Ferrari winnning, but hey, im hard to please.
Report Tucker Max October 23, 2010 12:43 PM BST
1 Alonso
2 Kubica
3 Hamilton
4 Rosberg
5 Vettel
6 Sutil
7 Button
8 Webber
9 Massa
10 Raikonnen
Report Green Board November 14, 2010 3:33 PM GMT
Now the season's finished I'd revise mine slightly, not much different though - still think the top 4 are a league above at the moment

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Vettel
4. Kubica
-------------
5. Webber
6. Rosberg
7. Button
-------------
8. Raikonnen
9. Schumacher
10.Massa
Report worcesterwilly November 14, 2010 3:48 PM GMT
GB...strange that you have 2 guys who cant pass a renault engined car if their lives depended on it in front of 3 guys who drive renault enginesLaugh
Report Virgin November 14, 2010 4:17 PM GMT
worcesterwilly     

Green Board is on about DRIVERS as per the thread title (imo) Plain
Report worcesterwilly November 14, 2010 7:26 PM GMT
Virgin....

I was just being maybe over sarcastic as I thought both Alonso and Hamilton rove poorly today all things considered...

Whilst Alonso has consistently over driven the 3rd best car - today he was a bit off his best imho whereas Hamilton has lost another Championship he should have won.....thats the 3rd time thats happened imho....but who the feck am I??...
Report Taylor's world November 14, 2010 7:45 PM GMT
a mug
Report GPT November 14, 2010 7:59 PM GMT
A mug and a ****,Lewis #1 by a mile again.
Report fkqmz November 15, 2010 2:41 PM GMT
By: Taylor's world When: 14 Nov 10 19:45 a mug
By: GPT When: 14 Nov 10 19:59 A mug and a ****,Lewis #1 by a mile again.

Laugh something quite ironic about mugs calling mugs mugs Laugh
tw and gpt you 2 should be hanging your heads in utter shame, you have come up with some of the most laughable opinions of the season.
Report ocukstinky November 15, 2010 2:43 PM GMT
And get a room while they're at it LaughLaugh
Report worcesterwilly November 15, 2010 3:00 PM GMT
would that be a room with a picture of llllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiii... ...in it!..LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Mind you if it did have a picture no doubt the glass would be broken.....erm smashed[;)]!
Report worcesterwilly November 15, 2010 3:01 PM GMT
l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l e e e e e e e e e e e e e w w w w w w w w w i i i i i i i i i i s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s

BANG!
Report ocukstinky November 15, 2010 3:04 PM GMT
Laugh

*awaits GPT to claim we're the same person*
Report fkqmz November 15, 2010 3:08 PM GMT
boys as much as i enjoy ripping the mugs, gb did request we keep this thread clean so ill be signing out now to continue this elsewhere.
Report ocukstinky November 15, 2010 3:09 PM GMT
Must have missed that somewhere. Apologies GB, sir.
Report Kukken November 15, 2010 3:11 PM GMT
Alonso or Hamilton in a RedBull would have all but wrapped up the World Championship after 10-12 races this season. Easily the best drivers out there.

Alonso
Hamilton

Vettel
Kubica
Button
Raikonnen
Webber
Rosberg
Massa
Schumacher
Report fkqmz November 15, 2010 3:23 PM GMT
Hamilton in a RedBull would have all but wrapped up the World Championship after 10-12 races this season

please explain this since in the championship i watched, hamilton had a perfectly good chance to win the championship without the red bull and promptly deposited it in the toilet. why do think this would have been any different with a red bull?
Report GPT November 15, 2010 4:28 PM GMT
To be fair fmqstinkys assertion that "aero grip is the same as mechanical grip"LaughLaughis by far the most clueless statement this year what a complete toolLaugh.Driver wise we saw yesterday monkey man isn't really up to Hamiltons standard as he couldn't pass Petrov and Lewis has come an excellent 4th overall despite having one of the slowest cars,if he had an RB it would have all been over mid season.
Report ocukstinky November 15, 2010 4:37 PM GMT
"An excellent 4th"

Not even a podium finish that LaughLaughLaugh
Report Kukken November 15, 2010 4:41 PM GMT
Because it was by far the best car?!
Report fkqmz November 16, 2010 7:31 AM GMT
Still, i bow to gpt's crystal ball like predictions for korea and japan LaughLaughLaugh
Report worcesterwilly November 16, 2010 8:28 AM GMT
GPT - What utter bollox....

The McLaren was consistently the second fastest car and consistently had more top end speed than the Red Bull and better downforce than the Ferrari........

If you analyse the season as a whole Vettel made a couple of bad mistakes but suffered more mechanial failure than any of the top 5,Alonso made the most of the slowest of the tp 3 cars ad actually outperformed his team-mate (the truest indicator of a drivers ability) by far more than either the Red Bull or McLaren pairing,Webber came up just short at the end when his slightly lower ability compared with the very best found him out,Button performed exceptionally well in a strange car and got far closer to Hamilton than many imagined and Hamilton made more errors than any of the top 5 mainly around mid-season and threw his chances away with these mistakes.

Of the rest...Rosberg and Kubica evidenced consistently that they would perform as well as any of the top 5 in a comparitive car,Petrov,Haulkenberg and Kobayashi showed glimpses of real talent,Massa sadly struggled in a competitive car,Schumacher struggled imho with the technology,Sutil stood still and the newcomes in terms of the 3 nw teams were frankly an embarassment to F1.....
Report Green Board November 16, 2010 6:09 PM GMT
Saw there were 14 replies on here and opened up interested to see how people had rated - then found that 90% of those replies were inane bickering, what a shame.
Report fkqmz November 17, 2010 10:32 AM GMT
By: Kukken When: 15 Nov 10 16:41 Because it was by far the best car?!

but he threw his championship away HIMSELF. The car was irrelevent.

Green Board, this is a pointless discussion, the parameters you've set over how to rate your 10 are completely random. You're also living in an idealised dream world. You start a thread like this and expect no bickering!!?? christ you might as well have called the thread "WHO'S THE BEST" and started it off with "LET THE BICKERING BEGIN". Go and read other forums, these discussions ALWAYS descend into bickering eventually. I think its called voicing one's opinion.
Report Green Board November 17, 2010 9:58 PM GMT
Yeah maybe I'm hoping for too much but isn't it worth at least trying to get the forum a bit better so posts like 'A mug and a ****,Lewis #1 by a mile again.' are not the nomr? :S

Cheers for the ' gb did request we keep this thread clean so ill be signing out now to continue this elsewhere.' post by the way hadn't spotted that originally.
Report fisico November 18, 2010 8:26 PM GMT
Drver's salaries may give an idea as to who's the best driver: (Note Adrian Newey is paid more than Vettel and Webber together, which shows where the talent is in that team possibly)
1. Fernando Alonso Ferrari €30m
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes €16m
3. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari €16m
4. Felipe Massa Ferrari €14m
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes €9m
6. Michael Schumacher Mercedes Grand Prix €8m
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes Grand Prix €8m
8. Robert Kubica Renault F1 €7.5m
9. Rubens Barrichello Williams F1 €5.5m 
10. Mark Webber Red Bull Racing €4.2m 
11. Jarno Trulli Lotus Racing €3m 
12. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing €2m 
13. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus Racing €2m
14. Timo Glock Virgin Racing €1m
15. Nico Hülkenberg Williams F1 €700,000
16. Pedro de la Rosa Sauber €500,000
17. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber €500,000
18. Vitaly Petrov Renault F1 €400,000
19. Jaime Alguersuari Scuderia Toro Rosso €400,000
20. Sébastien Buemi Scuderia Toro Rosso €400,000
21. Adrian Sutil Force India F1 €200,000
22. Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India F1 €200,000
23. Lucas Di Grassi Virgin Racing €200,000
24. Bruno Senna Hispania Racing €150,000
25. Karun Chandhok Hispania Racing €Nil
26. Sakon Yamamoto Hispania Racing €Nil
This also shows which teams have the most money I suppose (Ferrari!!)
Report ocukstinky November 19, 2010 7:45 PM GMT
FI only paying their drivers €200k/yr? Bit stingy that, considering a miles worse team in Toro Rosso are payig their drivers double. Yijay Mallia isn't exactly short on money either..
Report fkqmz November 20, 2010 7:27 AM GMT
Sutil --> ferrari no 2 if they dont put his wages up?

i heard a rumour hulkenburg was in the frame as well
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com