Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
DOCTOR EVIL
16 May 10 18:12
| Topic/replies: 682 | Blogger: DOCTOR EVIL's blog
he passed the safety car line behind Alonso then dived up the inside for the next corner

I can't see anything wrong with this
Pause Switch to Standard View crafty move by Schu on the last lap
Show More
Report Green Board May 16, 2010 7:18 PM BST
Completely agree - if the cars aren't allowed to pass on the last lap after the safety car comes in then WHY THE HELL BRING IT IN!!!
Report DOCTOR EVIL May 16, 2010 7:48 PM BST
the race used to restart on the startline

now it restarts on the safetycar line

I cannot see where Schu has done anything wrong
Report DOCTOR EVIL May 16, 2010 9:02 PM BST
Schu gets a 20 sec penalty

I think he has been robbed

they should have driven the safety car over the start line
Report budvar May 17, 2010 1:08 AM BST
Nice one Damon!
Report red and white May 17, 2010 11:15 AM BST
Typical Formula 1. A boring procession most of the race, rubbish ending and the one driver who does something interesting on the last lap gets punished. What is the BBC paying for this cr@p?
Report fkqmz May 17, 2010 11:31 AM BST
oh dear a lot of people who dont know the rules here. the procedure for finishing the race under the safety car is that it pulls into the pits on the final lap. unlike during the rest of the race, NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO OVERTAKE AND THE RACE IS EFFECTIVELY OVER. This is a special rule only applicable on the last lap where the race finishes under the safety car.

whatever you may think of the rule, this is the rule and schumacher was correctly penalised. what i dont agree with is the penalty itself. he should have been demoted to 7th, not given a 20s pen which lost him all his points. this is probably down to the type of penalties stewards are allowed to impose in this situation. i can only assume they felt this was the best one under the circumstances.

despite whats they may say, they all know the rules and this is just another case of brawn and schumacher angle grinding and trying to gain an advantage by creating confusion (as if weve never seen that before!). dirty trick imo
Report frippar May 17, 2010 4:14 PM BST
c'mon man it was his best chance to overtake someone quickly and he went for it, doubt he will doing this again if possible until this season is over now
Report Ray Burn May 17, 2010 5:23 PM BST
Slightly dodgy rules & can see why Schuey & Brawn thought it was legit - I did.  Why on earth don't they just keep waving yellow flags if there's no overtaking allowed even though safety car has pitted??  Green flags suggest race is on.
Report SamH_123 May 17, 2010 5:27 PM BST
fkqmz how would you define a green flag?
I was under the impression it meant normal racing conditions...
Schumacher overtaking under green flag conditions is hardly a dirty trick

If the green flags should not have been waved then why should Schumacher be penalised for effectively listening to the 'referee'. 

I can't believe common sense couldn't prevail and the penalty just be to swap back with Alonso if what Schu did wasn't allowed though.
Report fkqmz May 17, 2010 6:10 PM BST
ia agree complete lack of common sense over the penalty. i do take your point over the green flag. but this is a complicated and new rule, can you really be sure that the guy waving the flag, or the guy who tells him when to wave it, or even charlie himself could really have been sure what to do under the circumstances?

its a sorry state of affairs but in these incidents, they can only do what they think is best at the time and hope the rules fall on their side later. in this case it was a good attempt at (what i will concede to calling) a sly trick, but the rules fell against them this time and the end result should have been schumacher 7th, alonso 6th.
Report budvar May 17, 2010 6:14 PM BST
Does anyone think he would have got away with it if he was driving a red car and Alonso was in the Merc?
Report Green Board May 17, 2010 8:22 PM BST
The rule is utterly stupid - at worst they should reverse the positions. Stupid penalties really wind me up! I mean it's not like in football where the ref is making a split second decision.
Report Riddick May 17, 2010 9:35 PM BST
@ FQKMZ

Yes we do now the rules thanks, it's just a matter of interpretation.

40.13 If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking

Was the race still under safety car conditions?

In my eyes, all the evidence says no, the safety car period was over and racing could resume for the final 200 yards.
Report fkqmz May 19, 2010 7:59 AM BST
still not taken your silver tainted specs off yet then? mercedes aren't appealing, they've given it up. i think you should too.
Report Riddick May 19, 2010 6:14 PM BST
No bias here i'm afraid, just someone fed up of politics in sport.

The FIA agreed to discuss the ambiguous nature of the rule in question, hence Mercedes dropped their appeal.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com