Forums

Motor Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
AFL
26 Mar 10 20:44
| Topic/replies: 5,732 | Blogger: AFL's blog
Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton has car impounded under anti-hoon laws

* Anthony Dowsley
* March 26, 2010 11:08PM

UPDATE 1.14am: FORMER Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton was caught hoon driving and his car impounded tonight.

The English McLaren driver did a burnout with smoking tyres and a fishtail in a silver Mercedes along Lakeside Drive in front of a Victoria Police divisional van that pulled him over about 9.15pm.

Hamilton was visibly upset as his car was towed away.

He will also be fined.

In a statement, Hamilton said: "This evening, I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police."

"What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

It's understood he told police he was worried the incident would dent his reputation.

"It would have been fair to say he was fairly disappointed," Sen-Constable Scott Woodford said.

The accident happened 50m from where La Porchetta founder Rocco Pantaleo was killed in a motorcycle accident on his way to the Grand Prix yesterday.

A witness said the 2008 world Grand Prix champion tried to hide his face from spectators.

He said as he approached the driver, Hamilton slumped down and tried to hide.

"That's when I got there. He had his head between his legs. He looked like he was thinking 'oh my God, what the hell', " said the witness.

Hamilton will be charged by summons with improper use of a vehicle.

His car was impounded by the Traffic Management Unit.

The witness told the Herald Sun police ushered the star into the back of an unmarked police car for an interview.

"It was pretty cool to watch. He was hiding in his car," the witness said. "They (police) knew who he was."

The incident came just hours after Hamilton set the fastest lap in the second practice round at Albert Park.

Hamilton scorched around the track in 1minute 25.801 seconds, leaving other competitors in his wake.

The GP star had appeared confident and relaxed after the session when he appeared before media at Albert Park.

A spokesman for the Grand Prix would not comment last night and would not confirm if Hamilton would be available for the qualifying round today.

Hamilton was considered to be among the strongest competitors against Aussie favourite Mark Webber.

Mercedes-Benz in Australia spokesman David McCarthy last night refused to comment.

"We provide cars to the McLaren team as part of our contractual and engine-supply arrangements," he said.

Lewis Hamilton, 25, has just sacked his father, Anthony, as his manager. He had never missed a race with him since he was 10 years old.

Last year he lied to the race stewards over an on-track incident, which got him third place in the race, eventually confessing and being sanctioned by motorsport officials.

Not mature enough to hold a licence. imo.
Pause Switch to Standard View Hamilton - Arrested for HOON DRIVING
Show More
Report Joel March 26, 2010 8:46 PM GMT
Lock him up imo
Report AFL March 26, 2010 8:51 PM GMT
Should be given a drive through penalty on the 1st lap, and undergo a breathaliser also.
Report AFL March 26, 2010 9:09 PM GMT
Seriously to do that on a public road, at a venue where there were 60,000 people earlier in the day, and plenty of booze filled people loitering, and 50 mts from where there was a fatal accident earlier that day, (not that he would have been aware of that) but it shows what a brainless act it was, and it just re-inforces Hoon Driving to the other brainless idiots that pervade our roads.

GROW UP LEWIS.
Report JustWinBaby March 26, 2010 10:09 PM GMT
What an idiot
Report DOCTOR EVIL March 27, 2010 12:28 AM GMT
stupid piccaninny

that means "Small child" in Portugese

before you all start complaining
Report Back High Lay Low March 27, 2010 1:00 AM GMT
I'm refusing to watch tomorrows match as a protest

Shame on Lewus Paddington
Report Dave P Fanclub March 27, 2010 4:06 AM GMT
It's a sad day for any right-minded, politically-correct, safety-conscious F1 fan. James Hunt would be spinning in his grave.
Report subbuteo master March 27, 2010 5:29 AM GMT
ROFL @ Dave

FFS you lot get a grip it was only a bit of fun.
Report Back High Lay Low March 27, 2010 7:04 AM GMT
That's a terrible altitude subaru, what if they'd bean children watching?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com