Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catford Toteboard
16 Mar 20 16:51
| Topic/replies: 2,344 | Blogger: Catford Toteboard's blog
Good afternoon chaps. I go every year and have hotel and flights booked. I also have ancillary arrangements in place. I see general manager Conor O'Neill is saying he is confident that the festival will go ahead, but he would say that, wouldn't he? What are your thoughts about it happening?
As the meeting marks the end of the Irish jumps season, I'm wondering of they might postpone it. I cant see the numbers working out for running it behind closed doors.
Would really appreciate some informed opinion.
Thanks
Show More
Report ambush March 16, 2020 6:17 PM GMT
if you take owner groom and trainer per horse. ave 100 runners per day.there wont be room for ground staff sis and ambulance services if they are to be under the threshold for the 500 limit on outdoor events. hri should have ceased racing full stop rather than setting the precedence of racing behind closed doors.its difficult to open up to the public unless theres a marked improvement in the covid spread which i cant see happening.also will you be allowed in to the country{dont mean any offence by that remark) with all this trave restiction.
Report Catford Toteboard March 16, 2020 7:19 PM GMT
Answer my own question. Highly unlikely that it will go ahead. Will wait, but will cancel my hotel asap. Aer Lingus might not be flying anyway.
Report ambush March 16, 2020 7:39 PM GMT
id ring the hotel and explain your situation, see if they will provisionally hold your booking in the eventof it been on ....even  if you booked it through an app.if its on aer lingus will be flying , if its not country will be in lockdown
Report Catford Toteboard March 16, 2020 7:45 PM GMT
Thanks Ambush, I'll give them a call in the morning.
Report olddesperado March 18, 2020 2:55 PM GMT
I think we really need to race on behind closed doors.
Obviously the big meetings like punchestown and fairyhouse won't happen commercially  but the bread and butter meetings could go ahead as they have been imo.

Owner trainer and lad per horse ,  limit runners if need be to keep down numbers,  one declaration per trainer to keep down lad numbers and give some if the smaller trainers a chance to survive.

It wouldn't be ideal but much better than a full stop anyway.
Report peckerdunne March 18, 2020 4:09 PM GMT
A Hotels will not be busy places, rest assured.

B I don't see aircraft in the skies.

C When we start burying our dead no one will care about racing

D Donald keeps ramming home the 'Chinese virus' message, doesn't sound short term.
Report baNjackst March 30, 2020 8:20 AM BST
it is suggested that when Irish racing resumes it will take place behind close doors until it is deemed safe for the public. From that conclusion it is likely to return much quicker.

To answer your question the chances of you being at Punchestown are not good and in my opinion zero
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com