Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
21 Nov 18 11:38
| Topic/replies: 31,465 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Good riddance to both of them , the terrible duo...
Pause Switch to Standard View O'Neill Keane Gone...
Show More
Report pa lapsy November 21, 2018 11:59 AM GMT
It is chronic football from the team for well over a decade and they weren't any help despite a weak squad. england were almost as bad until 2 years ago so it can be done even with average players.Don't think we will ever see the days when we were competetive against top teams again though.
Robbie MacNamara retired as well,pity as seems a sound fella,unforunately not being getting good horses or results overall.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 21, 2018 12:27 PM GMT
Mick McCarthy 8/11 is the bookies favourite to succeed as the manager of the Republic of Ireland. The former Irish manager was in charge of the side from 1996 to 2002, during which time he had an infamous bust-up with current assistant Roy Keane. McCarthy resigned in November in 2002 but, 16 years on, some fans are calling for his return to try and get Ireland back on track.

Stephen Kenny 15/2 2nd fav has led Dundalk to four of the last five League of Ireland titles. Before he arrived at the Lilywhites, they hadn't won the league since 1995. Dundalk are now the best team in Ireland and Kenny is one of Ireland's most successful managers ever. Kenny would create an organised team and could get Ireland playing well enough again.
Report scamboogah November 21, 2018 1:29 PM GMT
John Delaney should go as well, the only thing he has improved these past few years is his own salary.
Report Kriskin November 21, 2018 8:03 PM GMT
Ireland don't have the players at present.  When Mcclean is one of ur top players the ur in trouble.  Scotland have a far better pool of players
Report peckerdunne November 21, 2018 8:10 PM GMT
Big mistake big mick.Can we see someone who will actually play football.
Report shlotter November 21, 2018 8:30 PM GMT
We need to prise Chris Hughton away from Brighton
Report Kriskin November 21, 2018 8:45 PM GMT

Nov 21, 2018 -- 2:30PM, shlotter wrote:

We need to prise Chris Hughton away from Brighton

His wages at Brighton will be a lot bigger

Report shlotter November 21, 2018 9:06 PM GMT
Indeed, but he might be tempted.
Report Kelly November 22, 2018 3:13 AM GMT
Have not seen a lot of talent on the pitch for Ireland for a while .  Whether that is due to the players or the management is open to question . Martin O'Neill is arguably a better manager than either of the front runners being mooted , so not sure where the whole set up is going .

Back to punditry for the retirees presumably . Might be better craic than trying to get blood from a stone .
Report RoyalAcademy November 22, 2018 11:25 AM GMT
It seems not even Keane's "unique" style of motivation could work on young lads who said "Roy, who?". The days of being a bully and having nothing much else upstairs are gone. O'Neill comes across as an entitled has-been living on past glories who has the thinnest skin imaginable. Between supposedly late teams announcements, playing payers out of position, lack of simple practice on dead ball situations and no apparent tactics other than to play "scared" he was a shambles. Ireland may still play with intense passion (??) but that's not much use if you're a headless chicken.

Delaney is the most entitled of all. Listening to a recent "The Stand" podcast Eamonn Dunphy tried to bury him but much to my disgust Brady and Giles refused to co-operate. It was very unsatisfactory and left the distinct impression that both are variously on the FAI payroll. Brady has form here when he refused to criticise Trap's execrable style of play. In any event, Delaney's fall would be much anticipated, however unlikely. Hopefully, there's a Stormy Daniels out there.

The big question for me is: can an average bunch of players perform significantly above themselves if the are coached well and the system of play is brilliantly executed. We accept that there are examples all around us including Leicster's Premiership,Munster back in the day and even Michael O'Neill's Windsor Park squadron. I'd give Kenny a chance at one qualification attempt. See if his LOI genius can translate to a bigger stage and get players playing for some pride and even attempt to pass, yes PASS, the ball. What have we to lose? I wouldn't cross the road to see the present set-up.

There might be a parallel with the appointment of Kerr back in the day and that wasn't a great success or a risk that the players would not respect him but of course you have to earn respect.
Report peckerdunne November 22, 2018 12:12 PM GMT
We need a director of football.
We need a style,a pattern,a culture of play from the bottom up for every Irish side.
We need someone who has a proven record in developing and blooding young players.
We need someone with extensive connections in the English game and even beyond.
We need to think big and long term.
We need someone who is not a football dinosaur in terms of modern ethos and knowledge but who has enough experience to command respect within a dressing room.

We do not need Robbie Mick Rodg Podg Seamus or Sean e e n beag.
Report scamboogah November 22, 2018 1:35 PM GMT
Stephen Kenny's achievements are over rated. Let's be honest, there has been only two competitive teams in the LOI these past few years and it's been easier for Dundalk having the money behind them. At least when Brian Kerr got the job he had the experience of developing the underage teams on the international stage. Kenny doesn't even have that.
Report Racingqueen November 22, 2018 6:47 PM GMT
Irish football  is a joke.

Tinpot football sides plying their trade at a level equiavlent  to the Albanian 5th division.

I see the brave Matt Doherty has already kicked O'Neill when he as down.....brave man is Matt having won the grand total of f**k all of value in his illustrious career.

Football players are dirt....its always someone else fault.

The Irish team are dirt pure and simple.

you could argue O'Neill has done the best of all Irish managers. Charlton and McCarthy had players hundreds of times better and ended up with with the same resume.....a knock out stages appearance in a major tournament and a big scalp victory in the group stages
Report kavvie November 22, 2018 7:40 PM GMT
stephen kenny deserves a shot at it.but like brian kerr he will be critised every move by  the pundits who lauded the likes of trapatoni  etc.  one thing i always remember about mick mccarthy who i like generally was during a vital wc match against spain he wasnt aware that spain were down to 10 men?  like how the fcuk?  was he not watching?!?!  oneill hadnt the same resume as others.his win % was around 30%  i think  staunton was over 50%
Report peckerdunne November 22, 2018 9:16 PM GMT
Stephen who
Report Racingqueen November 23, 2018 10:19 AM GMT
"I think managing your country is the ultimate honour. If you offered me the job of managing Real Madrid or Barcelona or Ireland, I would choose to manage Ireland, because it's the greatest honour you can have as an Irishman."

Stephen Kenny has come out with this pearl. Anyone choosing the current Ireland mob over Real or Barca has no ambition and shouldn't be given a teapot to manage.
Report peckerdunne November 23, 2018 12:22 PM GMT
It is going to be a right royal pig's ear as usual.

Can we have a referendum.
Report MALAY November 23, 2018 3:04 PM GMT
he was a disaster at Dunfernlime, his last step up, but the players might not have been good enough, to be fair to him,and he might have been seen as not good enough by players and media.

however
I
international football is not important to your average championship/ bottom of English top league. James mclean the only warrior for shirt and hes very limited technically.
Report shlotter November 23, 2018 3:16 PM GMT
We need to all go to the top tier nations, ie Brazil, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Netherlands, Argentina etc etc impregnate as many women as possible so that we can hopefully create a generation of players that will put us back in the big time. Do you think John Delaney and the FAI would agree to the “cloning” program?
Report Racingqueen November 24, 2018 7:03 PM GMT
just when you think the embarrassment of the FAI could get no worse, they pull this stunt

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1124/1013087-stephen-kenny-to-replace-mccarthy-after-2020-finals/

So McCarthy is a dead duck who players know is out the door no matter what happens.
Report punchestown November 24, 2018 7:35 PM GMT
Bizarre to say the least,McCarthy undermined before a ball is kicked.
Report peckerdunne November 24, 2018 7:54 PM GMT
Up in the air ha
Report peckerdunne November 24, 2018 7:58 PM GMT
Jay sus f ing wept what a carry on
Report peckerdunne November 24, 2018 8:08 PM GMT
I smell a rat here big time.

I was already curious when I saw Mick on tubridy.

Plot thicke ns .

Then Kenny makes that stupid declaration
Report peckerdunne November 24, 2018 8:10 PM GMT
Roy has also been remarkably silent of late
Report peckerdunne November 24, 2018 8:14 PM GMT
How many app!icants.

None of seems.

Robbie by the way is thick as two short planks also.
Report Racingqueen November 24, 2018 9:23 PM GMT
Robbies wife is fronting up the Spar/FAI adverts cos she's better known than anyone in the Irish squad ffs. thats how low Irish football has gone

This stunt is to give Delaney time. He knows if McCarthys time goes south, hes screwed so if 1 manager cant be used a s shield, use 2..
Report Racingqueen November 24, 2018 9:27 PM GMT
in fairness Roy doesn't have the emotional intelligence to be a manager (also add in the fact your average modern day footballer has the intelligence of a turnip and is nigh on impossible to manage)
If I was him, I'd stick to taking free money on ITV and enjoy a family life. Shearer has done this and is one shrewd cookie for doing so.
Report peckerdunne November 24, 2018 9:54 PM GMT
Roy is not a peop!e person.

My point is did he know already about what was to come.
Report peckerdunne November 26, 2018 10:15 PM GMT
Eh yeah right u know wot I mean like em jay sus slow down  will ye
Report shlotter November 27, 2018 12:51 AM GMT
I say we go with the long term cloning program.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com