Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frank60
16 Sep 18 17:50
| Topic/replies: 4,262 | Blogger: frank60's blog
Well done to the Dublin ladies who bt Cork , over 50,000 in Croke Park , the G.A.A is alive and well in Ireland in both codes.
Pause Switch to Standard View THE All ireland double for Dublin
Show More
Report peckerdunne September 16, 2018 9:51 PM BST
Yes in two codes and they'll all be making more little Dubs fairly soon...Grin

Probably only 80 percent of those will be market forced out so still plenty left to chase down the seven in a row...Excited
Report Kelly September 19, 2018 5:21 PM BST
Dublin well deserved their success over Cork on Sunday , and the ladies football is probably more enjoyable to watch as a sport than the current mens game ( generally) . However the population imbalance skews the whole picture , albeit Dublin have not always been able to produce All Ireland winning teams . But when the Dubs get the system right as they have recently , hard for counties with populations a fraction of theirs to compete .
Report workrider September 20, 2018 9:13 AM BST
So what we are saying Kelly is EVERY Capitol city teams should win their Championship..Maybe you have discovered a new betting system Laugh..I seem to remember Kerry winning several in a row, nobody questioned Dublins population then. No its simply that they are the BEST team , for years nobody in Dublin had any real interest in GAA, that has turned on its head. Dublin and Sam have become great friends it seems, and the affair looks certain to continue...
Report peckerdunne September 20, 2018 2:27 PM BST
Must be at least 10 million people in Kilkenny also.
Report frank60 September 20, 2018 4:01 PM BST
Did you not know Pecker that all babies born in Kilkenny are born with a Caman in their hands. I love hurling and i love The Dubs to win Liam MacCarthy Cup before i pass on, but its 80years since we last won the hurling, Sad
Report peckerdunne September 20, 2018 7:48 PM BST
Frank i used to sit with my Da hoping he would see the Dubs make a hurling final.

We did thankfully see the League final together but now like you it's me hoping for Liam..

I know i wont see it even if i get another 30 yrs...

Hurlers always always poor relations in Dublin...
Report jimeen September 20, 2018 7:56 PM BST
Kelly is correct , Dublin have got the system right and sadly for the game itself, it looks like they are going to be the dominant force for years and years. The only possible danger to their dominance is Kerry , the rest of the teams haven’t an earthly of bridging the huge gap. The big problems now are firstly , people won’t go and see them mash the weaker teams, and the players from the weaker counties won’t bother training the way they should be doing , as it is all rather pointless.
Report frank60 September 20, 2018 9:13 PM BST
Im given my age away here Pecker but i was all ireland hurling final with my Dad when Dublin last played in 1961, for the record Tipp bt us by a point.Sad
Report Kelly September 21, 2018 3:34 PM BST
Workrider , the imbalance in population county wise is no guarantee of success , but anyone given the choice of selecting from 60,000 as against over a million would be an idiot to choose the 60,000 .  Why reference a betting system ? 

As Jimeen says the result may be good for Dublin and the GAA in and around Dublin , but a near monopoly is not good for any game/situation . Hurling though is not a city based game given the inability to play street hurling . And the best hurling counties generally are in the traditionally country areas . And as for Belfast producing players given a now large GAA population , there is still only one born and bred and  Belfast living player with a senior All-Ireland football medal , playing for Down as entitled having been born south of the Lagan .

I remember watching the Dubs playing Down in Newcastle in the eighties in the National League , the Dub supporters there said they could name every Dub supporter in the ground , the bus for their supporters was not full . Times change though as we all know .
Report workrider September 22, 2018 6:54 AM BST
I was joking re the betting system, I never heard anyone complain when Kerry were winning 5 in a row or Kilkenny doing something similar . Now the Dubs are winning everything its boring etc, sounds a little like sour grapes to me and I don't even follow the game. Kelly unlike those Dubs from yesteryear I can only name one Dublin player and that's the Rock lad, as I'm friendly with his uncle Tony...
Report Racingqueen September 22, 2018 10:09 AM BST
people always go on about unfairness of money, population etc... what is happening in Dublin at the moment is a once in a lifetime group of players playing. Once the retire, Dublin will take a natural dip.

Its happened with every dominant team in sports history
Report Kelly September 22, 2018 5:27 PM BST
The difference now is that Dublin , having organised themselves , have a huge population to choose from.  Kerry , Kilkenny , etc do not have huge populations , so what they have achieved is even more commendable .

The current set of players in the Dublin camp are of the highest standard , and that extends to nearly 30 players we know about , that is the difference , Kerry , Kilkenny etc did not have that strength in depth .

I like watching the current Dubs , even when they are beating up other teams they are still worth a look .  However the basketball type style of football ( and the Dubs are not slaves to it I hasten to add ) suits guys who can run all day ( and play football too) . Dublin have more guys in that category than anyone else , so the prospects of anyone taking them apart is unlikely .

Not sure what the future holds , except  for a start I want to see the hand pass limited to 2 consecutive . Tinkering with county boundaries which have been in place for centuries not particularly desirable in my book .

At least the hurling is at the highest level I can remember .
Report peckerdunne September 23, 2018 2:18 PM BST
If they adjust/amend the hand pass they should also ban the keeper being outside the 21..
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com