Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Vubiant
08 Aug 18 18:59
| Topic/replies: 7,153 | Blogger: Vubiant's blog
Anyone else agree that 7 days is too much of a drag ?
I reckon a compression to 5 days ( 6 at most) would be an improvement ,up the quality and cut out some of the nothing races. I would go Tuesday to Saturday -leaving Monday free for the racing staff to travel and prepare and allowing them to have the following Sunday as a rest and relax day. Staff needs as to  family and social time should be a prime consideration.
Come to think of it when the great Divine Lad up in the sky got bored  of playing with His yo-yo and created ,er, creation for a laugh -He decided 6 days was enough and needed a rest on the 7th -which He craftily created for that purpose.
Pause Switch to Standard View Galway festival too long ?
Show More
Report davieboy. August 8, 2018 7:31 PM BST
Couldn't agree more.
Report firstimevisor August 8, 2018 7:45 PM BST
With the attendances they are getting I think the only question now is when will they add Day 8 on to the Bank Holiday Monday.It doesn't make much sense racing in Cork and The Curragh on the Monday when so many racegoers are in Galway.
I wouldn't have a problem with starting a day later, or even 2 days later but half the country is on holidays that week so its just not going to happen.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan August 8, 2018 7:48 PM BST
Only a matter of time that CHELTENHAM goes on 'til the Sat Devil

LEAVE LISTOWEL OUT of this discussion.....tia Devil
Report peckerdunne August 8, 2018 9:05 PM BST
Stags and Hens welcome..
Report Kelly August 9, 2018 12:23 PM BST
5 days would be plenty, satisfy everyone except the hoteliers and pubs/restaurants . There are now a lot of races at Galway you wouldn't have a bet on .
Report kevo August 10, 2018 9:29 AM BST
The quality of racing doesn't improve in these extended festivals, in fact it's the opposite.
Report The Icchantika August 10, 2018 1:24 PM BST
The 7 days draw a crowd, and would do even more so if the weather was good. The Tote figures were down because the Tote is finished. The ring figures were down due to a combination of the ring being finished and seriously inclement weather on certain big days. Suggesting Galway should shorten the festival is ridiculous. The track should be used more, if anything. Best facility in Ireland and it gets used for summer and a couple of 2 bob meetings in Autumn.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan August 10, 2018 5:55 PM BST
workrider • March 3, 2015 7:32 PM GMT
Robo plucks another old username from the mire...
Report mrcombustible August 11, 2018 9:25 PM BST
I liked it when it was just 3 days and then you had Tuam on the Friday

Most of the races are now low class rubbish
Report irishone August 30, 2018 8:48 AM BST
The course is a very tough introduction to the sport for many a young horse. The maidens and novice hurdles are breeding grounds for cheltenham winners and as such are small pots but highly competitive. Many of the handicap hurdles are low class but the winners that come out of them are worth following  The chase course is unique because of the seven strides between the last two fences, the two furlong flat, uphill , then downhill then uphill finish. All the other sh1te that goes with it in the party county is hyped up , but all the time you can go there and see the likes of presenting percy, penhill, tiger roll, rathvinden,balko des flos i dont care how many days they have.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com