Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
17 Jul 18 19:57
| Topic/replies: 31,465 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Sitting in Merrion Sq today when a man approached me to sign a petition , it asked me did I think deaf people deserved a new international building , I said to him anything to improve their predicament  would be fine by me, he seemed to understand and bowed his head in thanks , gave me a lovely smile and handed me the petition to sign which I proceeded to do. It was only when I read the end line , it said I should give sponsorship of 10e to his good self . The Romanian gentleman was not a happy bunny when I said no..
Pause Switch to Standard View .....Scam....
Show More
Report pa lapsy July 17, 2018 8:24 PM BST
A lot of people have got the note from a child that says no English and they're in a fierce prediciment and could ya please help?
No coincidence they can mostly be found outside churches looking for the conscientious few bob.

Very easy to pass yer man again,easier still to doctor up an a4 page with the same content except you can't read or write,still give his a cursory glance and instead of 10e put 20e and see his reaction, ya might get a gold toothed smile haha.
Report workrider July 18, 2018 11:02 PM BST
Well it would be Frank, after all it was Spain!...Laugh
Report frank60 July 18, 2018 11:37 PM BST
Thr old deaf and done scam.  beware lads of these scams... Hope you made a few Shekels at Fairyhouse today.
Report workrider July 19, 2018 1:38 PM BST
Only had the one bet there last night Frank. 100e on first winner @ 7/4 and left it at that.
Report kevo July 20, 2018 3:17 PM BST
I was stopped in a Killarney car park by a women who handed me a note with a big smile, the begging note stated no English and children to feed etc. I asked her if she had change of a 50e note and she understood that perfectly well as she pulled out some notes, needless to say I had no intention of funding her lifestyle.
Report frank60 July 23, 2018 4:36 PM BST
Beware of this scam on your travels lads.               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NzIm0JxjOM
Report workrider July 23, 2018 5:10 PM BST
That's exactly the same scam I was talking about, same headed paper etc..
Report frank60 July 23, 2018 5:50 PM BST
The guy in the vid is very good at catching scamers W/R, foremites could do worse then checking out his vids before heading out on the holidays.
Report workrider July 23, 2018 7:04 PM BST
True Frank, these people have no scruples and will do anything they can to empty your pockets...
Report Kelly July 24, 2018 8:49 PM BST
When I lived in Dublin it was "lend us a shilling mister " time . You soon learned to walk on , we were not used to begging in the north . Now we too suffer from begging  , mainly city centre and major shopping complexes .

No doubt there are some who are in dire need , but increasingly there is organised begging / scamming/selling  . Nobody ever gets prosecuted for "nuisance" behaviour here , be it for approaches or lighting fires in unsuitable places . But we do pay some people for organising fire lighting provided there are no flags involved .  Every bonfire site I saw this year was festooned around with loyalist "flegs" of all varieties , most of them from so called banned organisations / affiliations .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com