Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
monarch
23 Sep 16 12:36
| Topic/replies: 6,254 | Blogger: monarch's blog
Just reading on the rp online. Financially wasnt worth it anymore. Real shame. Fine trainer given the right ammo
Pause Switch to Standard View Colm Murphy to quit training
Show More
Report neill d September 23, 2016 12:48 PM BST
Jesus, a steep decline. That Gigginstown horse that won a few handicap chases but kept falling before that, kind of always had the sense that he would've been a graded horse with one of the top lads. That was the problem I guess as prior I thought he was a guy that would do well with good horses.

He had some fantastic days anyway which are more than most get. Produced Brave Inca and Big Zeb beautifully for Cheltenham and landed that monster gamble with Brave Inca that time.
Report RoyalAcademy September 23, 2016 1:15 PM BST
Long time ago now neill. As Postman Pat used to be fond of saying to his moggy: time waits for no man!

Training horses solely as a living (and hopes of success in the big time) is now the preserve of a very privileged few.
Report neill d September 23, 2016 1:22 PM BST
Very Salient point Royal Academy.

Gordon Elliot is approaching the Jim Bolger league in terms of resourcefulness, saw last night that he is in the process of getting into training 2yos, he's some man. He'll top Mullins in the end, just that kind of guy. It will be an epic duel. One will want it as badly as the other, bit like Pipe/Nicholls whereas Henderson effectively opted out of the bout with Pumpkin Head by deciding not to run any horses until February!
Report Rocketfingers September 23, 2016 9:45 PM BST
The Tallaght gypo was his last hope but that was lost when buggsy pulled some magic beans out of his pocket instead of some real money LaughLaugh
Report olddesperado September 24, 2016 9:48 PM BST
With the Potts, JP and Giggy on board this comes as a major surprise.

How are some of the others surviving then ?

Is it the Mullins/Elliot monster ?
Report Mordin. September 25, 2016 12:36 AM BST
The Brave Inca connections seemed to have an ad in Racing Post every week for last 5 years selling syndicate places, amazing that had no effect
Report GANT007 September 25, 2016 11:01 AM BST
5 trainers operating out of a yard near me, 1 trainer used to fill this yard on his own, don't know how these lads are making a living.
Report workrider September 25, 2016 11:06 AM BST
Thats some situation they find themselves in Gant , it must be hard on the guy who used to fill it having others in when he was once the sole occupant , times hard indeed...
Report GANT007 September 25, 2016 1:23 PM BST
There wouldn't be much sympathy for him to be honest. 2 lads simply couldn't afford the insurance on their own yards. I'd say most of the 5 will be gone out of the game in 24 months. Small trainers are moving to the flat, yearling - 2 year old and sell.

Not a fan of gigginstown for a few reason but I reckon they will be running against their 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings in small fields within 2 or 3 years.
Interesting times ahead for NH racing as we know it.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 25, 2016 1:46 PM BST
There's always the pt-to-pt for a pay day
Report GANT007 September 25, 2016 5:47 PM BST
Catch me.......Getting hard too, Elliott will win all the 4 yo races north of punchestown and the 2 big south east selling yards will have their 4 yo drilled to the wall to win a maiden elsewhere.
Report mitch leary September 26, 2016 5:25 PM BST
At least 15 Potts horses from Murphy gone to tizzard.
There has to be more to it than just financially not viable. He only had the Potts horses a few weeks so obviously had intended to stay at the game when he took those on.
Report workrider September 26, 2016 5:33 PM BST
Yes I found that strange Mitch , different if Potts were taking them away ...
Report GANT007 September 26, 2016 6:30 PM BST
It's a strange one for sure.
Report Bigwillystyle September 26, 2016 9:31 PM BST
Obviously fell out with Potts already.  Potts is a clown. Wonder how long he will last with Tizzard before there is a falling out!!
Report GANT007 September 26, 2016 10:33 PM BST
Potts will be grand with Colin Tizzard and will have loads of winners.
Potts like to be the big fish in any yard he has horses. De Bromhead looking for more staff due to more horses.
Report neill d September 27, 2016 12:05 AM BST
As owners go, he's the sh!ts! Spends a few bob as well I'd say, doesn't get much for it, really. Might have a few nice results at somewhere like Taunton, and Colin be tellin' him "He'll be better on a more galloping track." lol
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 28, 2016 11:33 AM BST
"Throw me down some" - Colm.
Report mitch leary September 28, 2016 1:21 PM BST
Couldn't Murphy have expected to get some of those giggy horses from Mullins too.
Very very strange
Report Temlett September 28, 2016 2:52 PM BST
Murphy chasers have desperate jumping record and per an article by Tony Keenan, he is the highest in terms of faller % among Irish trainers, or at least the sample size of most of the main trainers used.

It was 18.1% and Empire of Dirt himself has fallen 4 times, while Gates of Rome has tried to end jockey's careers with some of his jumping in the past.
Report neill d September 28, 2016 3:01 PM BST
Retract, Retract!

Not sure he would've gotten much anyway in the race to put manners on Willie Mullins by making Gordon champ. Maybe he heard about this coming, found out he wasn't getting more horses and figured his situation wasn't going to improve. You wouldn't get a more cataclysmic event than this to alter your fortunes.
Report Bigwillystyle September 28, 2016 4:03 PM BST
Meant to be a story breaking about Murphy over the coming days.....
Report mitch leary September 28, 2016 6:26 PM BST
Any idea what in relation to willy?
Report mitch leary September 28, 2016 11:40 PM BST
The only reason I can see for Murphy packing it in is that Potts pulled the plug and also add to that he maybe wasn't going to get any of Mullins giggy horses.
Report GANT007 October 12, 2016 1:37 PM BST
Bigwillystyle........You had the trainer worried there for a few weeks.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 3, 2017 2:52 AM GMT
Michael Hourigan may have claimed a double at his local Limerick track yesterday but the success failed to lift the spirits of the veteran trainer who has grave concerns for Irish racing. Undressed was a 6/1 winner under Mikey Forgarty of the Ladbrokes Rated Novice Chase before Cian Collins drove Moores Road (3/1 favourite) to victory in the Frank Hogan Mercedes Benz Limerick Handicap Hurdle.

Hourigan, who turned 69 earlier this month, said: "It's nice to get a winner. I used to be leading trainer here when I could train five or six winners in the week, but now there are younger fellows like Willie Mullins taking over and training 20 in the week.

"I've had great times and this place is a happy hunting ground, but we're quiet at the moment.
"I have between 25 and 30 horses in training. It's plenty because you can't get the staff and this training game is a headache now.
"You're not happy doing it, you do it because you love it. There's not a hope I would stay at it if I was younger as I don't have the numbers. This game has been good to me though and I'll stick at it as long as I can - we'll survive."

WHO'S NEXT TO QUIT (or have that decision made for them) ?
Report workrider January 3, 2017 10:48 AM GMT
Had noticed his dropping out of the picture in recent weeks,seems only yesterday he was having plenty of winners ,one he one of those who never moved with the times or was it something else, anyway I wish him well,remember his Son riding some nice winners for him years ago, weight took its tool on the lad it seems.
Report GANT007 January 3, 2017 8:11 PM GMT
MH has done well out of the game but these days you need repeat customers.
Report Mordin. January 4, 2017 10:28 PM GMT
A list of trainers who have packed it in, any others?
Colm Murphy
David Wachman
Charlie Swan
Joanna Morgan
Report GANT007 January 4, 2017 11:48 PM GMT
Are the 4 above still involved in racing?.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 25, 2017 8:00 PM BST
Sandra Hughes has announced she is to give up training in the next few months as she feels it is no longer financially viable. Sad
Hughes took over the reins at Osborne Lodge in County Kildare on the death of her father, Dessie, in November 2014 and soon chalked up two Grade One wins with Lieutenant Colonel before the end of that year in the Hatton's Grace and Christmas Hurdles. She enjoyed her most valuable success with the Katie Walsh-ridden Thunder And Roses in the Irish Grand National at Fairyhouse in April 2015.

Hughes told RTE Racing. "I plan to wind down over the next two to three months, to be honest it's no longer financially feasible to carry on, but we're not sad about it, it's the right decision for us. We gave it our all. "It's been fantastic and I really feel Dad has been with us all the way, but this is a real numbers game and if you find yourself down on numbers, you have a problem. It's been wonderful, it's been fantastic to do it.
"A big thank you to all my staff - without them I wouldn't have been able to do it, they were absolutely fantastic - and thank you to all my owners who supported me and stayed with me until the end. It was fabulous."

Reflecting on her training career, Hughes said : "The Irish National was a dream come true. I was going hoping he'd run really well after his bad run at Cheltenham, but to win was just absolutely magic. When he jumped the last, I closed my eyes, and I thought he was going to be placed but Katie was absolutely magic on him.
"All I said to her going out was 'don't bully him, he'll do it for you' and she just sat like a little mouse on him and she was wonderful. It was lovely for us, as a training establishment, to continue on what Dad had started. He brought these horses along as young horses and to finish off the job made us feel very proud."
She added: " I have no immediate plans. I would hope to stay in the racing industry and I would hope that with my knowledge I will find something. I will be on the lookout and hope to find something in racing."
Report Catch Me ifyoucan April 25, 2017 8:02 PM BST
Anaglogs Daughter‏ - Sandra Hughes, 'it's not financially viable' - If she can't make it pay after winning  The Hatton Grace & National god help the rest of them.
Report workrider April 25, 2017 8:25 PM BST
I'm sorry to see that,shame that someone who's just won a huge race last year having to pack it in,yet the old everything is rosy in the garden, will be chucked out from those running the game .Tells us all we need to know about the state of racing here!I wish her well in whatever she decides to do.
Report monarch April 25, 2017 9:12 PM BST
Another trainer gone. Real shame. In fairness she gave it a good go, what with the likes of Lt. Colonel and her National winner. Also more recently with Acapella Bourgois.
Report punchestown April 26, 2017 10:41 AM BST
Losing the Gigginstown horses didn't help her cause.Echo the thoughts though if she can't make it work what must it be like for the smaller fish out there...
Report GANT007 April 26, 2017 6:17 PM BST
Behind all the fanfare, Irish racing is in pretty bad shape.
Report by purpose April 26, 2017 7:36 PM BST
Be honest here people.If u could afford to own a horse and keep it in training would you send it to Ms Hughes?
Report GANT007 April 27, 2017 12:06 PM BST
That's the problem, most owners wouldn't know the difference between a good trainer and a bad one, they follow the trends.
Report CustomCut April 27, 2017 2:12 PM BST
Hughes has done very poorly recently, either she wasn't good enough or wasn't trying hard enough. Can't say I got the impression she was going out of her way to attract new owners, not exactly prominent in media or social media. Every time a trainer quits we hear about how it's a sign of bad times as if they're all entitled to earn a good living. No one is entitled to a good living unless you're good at what you do and on all recent evidence Hughes isn't.
Report GANT007 April 27, 2017 3:14 PM BST
Correct customCut and especially in an elitist sport like horse racing, you will get no sympathy from anyone. Lots of people leaving the game regardless of what you think is going on. It's worse in the UK, they can't get staff.
Report workrider April 27, 2017 3:39 PM BST
Staff problems here too Gant.
Report GANT007 April 27, 2017 3:57 PM BST
I agree Workrider and as the economy picks up a little bit, it will get worse. I know of another very capable trainer ready to jump ship.
Report workrider April 27, 2017 4:14 PM BST
Sorry to hear that Gant,but not surprised .
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 15, 2019 1:47 PM GMT
"I've only a couple in. The licence is up in February and I probably won't renew it. We had great days with my father but now I've no interest in training for anyone else," Robbie Hennessy after his Fairyhouse win with Dylrow
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 11, 2020 10:17 AM GMT
This time last year
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com