Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
callitasucit
01 Nov 15 21:59
| Topic/replies: 5,332 | Blogger: callitasucit's blog
An intriguing contender in an interesting race.

Hard to be dogmatic without knowing where he is at fitness wise, but with a Hennessy defeat being his only blemish on his 4 seasonal debuts(the fact he went there first time out suggests they thought it a positive), it is hard to have it as a reason not to back him.

He is a few pound wrong with Smad Place on official ratings, but I don't think his official mark does him justice. If back to his best, it is more than exploitable. Which is a bit of a worry, as you would wonder why they don't try plunder a decent hcp first up.

I thought he was a certainty in the Hennessy, and had been backing him for a couple of months prior to it. To my eye, he traveled like the best horse in the race. Until 5 out, when he suddenly went from tanking to beaten in a matter of strides. The fact he wasnt seen again til Feb, and then not seen since after another disappointing display(when again well backed), suggest there was more wrong than they thought at the time.

Smad Place finds it tricky to win, granted he has kept some exalted company, and if Fingal Bay is right tomorrow I think he will get the job done. And in style.

3-1 at the moment, that is freely available, so I imagine 7-2 will be there for the taking in the morning. If he was weak in the lead up to the race, the alarm bells would obviously be ringing. But I am more than prepared to take my chances on him.

75 on here for the Hennessy, that is huge. Second fav last year off 7lb higher than he is now. And it is very easy to believe that he just hasnt been able to produce his running due to injury the last twice. If back to his best, he will be a single figure price again in just under 4 weeks time.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 19
By:
mincer11
When: 01 Nov 15 22:29
Callitascuit, if you read Hobbs's trainer file on the post there lately , then you wouldn't have a pound on Fingal Bay tomorrow .
I cannot remember exactly what he said but it was something like hoping it would run well but could well be retired if he put in a stinker.
By:
simply perfect
When: 01 Nov 15 22:33
Hope you're right Callit, have always adored the horse. Only horse to beat Simonsig under rules.
By:
neill d
When: 01 Nov 15 23:02
Not crazy about the way some of his chasers jump but Hobbs always seemed a real gent/ straight shooter and him saying that would put me off, even though I was going to back him.

On retirement, could see him going point-to-pointing in the UK, he'd likely do very well at that.
By:
CheltenhamRoar
When: 02 Nov 15 00:30
You'd wanna be on drugs to back smad place at his current price.
Infrequent winner,trip well too sharp, and up against some decent opposition.
Fingal bay will murder him if he retains half of his ability.
By:
lewisham ranger
When: 02 Nov 15 09:02
"trip well too sharp"

Don't agree. It was actually winning a similar event very easily at Huntingdon over the same distance, before making a sloppy mistake at the last and unseating the Jockey.
By:
mincer11
When: 02 Nov 15 11:05
This is exactly what Hobbs said as i just found the paper.
" He had me dreaming he could be a gold cup horse this time last year but things didnt work out for him. He broke a blood vessel in the Hennessy and we struggled to get him back after that. He works on lasix and seems in great order again, and i know when he's right he's still a high class horse. Weather permitting he could start back in a graduation chase at Kempton next Monday, the trip of 2m 4f is short of his best but it should be a small field and that might suit to start with. I simply cant say what way the season will go, you could say he'll either win a big one or end up being retired "
Now if thats not negative i'm a Dutch man. Bursting blood vessels, working on lasix," seems in great order "," when he's right", trip short of his best, cant predict what way the season will go, could be retired. If that isnt enough negativity to  not back one , well i give up.
In my eyes, reading that article, it will never win another race.
By:
Eddie Batt
When: 02 Nov 15 12:19
I'm a layer of Smad Place at around the 11/10 mark-after the Hennessy last year his trainer said they tried to win without a prep race and it didn't work-today is obviously prep for Newbury and the horse doesn't have the greatest strike rate over fences.Fingal Bay is a talented screwball -will be looking to lay him in running at odds on to break even.The horse I like is Easter Day -Nicholls has often talked about how much he likes graduation chases and he will obviously be trying today.
By:
Eddie Batt
When: 02 Nov 15 12:46
About €20 a minute being matched on betfair-exciting stuff.
By:
callitasucit
When: 02 Nov 15 14:16
It's possible Fingal has had enough of going through the pain barrier, and hence still looks the real deal at home when in the comfort zone.

I would have the small field as a big positive, and though not as confident as I was(I would make him an evens shot if Hobbs said all problems had been ironed out), I still think he rates a bet, albeit a smaller one now.

Best of Luck all.

I have always been a fan myself Simple, though not as big a fan as I am of Simonsig. He was wrong that day FB beat him. Was told a week or so afterwards that they couldn't see him beat at Chelt. I kept backing him ante post.....for the fu**in SupremeCry

No matter what PN says about his fitness, Sil Conti has a massive class edge today and could have that lot well out of their comfort zone.
By:
kingrat
When: 02 Nov 15 17:17
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 02 Nov 15 17:54
This is a great thread,an opinion given in reasoned tones,a note of caution added by Mincer using information divulged by the trainer,the result is almost irrelevant.

I lost money on Fingal Bay when they didnt run him in the bumper some years back,I was going to back him today but when I read Mincers post containing the word Lasix I held back.

If Fingal Bay had won I would have no complaints as the facts had been laid before me and I made my own decision.

Callitasucit knows his form so I am surprised he didn't hang back on learning what Hobbs said.
By:
callitasucit
When: 02 Nov 15 18:21
Thought he had winners measure  before two out. Just didn't see it out. I would imagine something has to be hurting, either mentally or physically.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 02 Nov 15 19:13
Call,
With Rat or Fingal (both I presume) Devil
By:
callitasucit
When: 02 Nov 15 19:19
Ya couldn't even attempt to begin to diagnose the former!!
By:
mincer11
When: 02 Nov 15 19:49
Fingal Bay was a brilliant horse , as somebody pointed out he was the only horse ever to beat Simonsig and that took some doing. He has quite clearly had his problems and unfortunately is destined to never fulfill his potential.
The year he missed the Sun Alliance hurdle, he was favourite and had to have gone close.
By:
Eddie Batt
When: 02 Nov 15 20:33
The market was screaming for Fingal Bay today-he might struggle to build on today's performance.
By:
CheltenhamRoar
When: 28 Nov 15 09:26
Fingal bay today is the day
By:
koikeeper
When: 28 Nov 15 09:37
Not the best of jumpers, GL
By:
callitasucit
When: 28 Nov 15 22:35
He actually jumped pretty well in the main until the straight when he came under the pump.

Backed it e.w. Was in work and unaware that the field had been cut to 15 when watching it. Thought I had collected on the place frontSad
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com