Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
winsamsoon
27 Aug 15 13:12
| Topic/replies: 741 | Blogger: winsamsoon's blog
The good days for Irish amatuer boxing could be coming to an end. From what I hear he was happy to stay and had agreed a deal but the IABA basically renaged on their side just before the contract was to be signed.
One good thing that might come from this is Katie turning pro after the Olympics and finally fighting some world class fighters instead of the same few girls all the time.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 112
By:
MayoMan
When: 27 Aug 15 17:52
Those boxing Admin guys would want to be jailed if Walsh ends up in the US
By:
frank60
When: 27 Aug 15 17:57
If ever there was an unsung hero of irish sport its Billy WALSH, What Billy has done for irish boxing is truly unreal, Walsh represented Ireland at the Seoul Games in 1988 and has guided Irish boxers to seven Olympic medals during his time as coach. in the London Olympics Ireland won 4 medals in boxing ;2 more then the U.S.A, and equal to the Cuban tally, its no wonder the U.S.A. want Billy as head coach for there team, The offer on the table from the USA is rumoured to be far superior to what Walsh was being offered to stay at home, although Walsh’s decision is not believed to be based on money.  I hope we dont lose Billy , irish boxing would be poorer with his departure.
By:
winsamsoon
When: 13 Sep 15 11:58
Anyone have any update?
By:
frank60
When: 13 Sep 15 12:46
No change up to a few days ago. Winsamsoon
By:
freddiek
When: 13 Sep 15 13:51
he never trained an Olympic Gold medal winner though. thats the real acid test. Hes not involved in Katie's training as her father looks after that.

maybe he won't be the huge loss its being made out to be.
By:
tobywong.
When: 13 Sep 15 14:19
ffs ^^ CryCry
By:
frank60
When: 13 Sep 15 14:50
Grin
By:
freddiek
When: 13 Sep 15 15:25
its the personality cult again. we must have a genius controlling everything. Forget about the boxers, its Billy Walsh that gets us the medals eh
By:
elvissss
When: 13 Sep 15 15:56
The yanks obviously agree with u fred .... big fat contract waiting to be signed
By:
winsamsoon
When: 13 Sep 15 15:59
You're right freddiek, we'll keep producing the boxers. Only problem is they'll be doing the fighting in carparks in Mullingar and Belfast.
By:
freddiek
When: 13 Sep 15 16:07
he got 2 boxers to the finals in the last 2 olympics. not counting Katie cos her dad is her trainer.

just feckin 2! if there is not a man in Ireland that cannot do at least as good as that with our squad of boxers id be surprised.

good luck Billy on your megabucks deal with the Americans.
By:
frank60
When: 13 Sep 15 18:22
Fred take time out to look at Billy Walsh,s record in the world and european  boxing champs and if you still feel the same way so be it.Confused
By:
freddiek
When: 13 Sep 15 19:51
frank people are making out like the whole house is going to collapse if Billy goes and i just don't buy that, with the quality of boxers we have and framework already in place.

and hopefully in Rio we'll get that elusive male boxing Gold which billy god bless him did not deliver.

Be hopeful people!
By:
tobywong.
When: 11 Oct 15 12:50
billies boys performing admirably yet again Blush
By:
frank60
When: 11 Oct 15 13:12
A nice Timely Reminder Toby to show people how Important Billy is to irish boxing, 3 Brooze medals  guaranteed in the World Championships in Doha, a Remarkable perforemence for a small country.
By:
frank60
When: 12 Oct 15 19:34
Although little or no  Recognition is giving on the Irish forum to our boxers in Doha i cant let it pass but to Congratulate Joe Ward, and Michael Conlan on making the finals  World boxing Championships, Well done lads.
By:
workrider
When: 12 Oct 15 19:45
Frank you are so right , hardly a mention of the lads in the media , shameful imo...
By:
mincer11
When: 12 Oct 15 19:50
If they werent at the olympics, they'd be bare knuckle boxing in the midlands somewhere. Ward, are ye fukkin joking me or what, do people think that the average Irish man is cheering for him?
By:
workrider
When: 12 Oct 15 19:58
Most boxers are from working class backgrounds Mincer , with the exception of the Christie Bros way back . The po po lot of mammys boys from Dublin 4 etc would **** themselves if confronted with violence of any discription , many a mammys boy on here who become Internet Warriors , but would run a mile if asked to protect themselves..
By:
frank60
When: 12 Oct 15 20:16
I could see Mincer causeing many a row and be the 1st one to run when the going gets tough,..his Comments on the Good luck to both national teams thread were shameful[Please France, can you please beat the shiite out of these shower.] i well aware that Mincer likes to dig below the belt to get a Response but even he cant be to proud of this one.
By:
1.01's no fun
When: 14 Oct 15 18:10
Superb effort from Billy's team-

Michael Conlan World Champion
By:
tobywong.
When: 14 Oct 15 18:12
superb , delighted for the lad ( and billy) !
By:
workrider
When: 14 Oct 15 19:09
Great result, well done lads.
By:
freddiek
When: 14 Oct 15 20:45
this lad Conlan is a classy operator and not surprised to see him win the Gold. of course some lads on here will want to give Billy Walsh all the credit but tbh young Conlan is very experienced now and wouldnt need much tuition.

hope Joe Ward can make it 2 golds tomorrow.
By:
tobywong.
When: 14 Oct 15 20:53
CryCryCry
By:
frank60
When: 14 Oct 15 23:35
Well done Michael Conlan, Michael o reilly was hard done by in his fight , great show from Billy and his lads,
By:
frank60
When: 15 Oct 15 20:29
Gold, silver.Bronze  for our great boxers,
By:
frank60
When: 19 Oct 15 18:11
Just days after winning gold at the World Championships, Irish boxing has been thrown in crisis with the news that head coach Billy Walsh has resigned.
Walsh, who led Ireland to Olympic, World and European gold medals, has now stepped down from his role as Head Coach of the IABA's Irish High Performance Unit and senior team,
There had been increased speculation over Walsh's future in recent weeks, but hopes remained that the coach and the IABA would be able to come to an agreement which would see him remain in the position.
"Regrettably the IABA have not made it possible for me to continue."
However a statement from Walsh today read: "Regrettably the IABA have not made it possible for me to continue on in the role as Head Coach of the High Performance Unit and senior team."
Walsh had reportedly agreed a new contract drawn up by the Irish Sporting Council, which funds Irish boxing.
However, the IABA is understood to have declined to consider that contract, instead pushing a contract of their own which was not agreeable to Walsh.
The statement explained: "Since February of this year I have been engaged in a process with the IABA to secure my future as Head Coach with the High Performance Unit and senior team.
"A protracted process that went on for eight months included numerous high level meetings that resulted in various proposals. In August a fair proposal was developed under the auspices of the Irish Sports Council (ISC) that was acceptable and fair but then not subsequently ratified by IABA.
By:
workrider
When: 19 Oct 15 19:02
Unreal,the IABA should hang their heads in shame...
By:
freddiek
When: 20 Oct 15 21:37
ah billy, ye should have stayed with yer own. The Yanks may have the big-bucks deal ready for him to sign but it wont be the same as working with the Irish lads.

as Paddy Barnes said, we have great amateur boxers in this country whether Billy is in charge or not and his shoes can be filled. there'll be no tears shed as its just business.

be gas if Billy trains a Yank and ends up in an Olympic final next year against one of our lads.
By:
tobywong.
When: 20 Oct 15 23:14
in all fairness freddie , u aint got a clue !
By:
freddiek
When: 21 Oct 15 00:02
tobywong, get behind the boys and Katie for next year in Rio. You're going on there like u want us to fail just to prove a point. Billy has taken the money and ran so its time u got over it. Hopefully his replacement does even better and coaches a male Olympic gold that billy couldnt.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 22 Oct 15 09:56
Right now Billy Walsh is making sure his seat is in an upright position and the IABA are, supposedly, preparing to explain how they let him leave.

The former head of Irish boxing's hugely successful High Performance Unit is en route to Memphis for the US Olympic trials where he is expected to sign on as head coach of the American Women's Team.

Despite unprecedented pressure in recent days from the Irish Sports Council, the Irish Amateur Boxing Association have failed to explain how a new contract agreed by all parties in August was never brought before the IABA's executive council.

It is believed Wexford native Walsh, who has masterminded seven Olympic medals in his time running the HPU, was seeking more autonomy in terms of team selection, which the IABA were unwilling to cede.

Walsh's departure for the United States means he will be coaching potential competitors of Irish Olympians - including defensing champions Katie Taylor - at next summer's Rio Games.

Meanwhile the angry boxing fraternity will await the IABA's explanation with interest.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/boxing/pictures-billy-walsh-will-soon-be-walking-in-memphis-as-us-boxing-coach-after-leaving-dublin-airport-this-morning/45411?utm_content=buffer24e7b&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
By:
freddiek
When: 24 Oct 15 21:03
i see 100K plus for a few years wasnt good enough for Billy to sign on the dotted line.

how much does he bloody want??
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 24 Oct 15 22:19
All we got from the start was the Billy Walsh side.

It seems Freddiek called it right from the beginning.
By:
winsamsoon
When: 25 Oct 15 13:29
Just read Freddies comments back and I can't see what he's called right. Money has sweet fa to do with it. You could easily multiply that 100,000 if he wanted to join one of the big pro outfits in America.
Correct or not Billy was getting the credit for everything,  and this pissed of the IABA (and Freddiek), so they said 'F Him,  let's make him run everything past us'.
To compare, it would be like asking John Delaney to pick a squad,  Martin O'Neill to pick the team and then take it back to Delaney to see if it's OK with him.
I think Billy has held himself well, an other guy would have walked months ago.
The IABA made their first statement about 2 min after the door was shut on the plane, virtually all of which has been refuted since.
It'll be at least next summer before we find out how much of a loss, if any,  he'll be, but I've a feeling there won't be too many,  Katie included, staying amatuer.
By:
Racingqueen
When: 26 Oct 15 00:24
who honestly cares if Walsh stays or goes. Genuinely, I'd say more people worry about the price of toilet roll than this rubbish.

125k to coach a bunch of boxers more suited to carparks in westmeath is a joke. If I was IABA I'd offer him 25k and leave it at that.
By:
tobywong.
When: 27 Oct 15 15:33
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/the-real-story-behind-why-billy-walsh-said-goodbye-to-irish-boxing-34137122.html
By:
kavvie
When: 27 Oct 15 16:33
amazing story.was it the fact hes not from dublin i wonder?his face obviously doesnt fit..
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com