Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
14 Apr 15 20:30
| Topic/replies: 18,579 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
THIS WEEK the action is from both sides of the world, so we will have 24hr golf coverage from Wednesday to Sunday night.

FIRST UP is Genzon Golf Club from Shenzhen in China on Wednesday night late where BUBBA is "the only player in the world’s Top 1,000 taking part !"

THEN we welcome you to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina - where we remember Matt Kuchar holed his bunker shot on the 72nd hole to defeat Luke Donald by a shot last year.

MASTER CHAMPION Jordan Spieth (has a nice ring to it don't you think) is paired with Kuchar and Patrick REED on Thursday at 17:40pm and again on Friday at 1pm.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 90
By:
newapproach
When: 14 Apr 15 22:02
One of the most enjoyable events this week @ Hilton Head. A tricky, beautiful seaside track in windy conditions. 5 e/w selections for me this week;

Webb Simpson 33/1
Beaten in a playoff in this a few year ago by Gmac shows his adeptness for this course. A couple of top 10 finishes this year show him to be in decent form.

Brandt Snedeker 33/1
Previous winner of this event who has already won @ a seaside course this year @ pebble beach. Did not play the w/e @ Augusta so should be fresh enough.

Russell Knox 66/1
Excellent links player who has done well on PGA tour. Has played notably well in Honda Classic in similarly windy conditions.

Camilo Villegas 100/1
Played well enough @ Augusta despite missing the cut. Has 3 top 10 finishes here over the years and showing signs of return to form this year.

Jerry Kelly 200/1
Often goes well @ these shorter, seaside courses inc sony open and OHL classic this year. Finished 5th here in 2013.

Best of luck.
By:
callitasucit
When: 14 Apr 15 23:52
Not a bad event at all for the week after a major, and as newapproach states its a cracking venue, which doesn't cough up low winning scores. Something in around 10/11 under should at least make a playoff.

That will be more in line with typical Masters winning scores than last week was. A Major it is not, but I think the market has made a major error in underestimating the chances of Aaron Baddeley.

On first look, he may not look to be in great form, but I believe he is very close to his best. In his ten events so far in the wrap around season, he has produced 8 rounds in the 60s on Thursdays. Fridays have been killing him. That may again be the case this week, but he comes to a venue where he will have very good memories. Not only was he successful here in 2006, but was not outside the top 22 in the following 5 years. There is little doubt he operates well here, and that offers the hope that he may put 4 good rounds together.

The 150-1 that was readily available yesterday has dried up, but 160 is available on here, and the 125-1 in PP comes with the bonus of 6 places.

Given his penchant for fast starts, the 130-1 for FRL looked nearly an even better bet. That too has been cut slightly, and though it is a market where a large slice of luck is needed to collect, the 125-1 still available looks a fantastic bet to me.

The bookies were slow to chalk up yesterday, but that may have been a blessing, as I had my work done by the time the opening shows appeared, and so could take advantage of a few prices that were quite a bit over what I was hoping for.

Jordan Spieth I suppose has to be fav. He was awesome last week, but If he manages to win this week off the back of that superb triumph and what followed, then he is truly superhuman.

I much prefer the chances of Zach Johnson. A past winner of the Green Jacket himself, that Augusta performance was something of an anomaly for him around there. It was very encouraging to see him perform so well there last week, and he now returns to a track which is much more likely to suit his game. Only Rory McIlroy performed better over the closing 45 holes last week, and Zach will be licking his lips at the challenge ahead. He seems to have been tipped up by quite a few pundits, and that opening 20-1 has disappeared, but I would make him fav, and 16s is still worth a punt.

True enough, his recent form doesn't offer a whole deal of encouragement, but I was still surprised to see 40-1 on offer for a perennial challenger around here. Luke Donald really should have lifted the trophy last year, only for Matt Kuchar to pick pocket him with a holed bunker shot on 18. He wore wrist strapping last week, which would be a slight cause of concern, but his Friday round was vastly superior to his first days attempt, so I am inclined to ignore it. Luke traditionally performs consistently well at 'his' tracks, and this is certainly one of those!

Webb Simpson was beaten in a playoff here in 2013, and certainly has the game to suit this track. He has slowly but surely been getting accustomed to his new putter, and he has showed enough in recent outings to suggest he is ready to contend with it. An impressive Masters showing will send him here in positive spirits.

Kevin Streelman was available at 70-1 for a short while, but the 66-1 that I attained was well over what I had expected. His game has been coming together the past few weeks, and he will have been absolutely delighted with his 12th place finish last week. Third here last year, if his putter is on a going week, he will go mighty close.

I was kind of glad that Kevin Na pulled out, as I quite fancied him, but didn't think much of the early quotes.

Instead last man in was Graeme de Laet. Harder to make a case for, he has been suffering with injuries himself, but I feel the week after a Major may be the time for this bridesmaid to have its day.

He had a winning chance at the Northern Trust, but a final round 73 put paid to any hopes there. Again in the Shell Houston he appeared to be rediscovering his best, after consecutive 67s to be right in the hunt going into the weekend only to ultimately fade tamely. But at 80-1 he has shown enough to warrant an interest here, especially as he comes here fresher than a lot, and potentially more hungry than most.

1.5pts e.w Zach Johnson 20-1
.8pt e.w Luke Donald 40-1
.8pt e.w Webb Simpson 40-1
.5pt e.w Kevin Streelman 66-1
.4pt e.w Graeme de Laet 80-1(6 places)
.6pt e.w Aaron Baddeley 150-1

.4pt e.w Baddeley FRL 130-1

Total Staked Week 14......86.6pts
Total Returned Week 14....90.7pts
Total Staked.............568.6pts
Total Returned...........579.15pts
Running Total............+10.55pts
R.O.I....................+1.86%

I may add Baddeley at 5-1 for Top 20.
By:
frank60
When: 15 Apr 15 00:39
I would love Baddeley to win Callit ,he has had  many up and downs with his game but there no doubt he well capable to win this event, i think he finished in the top 20 in the U,S open last year,  i believed he suffers with depression ;we wish him well.
By:
applehunter
When: 15 Apr 15 12:04
Webb Simpson was the player that came into my head when I thought about this week. Ideal setup for his game.

Brendan de Jonge is a good EW price. He's been playing well this season and its the type of set up to suit as well.

In China, Bubba looks a cracking price. World No. 4 is only player in the field in world Top 50. Course should suit. What am I missing?Shocked

Others that appealed to me was the Kiridech Aphibarnrat(did i get that right?) 33/1. The other is Alex Levy the winner of last years Volvo China Open at the same venue who is a very fair 25/1.
By:
pa lapsy
When: 15 Apr 15 13:37
Not sure Applehunter,next best is ranked 58 compared to Bubba's 4,Dragon lake and tree lined fairways are possible downfalls but they all have them as well,the upside of 4 par 5s and 4 shortish par 4's.In his pre tournament he is giving the course plenty of respect citing the need to be in the right place off the tee and the undulating greens.Longer hitters did well on this course in the China Open last year.
I'm in with ye.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 15 Apr 15 14:36
TWO Irish guys get to kick this off tonite, well betting wise anyways (First tee time is 11.30pm - 6.30am local).

00:00        Michael Hoey (6/4)        Soren Kjeldsen (2)        Damien McGrane (5/2)   
    00:10        Alejandro Canizares (7/4)        Mikael Lundberg (2)        Craig Lee (21/10)   
    00:10        Alvaro Quiros (6/4)        David Howell (21/10)        Oliver Wilson (16/5)   
    00:20        David Horsey (13/10)        Lucas Bjerregaard (9/5)        Jerome Lando Casanova (3)   
    00:20        Richie Ramsay (17/10)        Ross Fisher (7/4)        Robert Karlsson (9/4)   
    00:30        Bubba Watson (11/10)        Alexander Levy (2)        Hao Tong Li (7/2)   
    00:40        Nicolas Colsaerts (6/4)        Romain Wattel (6/4)        David Lipsky (3)   
    04:40        Eddie Pepperell (6/4)        Richard Bland (2)        Kristoffer Broberg (9/4)   
    04:50        Gregory Havret (7/4)        Darren Fichardt (19/10)        Shiv Kapur (2)   
    05:10        Chris Wood (6/4)        Adrian Otaegui (15/8)        Matthew Baldwin (11/4)   
    05:20        Pablo Larrazabal (11/8)        Tommy Fleetwood (6/4)        Matteo Manassero (15/4)   
    05:30        Andy Sullivan (11/8)        Gary Stal (15/8)        Wen Chong Liang (14/5)   
    05:40        Kiradech Aphibarnrat (11/8)        Tyrell Hatton (2)        Y E Yang (11/4)   
    05:50        Thomas Pieters (13/8)        Felipe Aguilar (2)        Oliver Fisher (9/4)   
    06:00        Tom Lewis (6/4)        James Morrison (19/10)        Chris Doak (5/2)   
By:
frank60
When: 15 Apr 15 20:03
ANYONE GOT THE PASSWORD FOR THIS WEEKS IRISH TIMES FANTASY GOLF, TY
By:
padlock
When: 15 Apr 15 20:04
F knows what bubba turns up in china,trying grillo,pieters,bob karlsson
By:
huddys
When: 15 Apr 15 20:08
In China ive backed one player against the field,Pablo Larrazabal,showed some great form last time out to finish 3rd,at 25/1 against a weak field I think hes a cracking e/w bet,
Wasn't going to do a bet in America this week,but after reading callit write up ive also backed Braddley,

Selections,
Larrazabal e/w 25/1

Braddley e/w 125/1 6 places,
First round leader 100/1,
best of luck this week lads,
By:
applehunter
When: 15 Apr 15 20:09
@frank60

PRESTWICK
By:
frank60
When: 15 Apr 15 20:42
Thanks applehunter
By:
easygold
When: 15 Apr 15 22:00
I don`t usually get involved before the off, but Rory Sabbatini looks too big @ 149/1. He plays well at this course, and although you may feel he is out form, I have been following his play closely and I can see him putting four rounds together at some stage this year. That`s the problem he has he shoots under-par on the first day, but can`t repeat it the second day, his third and fourth rounds are up there with the best of them.

I will follow him for the rest of the season, and he may surprise a few this week, I don`t think it`s beyond him.

149/1 (win)
24/1 Top-5
8.5/1 Top-10

And if you can get on Top African 6/1 with Stan James e/way 1/3 odds 1-2.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 15 Apr 15 23:01
SHENZHEN INTERNATIONAL

This is the first of four tournaments in China on the European Tour this year. The Volvo China Open has moved to Tomson Shanghai Pudong Golf Club in Shanghai for the second leg of the fortnight swing. Shanghai is also on the list in mid November for the final two outings.

Genzon Golf Club is located in the picturesque CITIC Botanical Garden 30km north of Hong Kong. It opened in 1995, a standard par 72 of 7,145 yards with four par 5s (2, 9, 13 and 17) 547, 536, 543 and 575 yards respectively. Scoring on these par 5s will be key and that has to bode well for BUBBA.

The fairways are generous and that played into the hands of the big hitters when this track staged last year’s Volvo China Open.
Two of the European Tour’s longest drivers finished in the top three, with Frenchman Alexander Levy taking victory and Alvaro Quiros coming home in third.
It’s designed by Neil Haworth and as he had a role in nearby Sheshan International (home of the WGC-HSBC Champions), so form from that event may be relevant too given that big-hitters Bubba and Dustin Johnson are the last two champions there.

Leading finishers at Volvo China Open 2014 played here in Genzon Golf Club
-19 Alexander Levy (France)
-15 Tommy Fleetwood (England)
-13 Alvaro Quiros (Spain)
-12 Francesco Molinari (Italy)

-11 Anders Hansen (Denmark)
-11 Ian Poulter (England)
-11 Henrik Stenson (Sweden)

-10 Rafa Cabrera-Bello (Spain)
-10 Simon Dyson (England)
-10 Michael Hoey (Northern Ireland)
-10 Mikko Ilonen (Finland)
-10 Andy Sullivan (England)

BUBBA Watson, the 2014 WGC-HSBC Champion with T8 in Sheshan in 2013 - “I played all 18 holes yesterday, and I have to say, the second is one of the tightest holes I’ve seen with the trees. “Off the tee, this golf course is very demanding. You need to position it in the right spots, and then the greens are going to be tricky because of the undulation – it’s about green speed. “So it’s going to be tough, but I’m looking forward to the challenge and hope to have a chance on the weekend – that’s why I’m here.” This course may not suit, so it all depends on his mental state. Will pass until Rd2. 

Bubba tees off in less than two hours with the highest ranked Chinese player Hao-tong Li OWGR 194, 7/2 in the 3ball maybe too big for a four-time winner on home soil within the last year. Levy the defending champ makes up the numbers.

Tommy Fleetwood was runner-up on this course in the 2014 Volvo China Open. He’s also made the top 25 in the last two WGC-HSBC Champions so plays well in China.  His band tour these parts in June/July too. My 25/1 WINNER fwiw.

My favorite Korean Byeong-Hun An 40/1 ew, has quietened since opening 2015 with a run of 12-5-13-7 and still been making the cuts. AN’s long off the tee so this could be a good stage for him to kick on again. He’s posted top 25s in three of his last four tournaments in China.

Thomas Pieters 66's 'the Belgian bomber' with a fourth in Abu Dhabi, a T16 in Malaysia and an opening 64 in the Joburg Open two starts ago makes his first appearance in China and is on the victory radar.

Morten Orum Madsen 33's is a good fit for this course with a T19 on last start here.

Tian-lang Guan who in 2013 became the youngest player in history to make the cut in the Masters gets a doff of my hat, buts that's all. (20's T20 with SJ btw).
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 15 Apr 15 23:27
Accums, etc with Fleetwood Mac along with...

Jordan Spieth @ 7.50
Patrick Reed @ 26.00
Charley Hoffman @ 34.00
Brendon Todd @ 67.00
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 02:33
3ball bets...
Alvaro Quiros / David Howell / Oliver Wilson
Bubba Watson / Alexander Levy / Hao Tong Li
Nicolas Colsaerts / Romain Wattel / David Lipsky
Pablo Larrazabal / Tommy Fleetwood / Matteo Manassero
Kiradech Aphibarnrat / Tyrell Hatton / Y E Yang
Thomas Pieters / Felipe Aguilar / Oliver Fisher
By:
padlock
When: 16 Apr 15 11:54
Backing some outsiders in usa tringale,every,weekley,badds,ishikawa and kj choi
Is spieth a machine who will win again?
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 12:05
PAD,

"Jordan Spieth I suppose has to be fav. He was awesome last week, but If he manages to win this week off the back of that superb triumph and what followed, then he is truly superhuman".
By:
frank60
When: 16 Apr 15 12:12
Superhuman? what does that make Tiger in his prime,   Spieth 7/1 here if someone put up 10/1 you be knocked over in the rush to get it Catch.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 12:33
Just a few days ago marked the 40th anniversary of Nicklaus' win in the 1975 Masters. He follow that victory with another at Harbour Town Golf Links the following week.

Ten years later Masters Champion Bernhard Langer, after playing in only his third Masters followed suit and won here in Harbour Town in 1985.

NOW for the first time since 2007, the Masters champion is teeing it up at the Heritage and I promises it will be another 'Classic' ! JORDAN SPIETH will become the latest since Zach Johnson honoured his commitment at Harbour Town - he finished sixth here after his lone title in a major. Jordan, the Dallas native received a sponsors exemption into the 2013 RBC Heritage and finished tied for ninth so he is kinda repaying the Sponsors with his commitment.   

SPIETH is making his third appearance in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, so he's already familiar with the course and these climes. OK it is case of beware the let down or behold the achievement? No one is hotter. Twenty consecutive red numbers. Tops on TOUR in adjusted scoring. Just another day at the office for Jordan Spieth. No doubt all the family are here with two houses again like at Augusta (one for sleeping, the other to get away from golf).
He's on a massive roll and Harbour Town with its course management and strategy right up his street!

There is nothing to stop Jordan winning this on his way to World number 1.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 12:39
Slight correction as Spieth arrived late Tuesday at the Hilton Head Island home where he is staying with friend and fellow competitor Justin Thomas this week, the end of a two-day whirlwind following his resounding Masters victory Sunday.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/04/15/3700090/jordan-spieth-meets-with-media.html#storylink=cpy
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 13:55
+Dbl ew Jordan Spieth/Tommy Fleetwood
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 14:06
First round of the inaugural Shenzhen International at The Genzon Golf Club layout.
Here's some of the more interesting numbers from today's play.

66 - Low score of the day from Wen-yi Huang, his lowest European Tour round since the 2013 BMW International Open.
211 - The distance of Morten Ørum Madsen’s hole in one on the 12th hole. Made with a sweetly struck 4 iron.
3,797 - The number of holes Madsen played on The European Tour before his first hole in one, in his last start, at the Tshwane Open. It took him just 59 days to make his second, today in China.
226 - The distance of Byeong-Hun An’s hole in one on the eighth hole today, the longest par three on the course. Also his second hole in one of the season having made one at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship.
22 - Hole in one tally for the 2015 season. The record is 39 for a European Tour season back in 2006.
500 - European Tour starts for Raphaël Jacquelin. The 28th player to reach that milestone on The European Tour today.
4 - Wins in his last 15 starts for 19 year old Hao-tong Li, China’s number one ranked golfer. He shot an opening round 71 today to Bubba's -2.
80 - For Tian-Lang Guan today, the 16 year old amateur who famously made the cut at the Masters two years ago.
74.01 - Average score today. 45 players of 154 players in the field broke par. 16 broke 70.
5 - The hardest hole today. The 474 yard par four yielded just six birdies compared to 86 bogeys or worse.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 14:57
Aaron Baddeley ... The 2006 champ has garnered some interest on here but his meaningful run here ended in 2011. Since, he's just 1-for-3 with a T42 in 2013. He remains statistically speaking one of the best putters in the world, but his tee-to-green game remains one of the worst !

Baddeley who has joint U.S. and Australian citizenship posted a FOUR-UNDER-PAR 34-34=68 in the opening round of the Valero Texas Open BUT the highlight of his year so far must be his 'birdie' on hole 17. A once-in-a-lifetime experience was to follow after pulling his tee ball at this drivable par 4 as Aaron was forced to swallow an unplayable lie. Now back at the tee and hitting his third, he promptly holed out from 336 yards for 'birdie'.

The Aussie is 3 weekends-for-3 at TPC San Antonio with a T3 (2010) and T15 (2013), but he's logged only one T30 this season, that a T17 in Phoenix not far from his Scotsdale home. His nickname is “Badds.” Some might call it appropriate or a little ironic considering the high moral standards that he's set for himself ? "My friends called me that nickname growing up. It’s sort of catchy. But my life is all about following the Lord and doing what’s right" - Baddeley. Amen.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 15:08
frank60...I would love Baddeley to win Callit, he has had  many up and downs with his game but there no doubt he well capable to win this event...i believed he suffers with depression ;we wish him well.

Hope you not mixing him up with 29-year-old Queenslander Steven Bowditch who suffers clinical depression.
By:
frank60
When: 16 Apr 15 17:32
Baddeley is a committed Christian and has confessed that it was his faith that prevented him giving up professional golf on numerous occasions. Baddeley's wife Richelle, whom he married on April 15, 2005, sums up Baddeley's faith in God, saying: ". He never asked, 'What are you trying to teach me? I want you to be the man you want me to be. I will go through these [bad] times if that is Your will'." Richelle has also been pivotal to Baddeley's resurgence. "I had to learn the balance of letting him be alone when he comes home sometimes upset. It's sheer frustration from him. He's played his best, and it just hasn't happened," she said. Baddeley and his wife Richelle have two daughters Jewell Kalaih and Jolee.[3] . ..I hear that about Steven Bowditch Catch , i rekon  pro golf must be a real downer when things go wrong.we only see the good side on TV.
By:
applehunter
When: 16 Apr 15 17:53
Amen to that.

Think we are all on Baddeley going by the posts.Grin

Had a score on Luiten @ 210 but it went unmatched. He then goes out and birdies the opening 2 holes. Sad
By:
frank60
When: 16 Apr 15 18:16
i hate when that happens Apple,Sad
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 18:58
Frank60 ..."i believed he suffers with depression"...

IS THIS A FACT ? or is it just your belief ?
By:
huddys
When: 16 Apr 15 20:25
That three putt from less than 10ft really killed Braddley,he was flying til then,
By:
frank60
When: 16 Apr 15 20:59
He has to put it behind him Huddys, but easier said then done.
By:
frank60
When: 16 Apr 15 22:02
BACK TO -1 THINGS ARE LOOKING BETTER.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 22:21
Huddys, tink you mean BADdeley...Keegan is not playin
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Apr 15 22:30
currently 79 players at +1 or better nearing the end of Rd1.
By:
applehunter
When: 16 Apr 15 22:46
Great stuff from GMAC.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 17 Apr 15 00:35
PATRICK REED has no course form to fall back on this week but he’s played 17 w/ends in a row. Pat’s last MC was way back at the The OPEN and he hasn’t finished outside of T23 in his last five on TOUR. His short game, especially his putter, makes him a must play any week he tees it up. A double on the 18th dropped him back from a T10 opening round.

CHARLEY HOFFMAN finished T9 at Augusta National, his third straight top 11. Top 10s here in 2012 and 2013. T14 in par4 scoring will do fine by me. Got it to 3under today but his last two holes snapped them shots back.

BRENDON TODD, Ya know, the guy who excels at all the course-specific statistical categories (DA, P3 Scoring, Proximity, Scrambling). His streak of five straight top 30s ended last week with a MC at the Masters and that’s not a surprising result given the length of Augusta National. A second straight MC would be surprising. A triple bogey on the par3 14th today (found water and 3putt) didn't help his chances this week !
By:
frank60
When: 17 Apr 15 15:37
-4 now for  Braddley , -3 for today after 6 holes; Keep it going son.
By:
applehunter
When: 17 Apr 15 15:55
Spieth -5 for his round. Some player.

Kuchar out in front is trolling me.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 17 Apr 15 16:56
Frank60, at least get the loser's name right...BADDELEY

Jordan 'SUPERMAN' Spieth wins this, ON THE SNAFF as they say.
By:
frank60
When: 17 Apr 15 17:35
Spieth -8 after 17holes Apple, .was AS MUCH AS 55s and 60s overnight; you would be lucky to get 9/2 now, as you say some player.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com