Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
reb
28 Mar 15 16:03
| Topic/replies: 1,097 | Blogger: reb's blog
Came across this recently. The survey is completely confidential and anonymous. Its purpose is to give the researchers information about online gambling in Ireland. The information provided will also help those treating gambling addiction to develop better treatment responses.

Well worth 5 minutes of our time to complete.

http://gamblingsurvey.ie/

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 83
By:
kincsem
When: 28 Mar 15 17:31
You want us to fill out a survey that paints us as sad losers who need help to conquer an addiction that is ruining our lives?
The second word is off.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 28 Mar 15 18:27
No problem, Reb, happy to help the treatment of those in the gambling community who happen to need it.
By:
pa lapsy
When: 29 Mar 15 00:00
Reb to an extent i agree with Kincsem,the questions are slanted that way.
Acknowledge there are problems for some with "sports gambling", down the line there are going to be dwarfed by those that have problems with electronic gambling on slots etc, i'd have a feeling that is growing rapidly and worrying,they should be outlawed in my opinion on the grounds of social conscience.
By:
frank60
When: 29 Mar 15 12:47
Gambling most likely is the worst of all the  addictions, you only have to take a ramble around Dublin city and you can see the problems with drugs ,its there before your very eyes,  Alcohol is the same,.. With gambling you can hide it , Most  people know someone you have lost the trust of there love ones because of gambling , if we are honest with ourselfs we all need to take stock where gambling is conserned, as Del boy would say You know it makes sense!.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 12:59
The responses above are telling.  I would urge every one to take the survey, if the questions irritate you I would say its a strong indication that you have a problem.  Looking in a mirror is not always a comfortable exercise.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 14:11
The assumption behind these surveys is that all gamblers are losing, and that they have an addiction.
I never see a survey of share investors  or property investors asking them to explain the effect it has on them and on the lives of those around them.
I am retired.  When I worked in industry as an accountant I was surprised at how people spent/invested money (shareholder money, not their own) with little or no assessment of possible outcomes.
There is a lack of practice in the population at assessing risk.   We need more good gamblers.
By:
maxheadroom
When: 29 Mar 15 14:19
if it helps to put some regulations on bookmakers its a good thing. like we will only take your bets if you lose winners not welcome written across the bet slip.knowing how much you have won/lost over the lifetime of the account another good idea.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 17:06
I did the survey a few minutes ago.
It is the typical biased survey produced by someone dealing with problem gamblers.

This question gives you a flavour: "How much time do you spend on typical gambling session?"

I do not gamble in sessions.  I know what event interest me.  I do my research.  I go online and bet, I log out.

I live within a mile of where the person who produced the survey works.  I'm tempted to call in and discuss gambling with him, the real world, not the fantasy world in which he lives.  It would be interesting to learn what he knows about the subject.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 17:25
What do you think are the aims or purpose of the survey, Kinscem?

What questions would you have liked to or expected to have seen in there?
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 17:35
The fact that this question "How much time do you spend on typical gambling session?" upsets you, worries me.

Cleary this is a broad-based catch-all survey designed to include poker players as well as sports bettors.  This question applies directly to them, if not you.  It is not included to irritate or deliberately exclude you.

Were you expecting a tailor-made survey?
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:00
I sent an e-mail to the doctor.  I would like to know what he knows about gambling.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 18:06
Righto.  I think his field of expertise is probably addiction, but hey ho.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:15
Ozymandius
The question "How much time do you spend on typical gambling session?" displays a childish knowledge of gambling.

Last Sunday I played in the $9 million 9th anniversary PokerStars million. It started at 18:30 and I was knocked out at 23:07, 10,554th of 50,432 players shortly after my KK was cracked by QQ in an all-in pre-flop 43,000 pot.  So 4.5 hours?
Today I bet 4 on a race at The Curragh.  It took me 5 minutes to log-in and out.  0.1 hour?
I've invested €400+ in a poker player in the Irish Open this week.  How long is this session?  My time since I met him, my time to decide to bet, my time going to the bank to lodge the money, or the players time in the tournament?  How long?
I've bet €200+ on the US Masters golf and will be more during the week.  How long is this session?  Since I began betting on it on 11th February, or the sum of all the time spent on bets (about 60 tiny bets), or the four days of the event.  How long?

"typical gambling session" does not make sense to me.

The person writing the survey has a fixed idea of someone sitting down at a laptop and gambling continuously at a game of chance until they lose all their money and have regrets.
When I place a bet I have no worries or regrets after.  The worrying is done before the bet.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:16
* Today I bet €4 on a race at The Curragh Cool
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:18
Just to amuse readers these are the last lines of my e-mail .....................

"The problem is losing, also called bad gambling.
Problem gamblers in my experience do not research, do not specialize.

The market makers take a percentage.  The gamblers compete for 100% minus that percentage.

If someone wants to gamble they need to do a few things
1. bet where the market maker percentage is small
2. bet where there is skill/knowledge not chance
3. have more skill/knowledge than the other gamblers

My guess is you are trying to stop bad gamblers from gambling, and not trying to improve their gambling.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 18:20
Its impossible to deliver precise tailored questions in a catch all survey

You would, for example have been able to give a guesstimate to this question, if you were  say, exclusively, a poker player.

Otherwise, its almost impossible to answer, don't fret, simply move onto the next question which may be more applicable.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 18:21

By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 18:30
You do realise that successful gamblers can also be classed as addicts?

Helping a losing gambler to win may help him financially but does not deal with his addiction, which can be damaging to  other aspects of his life.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:42
Ozymandius

Do you specialize in one or more sports or events?
What is your skill/knowledge over the other players in this market?
How much research do you do before each gambling event?
How many years have you spent researching the sport/event?
What resources do you have/use for research? (e.g. books, websites, DVDs, training)
How many factors do you analyse?
Do you analyse all competitors in an event?  Do you research all competitors equally?
Do you research the event after the event is over to see if you can learn from the result?
Is any of your research unique to you / not possessed by others?
By:
workrider
When: 29 Mar 15 18:42
Ozy on a roll , you love asking questions , yet clam up when asked one yourself ..I asked you yesterday if you agreed with the protest against the Norths home match ..Do you agree or like most on here think its a little outdated and time the PROTESTANT RELIGION came to grips with modern day sports people...?
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:43
* What is your skill/knowledge advantage over the other players in this market?
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:47
I know a poker pro who starts at around 20:00 and ends around 06:00.
If he was a losing player the survey person would say he is a compulsive gambler.
But he is a winner so is of no interest to those who make a living from helping losers.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 18:59
Ozymandius
Helping a losing gambler to win may help him financially but does not deal with his addiction, which can be damaging to  other aspects of his life.

I like sports and gambling.  Others might see that as damaging my life as I spend some time at that, and not watching Eastenders, X-factor, sunbathing, Facebook, Twitter, or getting falling-down drunk.
My interests are not confined to betting.  I only bet on major events.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 19:50
Your (excellent) questions would be ideal if the premise of the survey  was to disingush between the habits of successful gamblers and unsuccessful gamblers.  It doesn't set out to do that imo.

Its aim is to ask basic questions in order to begin improve the empirical understanding of gambling habits in Ireland, ie what people gamble on, how, and to also to begin to examine basic stimulii, motivations and emotional repsonses to sid gambling.  It's already quite lengthy, no real possibilty to cover more ground or to move on to some of the more advanced topics you would like to see examined.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 19:58
...if you make it too long people give up and don't complete it.
By:
workrider
When: 29 Mar 15 20:46
Well Ozy , you seem to have gone all quiet re that Protestant question , are you one of those who love to preach about the evils of the Catholic Church yet fail to see the failings of other Churches ..Do you agree with the march or not , if no reply then I'll take it as a yes ...
By:
Ozymandius
When: 29 Mar 15 21:00
Sorry Wonks, I give precedence to question that are relevant to the topic at hand.

This is yet another tiresome effort by you introduce a divisive, irrelevant and incendiary topic to a perfectly civil conversation relevant to sports gambling.

I refer you to my answer to this question at 17.11 on a thread started by Kelly yesterday, Look it up if my views on the topic interest you so.
By:
workrider
When: 29 Mar 15 21:08
Typical of you , all you say is you'd play away ...You are obviously AFRAID to commit , sadly all it tells us is that you are a mouthpiece who hides behind the Protestant Church ...
By:
boxingthefox
When: 29 Mar 15 22:08
Sorry to intrude reb, workrider, hows it going, are you well and winning, I emailed you just after crimbo, have you changed your address?.
By:
workrider
When: 29 Mar 15 22:12
Yes boxingthefox , If you pm me I'll give it to you , was talking to Frank today ,his health is a lot better...The sod took a few bob off me into the bargain...Sad
By:
workrider
When: 29 Mar 15 22:39
Boxingthefox ,pm you there , off to bed a long day , night and God bless...
By:
boxingthefox
When: 29 Mar 15 22:49
Cheers workrider, reply sent.
By:
kincsem
When: 29 Mar 15 23:31
My e-mail to the contact e-mail on the gambling survey failed to deliver (see below)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

contact@gamblingsurvey.ie
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO::
    host smtp1r.cp.blacknight.com [81.17.254.9]: 553 sorry, that address is not in my list of allowed recipients; no valid cert for gatewaying (#5.7.1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was it a survey or was it something else?
By:
lapsy pa
When: 30 Mar 15 12:30
^ Not sure what to make of that Kinscem being technically ignorant,surely it couldn't be anything else as no "real" information was given.It seems odd though you cannot contact them.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 30 Mar 15 12:50
This is the head man, handsome devil he is too;

http://www.drcolinogara.com/

Tel: 01 277 1519

He works at, ahem, St John Of Gods and UCD.

enquiries@sjoghospital.ie
school.medicine@ucd.ie

https://ie.linkedin.com/pub/colin-o-gara/59/348/138

Very easy to track down and contact

#sharpminds
By:
kincsem
When: 31 Mar 15 01:26
Thanks for the link.  My guess is it costs plenty to speak to him.
I finished 46th of 3195 in a $11 PokerStars tourney tonight so I am going to lose it all in other tourneys just to fit the public perception of idiot gamblers.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 31 Mar 15 10:32
Get over yourself. 

Naturally, we are all winnners on here, that's well established, though not all feel diminished,threatened or insulted by a harmless survey.  Some even applaud the efforts of those trying to help those with gambling addiction problems.

If you have an issue with what he is trying to do, even in light of all the points raised above, contact the man.  I doubt he will charge you for sending him a letter or an email but if he does I am sure a high roller like yourself is more than capable of absorbing the cost.
By:
pa lapsy
When: 31 Mar 15 12:04
You are very harsh there Oz,i don't think for a second Kinscem feels a bit insulted or threatened or anything else from that survey,he is just saying it as he found it ie slanted towards very probably "arcade" compulsives which i think it was as well.
Very probably didn't give the good doctor the answers he wanted to hear myself,like form study,i do spend a lot of time with it,no regrets as it is a hobby as such and prefer to take the positives out of that.
Maxheadroom's point he took out of the survey that a profit/loss should be prominently displayed on an account is a great point as there is no chance of anyone fooling themselves.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 31 Mar 15 12:28
i don't think for a second Kinscem feels a bit insulted or threatened or anything else

Really?  In his very first post he tells Reb to f**k off, hardly a balanced reply.  He highlighted one question, which because it wasn't specifically tailored to him he found hugely offensive.  He was unable to answer the basic question as to what were the aims or purpose of the study (this would have been a very useful exercise).  Then when the email didn't work, paranoia set in.

Not to mention the absurd notion he put to the 'good Doctor' suggesting that the cure for Addiction was to turn bad gamblers into better gamblers.  He clearly has little or no understanding of the core issue here; addiction.

Very probably didn't give the good doctor the answers he wanted to hear  FFS.  You make out the doctor to be some sort of simpleton.  I am sure he is more than aware that not all Gamblers have addiction problems.

Heaven help us all.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com