Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mrcombustible
18 Mar 15 22:14
| Topic/replies: 3,348 | Blogger: mrcombustible's blog
Racing pundit and Grand National winning trainer Ted Walsh says he is prepared to answer any questions the Irish Turf Club has after an inquiry into Foxrock's run at Punchestown in December was reopened.

Foxrock, who is owned by businessman and well-known horse enthusiast Barry Connell, finished third in the race behind Henry De Bromhead's Grand Jesture.

Walsh and jockey Adrian Heskin attracted the attention of the stewards when Foxrock finished third at the track, with officials accepting the seven-year-old had finished slightly lame and lost both front shoes during the course of the race, although they banned Heskin for not reporting the issues in the first instance.

Heskin has explained to Walsh that he wasn't pleased with how his horse had moved in the second half of the race and as the horse returned to the stable yard, Walsh noticed that both the horses front shoes were missing.

The stewards received a report from The Turf Club veterinary officer who stated that Foxrock had pulled off both his front shoes in running and was slightly lame post-race.

The Turf Club has reopened the enquiry after new video evidence emerged. It is understood that the camera evidence located at the parade ring in Punchestown show Foxrock wearing both front shoes after the race.

The Turf Club’s Referrals Committee is scheduled to meet with all the relevant parties on April 2 and Ted Walsh told the Irish Times that he is prepared to answer any question.

“Obviously they’re not happy with whatever happened on that day and they’re reopening the enquiry,” the Kill, Co Kildare based trainer said. “I’ll be there at the enquiry to answer any questions they want.”

Foxrock delivered one of Walsh biggest recent successes when he won the **** Handicap Chase at Leopardstown in January.

Afterwards the horse was runner-up to Carlingford Lough in the Grade One Hennessy Gold Cup and was supplemented for the Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham last week where he finished last of the 12 runners behind Tony McCoy's Uxizandre.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 83
By:
kincsem
When: 19 Mar 15 11:41
Cinderella-gate Laugh
By:
neill d
When: 19 Mar 15 14:25
Probably Danny Mullins, and he'd be right!!
By:
maxheadroom
When: 20 Mar 15 13:46
"The Turf Club veterinary officer who stated that Foxrock had pulled off both his front shoes in running and was slightly lame post-race.Laugh" amazing how the racing mafia always stick together. didnt a vet at bangor in the uk recently have his evidence ignored regarding a non trier. if guilty i hope they ban all the walshes all from every racecourse in ireland.
By:
workrider
When: 20 Mar 15 15:12
It certainly needs addressing , contridictory evidence from the vet is something that could open a can of worms , why say it lost both shoes if it didn't , was he asked to say that I wonder , hardly something you would make up now is it...Await developments with bated breath...
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 20 Mar 15 15:17
Ted's a wrong un, who'd have guessed Devil
By:
tobywong.
When: 20 Mar 15 15:58
rumours of a certain sponsor shaking up the can of worms Confused
By:
workrider
When: 20 Mar 15 16:39
Toby , any hints...?
By:
tobywong.
When: 20 Mar 15 16:45
pm sent wonks
By:
workrider
When: 20 Mar 15 16:59
Replied  , thanks...
By:
mrcombustible
When: 20 Mar 15 21:52
Wetherbys Ireland were the sponsor of the race in question?
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 20 Mar 15 22:38
This case has shifted completely,in the first instance the horse Foxrock was looking at a ban,now the trainer is looking at a ban some shift.
By:
mrcombustible
When: 21 Mar 15 08:58
WMB I will believe it when it happens.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 21 Mar 15 10:24
He is in some bother.
He declared the horse clipped heels,that didnt happen,he claimed the horse lost his two front shoes yet he complainant has produced a video showing the horse returning to the parade ring with both shoes on.

He may well get away with it but its still interesting.

I must be one of he few that really like the Walsh family.

Ted is knowledgeable,likeable and a good commentator.
Ruby is the best jockey I've e ver seen and is a great judge.
Katie is a honey and another brilliant rider,that iconic photo of her is one of the sweetest I've ever seen.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 21 Mar 15 10:39
One thing is for sure, no matter what the result of this and i believe it will be swept under the carpet, the obnoxious Walsh and family will be back on RTE in time for Fairyhouse and Punchestown.
By:
by purpose
When: 21 Mar 15 11:49
Owner took the high ground in the Fenton case.Wonder what his slant is in this one?
By:
TellTheKing
When: 21 Mar 15 12:33
Widman you will go a long way to find anyone who doesn't respect the Walsh for what they have collectively achieved in racing. No-one doubts their abilities or knowledge. However, that doesn't necessarily equate to liking them. Ted is past his sell by date in terms of racing coverage though he throws out the odd decent quip. Never met Ruby but the overwhelming majority of people I know who have dealt with him find him a dislikable smart arse who isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is. Greatest rider to grace the jumps game though.

The evidence must be damning to the eye given it forced the hand of the authorities to act. It's odds on some kind of fudge conclusion will be reached.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 21 Mar 15 13:33
All it needs now is some unconnected barrister
By:
neill d
When: 21 Mar 15 14:01
Yeah, difference between being loved and respected. They'll fudge it is right, just put out something that what Ted said wasn't transcribed properly or whatever.
By:
neill d
When: 21 Mar 15 14:02
Nothing worse than a guy who is always tapping cigarettes in the smoking area.
By:
TellTheKing
When: 18 Apr 15 21:28
Turf Club reserve judgement on running of Ted Walsh-trained Foxrock
‘A volume of evidence to consider’ after 19 witnesses called to day-long hearing

The Turf Club has reserved judgement after a day-long hearing into the running of the Ted Walsh-trained Foxrock at Punchestown in December.
The hearing concluded at 7.45pm on Saturday evening after evidence was heard throughout the day at Turf Club headquarters at the Curragh.
Trainer Walsh and rider Adrian Heskin were originally interviewed following the race, in which Foxrock finished third, with the local stewards hearing from the on-course veterinary officer that the horse had lost both front shoes during the race.
The only action taken was to suspend Heskin for one day for failing to report the matter.
Fresh video evidence subsequently became available to the regulating body, prompting the reopening of the inquiry in front of the Turf Club’s Referrals Committee.
The hearing started at 10am, with Grand National-winning trainer Walsh, who was represented by former attorney general and minister for justice Michael McDowell, giving evidence for around an hour and 20 minutes.
Trainers Aidan O’Brien and Willie Mullins were among the expert witnesses called, together with several vets and farriers.
After the hearing finished Turf Club chief executive Denis Egan said: “There were 19 witnesses called, seven from the Turf Club and 12 from the other side. There were two inquiries, the original race and post-race.
“Judgement was reserved and will be communicated in writing to both parties.
“There is a volume of evidence to consider.”

Ted went in all guns blazing and with the cheque book open.
By:
mrcombustible
When: 18 Apr 15 21:40
Ted had McDowell representing him. Sounds like he called his sons employer as an expert witness along with AOB.
By:
mrcombustible
When: 18 Apr 15 21:44
Willie and Aidan could be experts in dementia and say that Ted is in an advanced stage and therefore like Lord Janner not fit to stand trial.

Bit like Tom Queally who when caught drink driving claims on appeal that it is sleep driving.
By:
keen leader
When: 18 Apr 15 22:51
this is without doubt a show down of sorts. given the 19 witnesses and legal heavyweights involved something certainly smells in the state of Denmark.

here is the official wording of the original enquiry

"The Stewards enquired into the running and riding of Foxrock, placed third, ridden by A.P. Heskin, and trained by T.M. Walsh. Evidence was heard from the rider and trainer concerned.

A.P. Heskin, stated that his instructions were to jump his mount off 5th or 6th, give him space at his fences, get into a good rhythm and do his best from there. He said early on the race was developing as he planned but after passing the stands, he clipped a heel, stumbled badly and lost his action and from there on he wasn't entirely happy with his mount, with him being behind the bridle from down the back straight. He said from about 4 out he was riding as strong as he could bearing in mind he wasn't entirely happy with how he was moving.

T.M. Walsh confirmed the instructions and stated that watching the race live he felt his rider could've been a bit more forceful between 3 out and 2 out, and he could've used his whip at this stage. However his rider explained on dismounting how he wasn't entirely happy with how the horse moved in the second half of the race and as the horse returned to the stable yard, Mr Walsh noticed that his front shoes were missing, and at this stage his riders report made sense and he was satisfied with the ride.

The Stewards also received a report from the Turf Club Veterinary Officer who stated that Foxrock had pulled off both his front shoes in running and was slightly lame post race.

Having viewed the recording of the race and considered the evidence, the Stewards noted the explanations offered by both rider and trainer, but were of the opinion A.P. Heskin was in breach of Rule 213 in that he failed to report in the first instance something that may have affected the running of his mount, and having taken his record into account, they suspended him for 1 raceday."

according to the above....ted noticed the 2 front shoes were missing when he looked at the horse in the stable yard...plus the turf club vet stated Foxrock had pulled off 2 front shoes(...though he does not mention where he examined the horse, or offer a view as to when the offending shoes lost their hooves".

todays re-opened case we are led to believe was based upon photographic evidence that the horse had said shoes intact some time soon after the race.

one assumes there are a few angles of approach.....if the evidence has us to believe that Foxrock shed the shoes between leaving the un-saddling area and his return to  the stables......the option are...1--the horse merely by accident lost them between the two areas, plausible if rare...2---someone not so accidentally whipped them off.

as very very few people would have been on the actual scene, convicting on 2 would seem near impossible.

one ponders as to why this particular case was re-opened?
where did the new evidence come from, an inside turf club source or an ordinary joe soap?
with 19 witnesses, and a 3 week deferral indicates that there was a whole lot more to this case than meets the eye.

most punters and pundits are critical of the blind eye approach of the stewards and their stipe helpers oncourse, with far too many non jiggers ignored. I would be surprised if little more than waffle is the outcome of this referral. If so that I believe will be bad for the game, because it will be seen as trainers and wealthy owners putting the turf club and their investigators back in their box.

one thing for certain is that this case might major on personality incompatibilities putting it kindly.
By:
tocky junior
When: 18 Apr 15 23:01
2 eye witnesses one turf club one a staff member for another trainer are supposed to be giving evidence that they saw ted pull off the shoes.....dont no if this is true....may b another rumor
By:
TellTheKing
When: 18 Apr 15 23:08
To add even more intrigue I understand that the racecourse farrier on the day is also Ted's regular farrier.
By:
tocky junior
When: 18 Apr 15 23:14
Id say they ll have some job to do him....h
By:
tocky junior
By:
tocky junior
By:
tocky junior
By:
tocky junior
When: 18 Apr 15 23:15
he is t
By:
tocky junior
he is t
By:
tocky junior
he is t
By:
tocky junior
When: 18 Apr 15 23:17
He is taking no chances...interesting to see what story he came up with....AOB some wildcard
By:
TellTheKing
When: 18 Apr 15 23:19
Obviously playing the Jesus Card.

The whole world knows what happened but proving it is another thing.
By:
BigRob1
When: 19 Apr 15 00:47
Cant imagine the Walsh's egos are taking this sort of questioning well Whoops
By:
mitch leary
When: 19 Apr 15 09:06
You wouldn't get McDowell for a tenner an hour. I have experience of a senior counsel charging 300 per hr just for reading a brief.
Can't imagine what McDowell would charge for the hearing. Also Mullins and o Brien giving up a Saturday to come to teds aid.
I read the above to the Mrs who's not mad into racing and she said ted must be bricking it.
By:
mrcombustible
When: 19 Apr 15 17:59
300 an hour is cheap for a senior counsel. I would guess 500 to 600 an hour for preparation and anything up to 10,000 for yesterdays hearing
By:
Roger De Bris
When: 19 Apr 15 18:44
Poor oul teddy bear....
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 19 Apr 15 19:16
30k Circus minimum - Cinderella-gate
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page