Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
newapproach
13 Dec 14 13:46
| Topic/replies: 1,491 | Blogger: newapproach's blog
I've haven't heard a more disgraceful performance from a government minister on the national airwaves in a long time.

Arrogant, self-important, pompous, egotistical, smug and pretentious.

It's amazing how these people's perception of themselves changes once they get their ministerial merc. Is this guy really supposed to be the saviour of Ireland's working class.
Pause Switch to Standard View Aodhan O Riordan Radio 1 now
Show More
Report luckyme December 13, 2014 3:23 PM GMT
New
they will be paid back in spades at the next election, they sold the working class out in the last coalition and they had the balls to do it again this time.

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
Report richters December 13, 2014 9:32 PM GMT
subhuman scum....minister of state with specialities in equality, new communities and culture.....your aving a larf arnt ye aidan,good enough for the sheep that voted the current mob of financial terrorists into government
Report freddiek December 13, 2014 9:51 PM GMT
wildman post removed. though it was mild enough
Report newapproach December 13, 2014 10:40 PM GMT
It was very surprising to see Joan Burton promoting the likes of him and Ivana Bacik, I thought she would have more sense than that. These people have and agenda to bring in abortion and gay marriage and god only knows what else.

It is very disturbing to think what the country will be like in 20 or 30 years time with people with such dangerous views. I never thought I would ever say this, but god be with the days of Pat Rabbitte.
Report richters December 13, 2014 11:10 PM GMT
good oul pat rabbitte and his stickie buddies,some addition to anyone.....
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 10:23 AM GMT
These people have and agenda to bring in abortion and gay marriage and god only knows what else.

What, you mean like the rest of the civillised world?  The way you talk it is as if a meterorite is heading our way.
Report workrider December 14, 2014 5:13 PM GMT
Rest of what world Norma , most of the worlds governments excluding Europe ,have NOT bowed to GAY pressure , try holding your boyfriends hand walking down a street in the Arab  world and see how long you last mate ...
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 5:23 PM GMT
I don't have a clue what is on the way, that is the issue. When the civil partnership bill was brought in, it was labbelled a great day by the liberals. Straight away after, they were no longer happy and gay marriage was the next aim. The same can be said of the protection of life during preganancy bill.

When the protection of life during preganancy bill was introduced, Ivana Bacik was quoted as saying 'I am very proud to have been one of the leading advocates for the bill to implement the X case test on abortion. Now that the legislation has finally been passed as of July 2013,we have at last put in place a statutory framework to protect women whose lives may be threatened by the continuation of their pregnancy'. Not long after, she changed her tune completely and said 'The drafters and supporters of The Eighth Amendment should be ashamed'. She went onto call for full abortion on demand.

It is because of issues like these that I made the comment which you have quoted above. Are gay marriage and abortion the end of the line or are there even more ghastly developments to fear afterwards.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 5:33 PM GMT
what is ghastly about giving people the freedom of choice?  Is that not the very essence of progress?
Report freddiek December 14, 2014 5:45 PM GMT
i wonder are some of the parents of the kids this fella taught at national school level concerned in light of his admissions??

in his capacity as an educator he was in a position to warp their minds by forcing the homosexual agenda onto them.
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 5:47 PM GMT
Offering people the choice to vote on an issue and then using propaganda and bullying to make sure the vote goes your way is not choice at all. The way this debate is being framed now, anyone who disagrees with gay marriage is a homophope. You even called workrider a homophope on another thread but I don't think you really believe that, it's just the default position for people who support that side of the argument.

Look at the disgraceful treatment of John Waters by the gay lobby and national media. He was brave enough to take the unpopular side f the argument. He was labelled a homophope on national television, he lost his job and was nearly forced out of the country. Where was his freedom of choice.

The same can be said of the brave gay men who stood up and said they disagreed with gay marriage. Unfortunately, I can't remember their names but one was on the late late show with George Hook and the other was on Vincent Browne. These people were labelled self hating homophobes just because they went against the staus quo. That doesn't sound like freedom of choice to me.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:05 PM GMT
If people want to chose, for example, an abortion, they should be allowed have an abortion.  Their choices should not be dictated to or limited by Catholic doctrine.  Frankly, its absurd.
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 6:13 PM GMT
I'm sure you'll agree there are some issues which people should'nt be offered a choice on, paedophilia for example. There are 200,000 abortions in Britain every year. That is a frightening figure and one that surely can't sit well with any human being.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:17 PM GMT
where is John Waters freedom of choice??????  You seriously need to ask that question?...well he can choose whether or not to have a gay marriage.... the choice is his. Complete freedom of choice.

Ditto the gay men who are against gay marriage...they don't have to have one..unless they want....its not compulsary......why  earth do you ask where is their freedom of choice?

Honestly.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:19 PM GMT
Why are 200,000 abortions a year a frightening figure?  Why? Frightening from what point of view, exactly?
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 6:21 PM GMT
Their freedom of choice to have an particular opinion on this issue and not be labelled a homophobe on national television or risk losing their job or being ostracised from society.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:22 PM GMT
Frightening for a boy from Crossmaglen, perhaps, indoctrinated from a young age and incapable of independent thought?

Was in Maynooth you 'studied' in?
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:24 PM GMT
They have freedom of choice.  How people react to their opinions does not affect their freedom to choose.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:26 PM GMT
And as for Wonks not being a Homophobe...give me strength!  Were you not around when the subject of one of his grandchildren being gay was raised???
Report dj876 December 14, 2014 6:26 PM GMT
I would be very interested in politics and current affairs in general but this topic would not ignite even the slightest bit of interest and I am not sure why one would be so upset about gay people being allowed to marry,would the people that object to them being allowed to marry be indifferent to them being together ?

How can one credibly say that this is the thin end of the wedge but can then not offer even one possible awful outcome that could follow on from this,surely this is scaremongering ?

It is credible for example to say that once an initial tax and the collection process is registered that this will lead to an increased burden in the future but what possible consequence is going to follow through after gay marriage??

Surely people have learned from allowing the catholic church to be society's moral guardians,after decades of institutional abuse of children,they are still reneging on their debt (overly generous deal bu still defaulting) to the Irish state despite having billions of commercial property as listed assets including prime assets in London with Investment banks as their tenants.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:28 PM GMT
Tidings of Comfort and Joy, dj, I trust the Festive Season finds you in fine fettle?
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 6:32 PM GMT
The killing of any unborn baby is frightening let alone 200,000 in one country. Not to mention the mental anguish that this puts on the person who undergoes the abortion.

By attacking people for having a certain view, you are not encouraging debate, it is just an exercise in bullying people in order to get your own way.
I don't have a clue what you are going on about in your post @ 18.22. You might care to enlighten us?
Report workrider December 14, 2014 6:35 PM GMT
Norma , what are you on about one of my Grandchildren been gay , my friend you are overstepping the mark AGAIN ..You are one sick weirdo , and I'll expect only an ape like you will bring CHILDREN into your sick world ...
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:39 PM GMT
It was rumoured a couple of years ago on here that one of your grandsons was a fruit, Wonks.  It may or may not have been true, but you could even bring yourself to consider it.  You were hugely upset, I cannot believe you have forgotten?
Report neill d December 14, 2014 6:40 PM GMT
Some people wouldn't have faith in their own ability to care for a child and would neither be inclined to entrust the state to do it. I don't know anything much about parenting but it must be a universal truth that people who don't want kids shouldn't have them. Only my opinion, but in life, there are worse things than death.

Seeing Primetime the other night and remembering the Lees Cross thing from a few years ago, I wouldn't give them my pet budgie, because giving away is the only alternative to abortion after all if you are not fit. That thing on Monday was some of the most upsetting things I have ever seen on television.
Report neill d December 14, 2014 6:41 PM GMT
one of*
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 6:41 PM GMT
I'm more upset about the way pro gay marriage groups have conducted throughout the debate on the issue dj. They have stifled debate and attemptd to discredit anyone who disagrees with them by labelling them homophobes. I find that very concerning in what is supposed a progressive democracy.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:41 PM GMT
18.22 newapproach, your 'thinking' seems to have been conditioned by your religion.

As dj points out; Surely people have learned from allowing the catholic church to be society's moral guardians
Report dj876 December 14, 2014 6:46 PM GMT
Newapproach,

So you just object to them being allowed to marry but are indifferent to them being together or showing any public displays of affection ?

"It is because of issues like these that I made the comment which you have quoted above. Are gay marriage and abortion the end of the line or are there even more ghastly developments to fear afterwards"

Could you provide a possible example of any future ghastly developments that could possibly ensue from gay marriage being permitted?
Report richters December 14, 2014 6:51 PM GMT
back with the tail between his legs I see
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 6:52 PM GMT
I was brought up in a catholic house but not a devout one. I wasn't dragged to mass every week by my parents, they instead gave the me the freedom to choose my own beliefs. The fact that I now have decided to attend mass occasionally is as a result of that, I believe.

I certainly wasn't conditioned or brainwashed by any religion or organisation. The opinions and beliefs I have are as a result of independent thought and opinion. I pick and choose the parts of catholicism that I agree with and leave out the parts I disagree with. You on the other hand are a cardboard cut out left wing liberal. You are tho one who must have been brainwashed at some point in time.

I don't know where the mention of Crossmaglen or Maynooth has come from, I have never been in either place, as lovely as they probably are.
Report freddiek December 14, 2014 6:54 PM GMT
Ozy adopts the O'Riordain tactic of demonising those who come from certain parts of the country (O'Riordain has it in for Monaghan people)

as if their view-point was less valid than those of liberal Dublin chattering classes.
Report neill d December 14, 2014 6:56 PM GMT
I imagine the thinking against gay marriage would be that the institution of marriage between a man and woman presently holds a very special position with connotations family and having children.

I suppose that they'd reckon that allowing gays and lesbians to have similar status would undermine or even trivialise marriage leading to it becoming a bit of a throw-away.

If it becomes a throw-away, than families will break up more easily which would lead to social decay.

I've never read any anti-gay marriage material but that is how I would come at it.

On another note, with clubs and societies, when you let everyone in, they tend to lose their appeal/cachet. Gay marriage/abortion is a handy way for the churchj to martial the troops.

That is just my pretty ignorant/un-PC take on things.
Report workrider December 14, 2014 6:57 PM GMT
OZY  you have overstepped the mark here ,  and I'll have you know this is one time I wont forget you sick **** , None of my grandchildren are over the age of ten and well you know it , anyone on here who has anytime for you will be sickened by by your insinuations against these children , and if you don't produce evidence of this thread within a day , and you are the one who brought it up , I will sue you for defamation of my grandchildren ...
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 6:58 PM GMT
I'm not even left wing!  Firmly right of centre!

As regards me being brainwashed, I am not the one trying to force my personal choices or beliefs on society.  I believe in freedom of choice.  If certain people, want to abort, who am I to tell them their choice is wrong?  Ditto gay marriage.

Are you going to answer djs question?
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 7:03 PM GMT
I have already stated I don't know what is coming down the road so I am only guessing really. One possible outcoming might be the liberalising of paedophilia laws. In Britain, well known liberals like Hariet Harmen and Jack Dromey were connected to the paedophile information exchange through the National Council for Civil Liberties. This has been discussed in great detail already by Wildmanfromborneo on here is very concerning to say the least. This is an organisation which campaigned for the age of consent to be lowered to 10 years old.

David Norris, the self titled leading gay rights activist in this country wrote to the Israeli government asking for leniancy for a paeodophile on trial over there. He also said that Cathal O searchaigh was treated harshly eventhough there was strong evidence that he had sex with youg boys in Nepal. He was also taped in conversation with a journalist that young boys having sex with old men was a good education process as seen in greek philosophy.

I stress that I am not condemning ordinary gay people by these accusations but these are leading lights within gay lobby groups who have made some very concerning comments in relation to paedophilia.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:03 PM GMT
I will sue you for defamation of my grandchildren

I am crawling on the floor here laughing, funniest thing I have ever read on here!  And new approach thiks you are not a omophobe!

Was it your son that was gay, then Wonks, I thought it was your grandson  Sometimes you can have an inkling even if they are under 10 (nature not nurture and all that).
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 7:04 PM GMT
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughwonks!!!
Report neill d December 14, 2014 7:09 PM GMT
I wouldn't conflate the Gay Marriage movement with that seeking to legalise paedophilia, if there is a cross-over, the subset would be so small so as that it could be dismissed as the .01% of really bad apples that you'd get in any barrel.
Report freddiek December 14, 2014 7:10 PM GMT
its about as pathetic as you can get to make crude insinuations about a child member of someone's family. You wouldn't dream of saying it to Workrider's face or anyone's for that matter.

Creep.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:12 PM GMT
newapproach, as a learned man, have you looked into the academic research linking paedophelia to homsexuality?

Your fear, seems to suggest, that you believe there is a link?
Report workrider December 14, 2014 7:17 PM GMT
Freddiek I think another forum member hit the nail on the head when he spoke about him and paedophilia ,and his need to see children in a sexual way ..One sick monster ,and his mate Tobywong looks as if it appeals to him as well ,sick ****s the both of them ,playing with the idea , as he puts it of a ten year old with sexual feelings , he seems to know a lot about this kind of thing , maybe the poster was right all along...
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:20 PM GMT
I cant be the only one who remembers the discussion about the sexuality of Wonky's offspring?
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 7:22 PM GMT
I wouldn't link ordinary gay people to paedophilia but if some of the leading activists in the lobby group would support something so horrible, I don't know what other kinds of intentions or beliefs they might have also. I put this forward as one possibility but I have already stated I don't know whether gay marriage is the end of the line or not.

I disagree with two men or two women being together or showing any public displays of affection but I am not bothered by it because it is legal and it is harming nobody. Personally I think it is unnatural but it is legal and I just take the view 'blame the sin not the sinner'.

I have not done any research on the topic ozy and nor have I any intention of doing so. I have mentioned some brief connections but I don't know the intentions of these liberals and nor does anybody else. Only they know the answer to that.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 7:25 PM GMT
I'm laughing at you flying off the handle when you feel free to hassle the aforementioned ozy about his late mother on nearly every thread , now please refrain from labelling me as anything dear wonks, I let it go once before , I may not be as accommodating this time around.
Report workrider December 14, 2014 7:27 PM GMT
Come on mate bring the thread up you sicko , believe you me there is going to be consequences from this outrage , young children must be protected at all costs from the likes of you , never thought I'd hear myself say this ,  but you give gays a bad name ...
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:32 PM GMT
So we have never discussed your reaction to one of your children being gay on here before?  You know well we have.  As I recall, it upset you enormously.

#offthebridle
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:34 PM GMT
Somebody phone the Asylum and see if they have a place available this evening for a familiar inmate.  Breakdown imminent.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 7:37 PM GMT
The guy is insane , needs some kind of medical intervention .
Report workrider December 14, 2014 7:38 PM GMT
You said GRANDCHILDREN , trying to squirm you way out of it now ..What goes on in your head is sickening and anyone having anything to do with you on here should be very careful they are not bracketed along side you ..You are a depraved sub human with a sick interest in children imo..
Report pa lapsy December 14, 2014 7:41 PM GMT
Why is that Tobywong? His tail is getting pulled from every direction,he is a sound fella and ye are a total disgrace to yourselves and the Irish forum.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:45 PM GMT
Wonkks, why not simply say...it was my son not my grandson that the rumours were about...instead of losing your head.

And shure what harm if your grandchildren turn out to be a bit light on their feet?  As long as they are happy ad healthy, I say.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 7:46 PM GMT
Please keep out of it lapsy , it has nothing to do with you , you have no idea of what this guy has said to me on here in the past so I would appreciate if you refrained from childish taking sides, as I said I have no argument with you .
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 7:48 PM GMT
Also , I expressed a smiley at wonks losing the plot over ozy , where did I say anything else in relevance to what wonks is implying ?
Report pa lapsy December 14, 2014 7:51 PM GMT
No Tobywong,i'm not keeping out of it at all,what is being wrote tonight is pure poison,no taking sides as you say, i can't believe what i've been reading,it's dsgraceful.
Report richters December 14, 2014 7:51 PM GMT
in all fairness toby the fantasist ozy has stepped over the mark by bringing workriders grandchildren into the thread I seem to remember he was going to do me all sorts of damage when I suggested that his late mother would be embarrassed if she would of known that he spent 24/7 on here telling lies....
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:54 PM GMT
Dickie, I have been very kind and considerate where you are concerned, I suggest you bear that in mind.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 7:55 PM GMT
ok richters , I accept that !
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 7:57 PM GMT
He brings family into it every day, as you pointed out, Toby and anyway homsexuality in the family is nothing to be ashamed of.  We can learn from each others experiences.
Report richters December 14, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
ozy you are going to have to be more elaborate mate,would I be correct in assuming that your remarks refer to your previous correspondence with me regarding my business twitter account well then my response is as it was then,im not really bothered....I hope this clears this up...
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 8:12 PM GMT
Pa , please tell me where I wrote anything on this thread regarding anyone in wonks family ??? Wonks , I apologise if that is what you understood, I mean no harm to anyone in your family !
Report pa lapsy December 14, 2014 8:20 PM GMT
I should certainly hope not Tobywong,you are calling Workrider insane and needing urgent medical attention,do you honestly think what has been written in posts earlier regarding his family proper? It isn't, he is fuming rightly,crossing boudaries there as you well know.
Always poison from him anyway,usually at WR or Tony,a vile piece.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 8:22 PM GMT
In fairness Pa , his implications that people are paedophiles is a bit below the belt also, would you take that abuse???
Report wildmanfromborneo December 14, 2014 8:28 PM GMT
This is a very unequal fight.

First of all my posts are deleted because my point of view is deemed offensive to the intolerant liberals.
Yet the patently anti Catholic posts of the returning DJ876 are left in their intolerant glory

Ozymandius line of its no insult to accuse a mans grandchildren of being homosexual is typical of liberal intolerance and cowardice as he would never say that to those Imams he keeps championing
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 8:31 PM GMT
Pa, only ever sees one side of it , Toby.
Report pa lapsy December 14, 2014 8:34 PM GMT
Read the thread again Tobywong,at 18.26 ozyomandias made the initial suggestion about his grand children,nothing was said BEFORE that by WR.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 8:35 PM GMT
I speaking about myself Pa !!
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 8:37 PM GMT
Cop on , Pa, he invokes my dead Mother on here a hundred times a day, every day, as Toby has pointed out  No one else does.  As long as he continues with that, he will continue to get it back in spades.  And then some.
Report Ozymandius December 14, 2014 8:38 PM GMT
And have a look at his post of 17.13,,,see what you make of that?
Report pa lapsy December 14, 2014 8:44 PM GMT
Workriders 19.27 reply was to ozymandius 19,20 post,Tobywong full sure it wasn,t at your one above.
Report tobywong. December 14, 2014 8:46 PM GMT
I'm finished here , I have cleared my side up , cheerio !
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 9:48 PM GMT
No harm to bring this thread back to topic. A view by Eamonn Delaney on our enlightened minister for equality, social justice and other such nonsense.

Eamon Delaney: Aodhan is a victim of his own PC crusades

NEWS that Labour TD Aodhan O Riordain has been caught on a sting recording talking freely about liberalising the abortion laws and being derogatory about the views of many rural people (and people in Monaghan, in particular) will not come as surprise to those who have watched closely the progress of this social crusader. He has form, as they say.

A young teacher in Dublin's inner city, he preaches tolerance and liberalism but often ends up sounding censorious and most intolerant of other people's views, as was the case last week on Vincent Browne's TV3 show when his demeanour appeared to drive many neutral viewers, and tweeters, to sympathise with the pro-life views of his opponent Marc Coleman.

O Riordain has a dogmatic PC approach which brooks no quarter and seems to be not in the real world. Hence his description of Monaghan people, many of whom he found to be 'latently homophobic'.

To disagree with O Riordain is to risk being accused of being backward. But his attitude is typical of many in the Labour Party, where politics seems to be more about middle-class liberal sensibilities, and well-bred prejudices, than about actual bread and butter socialism.

Some months ago, for example, O Riordan wrote a piece saying the Dail was unbalanced because it didn't have enough gay, disabled or black people – a rather curious and ambitious priority when the country is economically on its knees.

Before that, O Riordain wanted senior civil servants screened for their religious (ie Catholic) views, but dropped the idea when it was dismissed by his Labour colleagues.

He also sought a criminal prosecution of the former mayor of Athy for his controversial comments about African constituents.

The mayor had already resigned, apologised and was in tears during an newspaper interview. But O Riordain wanted more and went to the garda station himself to press charges!

Enough is not enough for O Riordain. He called for new legislation to replace the 1989 act on the incitement to racial hatred,

even though most experts working in this area felt that the existing legislation was working okay.

It seemed as if O Riordain knew better than the immigrants themselves, what was good for them in terms of legislation.

Likewise, the gay community. He pursues the issues of gay rights and gay marriage in terms which simply do not accept the validity of an opposing view.

And this is the problem with his approach, and the left generally.

Having lost the economic debate, they have taken up such 'social' issues with an almost theological zeal and will not brook any opposition. They also assume that most people automatically share their perspective and so O Riordain felt able to talk freely about liberalising abortion in front of a constituent, as well as make (off the record, he thought) some casual comments about the views held in rural Ireland.

The embarrassment will not be so damaging for O Riordain.

His super-PC fans will praise him and, in fairness, his pro-choice abortion views are already well known.

But his views could be damaging for the Labour Party as it presents itself as middle ground on this issue and only wanting limited X Case legislation.

Having said that, O Riordain is generally a good guy with his heart in the right place.

He is a hands-on politician and, unlike Government TDs, he is not afraid to go and bat on the hard decisions.

Also, he got a plaque laid at the birthplace of the great Johnny Giles, in Ormond Square near the River Liffey, so he must be doing something right!

Irish Independent
Report newapproach December 14, 2014 9:48 PM GMT
No harm to bring this thread back to topic. A view by Eamonn Delaney on our enlightened minister for equality, social justice and other such nonsense.

Eamon Delaney: Aodhan is a victim of his own PC crusades

NEWS that Labour TD Aodhan O Riordain has been caught on a sting recording talking freely about liberalising the abortion laws and being derogatory about the views of many rural people (and people in Monaghan, in particular) will not come as surprise to those who have watched closely the progress of this social crusader. He has form, as they say.

A young teacher in Dublin's inner city, he preaches tolerance and liberalism but often ends up sounding censorious and most intolerant of other people's views, as was the case last week on Vincent Browne's TV3 show when his demeanour appeared to drive many neutral viewers, and tweeters, to sympathise with the pro-life views of his opponent Marc Coleman.

O Riordain has a dogmatic PC approach which brooks no quarter and seems to be not in the real world. Hence his description of Monaghan people, many of whom he found to be 'latently homophobic'.

To disagree with O Riordain is to risk being accused of being backward. But his attitude is typical of many in the Labour Party, where politics seems to be more about middle-class liberal sensibilities, and well-bred prejudices, than about actual bread and butter socialism.

Some months ago, for example, O Riordan wrote a piece saying the Dail was unbalanced because it didn't have enough gay, disabled or black people – a rather curious and ambitious priority when the country is economically on its knees.

Before that, O Riordain wanted senior civil servants screened for their religious (ie Catholic) views, but dropped the idea when it was dismissed by his Labour colleagues.

He also sought a criminal prosecution of the former mayor of Athy for his controversial comments about African constituents.

The mayor had already resigned, apologised and was in tears during an newspaper interview. But O Riordain wanted more and went to the garda station himself to press charges!

Enough is not enough for O Riordain. He called for new legislation to replace the 1989 act on the incitement to racial hatred,

even though most experts working in this area felt that the existing legislation was working okay.

It seemed as if O Riordain knew better than the immigrants themselves, what was good for them in terms of legislation.

Likewise, the gay community. He pursues the issues of gay rights and gay marriage in terms which simply do not accept the validity of an opposing view.

And this is the problem with his approach, and the left generally.

Having lost the economic debate, they have taken up such 'social' issues with an almost theological zeal and will not brook any opposition. They also assume that most people automatically share their perspective and so O Riordain felt able to talk freely about liberalising abortion in front of a constituent, as well as make (off the record, he thought) some casual comments about the views held in rural Ireland.

The embarrassment will not be so damaging for O Riordain.

His super-PC fans will praise him and, in fairness, his pro-choice abortion views are already well known.

But his views could be damaging for the Labour Party as it presents itself as middle ground on this issue and only wanting limited X Case legislation.

Having said that, O Riordain is generally a good guy with his heart in the right place.

He is a hands-on politician and, unlike Government TDs, he is not afraid to go and bat on the hard decisions.

Also, he got a plaque laid at the birthplace of the great Johnny Giles, in Ormond Square near the River Liffey, so he must be doing something right!

Irish Independent
Report freddiek December 14, 2014 9:51 PM GMT
'  intolerant of other people's views '

key quote from that article. no wonder one or two posters are defending O'Riordain.
Report huddys December 14, 2014 10:40 PM GMT
Don't usually get involved with any of the in fighting,but I have to say what you have come out and said oz is shameful,you should really get out more instead of spending all your time on the forum,you are a sick man,
Report kingrat December 14, 2014 11:07 PM GMT
oh be the hokey!

gunfight at the ok corral and poor auld wonks didn't even get the gun clear of the holster.Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com