Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
paulie wallnuts
19 Sep 14 20:18
| Topic/replies: 3,239 | Blogger: paulie wallnuts's blog
Maybe Wildman or anybody else could verify what happened......as what I have  is second hand although I would say its very close to being accurate.....
Apparently two bookies almost came to blows.....authorities had to be called to pacify the situation......one of the parties had a special needs chap fronting the operation.....and the other party seemed to take umbrage over possible encroachment......

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 107
By:
The Gotchee
When: 20 Sep 14 07:37
More bar stool shoyte talk from the Hilda Ogden of the forum.
By:
jadesdillemma
When: 20 Sep 14 10:30
paulie is right an incident did happen between jim desmond firm n garret murphy of the betting king stroke queen fame
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 20 Sep 14 20:32
Thank you jadesdillemma for filling in the blanks....much appreciated....
Gobshee.....ya should know by now that i dont make up stuff.....i dont do fantasy like yourself......i dont come on telling people that im a winning punter and that my record in 2014 is impeccable.....forgetting to mention that you only counted the one winner out of about 180 each way losers.....
Its bad enough that your selections arent worth two bob.....but when you dont even back them yourself.....then why in gods name do you think others will.....
Only the other day you put up 3 horses all of which were ew and all of which were for 1pt ew......one of the horses by some miracle finished 2nd and the other two were tailed off as usual.....the placed horse was 9/1 and it was a quarter of the odds so in effect you would have lost 2.75 pts on the three wagers.....you came on here after the racing was over saying that you lost 4.2 pts......so it makes me think that you had no bet at all.....because firstly you were unaware that the winning ew wasnt 1/5th of the odds....and you didnt even know what you had lost....
By:
The Gotchee
When: 20 Sep 14 22:15
You are obviously hurting because I am clearly in front with my winning selections. Most of us are here to make money and if you follow me you would be clearly in profit. I dont know what your problem is with me, maybe jealously, but that is something you have to learn to deal with. Just for you paulie I am going to give you a couple of e/w good things for tomorrow, I wouldn't usually promote these two selections, but after your recommendation of Australia in the Champion Stakes, I think it is only charitable to help you to get your money back. Hoppsan  and Russian Maria Star tomorrow at Gowran. Get on early because I can see both of these being heavily backed.
By:
Mordin.
When: 20 Sep 14 23:40
Hard to believe Festival finished for another year
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 21 Sep 14 09:05
I do follow you gobshee.....ever since you singlehandedly chased away Stamford bridge.....a poster who had an infinite times more knowledge than yourself.....I made a decision to not alone follow you but haunt you as well....I do want nobody to forget exactly what kind of a yoke you are........
Now as for your tips......thanks but no thanks....not alone are they a load of bollloxx.....but you don't even back them yourself.....
By:
The Gotchee
When: 21 Sep 14 11:20
Seeing that you lost heavily on Australia paulie, I am only trying to help you out. Take the 11/2 about Hoppsan, it will end up half those odds.
The next time you are down in the Poor House (Although I suspect you are there already after last weeks exploits on Australia) tell your buddy Stamford Bridge I was asking for him. He is more than welcome to come back.
By:
easygold
When: 21 Sep 14 12:22
Hi Gotchee, Worried about Russian Maria Star, I backed her @ 9/1, K.Blake tips her@ 9/1 G.O.B tips her @4/1???? e/way????. . Time to trade out, maybe the small owners missed the price???????
By:
The Gotchee
When: 21 Sep 14 12:48
Time to trade out if you got 9s.
Still think Hoppsan is value at 6s. That will be punted for sure.
By:
keen leader
When: 24 Sep 14 08:57
this indeed was a shameful episode....bad enough to be  a "slave" functioning  firm, said operation then deploys a big chunk of lard to block out the neighbour....the neighbour should not have had to act, that is the job of the tax men....alas the ring is being diluted from within by such "slave" firms, not alone operating 2 or 3 pitches, but also putting most of it back into the machine instead of hedging into the ring....with the bookmakers meeting today in Kildare bound to focus on sp and sis, surely the only hope for survival of the independent traders is to stop  this slaving and stand up to the big guns(lads, pp) who want to now control the irish sp through the ring, what started out as an offcourse controlled sp at Dundalk, is now spreading to many other courses, for the benefit of the big firms and the detriment of the punter and the general betting ring( as many small bookies are dropping out)...the spectre of every board showing the exact same prices in irish rings is not good for the health of the on course game as fewer punters will play....say what you want about him, at least the likes of mccoubrey at down royal still has a go, and pays no attention to either the machine or other boards, is he a dying breed?.
By:
tony57
When: 24 Sep 14 09:50
I don't know the bookie you mention KL, but he is a dying breed..i have a good friend who is a oncourse bookie here in the north west, Aintree, haydock, bangor, Carlisle, ponty, York,and occasionally, some of the smaller yorkshire tracks...all he does KL is what the machine indicates..he told me now and again he,ll stand a decent bet £3-4000,but most of the time he,ll put it back into the machine...his father owned 5 shops in Liverpool,..and was a top oncourse bookie in the 70s-80s before he died..but my mate just says them days are gone..and he says the punters are gone?..for e.g. @Aintree he is on the rails for all meetings..the grand national Saturday...he biggest bet was 1500, off a young local footballer,..the rest was 300-400 max,...he says punters are not on course no more..they all wont to stay at home on the machine?
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 24 Sep 14 16:03
Id say that kind of bookie is very much a dying breed....the  game is unrecognisable from what it used be.....no business means that people cannot afford to take chances......the machine has ruined it for on course layers.....no margins and it has educated the masses.....
All we have now in a lot of cases is a bag of women out the front screaming .....with the so called bookie hiding ashamedly in the back.......
I know of one operator who milks his cows once a day and then rushes off to the races in a car worth about 300 euro....its only a matter of time before he goes broke but he's far too proud to pack it in......the great bookies of the past like Graham Rogers Meehan wouldd be turning in their graves if they could see some of these gooons....
By:
johnslad
When: 25 Sep 14 06:40
if ye dont know MC COUBREY ye wont find him doesnt trade under own name but will stand a bet
By:
johnslad
When: 25 Sep 14 06:40
S A
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 25 Sep 14 08:48
Robert McCoubrey has traded under his own name for years....he bets in the 6 counties only.....
By:
kavvie
When: 25 Sep 14 09:23
agree with all thats said here.years ago i usta stay in the same house during tralee with two bookies.proper gents who would lay you a bet.no machine that time to be peering into everytime u laid a bet.ones name was ger hogan a tipp man i think.they usta tell me a few tales about what they laid the previous day etc.hair raising stuff.a grand then(25/30 yr ago) wouldnt even move a favourite..its sad now looking at the electronic robotic similiar boards.when u think of it whats the point of it all?a centralised system similar to australia would be easier and handier.(the totes a mess)
By:
johnoo1
When: 25 Sep 14 17:16
had a bet in ascot on  face north to win the hunt cup think it was 1992 400k to12 cash on after he won the bookie asked me did i want cash and he was a sole trader it was my first bet with him  he gave up a few years ago there was some great bookies then not anymore
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 25 Sep 14 18:52
I assume johnoo that royal hunt cup incident was a dream of some sort......
By:
johnoo1
When: 25 Sep 14 19:25
that kind of betting was quite commen then the sp was still 25/1   i was on @33/1 i asked for and got the percentages  the year was 1994
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 25 Sep 14 19:54
Maybe im taking it up wrong johnoo......and sincerest apologies if I am.....but my interpretation from what you wrote was that you had 12k on a 33/1 winner.....surely that's not right or maybe it is......
By:
johnoo1
When: 25 Sep 14 20:05
yes that was the bet it is one of the biggest betting races of the year  it was not that uncommen then   i was in the curragh when the late terry rogers laid cill dara to lose 750k to a well known limerick punter
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 25 Sep 14 20:09
Johnoo......I think its time you took a lie down......if the people with the white coats read this then you'd be taken away......don't worry I wont tell them.....
By:
johnoo1
When: 25 Sep 14 20:14
u just dont know the game   try checking it out with some of the guys that were punting big back then     maybe it might open up your little world
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 25 Sep 14 20:22
johnoo......you seem ok.....but your imagination is running wild......you are trying to tell us that you backed a horse to win 400k in one bet.....and the chappie wanted to pay you in cash....what did he say to his runner"throw me up me old mack there's 2 million in the inside pocket"....and as for the other bet and Terry Rogers laying a horse to lose 3/4 a million.....give us a break ffs.....
I must admit I kind of like old stories from the turf.....but please try and keep them some bit believable.....
By:
johnoo1
When: 25 Sep 14 20:51
as i said try checking it out with some of the guys  then u can come on here and tell us u were wrong   there are still a few big punters out there    and still some big bets laid mostly on the football   while it was a little unuasel to lay a horse @ 33/1 i was a fairly well known punter @ the time on a bad run  he knew that but it was my first bet with him    as far as he asking me did i want cash he was just joking but i paid on in cash     o and by the way i did not end up broke like a few of the big punters @ that time   still have the odd bet but no buzz in it anymore
By:
mitch leary
When: 25 Sep 14 22:48
Hi Johnoo if you genuinely had that bet you should have retired. Buzz or no buzz you didn't need to be gambling again.
You don't expect people to swallow that.
By:
The Gotchee
When: 25 Sep 14 23:07
No reason to disbelieve johnoo, maybe jealously?
By:
TradeFair
When: 26 Sep 14 00:46
Firstly. If you win 400k you'll probably remember what year (1994) the race was.
I' used to keep the Racing Post results section for all the big UK flat meetings between 1993-1997.  I've dug out this race from the attic and the biggest bet laid in the ring wax £4,000-£120 each way (x2)

Perhaps the poster is rounding up to compare to today's money?
By:
kincsem
When: 26 Sep 14 01:16
IR£400k in 1994 would be IR£627,346 at the end of 2013 at the inflation rates since, or €796,730 (1.27 £ to €)
It is not impossible if the bookie spread the bet around the ring.

My big story was I borrowed £10 from my mother in 1975 when going to The Curragh and had the first four winners.  I gave her £20 out of the £80.  Krassata the first of the four.
By:
TradeFair
When: 26 Sep 14 08:04
Back in the good old days of the 90's bookmaking rings routinely laid horses to lose 800k in today's money and sent the horse off 25/1?

What am I missing? Perhaps bankers and property dealers were bookmakers back then?
By:
kavvie
When: 26 Sep 14 17:35
i seen a lad(who i know) having 800k on a bolger shortie ridden by c roche, not sure 80s or 90s.the horse was thyer or similar name .it got beat.common place them days.i also seen a lad getting paid 160k in cash one day in galway in the 80s.
By:
kavvie
When: 26 Sep 14 17:35
i seen a lad(who i know) having 800k on a bolger shortie ridden by c roche, not sure 80s or 90s.the horse was thyer or similar name .it got beat.common place them days.i also seen a lad getting paid 160k in cash one day in galway in the 80s.
By:
kavvie
When: 26 Sep 14 17:38
he only done it once!!
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 26 Sep 14 18:26
As I said lads we all like tales of the turf.......but please try and keep them some way realistic......800k on a horse.....kavvie please......first we had 400k bets....then 800k.....its only a matter of time before the million pound barrier is smashed.....
By:
kavvie
When: 26 Sep 14 20:22
well if i met you i could tell you more...its all fact.
By:
paulie wallnuts
When: 26 Sep 14 20:34
Kavvie.... no disrespect to you and you may well think its a fact but its not......its more than likely a percentage of the figure you mention......and in all probability its a small one......
By:
kavvie
When: 26 Sep 14 20:48
ur funny paulie.i was there.
By:
GANT007
When: 26 Sep 14 20:51
Kavvie.....If it wasn't on facebook or twitter come people think it's not true.
By:
The Gotchee
When: 26 Sep 14 20:53
paulie, I seen you bluffing and spoofing a few weeks back on the main forum saying you had thousands on a 40/1 shot. Go to bed ya waffler.

No reason to disbelieve kavvie, one of the most honest posters on the forum.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com