Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
db1974
25 Aug 14 12:22
| Topic/replies: 5,523 | Blogger: db1974's blog
Assuming Stephen Gallcher doesn't finish in the Top 2 in the Italian Open this coming weekend, we have all 9 automatic positions filled:

Rory McIlroy
Henrik Stenson
Victor Dubuisson
Jamie Donaldson
Sergio Garcia
Justin Rose
Martin Kaymer
Thomas Bjorn
Graeme McDowell (loses out if Gallacher pulls it out of the bag)

So who would you pick as the 3 wildcards

I don't think you could leave out either Poulter or Westwood so IMO that leaves the last spot between Luke Donald or Jimenez or Gallacher

Although Jimenez has a great record in the Ryder Cup I think I'd be leaning towards Donald at this stage.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 45
By:
huddys
When: 25 Aug 14 18:54
Jimenez is so desperate to play in the Ryder cup id have him instead of Donald who has been very average this year,Jimenez has been playing some lovely golf and will go into the Ryder cup full of confidence,
By:
kavvie
When: 25 Aug 14 18:58
shane lowry.able to handle pressure.young vibrant
By:
workrider
When: 25 Aug 14 19:02
On the other side of the coin , if I could drop one from that list DB 1974 it would be BJORN , erratic to say the least ...
By:
Ozymandius
When: 25 Aug 14 19:25
what kind of course is gleneagles and what sort of player does it suit?
By:
Distant View
When: 25 Aug 14 20:35
Ozy,

These were some notes I had on it last year.

There is a very good course tour on the site as well.

This year the Centenary course will play 7,296 yards and to a Par 72. The course is a parkland layout with a mix of tree lined and exposed areas with numerous water hazards and lots of bunkers. In common with many Jack Nicklaus designs, there is a reasonable amount of room off the tee, but things get more difficult as you get closer to the hole. The reports are that the landing areas are quite generous and there is a good run on the fairways, although the rough us quite penal, with the intermediate measuring the length that primary does on many courses and the primary likely to prove a real test. Therefore with the course playing shorter as a result of the drier conditions, players may adopt a little but more of a conservative strategy from the tee in order to ensure that they are playing approaches from the fairways,

The greens have traditionally played slow, but with new sub-air systems installed on the greens and with prolonged dry weather this summer, they are likely to play faster than usual and should place a little bit more of a premium on putting than may have been the case in the past. Jack Nicklaus always likes to test the second shot of players and it is no surprise that these greens are well guarded meaning that hitting Greens In Regulation (“GIR”) will be vital this week.

The other real defence that the course can have is the wind. Although it is not a links course, it can very often feel that way with strong breezes usually commonplace. The forecast suggests that the wins may not be the factor that it has been in the past, but we could never preview an event at this venue without allowing for the wind factor.

In terms of what is needed to win this week, driving accuracy has traditionally not been a major factor. Of the players that filled the top 5 positions in the past two years, only Thomas Bjorn (winner in 2011) in 2011 ranked inside the Top 20 in terms of driving accuracy. While many of the top finishers ranked high in terms of driving distance in recent years, it is helpful rather than crucial and with the course likely to play shorter in dry conditions, the length off the tee advantage may be reduced. Putting is important but what seems crucial each year is performance on the Par 5s.
By:
Distant View
When: 25 Aug 14 20:44
Gallacher has an excellent record at Gleneagles, but he has a terrible matchplay record between the various events like the Accenture, the Volvo, Seve Trophy (I think) and the Royal Trophy.
By:
callitasucit
When: 25 Aug 14 20:54
Yeah, Gallagher has his pros and cons. Personally I would have him ahead of Donald. Fair chance that he gets in on merit anyway.

Westwood holes more putts in the team format, maybe doesn't feel the pressure as much as in regular event. Poult will obviously get in. I don't know why the media worship him for his Ryder Cup 'greatness'. Personally I think its a disgrace that he can be so consistently brilliant in this event, holing all the crucial putts.....yet cannot do same when it really matters, in majors. Rather than lauding him, I feel it should be questioned.
By:
Clerkmore
When: 25 Aug 14 21:07
I don't think you could leave out either Poulter or Westwood so IMO that leaves the last spot between Luke Donald or Jimenez or Gallacher

Yeah,that's all we need. The Ryder Cup on the line and Westwood with a ten footer to save it or maybe a chip and a putt from 10 yards off the green.

I would not have him anywhere near the team except as vice-captain.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 25 Aug 14 21:14
cheers dv.

I think the true greats perform best on the greatest stage of all; ie the Poulters and the Montys at the Ryder Cup. 

Tigger could never handle the heat of the event (or possibly the lack of paycheck).

Devil
By:
callitasucit
When: 25 Aug 14 21:28
Ha Ha....good bait Oz!

The sad thing is there are those out there that actually believe that to be true! Monty obviously being one, fat cu nt.
By:
huddys
When: 25 Aug 14 21:31
Goodman Callitasucit agree with everything you said,
By:
frank60
When: 25 Aug 14 23:54
Outside the9 poulter,westwood,donald for me, europe 1.7 on the machine at the min- with this team 1.5.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 26 Aug 14 10:51
Ryder Cup should always be played on a links course when possible but never is.

I am still ashamed we gave our Ryder Cup to the K Club.
By:
Arklearkle
When: 26 Aug 14 18:53
WM I am not certain that we have a links course which could handle the Ryder cup crowds considering that there are only four holes in play at any one time on the Friday and Saturday.
By:
db1974
When: 31 Aug 14 18:55
Gallagher gave it a great go today with a 65 in the last round and finished 3rd, just 1 shot off automatic qualification for the team and has boosted his chances of a WC anyway. Fair play to him.
By:
db1974
When: 31 Aug 14 18:56
Gallacher (stoopid autocorrect)
By:
callitasucit
When: 31 Aug 14 18:59
Absolute certainty to get in.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 31 Aug 14 19:10
I hope Monty will be ok with not being the only Scot involved.
By:
ACE JACK DOUBLE SUITED
When: 02 Sep 14 12:05
We'll know soon enough anyway but surely it will be Westwood Poulter and Gallacher
By:
db1974
When: 02 Sep 14 12:41
Westwood, Poulter, & Gallacher it is then

I wonder how much Gallacher's performance at the weekend impacted on McGinley's decision
By:
frank60
When: 02 Sep 14 13:03
Nice to have 2 scots in the team   giving the ryder cup will be held in Scotland,it will help to bring even bigger crowds to gleneagles,
By:
callitasucit
When: 02 Sep 14 13:05
Say it mattered quite a bit db. Personally I think he deserved in anyway, in front of all the other 3, but McGinley probably needed that final push to justify giving Donald the bad news.
By:
Clerkmore
When: 02 Sep 14 14:06
It is an absolute disgrace that Westwood has been picked instead of Donald. There has been a clique in European Golf for years surrounding the Ryder Cup involving Mark James, Torrance, Bjorn, Westwood etc. People like Faldo, Casey, Donald were not part of it. While Donald, Gallacher, Molinari and Luiten were playing at the weekend trying to catch the captain's eye, Westwood had his fat @rse parked at home. Why? Because he knew he was in. Didn't Sam Torrance say two months ago that McGinley should give Westwood a pick so that he would not have to worry about making the team?

Both Donald and Westwood are out of form. However, Donald is higher in the World Golf rankings 30 to 38. He has a better Ryder Cup record. He is an excellent foursomes player. He could be played on all 5 sessions. Westwood's short game will probably mean that he won't play in foursomes or, if he does on the first day, he probably won't on the second. And be honest, if it gets down to a close match on the Sunday, would you want Westwood playing in a key match?
By:
freddiek
When: 02 Sep 14 14:21
Westwood is just better than Donald and deserves the nod over him. He has a huge amount of Ryder experience, going back to the 90s for jaysus sake.
By:
Clerkmore
When: 02 Sep 14 14:38
And your logic for that remark is what? The World Golf Rankings don't lie.
By:
Snookerpunter
When: 02 Sep 14 14:52
I would have probably gone with Donald over WW myself. Name seems to have precedent over current form for the selection for this event. To be honest, in their current form, neither should have been considered. 

But I wouldn't be basing my decision on World Golf Rankings, for they do lie.
By:
freddiek
When: 02 Sep 14 14:58
Luke Donald got to world no. 1 despite never looking like winning a major at least in my memory. Westwood has had about a dozen chances and has always been the better player. i'd be critical of him but in a choice between the 2 it has to be Lee imo.
By:
Kelly
When: 02 Sep 14 15:15
3 picks were predicted by most of us , no surprise really .  In Ryder Cup terms Westwood has probaly had greater influence than Donald , good partnership with Sergio as I recall .

Tom will be looking at Pauls picks , mildly cursing that his job is not going to be so easy , or productive hopefully --although I like Tom , always have .
By:
Clerkmore
When: 02 Sep 14 16:34
Tom will be looking at Paul's picks and saying "We've got a better chance now!"
By:
Clerkmore
When: 02 Sep 14 16:45
Kelly, Westwood and Donald have exactly the same record with Garcia in Ryder Cup, 5-1.
By:
Kelly
When: 02 Sep 14 16:50
I honestly dont think the Yanks give a lot of worry to whether they win the Ryder Cup or not .  Individually their players have other things to ponder , like where they will invest their serious income , but their top 30 are getting a phenomenal living / income without having to travel the planet .  Gleneagles will be akin to a holiday for them , even if only 2 turned up for the preview night . And its a lovely place for a holiday as long as rain and mist dont interfere unduly .

Donald for Westwood would not have unduly assisted the European effort , the same comment might have applied if it had been the other way about .  Gallacher deserves his spot , you could argue that the other 3 "possibles" might have shown up more in Europe just to fly the flag so to speak .

Bradley the only one I would be sure of , pick and playing wise .  I think he cares about the outcome too , not a comment I think will apply 100% to all of his team mates .
By:
Clerkmore
When: 02 Sep 14 17:05
I think that any team captained by Tom Watson will be competitive, don't worry about that.
By:
Kelly
When: 02 Sep 14 17:14
Fortunately for Europe , Tom cant play . Tom very competitive and loves Scotland , good pick by the Americans .  Its the players I have misgivings about though , a lot of them dont tough it out when the chips are down , top 10 always pays well , keeps the wolf well away from the door .

Horshel last night hit a terrible shot towards ( not onto ) the 18th , and smiled !  Should have wanted to break his club or hit himself . Too easy money , few hungry fighters .
By:
frank60
When: 02 Sep 14 17:28
iWould prefair Donald myself,but 1.68 here is a good bet [IT must be the lowest price ever for europe to win]
By:
Kelly
When: 02 Sep 14 17:38
Think Europe will win , frank60 , I have a free bet somewhere on the Ryder Cup , think its with PP . But it might be better doing it on the non winner markets if they allow it .
By:
callitasucit
When: 02 Sep 14 22:26
I said the same to the missus about Horschel, Kelly. I hadn't him backed, but was still disgusted by his reaction. Tiger probably would have beheaded someone with the flying club.

The shot was horrific, the reaction worse.
By:
STELLAR MANIPULATOR
When: 02 Sep 14 22:27
Am stunned that Donald with his exemplary Ryder Cup record was not picked with three players ranked below him in the OGWR getting the nod instead. His play has declined this year but no worse than Poulter or Westwood and the journeyman Gallacher has a terrible singles record in all formats. The old adage applies , form is temporary , class is permanent and the political appointment of a Scot and a Euro tour loyalist could cost Europe the Ryder Cup. Just checked the odds on Top European and Gallacher is rank outsider at 25/1 , does anyone think you would get those odds on Donald if he was chosen ?
By:
callitasucit
When: 02 Sep 14 23:03
Its still right that he was chosen. He was 9th in the list, ahead of any other possible pick. He has played better than WW, Luke or Poulter all year. He has won this year, defending which has added pressure. He has a super record at Gleneagles, and maybe it isn't important, but he's the homeboy, and it could be a factor. Apart from his meaningless win in Asia, its been a long time since Luke has delivered, or been near his best. Form may be temporary, but sometimes temporary becomes permanent.

I plan on backing Europe, and I would be in no way put off by Gallacher making the team.
By:
STELLAR MANIPULATOR
When: 02 Sep 14 23:36
Everything you say is correct and if the format was strokeplay , I couldn't knock Gallacher's selection but the format is matchplay and his record in matchplay singles is 0-7 as listed hereunder and his foursomes/fourball record in team format is middling at best.

Career Singles Record: 0-7
Event    Course  Match   Result
2014 Eurasia Cup      Glenmarie Golf and Country Club             Siddikur Rahman def. Stephen Gallacher              4 and 3
2014 WGC-Match Play   Dove Mountain                               Ernie Els def. Stephen Gallacher                19 holes
2013 Royal Trophy     Dragon Lake Golf Club                       Thongchai Jaidee def. Stephen Gallacher              4 and 2
2013 Seve Trophy      Golf de Saint-Nom-la-Breteche               Matteo Manassero def. Stephen Gallacher         3 and 2
2013 Volvo World Match Play     Thracian Cliffs                   Chris Wood def. Stephen Gallacher         2 and 1
2013 Volvo World Match Play     Thracian Cliffs                   Graeme McDowell def. Stephen Gallacher          4 and 2
2013 WGC-Match Play     Dove Mountain                             Ian Poulter def. Stephen Gallacher          2 and 1
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com