Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
CheltenhamRoar
12 Jun 14 19:02
| Topic/replies: 5,882 | Blogger: CheltenhamRoar's blog
O'Herlihy,Giles,Brady,Dunphy & Co,This should be fun Grin
Pause Switch to Standard View RTE World Cup Thread
Show More
Report no-won-sun June 13, 2014 4:51 PM BST
Yes, but has anybody noticed that we (Ireland, rep of)has no team in the competition BUT we seem to have more coverage and more personnel out there than the BBC. I know some people will tell you we have better commentators etc., but FFS at what price. Also you cannot hear the Irish commentary maybe if George shut the window or is it that we are situated in a shed at the edge of the stand.
Report Dan Chipowski June 13, 2014 8:43 PM BST
Commentary on RTE is miles ahead of the pictures, which renders it pretty much unwatchable.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 15, 2014 7:38 PM BST
Noticed that the other day Dan,Very annoying.
Report Sir mix a lot June 16, 2014 4:53 PM BST
dunphy and didi nothing good to say about the gerries.........sounds like thye both have their rocks on portugal .......... queue Germany win 3-0
Report frank60 June 16, 2014 5:26 PM BST
One of the best tipsters on here keen leader nap was Portugal to beat the gerries not a goood start, but a cracking game in the heat.
Report Sir mix a lot June 16, 2014 5:33 PM BST
dunphy the ultimate jinx strikes again
Report Ozymandius June 16, 2014 5:56 PM BST
Keen leader is having a mare.

First we had the Eurovision debacle to end all debacles, the 'point and shoot' hoss at the w/e, then Spain to top their group, now he has put the kiss of death on Portugal.

He needs to find us a Mickey Mouse GAA fixture somewhere to get back on track.  C'mon KL...fffs....I have had to cutback on my cigar budget; have had to downgrade from Cohbas to Hamlets.

Cuddles Blake Love in danger of stealing KL's crown if this keeps up.
Report workrider June 16, 2014 5:59 PM BST
Norman The RAT leaving the sinking ship I see ...
Report frank60 June 16, 2014 6:02 PM BST
Grin just hope the great man does,nt go into hideing ozy
Report Ozymandius June 16, 2014 6:04 PM BST
Wonks, kindly stop insulting my Mother on a daily basis.  You are the only one who does it, your buddies have said they don't approve of it, next time I shall have no choice but to block you.  It is what i believe you would call 'scumbag behaviour' and you are letting yourself down.  Thank you.
Report Ozymandius June 16, 2014 6:05 PM BST
I think he is keeping the good stuff for his clients , frank.  Fair enough.  Still a dig out would be appreciated Wink
Report frank60 June 16, 2014 6:16 PM BST
The germans are great for the big occasion Ozy , i had 25euro on Martin kaymer at 40/1 with boyles to win the us open, great price on a player who was on top of his game.
Report Ozymandius June 16, 2014 6:21 PM BST
well done frank, that as a mighty win!
Report workrider June 16, 2014 6:27 PM BST
WTF are you on about you psycho , you're getting paranoid , were did I mention YOUR MOTHER....
Report frank60 June 16, 2014 6:28 PM BST
T.Y. i laid around e350 of it off here.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 16, 2014 6:35 PM BST
Ref is defo a German in disguise,How was that not a pen?Laugh
Report Blackwater June 17, 2014 10:39 PM BST
Fair play to the boys, they set new ****g standards of excellence tonight.
Report olddesperado June 18, 2014 10:52 AM BST
Dunphy like a child made apologize in front of class.

Surely an apology from bill if anyone heard anything offensive would have sufficed.
Report frank60 June 18, 2014 8:42 PM BST
Chile red hot so far, big mentality issue with Spain, if they quilify from 1=0 down it will be a great comeback.
Report frank60 June 18, 2014 8:47 PM BST
divine intervention needed 2-0,
Report Vubiant June 18, 2014 9:53 PM BST
Didn't real eyes Chilly were sew good.
Report walllace007 June 18, 2014 11:04 PM BST
Last appearance for Ossie Ardiles, have to say will miss the entertainment even though couldnt understand a word he was saying.. You would have to wonder how RTE would end up hiring him!
Report frank60 June 18, 2014 11:38 PM BST
When Bill asked the Panel who was the best player Never to play in the World cup liam brady thought george best , i liked Ossie,s reply after thinking for a while he said Eamon Dunphy it got a good laugh around the table.
Report the jolly June 19, 2014 1:22 PM BST
Was I mis-hearing things or did Johnny keep saying tippy tappy football instead of tiki taka football last night when doing the spain game
Report workrider June 19, 2014 4:49 PM BST
Tippy Tappy is a old Dublin saying , so yeah he did say tippy tappy..
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y June 19, 2014 8:50 PM BST
when are RTE gonna dump that clueless cokehead / pisshead Dunphy, the fkin state of him tonight trying to say things Plain
Report CheltenhamRoar June 19, 2014 8:52 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjpgnnw3dBA

Bills reaction is priceless LaughLaugh
Report ColdTurkey June 20, 2014 7:38 PM BST
going to be a punch up tonight.
Report frank60 June 20, 2014 7:42 PM BST
I thought Kenny was right.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y June 20, 2014 7:46 PM BST
Eamo seems more coherent tonight
Report ColdTurkey June 20, 2014 7:47 PM BST
me too. Dunphy's like a dog with a bone. Kenny always looks pissed off. great entertainment
Report ColdTurkey June 20, 2014 7:47 PM BST
didi 10/10 love him
Report frank60 June 20, 2014 8:23 PM BST
RTE should ask jOHN TERRY to replace Ossie on the panel it would be great for the ratings.[Ossie gone home could,nt put up with Dunphy anymore]Grin
Report CheltenhamRoar June 20, 2014 8:54 PM BST
Dunphy half cut again Grin
Report CheltenhamRoar June 25, 2014 7:09 PM BST
Sadlier and Cunnigham nearly coming to blows over Lavezzi squirting his water bottle at his manager Grin
Report Clerkmore June 25, 2014 7:23 PM BST
You're lucky over there. We have to put up with Adrian Chiles for half the matches!
Report CheltenhamRoar June 25, 2014 7:31 PM BST
Feel sorry for you lot Clerkmore,Don't know how u manage!
Great entertainment on the panel with RTE,And we get Aprés Match too Grin
Report frank60 June 25, 2014 8:11 PM BST
Hyperbole must be your middle name C.R.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 25, 2014 8:39 PM BST
Ah lighten up frank,At least they're not afraid to speak their mind
Report frank60 June 25, 2014 8:49 PM BST
Dunphy halfcut...Sadlier and Cunnigham nearly coming to blows over Lavezzi squirting his water bottle at his manager ..your the one that  wants to lighen up,   i happen to think Kenny and richie are very good at there job .
Report dj876 June 25, 2014 11:24 PM BST
Kenny C was correct about the lack of respect shown to the Argentinian coach and Saddlier was merely ingratiating himself with Dunphy by making an issue out of it.

There was one night where Dunphy was particularly locked,the night of England versus Uruguay (after Royal Ascot).He could not complete a sentence and he got worse as the night went on, private room for the match?

Dunphy has plenty in common with Didi and will generally agree with everything he says,the issue Didi has been most animated by was the disallowed Benezema goal at the full time whistle.He tipped him ew for the golden boot in his RP column so that could prove an expensive call considering he blew €280k on one wager.
Report brain dead jockeys June 27, 2014 6:53 PM BST
dunphy's defence of luis suarez reminds me of him defending roy keanes attempt to end a players career at elland road.
Report brain dead jockeys June 27, 2014 7:02 PM BST
dunphy was ingratiating himself with michael o'neill the other night every chance he got.............he was doing the same as well with richie sadler..........i cant stand him anymore. once i thought he was good but he is well past his sell by date.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 28, 2014 9:59 PM BST
Giles and Dunphy not friends anymore
Report dj876 June 28, 2014 10:04 PM BST
Unlike Dunphy to stick his nose up at what Colombia can produce.
Report freddiek June 28, 2014 10:10 PM BST
very good dj
Report CheltenhamRoar June 28, 2014 10:10 PM BST
LaughLaugh very good dj,Don't know what they do be shíting about sometimes,Not giving Columbia any credit at all.
Report Dan Chipowski June 28, 2014 10:18 PM BST
Dunphy's half time analysis was some load of sh!te.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 28, 2014 10:56 PM BST
Giles rocking a loom band tonight Laugh
Report brain dead jockeys June 29, 2014 8:43 PM BST
dunphy's statement that the world cup should be played in europe every time is one of teh dumbest statements i have ever heard. there is a simple way to prevent playing in the heat..............play the matches after 6pm...........end of.............
Report CheltenhamRoar June 29, 2014 8:48 PM BST
That wouldn't suit European audience BDJ,So wouldn't work with games on at midnight and 3am CET
Report CheltenhamRoar July 5, 2014 10:09 PM BST
No Co-Commentator with George tonight Crazy
Report db1974 July 7, 2014 9:20 AM BST
^ I was wondering about that myself. Where was Houghton?
Report CheltenhamRoar July 7, 2014 10:28 AM BST
Has fallen ill apparently

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/soccer-legend-ray-houghton-rushed-...
Report pa lapsy July 9, 2014 11:55 PM BST
Dunphy is so brutally bad its unreal,fair play to the other two for calling the world cup semi final for what it was,a truly awful game.
Report kingrat July 10, 2014 12:09 AM BST
dunphy played the game,he even played for ireland.what did u ever do old pa?except hold a kango hammer as a navvy.Laugh
Report frank60 July 10, 2014 12:10 AM BST
It was,nt great Pa but i thought there was some great defence play, i back the 0-0 at 8.2 it looked on before the game.i thought the dutch might win in extra/time but the gerries look good for the final.
Report pa lapsy July 10, 2014 12:11 AM BST
I,ve me word anyway Rat, i won,t have been on this forum.
Report callitasucit July 10, 2014 12:29 AM BST
1.73 on the Germans is pure fuc*in madness. People seem to believe in 6 minutes of craziness rather than in the other 600 they have played.
Report frank60 July 10, 2014 1:15 AM BST
Argentina scored 2goals in the knock/outs so far and messi is 2.3 to win the golden ball ; now theres a lay if ever there was one,[he has,nt score in the knock out rd yet]
James Rodriguez at 6.4 is a great bet for me.
Report no-won-sun July 10, 2014 2:19 AM BST
George was pretty pathetic tonight or did anyone else notice. He didn't seem to realise the number of subs allowed and said that the Dutch had used up their TWO subs and wouldn't be able to bring on Krul in the event of a shootout, this was before extra time. Little wonder during extra time Trevor Stevens seemed to have a rein on him whenever he made an utterance.
Then we had Ned Dunphy predicting a draw and a penalty shootout, this was the equivalent, in racing parlance, of a Mick Fitzgerald tip. FFS and there are guys on here who would tell you that RTE do a great job..........................yes, but at what price.
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2014 8:30 AM BST
Surprised callit that you think 8/11 on Germany is madness......I think its quite generous.

Argentina aren't even playing well....at least not in an attacking sense....Messi didn't touch the ball once in the penalty area last night, Higuain is a donkey and Auerro looked very off the pace when he came on last night.  Di Maria is badly needed, don't know if he is fit again for the final, though even he has had an average World Cup, after a fantastic season in La Liga.

And for those relying on a moment of magic for Messi to turn the game...he really hasn't been at his best for at least 6 months now.

I will agree with you that Germany were hugely flattered by the score against Brazil, and have failed to beat both Algeria and Ghana in 90 minutes....but I still cant see past them. Efficient, unlikely to give up soft goals, great keeper, great penalty record if it comes to that which I don't think it will.
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2014 8:42 AM BST
also Germany much improved since they dropped Mertersaker and returned Lahm to FB.
Report callitasucit July 10, 2014 10:13 AM BST
In the second half against Brazil Oz, they could have conceded 3 goals in nearly as few minutes. On at least 5 separate occasions against Algeria Neuer saved the defences blushes playing sweeper. Agreed he is still part of the team and a huge asset, but their defence is there to be carved, and if Di Maria is back they will have plenty of danger coming at them. It is totally devoid of pace.

Ghana probably deserved to beat them, Algeria should have been at least a goal up at half time(not biased I backed Germany that match), and they got all the luck going against the French.

Argies admittedly haven't been great. As a supporter, i would say even borderline disappointing, but their defence has improved as the tournament has gone on, and in Germany they will finally face a team that will play a more open game against them. Messi and co will thrive on this.

The Argie Cat proved himself a hero in the shootout last night, and they scored all their taken penalties which will help if forced all the way again.

The fatigue element may favour the Germans, who only really had a 45 minute match, and a day earlier, but all in all I couldn't have Germany any better than 2. I have enough on Argentina already, so may not reload, but.......Grin

Also, you have to remember, Argentina are the only team, apart from maybe Doncaster Rovers, that Roadrunner has not backed to win the WC, so this has to be factored in!!
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2014 10:44 AM BST
I would ignore the chances conceeded against Algeria...Mertersacker was playing and therefore the high line was doomed.  Also Lahm not in defence...since these two changes the defence has improved imeasurably. Like most winners of the WC, Germany are showing steady improvement.  They have goals in them an Argentina don't.  Argentina rely on one man, Germany don't.

If it comes to penalties there is only one winner!

Ever since the deabacle of the last 20 minutes of Brazil v Columbia, Arg have been my biggest Green.  Very nicely ahead on both teams, but have switched to making Germany my better winner.

I think you are nuts to consider reloading on Argies!
Report wildmanfromborneo July 10, 2014 10:52 AM BST
Argentina despite their high profile forwards don't score goals,they will need the pope to play for them to score against the Germans.
Report pa lapsy July 10, 2014 11:11 AM BST
You,ve called some matches brilliantly Callit and can't dispute the case you are making,but the Germans seem to have it all,a 120 minutes football last night and not a single clear cut chance created in the match, not good enough.
We have seen odd finals,(France and Brazil being one)so who copes with the day best is an obvious factor, certainly now can only hope rather than have confidence with Argentina personally though they did what i,d thought they would do and make it to this stage, RR and the Pope are rightly factored in.Grin
Report callitasucit July 10, 2014 11:34 AM BST
I think you are nuts to consider reloading on Argies

.....unfortunately I have heard that before,....I don't think it ended well either!
Report Clerkmore July 10, 2014 4:27 PM BST
Argentina didn't miss too many penalties last night.
Report CheltenhamRoar July 10, 2014 4:50 PM BST
Well if Cillessen hadn't got glass hands they'd have missed two!!
Terribly boring game last night,First time there's even been a scoreless draw in a world cup SF,
The Argies defense has been rock solid through out the tournament,Garay in particular has been excellent,
i expect another close game sunday,Germany by the odd goal in 1,And probably in ET.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 11, 2014 9:31 AM BST
It has been a great tournament,some teams start improving in a tournament as they get to know each other,Germany defininitely that team this year.

Look certainties to win it,Argentina have looked very poor to me.
Report Ozymandius July 11, 2014 9:33 AM BST
Cry why did you have to go and jinx it with those immortal words...everytime you label something  a 'certainty'...it f**ks up...if I didn't know better I would think you were 'doing a Moneytree'.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 11, 2014 9:42 AM BST
Your certainties were in the Rugby,I think it was Leinster against Edinburgh recommended bet was pile on at 2/7 they inevitably lost.

My certainties on non racing topics are nearly 100 percent successful ( Ryder Cup not withstanding)hope the Germans don't ruin it.
Report Ozymandius July 11, 2014 9:45 AM BST
Your last 'certainty' was England to qualify from their group.

They were also a 'certainty' to beat Uruguay.

Neither bet came close to winning.  Both were epic fails.

Only a mug uses the word 'certainty' when describing such a bet, or indeed any bet.  I would never dream of using the term.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 11, 2014 9:54 AM BST
Never said either were certainties,argued that Uruquay were a poor team,

Indeed you argued the opposite claiming ludicrously they were the best South American team,then contradicted yourself by saying Brazil couldn't be beaten,managed to get both wrong.
Report Ozymandius July 11, 2014 10:00 AM BST
Never said either were certainties,

wildmanfromborneo 19 Jun 14 10:20

Uruquay are one of the worst teams in the tournament,have been poor for two years now.

England will have more trouble beating Costa Rica than Uruquay,accept they are generally over bet but look certainties to me.

You couldn't make it up....the case for the prosecution rests.  I really don't need to add any more.  You are not only a Mug but a Mug who cannot remember hat he has said, but denies it anyway.
Report Ozymandius July 11, 2014 10:03 AM BST
You disappoint me Borneo, you really don't provide much of a challenge anymore.  It may be time for a checkup...can the District Nurse still do house visits?

Out of here till later (or in your code, 'storming off' (victoriously Cool)
Report wildmanfromborneo July 11, 2014 10:39 AM BST
That looks to me at first glance a fifty percent strike rate.

You don't bring up me saying England were certainties to win the group because its not there,your memory was faulty.

Also I didnt declare them as certainties as you did your Rugby bets but stated they " look certainties to me " there is a difference.

You are not out you are very much in just holding a watching brief.
Report frank60 July 11, 2014 12:38 PM BST
AH i stopped useing the word cetainties when adam scot blowup in the open a few years back, i backed him at 45/1 but had to go out with 5holes to play and did,nt bother laying him at 1.1 , i still feel the pain.Cry
Report neill d July 11, 2014 2:22 PM BST
Anyone else think that England put up the performance of that group against Costa Rica without actually winning. Dead rubber I know, but you'd just wonder what might have been had they a real top notch coach.
Report neill d July 11, 2014 2:30 PM BST
No team facing Messi, Di Maria and Aguero is a certainty to me. I'd like to see Messi win a World Cup, but on what we have seen from these teams here and what they do with their clubs, Germany are the better balanced team.

Got everything wrong this tournamnet and couldn't be getting involved now. Germany are the kind of structured, passing team I like to back, though. Lahm to FB has been the making of them as mentioned. Toni Kroos is the next great midfielder and is liable to be the most effective player on Sunday. Move the ball and run the steam out of the Argentinians with Messi looking a little tired? That's how they'll do em' I'd say..... if they are to do it!!
Report frank60 July 11, 2014 4:37 PM BST
kroos has been wonderbar for the gerries neill, with a  reasonable run of the ball i make germany 1.55.
Report neill d July 11, 2014 5:37 PM BST
I'd be with you Frank, but it is hard to legislate for a genius...
Report Dan Chipowski July 12, 2014 9:47 PM BST
Is Brian Kerr drunk this evening? Plain
Report CheltenhamRoar July 12, 2014 9:59 PM BST
Best coverage on the panel tonight since it's started Grin
Report frank60 July 13, 2014 8:51 PM BST
h/time and a lot more open then i thought,
Report kingrat July 13, 2014 9:08 PM BST
giles is a class act tbf.
Report frank60 July 13, 2014 10:58 PM BST
messi won the golden boot...WTF
Report frank60 July 13, 2014 11:14 PM BST
sry golden ball, no goals and 1 assist in knockout stageLaugh
Report callitasucit July 14, 2014 3:30 AM BST
It was between Messi and Robben from a long way out Frank.

Robben maybe deserved it for dragging the Dutch into the semis, but the award will always go to a semi final participant.
Report Ozymandius July 14, 2014 8:50 AM BST
Robben, Mascherano and Neuer for me.  Always felt that Messi was going to get it, mind.
Report neill d July 14, 2014 1:32 PM BST
There is an awful lot less between Robben and the big two than many think. Pity he hasn't had better luck with injuries down the years. Great player, always has been.
Report frank60 July 14, 2014 2:04 PM BST
Ifeel he got the award for what he a did outside the world cup, interesting to note that he would,nt have got the vote if he had to depend on the panellist on rte and bbc.,,but maybe im Angry because i laid him at 2.3.
Report Roger De Bris July 14, 2014 10:11 PM BST
At this particular moment in time....high up the pitch....
Report CheltenhamRoar July 14, 2014 10:39 PM BST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiUe9V_VjBw

Absolutely hilarious Laugh

Kenny Cunningham Laugh
Report frank60 July 14, 2014 10:55 PM BST
Laugh
Report Roger De Bris July 15, 2014 7:13 PM BST
disappointed with the apres match. never said high up the pitch did they?
Report CheltenhamRoar July 16, 2014 11:30 AM BST
No but they were very funny doing peter collins Laugh
Report db1974 July 16, 2014 11:40 AM BST
I didn't see the Peter Collins one - is it on the RTE player?
Report CheltenhamRoar July 16, 2014 12:41 PM BST
They done it when they took over the 3rd/4th place play off db,They showed highlights on one of the Columbia games and were doing peter collins and brian kerr in commentary,very good,You'll find it on the RTE player its near the beginning
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com