Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
huddys
18 Feb 14 21:56
| Topic/replies: 2,671 | Blogger: huddys's blog
Another great week of golf ahead of us this week,starting tomorrow just a reminder lads,few of the big guns given this a miss,starting with two e/w selections for the outright,1st selection is a player who's been knocking on the door the last few weeks finishing runner up the last two events,Dustin Johnson,he should be going into this event full of confidence with his solid play the few weeks,could be playing Bubba if they both win their 1st matches,that will be some game between the two big hitting players,2nd selection is Jason Day a player who only seems to bother performing on the big stage,finished 3rd here last year knocking out a few big guns,this type of format seems to really suit his type of play,seems to have the easy part of the booby jones bracket aswell,
Only going to do one match bet tomorrow backed Grace at 6/4 against Walker,really think this is a cracking bet,just think Walker will be burnt out after his brilliant start to the season against a much fresher hunger Grace,
Also done a e/w yankee on Dustin winning the Sam Snead bracked,Day winning the Bobby Jones,Kuchar winning the Gary Player,and Sergio winning the Ben Hogan,best of luck this week lads,just hope my selections get over the first hurdle tomorrow,

Outright Selections,
Dustin Johnson 20/1 e/w,
Jason Day 20/1 e/w,

Grace to beat Walker in his first round match 6/4,

E/W Yankee,
Dustin Johnson to win the Sam Snead 9/2,
Jason Day to win the Bobby Jones 5/1,
Matt Kuchar to win the Gary Player 6/1,
Sergio Garcia to win the Ben Hogan 6/1,

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 124
By:
newapproach
When: 19 Feb 14 09:46
Gone for six picks in this in order to try and cover each quarter. I've mainly looked for good matchplay players who are in decent form also. Some of the traditionally good matchplay players like Poulter, Donald and Kuchar are in poor enough form but are still very short in the betting imo so it means there is possibly excellent value elsewhere. If you looke at the last 5 winners since the event was moved to Dove mountain, they were all relatively short, accurate players who kept the ball in the fairway and i have tried to look for these types of players.

Jason Day 22/1
Good record in this event and with 2nd @ Torrey Pines

Graeme McDowell 40/1
Excellent matchplay player as we have seen @ ryder cup and strong finish @ pebble beach. Massive price this week imo

Keegan Bradley 40/1
Another player who has played well at the ryder cup and is possibly well suited by matchplay format

Steve Stricker 50/1
Started last year excellently after a break and i'm hoping he will do the same this year. Also a former winner of this event

Ryan Moore 50/1
Very accurate from tee to green and played well in this event 3 years ago

Miguel Angel Jimenez 150/1
Didn't really fancy anyone in this quarter as a lot of the favs aren't in the best of form so took a chance on Jimenez who has a decent record here in the past

Good luck everyone.
By:
Kelly
When: 19 Feb 14 12:13
Will be keeping an eye on Sergio . Westwood is a big price to beat Harris English in the first round , I would have the betting the other way around . Think Lee would relish a crack at Rory ( assuming Rory disposes of Boo ) .

Rory supporters should be glad Wozniacki is still playing tennis this week . Looking forward to a lot of matches , love the match play scenario . Its traditional !
By:
Kelly
When: 19 Feb 14 12:21
Just backed Rory at 14/1 , SP Bett .  For trading purposes and a bit of interest .
By:
Ozymandius
When: 19 Feb 14 12:59
My pin has landed on the following outsiders in each group;

DeLaet 55/1
Matsuyama 60/1
Ryan Moore 50/1
Harris English 66/1
By:
callitasucit
When: 19 Feb 14 14:35
A very tricky event to weigh up this week, i have a couple more selections than usual. I typically like to nominate one player from each quarter, but the 5 players i had shortlisted ended up having 4 in two quarters, so a couple more were added from absent quarter.

The player that interested me most this week, was Jordan Spieth. When the Ladbrokes odds compiler took leave of his senses and chalked up an opening 40-1, i got more interested!! Unfortunately due to site technical errors, i missed the price, and settled for 28s, as i was prepared to take anyything over 22s. Spieth has been in superb form for a number of months now. He has failed to notch a win, but i feel he has been putting putting undue pressure on himself to attain this. Matchplay may be where he breaks his sesaonal duck. Just concentrate on the man in front of you, and take it from there.

Matt Kuchar is due to face Spieth pretty early on, and i will back both, as i feel whoever wins this clash, will win the quarter. Kuch was poor last week, but Riviera has never been his track, Dove Mountain has. Expect a much improved showing.

Hunter Mah
an is another who has excellent an tournament record here. A bit out of kilter also last week, that can be put down to an arduous examination at Pebble the previus week.

Zach Johnson is also in Mahans quarter, and like Spieth v Kuch, i expect the winer of this battle to land the quarter. Zach has no pedigree here, but he has usually come here in poor form. Not so this year, he has been unbelievable the last few months. Consistently so. That is what will be needed this week.

Sergio Garcia
has also been in superb form of late, with two recent wins. Sergio could be in for a very successful year, and i would not be one bit surprised if he notched this along the way.

Webb Simpson gets in by default!! I wanted someone in each quarter, and apart from arank outsider, i didnt fancy anyone else in this quarter. Webb has performed well around here, and could easily reach the last 4.

Jamie Donaldson is that outsider, and at 125-1, he looks a great bet. Personally feel he is very under rated when stepping out of the shallower waters of the European Tour. 25-1 to capture the Jones Bracket could reward support. 11-10 to win his opening match against a abng out of form Bily Horshel is a steal.

1pt e.w Hunter Mahan 33-1
1pt e.w Matt Kuchar 30-1
1.1pt e.w Jordan Spieth 28-1
1.2pt e.w Sergio Garcia 25-1
.9pt e.w Zach Johnson 35-1
.8pt e.w Webb Simpson 33-1
.25pt e.w Jamie Donaldson 125-1

1pt e.w Donaldson 25-1 Jones Bracket
5pts win Donaldson 11-10 to beat Horschel

George Coetzee should alsio take care of part timer Steve Stricker, and is worthy of support at 5-4.

4 pts win Coetzee 5-4

Running Total........+109.95
By:
newapproach
When: 19 Feb 14 14:55
I came very close to backing Zach callit, but left it off due to his poor record around here. On the face of it, you would say he has the perfect game to win around this course but he has been beaten in the first round nearly every year. I didn't notice that he has come into the tournament in poor form previously so it will be interesting to see how he goes this year.

Good luck with your selections.
By:
callitasucit
When: 19 Feb 14 14:58
Same to you NA.

7 selections seems alot in a 64 man field, but works out just over 4-1. I would rate it quite a bit shorter that one of them obliges.
By:
Kelly
When: 19 Feb 14 22:27
Traded out on Rory at 9/1 , so its a free bet at 5/1 . Some fightback by Gmac  , 4 down at one stage .
By:
huddys
When: 19 Feb 14 22:36
Some fightback alright by Gmac wonder what was his biggest price in running for his match earlier,Added Kuch outright at 16/1,very poor effort by Dustin today,
By:
Kelly
When: 20 Feb 14 11:09
Donald and Westwood were both easily dismissed yesterday , not too long ago they were both solidly in the top 5 in the world .  Wonder where they will finish this year ranking wise ?

Rose the only English player to survive , but he comes with  South African credentials .  Shades of the cricket !  The South Africans have done well so far  ,  will be following their progress as well as our lads .

Rory has drifted out to 10/1 , if he wins today he will be 6/1 max .
By:
callitasucit
When: 20 Feb 14 13:55
Harris English looks a standout bet at 13-8 to get past Rory. English shot a very impressive 6 under yesterday, Rory was over par, and wayward on occasion. I wouldn't want to be taking 8-13 on someone that will in all probability will need to find 4 or 5 shots on yesterdays round.

Also backing Coetzee to get past Reed at evens.

Happy enough with yesterdays results, the obvious exception being Donaldsons terrible display. That Gary Woodland is some choker.
By:
newapproach
When: 20 Feb 14 15:01
Great tipping on this thread as usual, everyone left with a few chance after the first day. I'm only left with three so I've added Charl Schwartzel in the hogan bracket. Hopefully he can get past furyk tonight and who knows after that.
By:
Pull Hard
When: 20 Feb 14 15:37
Is there a link anywhere to show what each player's score to par was in the first round? I'm struggling to find anything
By:
pa lapsy
When: 20 Feb 14 15:43
On the official site worldgolfchampionship.com the field sheet is laid out with the 64 players, double click on the players name to get their scores for 1st round.
Speith,Bubba and Rose for a 3/1 treb my interest for this evening. gl all.
By:
Pull Hard
When: 20 Feb 14 15:59
many thanks pa
By:
huddys
When: 20 Feb 14 22:44
Stil hanging in there delighted with the way Day fell over the line,never looked like winning,Kuch stil there aswell,going along nicely with the bracket winners even tho Dustin fell at the 1st hurdle againCry,well done call with the English bet against Rory
By:
huddys
When: 20 Feb 14 22:52
And the Coetzee selection aswell call,
By:
Ozymandius
When: 20 Feb 14 22:52
wd callit, 3/3 with the match bets so far!
By:
pa lapsy
When: 20 Feb 14 22:57
Excellent picking and reasoning on the Harris bet indeed, well done Callit.
By:
callitasucit
When: 20 Feb 14 23:06
Lady Luck shone on me tonight,.....hopefully she hasnt come too soon!!

Had trebles and up done with my 5 outright selections, Mahan, Kuch, Webb, Serg and Spieth. Few of them could have gone the wrong way. Very lucky overall. If i laid them all, i be giving out like a mother fu*8er!!
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 20 Feb 14 23:07
Callitasucit on song again.

The difference between Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy is remarkable.

McDowell less talented but is some battler,great match player great pressure putter and well nigh unbeatable in play offs.
McIlroy heartless poor under pressure,poor putter most times but dreadful under pressure and worse than useless in a play off.
By:
huddys
When: 20 Feb 14 23:13
Should be some match tomorrow Sergio against Fowler,
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 20 Feb 14 23:16
Kuchar Speith another cracker.
By:
huddys
When: 20 Feb 14 23:19
Yes another cracker alright Wildman,and you are bang on with what you said about Gmac and Rory,
By:
Kelly
When: 20 Feb 14 23:36
In defence of Rory tonight , the other guy played very well to get the nod over the line after being passed at the furlong pole . Gmac you just knew would always hang in there , he is some battler .

Not too worried about Rory's demise , he played a lot of good shots out there , something he didn't do  much last year . His putting was OK too ( what we saw anyway , did not miss any sitters ).  Seems to have regained a bit more control with his irons distance wise . I am happy to back him to trade again , something I didn't do last year .

Some great matches tonight , quite a few down the 19th .
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 20 Feb 14 23:40
There is a living to be made laying McIlroy.
By:
Kelly
When: 20 Feb 14 23:45
Think how much you would have made laying Tiger for every Major since 2008 , Wildman .
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 20 Feb 14 23:48
How much would you have lost previously though.
By:
Kelly
When: 20 Feb 14 23:55
Timing is everything , Wildman . For about 6 or 7 years I was a backer of Tiger , at shortish prices , averaging about 3/1 , sometimes in Majors .  Since he hurt his knee I have avoided backing him generally , even to trade .  Rory was brilliant for trading for about 3 years , but last year he did not look the part .  Think he might be getting back into more positive mode  from what I have seen in last few outings .
By:
callitasucit
When: 21 Feb 14 00:30
Personally, I just don't think matchplay 'does it' for Rory. I wouldn't worry about his early exit this week. Masters time is when he wants to peak, and he is coming along just nicely.

G Mac prob let off the hook a bit yesterday, didn't see much golf tonight, so not sure if Matsuyama gave him a helping hand. G Mac a dangerman now though. Would have preferred to see the back of him, and Day. Sorry Huddys!!

Bit worried that English might take Serg out. Quality player. Knows how to win.
By:
Distant View
When: 21 Feb 14 01:21
Slightly uncertain due to conceded holes, but these are the scores that I have for the second round;

Els +3
Dufner -1
Kuchar -1
Spieth -2
Mahan -2
GMac -4
Dubuisson -4
Watson -1
Oosthuizen -5
Simpson -6
Day -1
Coetzee +4
English -3
Furyk -2
Garcia -4
Fowler -4

Obviously some of these scores are not through 18 holes. In addition there were a few eagles which would only count as winning a hole but are 2 under in these scores.

Some shocking winning scores likes Els, which was obvious from the match and Coetzee which I was not aware of.

Horschel played a lot worse than Day 1 and made it much easier than he should have for Day who was +2 through 10 holes.

Bubba was -4 through 11 before making mistakes.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 21 Feb 14 11:27
Cheers DV, handy to see the scores like that.
By:
huddys
When: 21 Feb 14 22:22
What a idiot Sergio was should of gone 3 up after 7,
By:
Kelly
When: 21 Feb 14 23:45
Sergio will cop a lot of criticism for offering Fowler a half on the 7th .  Listened to Sergio being interviewed , know where he was coming from as there was a lot of messing going on at that hole due to bees nesting just short of green . Are bees a protected species ?  OK in hives , but living out on the  approach fringe of a green ?

Sergio obviously thought both of them were going to miss their putts , and took the shortcut to a half . Sergio did not give Fowler the putt , he called the whole as a half , both were lying 2 shots on the green  , one 20 feet away and one 10 feet away , neither putt a gimme . Credit to Fowler though , he played well over last stretch .

Gmac the bigger story though , unbelievable competitor . Pity we couldn't fuse his game with Rory's ball striking to produce a super winner !
By:
Distant View
When: 22 Feb 14 00:12
Scores from today

Oosthuizen        -6 thru 14
Day               -4 thru 14
Furyk             -3
Fowler            -3
Els               Level
Spieth            -6 thru 17
Gmac              Level
Dubuisson         +1

Furyk was +2 through 7 as was Els.

Gmac was + 2 thru 5

Fowler was also +1 through 8 so plenty of slow starts among the quarter finalist.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 22 Feb 14 00:16
Just snaffled some lunatic money trying to back Els,he can't keep running into players playing terrible.
By:
Distant View
When: 22 Feb 14 00:24
Unless he blows up tomorrow Spieth should take care of Ernie 4&3 or better. Ernie has played dire and as you say, has just been blessed to meet players well below their best.

Louis looks a little big at 13/10 in early prices against Day.

Can see Fowler getting back to the play from Thursday and getting away from Furyk early. Furyk is +3 for the first 7 holes on the week and can't keep getting away with starts like that.
By:
El Guerrouj
When: 22 Feb 14 00:32
Kelly, I suggest you check the putts again if you think Sergio's was 10 feet away... more like 4.
By:
Kelly
When: 22 Feb 14 00:47
Didn't see Sergio's ball before he marked it , El Guerrouj , thought what looked like his marker was a fair bit away . The shorter his putt the more advantage he gave up obviously . The media are always looking for stories , they made a big thing out of it , it was no big deal for me as it happened , just wondered what had transpired prior to Sergios suggestion they halved it . Pity Sir Nick didn't offer Graham Marsh a half that day at Wentworth  , Sergio would have .
Page 1 of 4  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com