Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
paulie wallnuts
18 Feb 14 12:15
| Topic/replies: 17,763 | Blogger: paulie wallnuts's blog
I know you will have the chest thumpers who will be saying how awful this episode is.....and what kind of impression this gives......but at the end of the day everybody knows what happens in this sport and almost every other sport for that matter.......
Greatness in animal training is defined because the trainer will have been able to administer something without detection.....that gave it an edge over its opposition.....
Greyhound trainers can be differentiated by their ability to get their animals to perform on the big stage......or perform when the need is greatest.......nobody surely believes that the top trainers are better than the others because they feed them better or walk them longer......and its much the same with horses......
People have been able to improve horses 4 stone from others.......now surely that cannot have come from eating nicer grass at his new home.....the Americans give them help.....the arabs do it.....the French and English do it......and surprise surprise the irish do it.....everybody does it.....and those who don't are left behind......its as simple as that.....
Pause Switch to Standard View Most people will feel genuine sorrow...
Show More
Report RoyalAcademy February 18, 2014 3:05 PM GMT
Have you ever heard a bookmaker complain about the integrity of Irish racing?

They bleed the game dry and as long as they make profits they care less if horses run on dope or not. A bookmaker-free society is where the doper pays.
Report silvergreaser February 18, 2014 3:22 PM GMT
RA, my changing of the F to a D just gives a slightly derogatory term for an organisation I have absolutely no respect for.

HRI/Turf Club never had/have any real intention of improving the integrity of their product, most of what they do is just token gestures as a sort of an appeasement to the general public to say that we're not sitting on our backsides all the time, but all they have ever been doing is appeasing the natives so much so virtually every rule that is broken is a mere slap on the wrist, when vested interests is the dominant force integrity becomes just a minor irritant that can be swept under the nearest rug as quick as you can say cheat!.
Report CheltenhamRoar February 18, 2014 4:00 PM GMT
Jesus it's little wonder why irish racing gets such a bad name judging by some of the attitudes towards drugs on here.
Report silvergreaser February 18, 2014 4:12 PM GMT
What I find funny Fenton has already appeared in court twice as regards this case yet not one racing journalist reported it until now?
Report tony57 February 18, 2014 4:18 PM GMT
yes silver..strange that..what little I know..is that the drugs involved are not thought to be performance enhancing?..now that may be a contradiction? but I bow to others better knowledge on the subject ...I may be wrong...
Report silvergreaser February 18, 2014 4:25 PM GMT
Pat Hughes appeared at Carlow district court last week and was adjourned to be heard on May 8th.

Of course they're performance enhancing Tony steroids are banned from all human competition, and one of these steroids in Fentons possession is rapidly excreted from the horses system which makes it harder to detect its use.
Report CheltenhamRoar February 18, 2014 4:27 PM GMT
Not performance enhancing???
Did u see Dunguib winning the Cheltenham Bumper?
Looks as suspicious as ever now.
Report dj876 February 18, 2014 4:47 PM GMT
1.Ben Johnson ----------------Vautour
2.Carl Lewis------------------The Tullow Tank
3.Linford Christie
4.Calvin Smith
5.Dennis Mitchell
6.Robson de Silva
7.Desai Williams
8.Ray Stewart

Is there any equivalent to Calvin smith in racing?
Report geoff m February 18, 2014 4:55 PM GMT
Tony
The first two of the eight charges Fenton faces relate to alleged possession of Nitrotain, a paste which contains the anabolic steroid ethylestranol, and Ilium Stanabolic, which contains the anabolic steroid stanozolol. Ethylestranol and stanozolol were the performance-enhancing drugs the former Godolphin trainer Mahmood al-Zarooni was found to have used on his horses when he was banished from racing for eight years last spring.
djs No!
Ben Johnson won the 100 metres olympic gold after taking stanozolol
Report geoff m February 18, 2014 4:56 PM GMT
should read djs No 1
Report brain dead jockeys February 18, 2014 6:55 PM GMT
i cant believe some of the posts on here..............you guys should have been working in the dept of finance during the boom................"a sure hes a nice lad, everything is fine, a sure its grand, leave him alone".................ITS AGAINST THE FCUKING RULES YOU NOBENDS...............IF HE WAS FROM DUBAI AND TRAINED ZILLION DOLLAR TWO YEAR OLDS.................WOULD U BE SAYING SOMETHING DIFF?...............o i forgot hes one of our own isnt he...............you guys should become civil servants..............guards maybe, and turn your head wheever you see wrong doing..............actually, why dont you lot run for the dail and fiddle your vat returns like that clown from offaly................become minsters even and run the place into the ground. nice and cosy country isnt it lads.............no wonder we are on this mess....................
Report paulie wallnuts February 18, 2014 7:14 PM GMT
brain dead .....you are well named......only a couple of weeks since the coursing in clonmel......where a greyhound on its penultimate spin is carried off after looking like it got a belt of a car.....then an hour or so later.....it leads them a merry dance as fresh as paint......to great cheers from the crowd......
Every single person inside that gate knew well what happened......but they cheered to a man.....
likewise horses will be storming up the hill at Cheltenham in 3 weeks time......and they will be higher than shane McGowan ever was.....its a reality that people choose to ignore.....
history is littered with both human and animal "superstars" who everyone knew were getting a boost.....the irish had plenty of them too.....cyclists....swimmers.....athletes.....even some of the most famous athletes to this day run with more than a cloud of suspicion.......the only difference between a hero and a villain.....is when he/she is actually exposed.....
Report workrider February 18, 2014 7:29 PM GMT
Those doggie men eh Paulie , you'd never be up to them ...Laugh
Report Roger De Bris February 18, 2014 7:43 PM GMT
clenbuterol was used by the first big winners in Ireland of the big UK races....
Report tony57 February 18, 2014 8:25 PM GMT
thanks for putting me straight lads..i thought the stuff he had was more for injuries, but it looks like hes in trouble...why are the giggy mob so behind him if hes bang to rights?..
Report penzance February 18, 2014 8:48 PM GMT
Last Instalment,will he be able to
run @Cheltenham?
cheers.
Report brain dead jockeys February 18, 2014 9:15 PM GMT
penzance.............that horse has not tested positive for anything so he will run if they want to...........any punishment given to fenton will be mths away so he will be able to run his horses untill then.
Report penzance February 18, 2014 9:20 PM GMT
tx
Report one to note February 18, 2014 10:52 PM GMT
Have the BHA any powers whereby they can refuse to accept entries from a trainer ????
Report ffs February 19, 2014 8:59 AM GMT
yes
Report paulie wallnuts February 19, 2014 10:18 AM GMT
not in this instance they haven't though......the BHA has about as much power as a 6 month old 40 watt bulb.....firstly the case will not be decided for months.....and when it does he will be exonerated......
Report frankalsoran60 February 19, 2014 10:29 AM GMT
SECOND trainer is alleged to be facing charges over the possession of prohibited substances including anabolic steroids.

It emerged on Wednesday morning that Cheltenham Festival and Irish Grand National-winning trainer Pat Hughes is due in court in May after substances, allegedly including Stanozol, were found at his stable in County Carlow.

The news comes just two days after it was revealed Philip Fenton, the trainer of Gold Cup hope Last Instalment, will appear in court on Thursday charged with possession of two anabolic steroids as well as a number of antibiotics without prescription.

According to The Telegraph, Hughes appeared in Carlow District Court on February 13 on eight charges of possession of banned animal remedies, including the anabolic steroid Stanozol. The case was adjourned until May 8.

Like Fenton, the case is allegedly being brought by the Ministry of Agriculture, who paid a visit to the trainer's yard on February 2 2012.

Quoted by The Telegraph, Hughes said: "They have nothing to go on. I don't know whether they've called it off completely or not."

Denis Egan, the chief executive of the Irish Turf Club, said: "We are aware that Pat Hughes has appeared in court. It is on our radar."
Report ffs February 19, 2014 10:35 AM GMT
The BHA won't let his horses run, it's their jurisdiction and their decision. To race in a foreign country you need the permission of that nation's governing body - if it's guilty on Thurs then lights out.
Report Ozymandius February 19, 2014 10:38 AM GMT
The case won't be heard on Thursday.
Report silvergreaser February 19, 2014 10:39 AM GMT
The British Horseracing Authority said it would be closely monitoring events in Ireland, with Cheltenham, the National Hunt season’s showpiece event, on the horizon."

Which would suggest to me that the BHA have powers to refuse entries from a person convicted in a court of law?.

It will most likely be adjourned again anyway and Fenton will probably but up a few quid to charity and get the case dismissed on its merits like Hughes brother the ex vet who was guilty as sin.
Report paulie wallnuts February 19, 2014 10:41 AM GMT
ffs......are you listening to anybody ffs......this case will not be decided for months....maybe years......last instalment will be retired by the time this is over.....
Report Arklearkle February 19, 2014 10:46 AM GMT
..... with about 3 Gold Cups.
Report ffs February 19, 2014 10:49 AM GMT
Ozymandius

The case won't be heard on Thursday.

Even if not, they can still refuse him, he's been charged with the offence and that could well be enough.
Report paulie wallnuts February 19, 2014 10:54 AM GMT
ffs.....will ya stop ffs.....yer well named.....what a load of cobblers.....they can stop a man entering a horse because he has been charged with something.....
Report ffs February 19, 2014 10:56 AM GMT
they can stop a man for pretty much any reason they like - it's their race
Report frankalsoran60 February 19, 2014 10:59 AM GMT
im sure you are right ffs..but for Personal reasons i hope your not.Plain
Report ffs February 19, 2014 11:06 AM GMT
that's fair enough Frankalsoran, I'm gutted as anyone, but the reality is this:

Sheikh Mohammed who has invested probably £1bn in British bloodstock closed his prized Moulton Paddocks for a season over the very same drugs Fenton is charged with possessing.

Now innocent until proven guilty is fine, but temporary suspensions while being investigated are also commonplace,

and how do you think Sheikh Mohammed is going to feel about Fenton whistling off back to Eire with the Gold Cup ?

or the Aussies who were bullied into falling into line with the 'new clean regime' ...
Report J.R.Hartley February 19, 2014 11:06 AM GMT
Unfortunately this is where the BHA differ from the Turf club....the BHA can refuse entries from anyone but generally will only do so if the individual is charged by themselves i.e Fallon case.
The Turf club go the innocent until proven guilty route.
Report paulie wallnuts February 19, 2014 11:14 AM GMT
ive never read such bollloxx talk in all my days.....sheikh mohammed my whole....he closed down fukk all....how do you think most people look at sheikh mohammed......any one with a semblance of a brain.....
Report ffs February 19, 2014 11:20 AM GMT
I know the BHA look at Sheikh Mohammed and see about 1000 jobs around Newmarket.
Report frankalsoran60 February 19, 2014 11:20 AM GMT
Easy on Paulie ..its only people giving there Opinions m8,Happy
Report kingrat February 20, 2014 12:51 PM GMT
from what i have heard,the dept of agriculture have got fenton banged to rights and he will be convicted.if people on here like it or not,his reputation will be in tatters and  the irish turf will have no option but to hang fenton out to dry.
Report workrider February 20, 2014 3:53 PM GMT
Well tell us then Compo , what did you hear....?
Report kingrat February 20, 2014 4:47 PM GMT
confidentiality old sport.Winksurely as an ex civil servant,u have heard of and signed up to the official secrets act.
Report workrider February 20, 2014 4:57 PM GMT
Of course i have Compo , like all good civil servants i had the honour ...Seems silly coming on here spouting as if you knew something , having worked in that department myself i'd be keeping my mouth shut till i was certain , they have been known to make the odd **** up...
Report frankalsoran60 February 20, 2014 5:03 PM GMT
hope its sorted before cheltenham 2015.Sad
Report kingrat February 20, 2014 5:10 PM GMT
i am just letting the lads know the score, wr.Wink
Report workrider February 20, 2014 5:15 PM GMT
Well in case you haven't noticed Compo , most on here seem to have come to that conclusion already...
Report kingrat February 20, 2014 5:22 PM GMT
the lads need confirmation,u know what i mean?chump!Wink
Report workrider February 20, 2014 5:24 PM GMT
Oh I see , Sorry Compo , thanks for that INSIDE information....
Report kingrat February 20, 2014 7:27 PM GMT
no worries wr,we cant be all in the know.i suppose when  u retire, u are reduced to scuffling around the paddock,cocking yre ear here and there,hoping to pick up some solid info.
Report workrider February 20, 2014 8:04 PM GMT
Who said i was retired ....?
Report frankalsoran60 February 23, 2014 7:28 PM GMT
PHILIP FENTON trained his first winner since the anabolic steroids controversy broke this week when Real Steel raced to a clear-cut win under Brian O'Connell.

Victory for the 7-1 chance offered Fenton some relief from the scrutiny he has faced following the revelation that he faces court proceedings brought by the Department of Agriculture following seizure of steroids at his stables in 2012.

A court hearing in County Tipperary on Thursday ended with the case being adjourned until March 20, after the conclusion of the Cheltenham Festival.

Real Steel races for Gigginstown House Stud whose owner Michael O'Leary has voiced his strong support for Fenton as he fights the charges over possession of banned substances.

Vicky De L'Oasis, the 13-8 favourite, came home three and a quarter lengths behind in second with Minella Foru third at 12-1.

O'Connell said of the winner: "We have always thought a lot of this horse. He's a free-going type so you are better off leaving him in front. It was a good staying performance from him."

Real Steel has no entries at the Cheltenham Festival and Fenton said he had not been expecting a win.

"He was the lowest-rated going into the race so we didn't think he'd be good enough to win it," said the trainer. "He's a chaser for next season. He's huge."
Report tony57 February 23, 2014 7:58 PM GMT
ive looked at this for the last few days now and i'm thinking if this was as serious as made out the giggy mob would be taking their horses away?..eddie has said its a storm in a teacup?..he knows what's going on ..so when this all comes out in the wash I don't think fenton will be banned in any way...what o'leary said today on atr was right..why has it taken 2yrs to come out or to prosecute?
Report silvergreaser February 23, 2014 8:03 PM GMT
It's deadly serious ffs Tony but racing will always circle the wagons to defend one of their own and the racing media would almost die of shock at the sheer thought of writing something critical about one of the natives.
Report tony57 February 23, 2014 8:06 PM GMT
silver I understand where your coming from , we all want a clean sport..but you have to have doubts of the mans guilt when its taken 2yrs to prosecute..and eddie o,leary would not be standing by the trainer when he could easily put his horses to another yard..im not saying something is not wrong silver obviously there is..what I mean is I think the trainer wont be found guilty of trying to dope his string..
Report mrcombustible February 23, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
Why would any trainer have steroids on the premises?

From Greg Wood/Guardian
Last week's adjournment of the court case against the trainer Philip Fenton, who faces charges in Ireland of illegally possessing various drugs including anabolic steroids, places both the British Horseracing Authority and Cheltenham racecourse in a position which has no entirely positive outcomes.

If Fenton's chaser Last Instalment lines up for the Gold Cup on 14 March, a few days before the trainer's next scheduled court appearance, he will do so under a thick cloud of suspicion. If he should win – and he is likely to start third-favourite – then the horse, trainer and Last Instalment's owner, Michael O'Leary, will be fortunate if they escape being jeered all the way back to the top enclosure.

Should the BHA try to prevent Fenton sending horses to Cheltenham, however, O'Leary has both the money and, in all likelihood, the inclination to drag them off to court, raising the stakes still higher just a few days before National Hunt's showpiece meeting.

Cheltenham, meanwhile, might need to find a new sponsor for the Grade One Ryanair Chase if O'Leary, the airline's chief executive, takes offence. It also faces the prospect of seeing its most famous fixture tainted by association, with the issue of drugs and steroids dominating coverage of what is supposed to be a showcase event for the track and National Hunt racing as a whole.

There seems to be little chance that O'Leary, having had a few days to reflect, will decide to follow the lead of Barry Connell, who announced last week that The Tullow Tank, a leading contender for a Grade One novice hurdle at the Festival, will not run until Fenton's court case is resolved. Both O'Leary and his brother Eddie, who acts as his racing manager, made it clear last week that in their opinion, since Fenton is presumed innocent until proven guilty, he must be allowed to carry on as normal. Attention now switches to the BHA, which has taken time to think things through and is expected to announce how it intends to proceed in the early part of this week.

In the wake of the separate Mahmood al-Zarooni and Sungate steroid doping scandals last year, the BHA's anti-doping regime is still a work in progress. It wants to introduce more testing, both at the track and, in particular, in training yards, and is also considering how to track and regulate horses which are not actively in training at a licensed yard but are likely to join one at some point in the future. Some form of licensing for pre-training facilities – which would allow horses there to be drug-tested – may be imminent as a result.

In terms of the immediate threat of a PR catastrophe at Cheltenham, the need for action is urgent and if the regulators truly appreciate the magnitude of the threat which anabolic steroids pose to the sport, there is really just one course of action open to them. A doctor accused of gross negligence does not continue in his practice before the case is heard by the British Medical Association, and neither should a trainer found with anabolic steroids in their yard be allowed to saddle horses in Britain until the BHA has fully established how and why the drugs came to be there.

Steroids are the most pernicious and dangerous of all the many drugs which can be used to corrupt the integrity of racing. The BHA floated an idea last week that Fenton's horses might be dope-tested before being allowed to compete, but this insults the intelligence of any punter or racegoer who appreciates the difference between a bog-standard stimulant and an anabolic steroid.

Stimulants, as a rule, need to be administered before a race and will show up in a dope test as a result. Steroids are different. Their positive effect on an athlete's physique and ability to absorb hard exercise can persist for weeks or even months after the drug itself has cleared the system. That is why steroids are so often the drug of choice for cheats.

The substances alleged to have been found at Fenton's stable a little over two years ago could all be described as medicines in certain circumstances, but there is simply no reason, or excuse, why licensed trainers should have anabolic steroids on their premises in the first place.

There is enough evidence already in the public domain to strongly suggest that Fenton had steroids at his yard in 2012, and that alone should be enough to ensure that the BHA refuses to accept entries or declarations from his yard, or for horses recently transferred from his yard, until the reasons why he had the drugs are fully explained.

The BHA's failure to provide a credible account of the al-Zarooni scandal has been a running theme in this column for 10 months now, but here is a chance to put down a marker and start afresh. The most effective weapons in the war against anabolic steroids will be constant vigilance and zero tolerance.
Report mrcombustible February 23, 2014 8:12 PM GMT
And Greg Wood again
Michael O'Leary, who races one of the biggest strings of jumps horses in Ireland under the banner of his Gigginstown Stud, said on Sunday that a high-profile drugs and steroid case involving his trainer Philip Fenton is "unfortunate" so close to the Cheltenham Festival, but that he feels "duty-bound" to support Fenton and has "no reason to doubt his innocence".

Speaking after the Fenton-trained Real Steel had taken a Grade Two novice hurdle at Naas, O'Leary confirmed that the stable's chaser Last Instalment remains an intended runner in the Gold Cup at Cheltenham on 14 March, while stating that "if it ever did come to light that any Gigginstown horse had been given any prohibited substances, we would not tolerate that".

Fenton is expected to send at least three fancied runners to the Festival meeting next month, a few days before his next scheduled court appearance to face charges of possessing anabolic steroids and other banned substances.

"Last Instalment will run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, providing the ground is not good or faster," O'Leary said. "He has glass legs and we wouldn't risk him on fast ground.

"The timing of this whole episode is very unfortunate, coming so close to Cheltenham. It's tough for Philip, but we feel duty-bound to support him. Whatever substances have been found that is for Philip to deal with, but there is no reason for us to doubt his innocence."
Report silvergreaser February 23, 2014 8:21 PM GMT
but there is no reason for us to doubt his innocence."?

Err the evidence is damning ffs do you think the Dept of Agriculture would go to the bother of bringing Fenton to court for having some old beer cans in his possession?
Report tony57 February 23, 2014 8:39 PM GMT
but silver..answer me something..why has it taken 2yrs ffs?
Report silvergreaser February 23, 2014 8:45 PM GMT
Irish justice system nothing more nothing less Tony, the wheels of justice is usually a slow grind in this country.
Report kingrat February 23, 2014 10:20 PM GMT
fenton is all washed up!he just doesn't know it yet.Wink
Report tony57 February 24, 2014 9:30 AM GMT
I can't have that silver..the doa raid his yard..find drugs..but don't inform the turf club?..then it takes 2 yrs for it to come out and before they decide they have enough for a prosecution!doesn't smell right to me...
Report silvergreaser February 24, 2014 11:15 AM GMT
Tony I presume the Department of Agriculture would have to take great care in preparing their case before putting it in front of the courts and then its in the lap of the gods as to how quickly the case comes in front of the court.

It must be said Tony that Fenton had already appeared twice in front of the court before last weeks adjournment, but for some strange reason nobody in the media got wind of it or did and didn't bother to report it?.

The British media has made a bigger fuss of it than their Irish counterparts.

The Department of Agriculture were under no obligation to report it to the Turf Club as its a civilian case, but I find it hard to believe that the Turf Club were not aware of Fenton and Hughes impending court hearings until recently?, my take on it is they knew about it but said nothing and have fed the media a bunch of crap.

Anyway Fenton hasnt even made a plea yet, he didn't even turn up for last weeks hearing seem to know in advance that the Judge would adjourn once again?, and when he appears in court in March he will probably enter a plea of guilty or not guilty and then it will be yet another postponement most likely?.
Report tony57 February 24, 2014 11:36 AM GMT
maybe your right silver..after all you know your own system more than me..
Report geoff m February 24, 2014 3:57 PM GMT
BHA Finally get off their @rse.
THE steroids controversy surrounding trainer Phiilp Fenton took a dramatic turn on Monday when the BHA revealed it is sending a drug-testing team to his County Tipperary stable.

However, the regulatory body at the same time stressed that should the results come back clear, it would not necessarily mean Fenton's Cheltenham raiding party led by Gold Cup third favourite Last Instalment would be allowed to run at Prestbury Park in a fortnight's time.

Allways a good idea to announce your coming eh??
Report J.R.Hartley February 24, 2014 6:11 PM GMT
British drug-testing team sent to Tipp!!!!!.....first Cromwell now this ffs.......I can just imagine the pompous tw@ts striding down the centre of

Fethard...brief cases at the ready......Laugh
Report Ozymandius February 24, 2014 6:50 PM GMT

No Brit is passing my gate.
Report silvergreaser February 24, 2014 7:08 PM GMT
Are the BHA for real?

Why after all the controversy the last thing Fenton would be putting in his horses is banned substances.
Report mrcombustible February 24, 2014 7:14 PM GMT
They are also going to interview him about what charges he faces etc so there is no guarantee they will be allowed to run when they pass the drugs test
Report frankalsoran60 February 24, 2014 7:16 PM GMT
Philip Fenton intends to assist the British Horseracing Authority in "every way" after officials announced they are to visit the trainer's County Tipperary yard in order to interview him and conduct tests on horses in his care holding Cheltenham Festival entries.

Fenton has been in the headlines in recent days after being charged with possessing unlicensed substances, including anabolic steroids, following a visit to his yard by the Department of Agriculture in January 2012, with a court case adjourned until next month.

His horses on track for Cheltenham include former Champion Bumper winner Dunguib in the Coral Cup and Irish Hennessy hero Last Instalment, who is third-favourite for the Betfred Gold Cup.

Fenton told Press Association Sport: "I'm very pleased, and I shall assist them in every way.

"The sooner the better."
Report silvergreaser February 24, 2014 7:29 PM GMT
We're in keystone cops territory here, this is comical stuff.

Who is advising the BHA an idiot or a caveman?
Report workrider February 24, 2014 7:38 PM GMT
Can you image the laugh the brits would have if we decided to tell one of their trainers we were heading over to test one of them ....You couldn't make it up...Laugh
Report silvergreaser February 24, 2014 8:05 PM GMT
Workrider have they jurisdiction anyway?, but lets be honest Fenton is going to stuff his horses full of drugs just so the BHA tester can get a positive?

Seriously are these guys for real, seriously?
Report mrcombustible February 24, 2014 8:13 PM GMT
Maybe O'Leary has headhunted Simon Crisford, after all he is an expert in the field of defending steroids .

Bizarre times we are living in
Report frankalsoran60 February 24, 2014 8:18 PM GMT
IT would make a good Episode for the Irish R.M.Laugh
Report Ozymandius February 25, 2014 11:08 AM GMT
The Brits are going to get some land when Last Installment trots out of his box as bald as a coot, with every hair shorn off.
Report silvergreaser February 25, 2014 11:13 AM GMT
Very funny ozy, picture the scene down in Fentons yard 20 bald horses, so bald the BHA would have a damn hard job trying to actually find a hair.
Report oufies pal February 25, 2014 1:25 PM GMT
Laugh
Report never give up October 23, 2014 4:28 PM BST
23 Oct 2014 16:04
A well-known Co Tipperary racehorse trainer has been found guilty of having performance-enhancing drugs and other animal remedies at his stables.
Philip Fenton, 49, from Garryduff, South Lodge, Carrick-on-Suir was found guilty on charges relating to having treatments and remedies found by Department of Agriculture officials following a search of his yard in January 2012.
Carrick District Court was told this morning that veterinary officers from the Special Investigation Unit found and seized more than 20 items when they carried out a search.
The items included prohibited steroids, including the steroid Nitrotain, a bottle of a performance-enhancing drug Ilium Stanabolic, a counterfeit medicine and drugs held without prescription.
Brendan Daly of the department told the court the items were found in a cardboard box, which had been hidden under a rug in an area beside the medicine's store.
Mr Daly said that when he asked Mr Fenton why the box had been hidden in such a way, the defendant told him it was to lessen the effects of the inspection.
Under cross examination, Mr Daly admitted that he had not taken an exhibit sheet with him on the search; nor had he brought identifying labels and that he had brought the box of materials home with him but had left them in a secure room at his house.
His defence accused the inspectors of breaking protocols in a totally unacceptable manner in carrying out the search.
The judge found the accused guilty on all eight charges and has fined him nearly €10,000.
Mr Fenton has been fined €1,000 each on six of the eight charges, with two being taken into consideration.
The racehorse trainer was also told to pay €2,000 costs as well as €2,200 expenses.
The total fine amounts to more than €10,000.
A representative of the Turf Club said after the guilty verdict that it will be launching its own investigation and will be taking the appropriate steps.
Report Kelly October 23, 2014 5:48 PM BST
Amateur stuff all round . Does not cover anyone in glory , in fact it decreases faith in the "system"  , assuming there is one .  Just waiting for Michel*e to go to the loo .
Report mrcombustible October 24, 2014 9:24 AM BST
Anyone know what the penalties are if the Turf Club uphold the verdict of the court? Have had a look at the rules and there does not appear to be set penalties

273. (i) Any person who administers or attempts to administer or causes
to be administered or connives at the administration to a Horse of
any Prohibited Substance shall be guilty of a breach of these
Rules and may be declared a disqualified person or otherwise
penalised by the Referrals Committee or the Appeals Body, as
the case may be, in accordance with its powers under these
Rules.
Any person who interferes with, or obstructs, or attempts to
interfere with or obstruct the taking of Samples from a Horse
pursuant to Rule 18 or Rule 20 (xviii), or interferes or tampers
with such a Sample once taken, shall be guilty of a breach of
these Rules and may be declared a disqualified person or
otherwise penalised by the Referrals Committee or the Appeals
Body, as the case may be, in accordance with its powers under
these Rules.
(ii) It shall be a breach of these Rules for any person to give or offer
Report workrider October 24, 2014 9:39 AM BST
The main worry for Phillip I'd imaging would be to become a disqualified person , could be a life sentence ...
Report TheFear October 24, 2014 10:43 AM BST
F*ckin hell he could shoot someone he wouldn't get a life ban in irish racing.

He should get a lengthy ban but 1.01 a slap on the wrist.
Report paulie wallnuts October 24, 2014 10:54 AM BST
Its beyond doubt that fenton will receive a ban.....the word is it will be a minimum of 2 years and up to a maximum of 5.....either way that spells big trouble for Philip....
Maybe he can do what Burke and Blockley did in Britain and train away as if nothing happened.....but if he cant....and the Irish authorities close off that option.....then Philip Fenton's career is officially over.....
Report tony57 October 25, 2014 5:56 PM BST
don't know what he,ll do but like over here he,ll get someone to take over the licence?..who the turf club say is ok?..we all know how its done..paulie has explained it..but he should be banned for the same as al zarooni
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 25, 2014 6:55 PM BST
workrider  • February 18, 2014 12:21 PM GMT 
I'd wait for the verdict Paulie before putting the nail in his coffin ..Dastardly business this , if found guilty then by all means give him whats coming , but maybe there is a simple answer ..The old saying innocent till proven guilty is not getting much of an airing on here atm ...

YOUR CALL
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 31, 2014 1:30 PM GMT
?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 11, 2014 8:39 PM GMT
?
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2014 11:51 PM GMT
One of the main players has been declared a disqualified person,deeply ironic as he complained about a spud dealer and got him warned off leading to him being escorted out of Cheltenham.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 22, 2014 6:53 PM GMT
Still YOUR CALL
Report paulie wallnuts November 22, 2014 7:44 PM GMT
Still who's call?.... And call about what exactly?....
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 22, 2014 10:58 PM GMT
workrider  • February 18, 2014 12:21 PM GMT 
I'd wait for the verdict Paulie before putting the nail in his coffin ..Dastardly business this , if found guilty then by all means give him whats coming , but maybe there is a simple answer ..The old saying innocent till proven guilty is not getting much of an airing on here atm ...

WR's CALL
Report workrider November 22, 2014 11:05 PM GMT
what do you think i should say catch...? read he's been given a ban .
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 23, 2014 12:26 AM GMT
Philip Fenton has been disqualified from holding a trainer's licence for three years following a Turf Club hearing.
Fenton was called before officials after being found guilty of possessing anabolic steroids and other banned substances at a district court hearing last month.

A cardboard box packed with 25 bottles and containers of animal remedies was found hidden in the horse spa in his yard in County Tipperary during a search by officials from the Department of Agriculture in January 2012.
Among them was one kilo of the anabolic steroid Nitrotain in a paste form in a black tub - enough for 250 doses - and a 20ml bottle of a second performance-enhancing drug Ilium Stanabolic.

Fenton was fined 6,000 euro as well as being ordered to pay a further 4,200 euro in costs following the case.
The Cheltenham Festival-winning trainer did not give evidence in the one-day hearing in Carrick-on-Suir District Court and refused to explain afterwards why he had the steroids in his yard.

Fenton's disqualification period from training horses will begin from midnight on Friday, November 28.
On March 1 next year he will be disqualified entirely from any horseracing environment.

Fenton's solicitor pleaded for a financial punishment, rather than disqualification, but a Turf Club panel felt the severity of the offence was of sufficient gravity to hand out a three-year suspension.
Head of the panel Tony Hunt said Fenton would still have the right to appeal.

The 49-year-old trainer enjoyed great success with Dunguib, who won the 2009 Champion Bumper at Cheltenham, and Last Instalment, but those two horses have since been retired.
The Tullow Tank was another flag-bearer for the yard, but he has already been transferred from Fenton's stables by owner Barry Connell.
Powerful owners Gigginstown House Stud also removed the three horses they had in training with Fenton, including the Grade Two-winning Real Steel.
Fenton had a runner at Gowran on Saturday when Ange D'Or Javilex finished third in a two-mile novice hurdle.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 23, 2014 12:28 AM GMT
3 years and 10 grand and right to appeal
Report workrider November 23, 2014 12:39 AM GMT
even if he wins his appeal catch , he'll find it hard to attract owners ...end of story i'd say.....
Report The Gotchee November 23, 2014 10:57 AM GMT
He got off lightly with a slap on the wrist. He should have got a life ban
Report Oceanfinance November 23, 2014 2:06 PM GMT
Do the HRI normally sit on a Saturday? Seems a blatant attempt to bury the news on a busy Saturday/Sunday. Misguided.
Report gutfeeling November 23, 2014 2:22 PM GMT
Feel no sympathy for drug dealers myself, Got off very lightly.
Report kingrat November 24, 2014 7:25 PM GMT
The reality is,the dept is doing the turf club job here.the dept got a lot of criticism within the industry over this case.they did what was right and exposed the turf club and not only that,serious questions that were rumour,gossip about the turf club has now got traction and creditibility.so what the fck is really going on in the turf club.
Report carrot1960 November 24, 2014 9:13 PM GMT
And yet Zarooni received 8 years
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 24, 2014 9:19 PM GMT
Just lookin at the Drinmore entries I see Band Of Blood previously Philip Fenton, now with Mouse.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 28, 2014 11:02 AM GMT
Appeal against his three-year ban will be heard at the Turf Club at 10am on Tuesday, December 16th.
Report mrcombustible November 28, 2014 2:02 PM GMT
Hope he gets a longer ban for having the cheek to appeal a very light penalty and they should hit him for costs
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com