Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
frankalsoran60
17 Feb 14 12:38
| Topic/replies: 8,287 | Blogger: frankalsoran60's blog
LEADING Irish jumps trainer is due to appear before Carrick-on-Suir district court on Thursday charged with possession of prohibited animal remedies.

A search of the trainer's yard by the department of agriculture is alleged to have found the animal remedies and a spokesman for the department has confirmed that a hearing will take place this week, watched closely by the Turf Club.

Denis Egan - Turf Club
Denis Egan: "we will be paying close attention to what happens"

"The department of agriculture, food and the marine confirms that a hearing is scheduled for Carrick-on-Suir district court on Thursday, February 20," the spokesman said.

"Charges are being brought under the Animal Remedies legislation alleging offences relating to possession of animal remedies."

Turf Club chief executive Denis Egan added: "The case involves banned animal remedies. We don’t know yet the precise nature of these products. But we will be paying close attention to what happens."

The department of agriculture's statement went on to state the potential seriousness of the charges.

"A person who commits one of the offences above is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months or to both."
Pause Switch to Standard View Top Irish trainer facing drugs charges
Show More
Report neill d February 17, 2014 1:07 PM GMT
We got em Sil... we got em.
Report paulie wallnuts February 17, 2014 1:42 PM GMT
Silver has given this man a few mentions to be fair.....
Report Dan Chipowski February 17, 2014 1:44 PM GMT
He may even have a drink to celebrate. MischiefGrin
Report tony57 February 17, 2014 1:52 PM GMT
who is it?
Report frankalsoran60 February 17, 2014 2:14 PM GMT
If you have nothing to do on thursday morning Tony be outside Carrick-on-Suir district court , we all have our Suspicions but they say seeing is beliveing.
Report tony57 February 17, 2014 2:23 PM GMT
lol..thanks frank..
Report CheltenhamRoar February 17, 2014 2:35 PM GMT
ph.
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 2:44 PM GMT
I think you have one of your initials wrong CheltenhamRoar.
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 2:52 PM GMT
I am only guessing and he would make sense because of the prior case with his brother but hardly a leading trainer and why is it on in Carrick on Suir??He trains near Carlow?
Report mrcombustible February 17, 2014 3:04 PM GMT
Don't know why it is a secret if the said person has been charged, agree that you would not call Pat Hughes a leading trainer. Who are the leading trainers in Co Waterford?
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 3:13 PM GMT
There is only one leading jumps trainer that trains near Carrick on Suir and he has previous form but I am not going to start naming out trainers when I would be only guessing.

Pat Hughes hasn't had a winner in 10 months but its probably written by a non-racing journalist,just unusual its on in Carrrick and Suir and he trains in Carlow?.
Report Dan Chipowski February 17, 2014 3:14 PM GMT
Aren't Glenbower stables in Carrick on Suir? Plain
Report oufies pal February 17, 2014 3:19 PM GMT
DJ, if its your guy with the  one initial wrong he has previous with the Dept of Ag.Adjoining county though so may be someone else .
Report richters February 17, 2014 3:20 PM GMT
TOMMY Berry enjoyed yet another successful hit-and-run trip to Hong Kong last night after he bagged a Group 1 on Designs On Rome.
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 3:45 PM GMT
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/case-against-veterinary-inspector-dismissed-1.1618612

A case in which well-known racehorse trainer Patrick Hughes is accused of possession of unauthorised animal remedies was adjourned to December 18th, at Carlow District Court yesterday.

The above is the opening part of this link,the case was adjourned until December 18th at Carlow District Court,
I am not that up to date with court proceedings but would it be normal for court cases to be transferred to different District Courts?
Report Deise59 February 17, 2014 4:43 PM GMT
Be interesting to see if he's 2 main owners make any changes
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 5:04 PM GMT
Gigginstown and Barry Connnell
Report BJG February 17, 2014 5:55 PM GMT
Its Philip Fenton
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 5:55 PM GMT
The training career of Philip Fenton hangs in the balance as he faces a court appearance on Thursday on charges of possessing anabolic steroids and other banned substances. The Irishman has had praise heaped on him in recent weeks for the way in which he has been able to revive the careers of Last Instalment and Dunguib, both expected to run at next month's Cheltenham Festival.

It is believed that Fenton denies the charges, though he said he could not discuss the case in detail when contacted by telephone on Monday at his stable at Carrick On Suir, near Waterford. Asked if he would be able to sustain his training operation in the face of such potentially devastating legal proceedings, he laughed and said: "I'm sure I'll be fine".

The first two of the eight charges Fenton faces relate to alleged possession of Nitrotain, a paste which contains the anabolic steroid ethylestranol, and Ilium Stanabolic, which contains the anabolic steroid stanozolol. Ethylestranol and stanozolol were the performance-enhancing drugs which ex-Godolphin trainer Mahmood al-Zarooni was found to have used on his horses when he was banished from racing for eight years last spring.

If found guilty of any one charge, Fenton would be liable to a fine not exceeding ¤5,000 or a term of imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both, according to the Irish Department of Agriculture, which initiated proceedings. The summons dates Fenton's alleged possession at 18 January 2012, suggesting this matter has been hanging over his head for more than two years. He has already appeared in court twice in connection with this matter, though those proceedings have gone unreported.

Potentially the most serious consequences for Fenton would be the reaction of the sport's ruling body. A spokesman for the Irish Turf Club said that, if anyone was found guilty of such charges, disciplinary proceedings would be initiated immediately.

The remaining court charges against Fenton relate to possession of drugs without a relevant prescription, the substances being listed as Engemycin 10%, Neomycin Penicillin, Betamoz LA and Marbocyl 10%. It is understood these drugs are typically used to combat infection in animals.

Fenton made his name with Dunguib, who shocked the Cheltenham Festival crowd in 2009 when winning the Champion Bumper by 10 lengths. Injury problems kept him on the sidelines for almost three years but he won a Grade Two race at Navan on Sunday and is expected to contest a handicap at the Festival next month, when his popularity will ensure he has plenty of backers.

But he is no longer the biggest name in the yard, since Last Instalment is third-favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup itself. He recently won the Irish Gold Cup on his second run after an injury-enforced absence of two years. Fenton was thought likely to be a prominent figure at the Festival before this latest news broke, as he also has The Tullow Tank for one of the week's novice hurdle events.

Fenton has run foul of the sport's rules on drugs in the past, when Dunguib was disqualified from a Grade One win at Punchestown in 2009. The horse tested positive for a banned substance, which Fenton said came from worming medicine intended for another horse. The trainer was fined ¤3,000.
Report richters February 17, 2014 5:57 PM GMT
disregard my post earlier where i got my waterford pf s wrong....
Report The Gotchee February 17, 2014 5:59 PM GMT
Why would people get on here guessing? If you are not sure dj876 or can't enlighten us then keep quiet. I seem to remember you were on here guessing about the Davy Russell sacking as well. "A shut mouth catches no flies"
Report dj876 February 17, 2014 6:10 PM GMT
No trainer was mentioned the Gotchee apart from Pat Hughes (which wasn't made by me and he faces a case anyhow)

I suggested that if the case was on in Carrick on Suir ,it was probable that he trained in the vicinity and there is only one leading NH trainer that trains near there.

What exactly have you got a problem with what I have posted or you just being your usual cantankerous self?
Report frankalsoran60 February 17, 2014 6:13 PM GMT
IF Philip fenton is found guilty does this mean that last Last Instalment may NOT be allowed to take part in the gold cup in cheltenham, i had a good bet on L.I. after his last run, im sure im not the only one. Plain
Report maxheadroom February 17, 2014 6:15 PM GMT
remember dunguibs bumper win at cheltenham had a touch of the ben johnsons about it.
Report frankalsoran60 February 17, 2014 6:17 PM GMT
The gotchee , DJ is correct in his remarks, i think an Apology is in order m8.
Report paulie wallnuts February 17, 2014 6:40 PM GMT
I might be wrong here but I think pat hughes doesn't face any case with regards to the possession or use of illegal substances.....I would say that article quoted was incorrect.......it seems to me it was a mix up between him and his brother john.....
If pat should be charged with anything it would be......horse trainer impersonation......and im afraid he'd want johnny Cochran with him to get a not guilty verdict.....
Report richters February 17, 2014 6:42 PM GMT
there would be quite a few up on that charge paulie if truth be told.....
Report silvergreaser February 17, 2014 6:51 PM GMT
cue racing media taking evasive action as we speak.
Report mrcombustible February 17, 2014 6:52 PM GMT
Bizarre that this was first brought to light in 2012 and the Turf Club are only aware of it in 2014. Trainers should be obliged to self report to their governing body if charges are brought against them
Report paulie wallnuts February 17, 2014 6:58 PM GMT
yes richters you are right.....there would be some squeeze in that dock......
and if pat hughes was using steroids.....it must have been the stuff that makes them go slower.....
Report silvergreaser February 17, 2014 6:59 PM GMT
The Turd Club already had all the evidence they wanted but decided to treat the Dunguib case as a mere misdemeanor, when it was plain as anyone with a half a brain cell Fenton was lying through his proverbial teeth,
Report mrcombustible February 17, 2014 7:11 PM GMT
I am beginning to think that the sport is rife with performance enhancing drugs, not just in Ireland but also in the UK.Some trainers that were moderate in the past suddenly improve their string no end.
Report The Gotchee February 17, 2014 8:17 PM GMT
Thats more like it, dj.
Report ffs February 18, 2014 4:45 AM GMT
One can only hope that the retired vet had his case dismissed as he turned States' witness, which led to the raid at Fenton's, and that trainer was one of the only customers. Timing would seem about right, I believe ?

Honestly though, read about PEDs and the limits to their effect on horse-racing performance. You might be surprised at how little they can do. Esp, something like Stanazol, unless you are talking bringing forward bumper horses  because after a horse is filled out you need a different approach along the lines of EPO, and not sure anything like that is available in AUS or anywhere.

You can't just 'improve your string no end' ... think of the differences between Ben Johnson running for 10secs on pure muscles, and a horse running 2 - 6 minutes, where his body weight is working against him, and he requires balance and smooth travelling.

Them you have all the negative effects of Stanazol in terms of Cardio - which is the key to racehorses - it messes with their hearts, and all the androgens that support endurance running.

About 5f, maybe 1mile .. that's only where it could be really useful.

Recommend reading about the equine energy pathways and when they switch from Anaerobic to Aerobic and you pretty much nail it dead.
Report ffs February 18, 2014 5:13 AM GMT
Just a couple of final pieces of info that came to me re: Stanazol and performance

1) Yes it can be beneficial to treat injuries - it increases protein synthesis - and hence you can confidently train your horses that bit harder - but judging the dosage and balance to increased workload is plagued with uncertainty. Far too easy to do more harm than good.

2) A definite negative on continuous usage is that the bulk you see from taking anabolic steroids is not actually lean muscle mass but retained water (a side effect of the increased level of estrogen that accompanies the increased testosterone).

3) If you're not judiciously using something to treat injuries then you have to make continuous use (as I've tried to explain that's a recipe for disaster) because as soon as you stop administering the drug the horse will lose it's gained muscle, and then some .. and will never fulfill it's potential, because the drug has told the body to stop producing testosterone and other muscle building hormones, because the 'natural' level was so artificially high that that whole system went into shutdown, and requires serious treatment to get it back running and in many cases it never does.

Hope you have some faith - I hope the trainer in question here gets jailed and has his licence withdrawn because primarily it's a question of serious animal safety and a stupid / greedy / reckless trainer.
Report ffs February 18, 2014 5:23 AM GMT
I'd say the case of Dunguib illustrates some of my points - RPR of 151 winning the Chelt bumper in his first full season - next season he had no problems and posted 147, despite the benefit of experience and the natural progression expected physically - following season 156.

That could have been a Champion Hurdle horse for many seasons, and hit the 170s ... but apart from the initial boost he went nowhere, and arguably given his obvious class and looks he was held back somehow - that's how I read it.
Report mrcombustible February 18, 2014 8:11 AM GMT
FFS thank you for your informative posts
Report frankalsoran60 February 18, 2014 11:36 AM GMT
Thanks for the insight ffs,most of us on the forum dont know how drugs can change a performence ,be it good or bad, speaking for myself i just like to think that the horse i back is running on its merits.
Report scamboogah February 18, 2014 5:59 PM GMT
There are some plonkers on this forum. From the fools yesterday trying to speculate who the trainer was  - dropping hints with initials and getting it wrong, to the fools today who don't even know what the full facts of the case are before they become judge & jury.
Report silvergreaser February 18, 2014 6:09 PM GMT
The trainer in question was found in his possession banned steroids among other illegal animal substances so those facts can't be disputed, so anyone is entitled to ask what he would be doing with such substances,for personal use or for feeding the chickens?.
Report brain dead jockeys February 18, 2014 6:37 PM GMT
i think the turf clubs hands may have been tied on this issue since the charges relates to "posession"............im sure they have been testing horses from his yard on a regular basis over the last two years and if all were negative, what could they do?
this is a very interesting case. the irish racing scene is very cosy indeed.............the godolphin trainer was hung and drawn as a villain in the UK by the UK media.............i ask you how will our media treat good old philip here? will o leary take out teh horses? will our racing journos write some nasty articles about him? dont hold your breath.
Report keen leader February 18, 2014 6:57 PM GMT
1.00001, case deferral on thursday......my nap of the season.
Report brain dead jockeys February 18, 2014 7:01 PM GMT
philip is such a nice guy..............i hope nothing comes of it..............hes a grand lad..............we dont want to rock the boat here in ireland now do we..............we let the bankers off, the politicians...............now let the trainer alone here. everything will be grand!
Report frankalsoran60 February 18, 2014 7:15 PM GMT
i might play safe and go e/way on that bet K.L...BUT on a more Serious note im sure your right, i just hope L.S. gets to run in the Gold cup i have a tasty bet on him.Silly
Report frankalsoran60 February 18, 2014 7:17 PM GMT
Sry that should read Last Installment.
Report pa lapsy March 5, 2014 2:54 PM GMT
BHA gives the go ahead for Fenton runners at Cheltenham.
Report dj876 March 5, 2014 3:01 PM GMT
A short price on there being good ground on the Friday so (weather permitting).
Anything but last Installment will be the course attitude.

A pity the martyr's horse doesn't run though,I am not a religious man but the parable of the rich man overtly making the church donation also springs to mind -The OC prize money has been mentioned once or twice this year.
Report Ozymandius March 5, 2014 3:54 PM GMT
The Good Lord will send rain, DJ.  Last Instalment will romp home, the Triclour will rise, 'The Fields of Athenry' will be sung with extra gusto and the message will be sent to the Brits loud and clear...do not question the integrity of our hosses ye b@stards, stay away from our yards with yer fancy dan tests.

The Martyr will be trampled underfoot in the rush to acclaim Fenton and Gigginstown and will be left with no option but to send his hosses to England for Training next season.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com