Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
reb
30 Oct 13 12:17
| Topic/replies: 18,108 | Blogger: reb's blog
Conor Cusack, the ex-Cork hurler and brother of Donal Og, was on Prime Time last night talking about his battle with mental illness and depression. He had written a blog last week on balls.ie, detailing his experience with the illness, following the death of Niall Donohue in Galway. It's a great interview and article and worth a look/read by anyone who wants to gain some understanding of the illness that often, sadly, remains hidden from the public eye.

The interview is 42 minutes in :

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10217449/

http://balls.ie/football/one-article-balls-ie-read-today-make-one/
Pause Switch to Standard View Conor Cusack on Depression, Mental...
Show More
Report Ozymandius November 10, 2013 9:20 PM GMT
The main point of dissent here is that you have labeled depression  as 'not even an illness'.
Report neill d November 10, 2013 9:26 PM GMT
Just on a related note, the best advice I can give to anyone suffering from this, and this is as far as I'd go on this front...... is to go for a run, 9 or 10 laps of a GAA pitch, clears the head....oh and stay off the concrete.
Report slickster November 10, 2013 9:42 PM GMT
I believe wonky can help us here............
Report silvergreaser November 11, 2013 9:17 AM GMT
I wonder what the suicide rate was during the great famine?, when people find themselves in a totally hopeless situation the mind can play nasty tricks on you, some will ask for help others to ashamed to ask for help.

Do you think these people who commit suicide are attention seekers, dress it up all you want but for a person to take his/her life takes a huge amount of courage, so they must have been in the darkest place for them to go through with it.
Report silvergreaser November 11, 2013 9:17 AM GMT
too
Report Ozymandius November 11, 2013 9:48 AM GMT
Several of Borneo's posts have been removed from this thread, leaving it difficult to follow

Could whomever is reporting his posts, please stop...it is better that he is left to look a backward neanderthal.
Report freddiek November 11, 2013 10:33 AM GMT
silver, thats an extraordinary post and i'd be worried for u if u actually did believe that.

it takes far far more courage to work through your problems however bad than to just give up and do away with yourself.

also, whoever reported the post that said a man commiting suicide with a wife and kids at home is a selfish act, grow up.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2013 11:27 AM GMT
One thing about the Liberal elite is they become most illiberal when it comes to differing views.

Freddiek is right about the courage aspect,suicide is the cowards way out and leaves devastation and should be discouraged.

It tends to be the selfish that become depressed,one gentleman I knew who was regularly depressed was at home when his wife got sick,he called his local doctor,who came examined her and left without speaking to the husband,he then went into his wife and asked her " did he mention anything about my condition " sums them up.
Report Ozymandius November 11, 2013 12:22 PM GMT
With regard to the man who reports all your posts, I think we can safely assume he isn't 'liberal elite'. I am surprised you haven't worked it out.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 11, 2013 12:24 PM GMT
I used to agree with freddiek's way off thinking in that it's cowardly, you are leaving your loved ones behind and they are the ones who have to pick up the pieces.
However i think it's a bit too simplistic now to just claim that it's cowardly as you can't know how bad they're feeling and they must be in a really dark place to consider taking their own life as the best option.
Report peckerdunne November 11, 2013 12:36 PM GMT
Neil D, thanks for the Brolly post. It was a good read.

It is clear to see who has first hand experience of 'suicide/depression or not on here,that their family has been touched or not.

I am astounded and horrified by some of the posts, i cant even bring myself to debate them with such ignorance prevailing amongst the little minds of our country, those who actually believe that their prose points to their intelligence. Heaven help us all.

No i dont suffer depression, and yes i do have ups and downs and yes i have first hand experience.
Report Ozymandius November 11, 2013 12:37 PM GMT
If you recognise depression as a mental illness the its disparaging to suggest that 'it tends to be the selfish who get it'.

This is typical of the ignorance that surrounds mental illness.  You wouldn't make a similar remark about a physical illness, i.e, 'it's unkind people who tend to get cancer'.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2013 1:00 PM GMT
Every vice is now an illness.
If you steal its not your fault mental illness
Drink to excess not your fault a disease.
If you are sexually promiscuous another disease.

So now having removed personal responsibility ye can do what you like.

I smoke so were I to get cancer it would not be unreasonable for some to say you brought it on yourself.
Report Irish_Celtic November 11, 2013 4:20 PM GMT
Touch of the far right there Wildman  , mentally ill people are weak and selfish and generally not worth it ? Your comments are a disgrace ,highly offensive ,and utterly ignorant.
Report tobywong. November 11, 2013 4:25 PM GMT
well said irish celtic!
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2013 4:54 PM GMT
Ye all get offended easily but then having your feelings hurt show you to be compassionate and may lead to a windfall when you make the inevitable claim.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2013 5:01 PM GMT
Most aren't  mentally ill at all,its just an excuse for bad behaviour and a way of getting money you are not entitled to.

Gary Sliotar suddenly developed a mental illness when the net was closing in,it worked still hasn't appeared in court.
Report roadrunner46 November 11, 2013 5:10 PM GMT
the voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes (marcel proust)
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 11, 2013 5:14 PM GMT
how do you know most are not mentally ill?

i'd say there is a large percentage with depression who don't say anything or seek help due to the stigma involved with it
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2013 5:24 PM GMT
How come there is this huge increase in mental illness,might it have something to do with the benefits you now get never mind the compensation.

Nearly every family now has a child with a mental illness as its a money spinner plus there is always a chance you can blame the state for the said mental illness leading to the real money.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 11, 2013 5:33 PM GMT
maybe because they are better at diagnosing these things now, we are always learning and they are better equiped to diagnose things than they where years ago
Report wildmanfromborneo November 11, 2013 5:34 PM GMT
Fair point.
Report kingrat November 11, 2013 6:00 PM GMT
a young man hangs himself!to the outside world hes got everything to look forward to but who is obviously in a private hell that he dose't understand or why.wildman's answer to this is "buck yreself up man! and dont be a girl's blouse,what will the neighbours think?
    neill donohue is dead,hes not coming back,tell donohue's family your theory of mental illness wildman.
Report peckerdunne November 11, 2013 7:07 PM GMT
Nearly every family now has a child with a mental illness as its a money spinner plus there is always a chance you can blame the state for the said mental illness leading to the real money.

And you have evidence to support this sweeping statement....

GIMP.....
Report Ozymandius November 11, 2013 11:21 PM GMT
That whole 'pull up your socks' way of thinking is so ridiculously antiquated.
Report pedrobob November 12, 2013 12:20 AM GMT
proverb from Cherokee tribe of Native Americans, “Don’t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...... "
Report Irish_Celtic November 12, 2013 11:20 AM GMT
The thread was about depression not Autism . Ask the families of those who are pulled out of rivers or cut down from a rope every week if it is a real illness or not.
Report Irish_Celtic November 12, 2013 12:07 PM GMT
The most worrying thing is you don't believe depression is an illness.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 12, 2013 12:16 PM GMT
What I think doesn't really count as I am pretty much a lone voice.

Once you get in the system of benefits you don't have to work anymore,you can holiday to your hearts content tis no wonder doctors are doing the needful for their clients.
Report Irish_Celtic November 12, 2013 12:28 PM GMT
Right so depression is the greatest fraud of our times.

Who would have thought .
Report wildmanfromborneo November 12, 2013 12:36 PM GMT
No autism is although labelling depression as a mental illness is a fraud and one designed to access all the benefits that entails.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 12, 2013 12:42 PM GMT
what have benefits got to do with depression? i'm lost here

are you saying everyone, or a big percentage of those who are diagnosed with depression do not have depression and are only doing it to get on the sick?
Report Irish_Celtic November 12, 2013 12:49 PM GMT
So hold on - depression is not a fraud but labelling it as a mental illness is a fraud ,while autism is also a fraud ?

Have you ever seen an autistic child in action by the way ?

Think you need to have a good lie down wildman
Report wildmanfromborneo November 12, 2013 1:04 PM GMT
Did the Spanish basketball team teach ye nothing.

I have seen some of these mildly autistic children and know they are not entitled to all the money bestowed on them.

I realise that the recepients of this windfall will scream the place down but no one ever equates the closing down of a hospital ward with this largesse,they think there is some abstract pot where all this money comes from.

Politicians are only interested in reelection so they will never mention it,RTE are permanently exhorting others to sue the state then lauding them when they win,soft interview after soft interview.

Yet even with the soft interviewers the use of emotionalism and every other propaganda tool it comes out what some are receiving,free electricity free telephone free travel,a waiving of taxes and carers allowances.
Report by purpose November 12, 2013 1:17 PM GMT
And then he invaded Poland....
Report by purpose November 12, 2013 1:31 PM GMT
Where are all your lapdogs.There silence is a fair mark...You have made a show of yourself on this thread.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 12, 2013 1:36 PM GMT
I am never afraid to plough a lone furrow.

Some things need to be said no matter how unpopular.
Report Bassanio November 12, 2013 1:44 PM GMT
You should come to the Christmas party WMFB.

Reb started this thread and will be there I am sure.

Provided everything could be kept civil, I am sure there would be some interesting exchanges of views.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 12, 2013 1:47 PM GMT
I would never get out alive.

They would see me as a threat to their benefits and that's the greatest crime of all.
Report by purpose November 12, 2013 1:52 PM GMT
When your playing Scrooge in town hall in Thurles for the Christmas Panto you cant be going to partys.
Report peckerdunne November 12, 2013 8:33 PM GMT
Wild man

I should not have called you GIMP even though i am in dispute with alot of what you have to say.

I was beginning to think this was a great catch by you, but now i actually see that you are serious and in some strange way,well meaning.

Im quite sure you could run rings around most of the politicans and their cronies, as you are clearly well educated.

I might even enjoy your company over a pint but i fear that would be short lived as some of your views seem a little perverse.

It leaves me wondering if you ever see the good in anything.

Could it be that you are very fortunate in many ways, perhaps privileged,and as such just cannot find any understanding or compassion for those less advantaged.
Report peckerdunne November 12, 2013 8:45 PM GMT
Its not everyone that would introduce filicide, the murdering of ones own children, as a comparison, in a discussion on depression or mental health as no doubt you may choose to cite.
Report CheltenhamRoar November 13, 2013 7:11 PM GMT
Report Ozymandius November 13, 2013 8:41 PM GMT
Not even Wonks or Pa Lapsy can back The Chairman's stand on this issue. 

Not that they will break party ranks by condemning his stance, mind you.
Report pa lapsy November 13, 2013 10:06 PM GMT
Not going to castigate anyone either Ozy,that is your agenda on this and other threads,there is some truth in Wildmans allegations however but really think it applies to a minority and shame on the  chancers. Emmotional subject and most will have been touched by it in some way(a lovely man I knew when I was young and him old was fished out of the Lee and hard to read the thread without thinking of him) Very nice post by Peckerdunne yesterday I thought and a lot of kindness shown by others on here from the heart Ozy and not to score points.
Report reb November 13, 2013 10:37 PM GMT
pa lapsy, you state above :

"there is some truth in Wildmans allegations however but really think it applies to a minority and shame on the  chancers"

I have no "agenda" against anyone on this thread but I am appalled by the views expressed here by wildman. Can you clarify what you mean in your statement that I have quoted  ?
Report Ozymandius November 13, 2013 10:43 PM GMT
At no point, is Borneo suggestng that only a minority of depression cases are put on.  He is saying exactly the opposite.

Wake the f**k up Lapsy.
Report pa lapsy November 13, 2013 10:48 PM GMT
Reb,i can see it not beyond the bounds of possibility that a MINORITY are using depression as an excuse to get the most out of the benefit system, think it has been played in numerous court compensation claims as well.I,m not for a moment unsympathic to the vast majority but to extent maybe the system is being abused by some is plausible.
Report one last chance November 13, 2013 11:03 PM GMT
By god wildman you are some tool your comments on autism are a total disgrace it's an illness I wouldn't wish on any child
Report one last chance November 13, 2013 11:07 PM GMT
Unless you know the FACTS about it you should refrain from commenting on it
Report reb November 13, 2013 11:16 PM GMT
Ok pa,thanks for the clarification. I couldn't disagree with your comments at 22.48 (there will always be a small few bogus claimants re depression), but the wildman's views on the general subject matter of this thread ie.mental illness, are irresponsible, ill-informed and totally lacking in sensitivity.
Report CheltenhamRoar November 14, 2013 4:52 PM GMT
Very well said one last chance,Could u imagine a family member of wildman's suffering autism or depression,or perhaps himself?
Maybe then,His attitude towards it would change,But i doubt it.
Report roadrunner46 November 14, 2013 11:44 PM GMT
you claim people are cheating the state and using depression as an excuse, hasnt the state been cheating people by under spending
on mental illness's and depression, known fact that people who suffer from these mental illness's have the lowest amount of money
from the health budgets spent on helping and alleviating these problems. argue its the state cheating their own people.
Report CheltenhamRoar November 14, 2013 11:54 PM GMT
Fair enough wildman,i too have great respect for you,and normally agree with 95% of your points,So we'll just agree to disagree on this one.
Good to see some people can have a debate without getting into petty name calling and childish abuse.
Report silvergreaser November 15, 2013 12:36 AM GMT
Wildman education has nowt to do with intelligence, better educated yes but more intelligent...?

Wildman I think your problem is your age, back in the 50's and 60's depression etc was never really diagnosed as a serious problem and people often bottled it up, which probably led to scores of suicides?. I don't have the stats.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 10:58 AM GMT
All his views are rooted in the 50's and based upon a very narrow life experience and little or no experience of the world beyond the British Isles.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 11:49 AM GMT
Even if what you say is true how does that negate my view.
Do you believe people like me should not be allowed hold views.

Ozymandius is the typical Liberal an elitist,thinks he is morally and actually superior,suppresses free speech for the ordinary man but never sees the irony of him calling people retards,knuckledraggers and Neanderthals.

Silvergreaser suicide levels in the fifties and sixties were tiny compared to now.
Report by purpose November 15, 2013 11:56 AM GMT
Your probably right about the suicide levels being low back then.All you had to do was throw them into a Magdalen Laundry or an Industrial School and that was problem solved..Then along came the LIberal Elite.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:02 PM GMT
Interesting that you think the Magdalene Laundries and Industrial schools prevented suicide,they would never got those huge awards if that was the case.

Not so sure you should be defending those institutions,wouldn't go down well with the morally superior.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 12:04 PM GMT
Ahem, I don't think for one minute he is defending these institutions!  ya gobsh1te!
Report by purpose November 15, 2013 12:06 PM GMT
Might be some benifits for being Twisted and Bitter you should check it out Borneo.Once again where are all the LAPDOGS...
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:13 PM GMT
Ahem Ozymandius read it again.

Why call other posters lapdogs,why be insulting,but again even if we agree with your false premise are they not entitled to disagree.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 12:16 PM GMT
You read it again...in no way is he defending these Institutions.  He is castigating them.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 12:17 PM GMT
As well you know.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:19 PM GMT
Take it easy and calm down.
Read the posts again.
Report by purpose November 15, 2013 12:19 PM GMT
Why call people suffering from Autism frauds.What type of a twisted mind would say something like that.As for the lapdog statement,you do have a loyal crew but they are go to ground on this debate.
Report by purpose November 15, 2013 12:22 PM GMT
Ozy
He knows well what i mean but as usual he likes to twist things around.I dont know how many times i have read that read the posts again.
Report by purpose November 15, 2013 12:23 PM GMT
gone...
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:31 PM GMT
Everyone reading the posts would know that was irony.

There is an 80 percent rise in schoolchildren being diagnosed as Autistic.
This huge increase is because the myriad of benefits you get and that's where the fraud is.

The result of this is a trivialising of a serious condition for some children.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 15, 2013 12:34 PM GMT
i already said maybe it's down to the fact we are better equiped to diagnose such things now to which you said was a fair point, maybe that's why there is a rise as it does not go unnoticed anymore
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:41 PM GMT
It was a fair point but this increase is in the last few years.

Its the problem with lots of benefits,the politicians start giving them to people who don't qualify and before long like the mobility grant they have to be scrapped.

Benefits can't be for the whole population.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 15, 2013 12:42 PM GMT
i will put it too you another way, do you really believe any parents wants their child to be diagnosed as autistic??

of course there is a small percentage claiming benefits fraudulently but it is only a small percentage
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:46 PM GMT
Afraid so,doctors are being pressurised to diagnose mildly Autistic,more favourable doctors are beginning to corner the market.

I don't think people realise how much they get and that it is also backdated.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 15, 2013 12:49 PM GMT
absolute rubbish, you have no got a clue what you're talking about
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 12:53 PM GMT
Its the experts on Autism that are complaining about the huge increase.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf November 15, 2013 12:56 PM GMT
one of my friends son has autism, i suppose you think he was high fiving the doctor when he diagnosed him with it seen as he can get on the benefits gravy train now
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 1:00 PM GMT
It all depends on which category he is in.

Here's what you get,free travel free telephone,carers allowance and a respite grant of 1700 for a holiday irrespective of your means.

I am not saying wants it in reality but a bogus one that's the gold mine.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 1:09 PM GMT
Ozy

He knows well what i mean

Thanks for the clarification, By purpose.  What a **** he is.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 1:13 PM GMT
Ozymandius you were so annoyed you failed to grasp the posts meaning,you are now even more annoyed which is why you are now just reduced to name calling.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 1:23 PM GMT
The man has confirmed that my interpretation of what he said is correct.  And yet you are still arguing the toss Cry

I don't have the time anymore to get down in the weeds with you and argue needlessly.  This thread has shown your true colours.  You are vermin and I knew it from day 1.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 1:26 PM GMT
All who read the posts will have got it bar you.
You are incapable of argument just an expertise in name calling.
Report freddiek November 15, 2013 1:28 PM GMT
I have a lot of sympathy for the parents of genuinely autistic kids. kids who are slightly withdrawn and shy are often labelled autistic in error however

as for depression, I once worked with a girl who suddenly stopped coming in. Apparently she was off work for a few months with 'depression'. but those closest to her knew she had split up with her long-term boyfriend and was feeling sorry for herself. so i'd say its quite easy to con your employer into thinking u have genuine depression

some people just plod on through no matter how they feel in the mornings, others look for any excuse
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 1:32 PM GMT
^ here comes your Provo gunslinging side-kick.

Everyone got it apparently...bar the man who wrote it....you obviously know more about his own intentions than he does himself Cry

Honestly how doe anyone take you seriously?
Report freddiek November 15, 2013 1:36 PM GMT
are u off work with the old depression Ozy is that it?

you're some bleedin' heart anyway.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2013 1:38 PM GMT
Ozymandius I have already explained to you it was irony,you did your usual got upset on someone else's behalf and unfortunately was wrong yet again.
Report Ozymandius November 15, 2013 1:46 PM GMT
Cry
Report peckerdunne November 15, 2013 7:57 PM GMT
WOW

Indeed this thread gets worse. It is full of irony but not necessarily in the places some maintain.

Jeez,i'll come back later for fear of giving the wrong impression.
Report Ozymandius February 4, 2014 2:19 PM GMT
The spectre of mental illness and depression in this country tragically brought back into focus today.
Report wildmanfromborneo February 4, 2014 2:52 PM GMT
At best an inappropriate comment but then you need to stoop low to score any points.
Report Ozymandius February 4, 2014 2:54 PM GMT
The inappropriate words are yours, namely;

They must be one heck of a dysfunctional family.

I don't believe its an illness at all and by pandering to it you are giving people an excuse to do all sorts of terrible things.

Everybody has ups and downs but suicide is now regarded as a solution rather than a crime.
Report richters February 4, 2014 2:56 PM GMT
ozy you are sub human schum of this earth..........
Report Ozymandius February 4, 2014 2:56 PM GMT
They are not my words, dickie.
Report richters February 4, 2014 2:58 PM GMT
you knew what you were doing when you dragged this thread up......you ought to be ashamed of yourself,but then again,nothing surprises me about you......FILTH......
Report Ozymandius February 4, 2014 3:05 PM GMT
Perhaps you don't see it as a illness either, Dickie?

Frankly there is no more appropriate time to highlight the ignorance that surrounds this awful illness which plagues in our Society.
Report Ozymandius February 4, 2014 3:05 PM GMT
* plagues our Society
Report reb February 4, 2014 3:25 PM GMT
I thought this thread had disappeared. Otherwise, I would have brought it back up myself after the tragic death of Lucy Stack.
Report wildmanfromborneo February 4, 2014 3:30 PM GMT
How do you two opportunistic worthies know how she died.
Report wildmanfromborneo February 13, 2014 12:33 PM GMT
A standard form of any rhetoric is to overstate your case,however in this instance I overstepped the mark.

It was wrong of me to state depression is not an illness.

I apologise to any I offended especially Pecker Dunne who is quite obviously a decent man.

A point I was trying to make is if you broaden diseases to include nearly everybody you dilute it and remove necessary funds and help for the deserving.
Report reb February 25, 2014 1:44 PM GMT
Nice article about Roy Carroll (Northern Ireland Goalkeeper) and his battles with drink and depression in today's Guardian :

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/24/roy-carroll-manchester-united-olympiakos
Report reb March 26, 2014 1:55 PM GMT
Really great article, this time detailing the ex Southampton defender, Claus Lundekvam's battle with addiction :

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/26/claus-lundekvam-threatening-kitchen-knife
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com