Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
winsamsoon
11 Oct 13 17:51
| Topic/replies: 10,540 | Blogger: winsamsoon's blog
Are anti-post rules same for this as Irish and British, if a horse is balloted out your stake is refunded?
If so Simenon must be a cracking bet at 25s
Pause Switch to Standard View Melbourne Cup
Show More
Report Distant View October 11, 2013 7:42 PM BST
No you will lose your bet or at least you will lose it on here.
Report by purpose October 11, 2013 8:00 PM BST
Simenon runs tomorrow morning at 6.20am in Caufield.Around 7/1 on here.
Report winsamsoon October 11, 2013 9:02 PM BST
Did him pp, normal anti-post for any bookies i checked.

Willie Mullins to use Herbert Power Stakes as measuring stick for Simenon.

Champion Irish trainer Willie Mullins jetted into Melbourne overnight and headed straight to the TAB International Horse Centre at Werribee this morning to check on the progress of his Spring Carnival hope Simenon before the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) at Caulfield tomorrow.
The quarantine restrictions will be lifted tomorrow on the eight international horses who arrived a fortnight ago and Simenon will be the first of them to make an Australian debut along with French raider Trevieres.
“I’m very happy with the horse and how he has gone through quarantine”, said the eight time Irish Champion National Hunt trainer who is also cautious about the Herbert Power trip for Simenon.
Second placed in the Group 1 Ascot Gold Cup (4000m) last June and then a last start second in the Group 2 Londsdale Cup (3300m), Simenon will have his first start in a race as short as 2400-metres for more than three years when previously trained by Andrew Balding.
“I have never run him over this trip and our plan is to have him ready as a two-mile horse, even further.”
“We didn’t have to run him over in this race but I think it will be a good introduction for him.”

Simenon cantered about three miles this morning, which would seem a lot of work to many locals in Australian training terms on the day before a race start.
“I’m wondering if we’re doing enough!”, Mullins quipped.
“We would do a lot of this at home and that is his normal routine. We would never be training on grass at home so it will be interesting to see how that makes a difference”, Mullins commented as training is usually done on synthetic surfaces.
With Kerrin McEvoy aboard tomorrow, the seven-year-old gelding will start from barrier four.
“We’ve got a good draw but I don’t know how he’ll handle a fast early pace”, Mullins said.
“I’m just waiting to see that will happen just the same as everyone else but I’m not going into the race with any sort of expectations and I’m expecting that after whatever he does tomorrow he would run a much better race from then on.”
Report Distant View October 11, 2013 10:47 PM BST
Betfair rules below.

Was silly enough to get stung by this last year.

MARKET INFORMATION

This is an Australian ante post market. For further information please see Rules & Regs. All bets stand on balloted out and not nominated horses. Any bets matched on horses after they have forfeited their entry at a particular entry stage will be voided unless the race in question has a subsequent supplementary entry stage.

Betfair may suspend ante post markets at any stage to protect customers and carry out necessary administration, including in some cases the cancellation of unmatched bets. By their nature, ante post markets can be volatile and customers are responsible for managing their bets on this market at all times.

Please note that an Antepost market is separate to a day of race market. Liabilities will not be carried between events however any winnings/losses in an ante-post market will be netted off against any winnings/losses in the relevant day of race market. You are only liable for commission on net winnings on both markets combined. This market is incomplete. Further additions may be added by request.
Report kavvie October 11, 2013 10:53 PM BST
im going to the melbourne cup.always wanted to go.would be a dream come through if simenon won it...watch out for me with the tricolour!!
Report workrider October 11, 2013 11:22 PM BST
Kavvie you must have won a fortune on Clare , enjoy the trip ....
Report GANT007 October 11, 2013 11:32 PM BST
It's a super day Kavvie, I have been a few times.
Report kavvie October 12, 2013 8:07 AM BST
perfect trial
Report kavvie October 12, 2013 8:25 AM BST
3rd beaten 3/4 and a head.
Report huddys October 12, 2013 8:33 AM BST
Great run over a shorter than ideal trip
Report Distant View October 12, 2013 10:43 AM BST
Excellent prep run.

Just don't back him on betfair. This was the response I got last year.

Thank you for your e-mail.

First of all please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your email. We have clarified the position with the Market Operations team who have responded as follows.

While we could go into great detail to explain the management of Australian Antepost markets, this is one of the many risks associated with Antepost all in betting and our rules clearly state the risks:

This is an Australian ante post market. For further information please see Rules & Regs. All bets stand on balloted out and not nominated horses. Any bets matched on horses after they have forfeited their entry at a particular entry stage will be voided unless the race in question has a subsequent supplementary entry stage.

Betfair may suspend ante post markets at any stage to protect customers and carry out necessary administration, including in some cases the cancellation of unmatched bets. By their nature, ante post markets can be volatile and customers are responsible for managing their bets on this market at all times.

The runner in question ‘Brigantin’ although ultimately not qualifying for the 2012 Melbourne Cup connections continued to make sustaining payments thus making it eligible should it have won a race leading into and or gain a penalty or others ahead in the rankings didn’t accept for the final field.

This is vastly different to a horse which has passed; obviously it definitely can’t make the final field and all bets following confirmation of a death should be made void.

We are always reviewing our market rules, however our management ensures that as soon as a runner becomes ineligible it is hidden from the market thus protecting customers as best we can.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further enquiries.
Report neill d October 12, 2013 4:17 PM BST
Can't really see the attraction of this race, its chiefly made up of Group 3 level 12f horses from Europe bought for silly money and running for obscene money. They could add a lot to the /quiet Saturday/midweek scene in the UK & Ireland but I wouldn't be staying up to watch any of them.

Aidan O'Brien could probably win this if he really set his mind to it and identified one early enough, would mean sacrificing an ascot Gold Cup though.
Report neill d October 12, 2013 8:13 PM BST
Enjoy the trip though Kav, it is a great trip and amazing occasion obviously, just the race doesn't do it for me.
Report silvergreaser October 12, 2013 9:09 PM BST
Neil it might be a handicap and it might not capture the imagination of us on these Islands but to the Aussies it means everything, upwards of 100 thousand attendance each year.

The Aussies probably look at the Cheltenham festival as if they were looking at a bunch of tortoises jumping obstacles, basically it means nothing to them.

The French love the Arc, the Americans the Kentucky Derby, the Japs the Japan Cup etc.

Iv'e been waiting on Red Cadeaux all year, I think he's been campaigned disingenuously all year for another tilt at this, and maybe Hong Kong after?.

Will go off at a huge price, so I'm going to indulge a bit of ew on him.
Report neill d October 12, 2013 9:16 PM BST
Get what u mean Sil but we had the likes of Green Moon over here and didn't amount to much. That said it is good the way they can race on their horses over there to full maturity due to their massive prize money and shallower breeding scene. Always thought Red Cadeaux needed cut but he seems to have become more versatile with age.... wouldn't be for me though on the basis that if he was going to do it it might have been done by now.
Report winsamsoon October 18, 2013 4:49 PM BST
Willie Mullins says Simenon remains on course for the Emirates Melbourne Cup despite a somewhat disappointing third on his Australian debut at Caulfield last week.
Mullins’ charge was beaten in the Herbert Power Stakes, losing by just three-quarters of a length, as he warmed up for a potential crack at the richest handicap in the world on November 5.
While that was viewed as a slightly below-par performance by some, Mullins has declared himself satisfied with the run as he waits on getting the final nod for the Flemington showpiece next month.
Simenon is not yet guaranteed a run in the Melbourne Cup but Mullins says he has been told it is very likely his charge will be included for the eagerly-anticipated Group One event.
“He’s in good form and has taken his race well,” he said. “He still needs seven to come out to get a run but they tell me it looks odds on he will get in but you never know.”
The six-year-old, who chased home Estimate in the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot in June, was also then just edged out by Ahzeemah in a close finish to the Lonsdale Cup at York and is rated as a lively outsider for the Melbourne Cup at this stage.
Early favourites for the prestigious race include Fiorente, Puissance De Lune, Hawkspur and Sea Moon.
Report ACE JACK DOUBLE SUITED October 18, 2013 5:50 PM BST
Who would you like to see take the ride winsamsoon?
Report winsamsoon October 18, 2013 6:11 PM BST
If Paddy can't do the weight, Murtagh
Report kavvie October 18, 2013 9:07 PM BST
winsamsoon...a slightly below par run?..i was thrilled with the run and i think connections were as well..
Report winsamsoon October 19, 2013 6:45 AM BST
Same here, I'd have been happy within 3 or 4 l of the winner.
Took that from an aussie paper.
Report kavvie October 19, 2013 2:56 PM BST
it was over 1m2..totally unsuited.to get as close as he did was a great run
Report winsamsoon October 22, 2013 8:18 PM BST
DANDINO: An easy canter over a mile this morning as a first proper outing since the Caulfield Cup second placing. Track rider Paul Francis says that Dandino has “bounced back into it and couldn’t be happier”.  (Next run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

SIMENON: This horse just keeps looking like a big run beckons in the Melbourne Cup. An easy canter over 1400-metres kicked off his work, another over 1600-metres quickening over the last 400-metres and repeated that again. Having showed more “zip” than expected in the Herbert Power and his continuing work suggests that building on that is a part of the strategy. Track rider Emmet Mullins says that the horse is coming along very well after the Caulfield run. (Next run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

SIDE GLANCE: Just light work from this horse and went about it very quietly. His work has been very steady and consistent and a better guide of his progress with come with Craig Williams riding work tomorrow. Side Glance drew barrier 1 in Saturday’s race. (Saturday: Sportingbet Cox Plate, 2040m)

MULL OF KILLOUGH: A relatively easy morning for Mull Of Killough cantering over a mile. Track rider Abi Harrison is pleased with his progress and hoped to get barrier 4 or 5 for the Cox Plate; fortunately the ended up with barrier 4. Steven Arnold will ride work tomorrow morning. (Saturday: Sportingbet Cox Plate, 2040m)

TREVIERES: Just a walk around the parade ring today as Trevieres recovers from a muscle injury to the hind quarters, as reported by @RVStewards Twitter, which started to show up on Saturday. The news is that the soreness is improving.

FORGOTTEN VOICE: Track rider Ryan O’Rielly said that Forgotten Voice was “very well” after this morning’s hit out. Trotted about a mile then cantered over another mile and on two occasions clicked up over the last 400-metres. A real sharpen up before the Geelong Cup. (Tomorrow: Race 7 Group 2 Geelong Cup, 2400m)

BROWN PANTHER: One of the horses that looked very well when he stepped off the plane on Saturday and continues to look as well now. A slow canter over 1400-metres. Looked good. (First run: Emirate Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

RED CADEAUX: Looking just like he is familiar with the surrounds at Werribee, this remarkable globetrotter cantered off from the mile today. It was strong enough work for the first minor occasion pushed. (First run: Emirate Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

STIPULATE: Reporting that the horse has settled well over the last few days. Cantered over 1200-metres this morning. The horse looks comfortable in it’s surrounds. (First run: Group 1 Emirates Stakes, 1600m, 9 November)

MOUNT ATHOS: A walk over 1200-metres and cantered over 1200-metres. Charlie Henson, Luca Cumani’s International Assistant, says that he thinks the horse travelled better this time than last year. Sarah Cumani is expected to arrive in Melbourne tomorrow. (First run: Emirate Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

DUNADEN: He looks like such a professional, this horse. Just saunters aroung the parade ring and then performs when asked on the track. Cantered over 1200-metres this morning although he did buck a tad before setting off. Cantered to the line nicely and work rider Mathieu Brasme says the horse is very well in himself.

HAVANA GOLD: A canter over 1200-metres from this stablemate of Dunaden. Walked along with Dunaden but they cantered separately. The horse is well by reports. (First run: Group 1 Emirates Stakes, 1600m, 9 November)

VEREMA: Although none of the horses really travelled poorly, Verema was said to have coped very well. Stepped out very nicely with a canter over 1000-metres today. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

TRES BLUE: Just a light canter this morning from the mile marker. Not too much asked from this three-year-old. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

CARAVAN ROLLS ON: A light canter around the circuit on two occasions. The horse looks comfortable in the new surrounds. (First run: Lavazza Long Black 2800m or Emirates Melbourne Cup 3200m, 5 November)

VOLEUSE DE COUERS: Walked a lap of the course and did a very light trot as well. Trainer Mike Moroney seems satisfied with the horse in the early stages. He said that the mare has also settled well and only lost one kilo on the trip over. He described her as an “amazing eater”. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

By Danny Matthews
Report The Gotchee October 22, 2013 9:37 PM BST
Nice post ^ Willie Mullins appears to be a lot harder on his horse than any other trainer?
Report neill d October 22, 2013 10:02 PM BST
I could see Forgotten Voice running a cracker in this if he gets as he really truly relishes lightning fast conditions and has loads of tactical speed. He'd be a similar class of horse to Bauer who nearly won it so why not.
Report winsamsoon October 23, 2013 7:10 PM BST
F Voice came 5th on heavy ground in Geelong Cup this morning, needed to win get in
Report kavvie October 23, 2013 7:13 PM BST
is simenon going to get in?
Report winsamsoon October 23, 2013 7:45 PM BST
Willie says it's odds on but i wouldn't be so sure, needs about 6 or more to come out depending what wins the Cox plate.
The next acceptances are out Monday, should have a better idea then.
Report winsamsoon October 23, 2013 8:03 PM BST
Suppose you shouldn't fully write off Henderson, there's 2 races the Sat before the Cup that have ballot exemptions for the winner
Report Kriskin October 27, 2013 1:52 AM BST
TTT
Report winsamsoon October 27, 2013 4:40 PM GMT
Simenon is long odds on to get a start imo, There's 7 ahead off him I think will be gone tomorrow with prob another few to follow. 7/8 should be enough.

1 FAWKNER 6G (Robert Hickmott) 1.5 53.0
2 DUNADEN (FR) 8H (Mikel Delzangles) 58.5
3 GREEN MOON (IRE) 7H (Robert Hickmott) 57.5
x 4 IT'S A DUNDEEL (NZ) 4H (Murray Baker) 56.0   
5 RED CADEAUX (GB) 8G (Ed Dunlop) 56.5
6 SEA MOON (GB) 6H (Robert Hickmott) 56.5
D 7 MANIGHAR (FR) 8G (Peter G Moody) 56.0       
d8 SUPER COOL 4G (Mark Kavanagh) 54.5
9 VOLEUSE DE COEURS (IRE) 5M (Michael Moroney) 54.0
10 FIORENTE (IRE) 6H (Gai Waterhouse) 55.0
x 11 ROYAL DESCENT 4M (Chris Waller) 52.0
12 HAWKSPUR 4G (Chris Waller) 53.5
13 TRES BLUE (IRE) 4H (Gai Waterhouse) 51.0
14 BROWN PANTHER (GB) 6H (Tom Dascombe) 55.0
d15 FORETELLER (GB) 7G (Chris Waller) 55.0
16 ETHIOPIA 5G (Pat Carey) 54.5
17 DANDINO (GB) 7H (Marco Botti) 54.5
x 18 SANGSTER (NZ) 5G (Trent Busuttin & N. Young) 54.5
19 VEREMA (FR) 5M (Alain de Royer Dupre) 53.0
20 MOURAYAN (IRE) 8H (Robert Hickmott) 54.5
x 21 PUISSANCE DE LUNE (IRE) 6H (Darren Weir) 54.5
22 SEVILLE (GER) 6H (Robert Hickmott) 1.0 53.5
d23 DEAR DEMI 4M (Clarry Conners) 51.0
24 SILENT ACHIEVER (NZ) 5M (Roger James) 52.5
25 MOUNT ATHOS (IRE) 7G (Luca Cumani) 54.0
26 ROYAL EMPIRE (IRE) 5H (Saeed Bin Suroor) 54.0
27 MASKED MARVEL (GB) 6H (Robert Hickmott) 54.0
x 28 WALDPARK (GER) 6H (Anthony Freedman) 54.0
x 29 QUINTESSENTIAL (NZ) 5M (John Sargent) 52.0
d30 GLENCADAM GOLD (IRE) 6G (Gai Waterhouse) 53.5
d31 TANBY 7G (Robert Hickmott) 53.5
32 SIMENON (IRE) 7G (William Mullins) 53.5

24 run
Report kavvie October 28, 2013 11:42 AM GMT
simenon now number 23 in entry.hes in..richard hughes rides him.another positive to my mind
Report silvergreaser October 28, 2013 11:55 AM GMT
Red Cadeaux has all the hallmarks of a horse been campaigned for this one race, Ed Dunlop has a history of campaigning a horse for globetrotting, take Snow Fairy for instance she won in Japan twice and Hong Kong.

Red Cadeaux was a very unlucky 2nd in this race two year ago who also finished 3rd in Japan and won in Hong Kong.

Yes the horse has shown little or nothing this year but going by the trainers modus operandi I would not be too concerned, I think the horse is currently in the 50/1 bracket no harm having a little ew.
Report kavvie October 28, 2013 11:58 AM GMT
im flying out there today at 5..nice few bob ew on simenon.glad hes in obv.the one id fancy apart from simenon is mount athos..bad ride last yr and cumani has been trying to win this for many years..this might be the year
Report silvergreaser October 28, 2013 12:09 PM GMT
I'd say it will be a great experience Kavvie up to 100,000 thousand people, think of the Irish Derby crowd 4 times over.

Enjoy, and don't forget to have a small one on Red Cadaeux.
Report kavvie October 28, 2013 12:16 PM GMT
i will..long flight.not great to get up to the news of cancelled flights in heathrow..we should be ok tho..not flying out of heathrow til 10.15 tonight..
Report winsamsoon October 28, 2013 8:47 PM GMT
 Puissance De Lune, It’s A Dundeel and Royal Descent were all high-profile casualties after second declarations were taken for the 2013 Melbourne Cup (3200m) at Flemington.Manigar, Sangster, Waldpark, Quintessential, Glencadam Gold and Tanby were also withdrawn, leaving nine more positions available for horses lower down in the order of entry.Mr. Moet has 24th position but could still be relegated with a number of gallopers looking to secure a birth with a win in Saturday’s Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) and the Group 3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) at Flemington.
There will be 3 trying to gain entry via the Lexus Stakes, while Mr Moet (24th in order of entry) Jetaway (30th ), Mr O’Cierin (31st) and Moudre (33rd)  will be able to enhance their chances with a win in the Mackinnon.
11 international runners remain in the top 24 with Dunaden, Red Cadeaux and Mount Athos returning for another attempt at winning Australia’s most famous race.European internationals at WerribeeThe Michael Owen-owned Brown Panther, Caulfield Cup third placegetter Dandino, the Aga Kahn’s Varema and Godolphin’s Royal Empire will all attempt to win ‘the race that stops a nation’ at their first run in Australia.Mike Moroney’s new acquisition Voleuse De Coeurs, and Gai Waterhouse’s import Tres Blue will also attempt the 3200m race at their first start in the country.The Willie Mullins-trained Simenon and New Zealand mare Silent Acheiver have performed well in Australia and make up the final two of the long list of internationals.Team Williams is looking ominous with their unprecedented six entries with Fawkner (exempt from ballot), Green Moon (3rd in order of entry), Sea Moon (5th), Mourayan (16th), Seville (17th) and Masked Marvel (22nd).(LtR) Sea Moon, Masked Marvel & SevilleMark Kavanagh’s Super Cool and Gai Waterhouse’s Fiorente have come through their Cox Plate runs well and will continue onto the Melbourne Cup, while Chris Waller’s pair Hawkspur and Foreteller were surprise acceptors.Clarry Conners’ tough mare Dear Demi (18th) and the Pat Carey-trained Ethiopia (13th) are the only other two gallopers in the top 24 positions.
Report paulie wallnuts October 28, 2013 8:51 PM GMT
going to the breeders cup myself Thursday morning.........was going to bring out wonks for the paddock inspecting......but he wouldn't answer his phone.......wonder would anybody know any yank that would be as good as him over there......id be willing to pay for a real expert........
Report Arklearkle October 28, 2013 8:54 PM GMT
Unfortunately Simenon is NOT 100% certain to get in as he could be leapfrogged by the winners of the two Saturday races. Of course other runners could I presume drop out.
Report paulie wallnuts October 28, 2013 9:12 PM GMT
somebody ring that ape kavvie in heathrow......and tell the fool to come home.......
Report kavvie October 28, 2013 10:07 PM GMT
just getting on the aircraft now small nuts..thanks for the good wishes.willie assures me five min ago were certain to get in!!
Report tobywong. October 28, 2013 10:11 PM GMT
gl kavvie
Report winsamsoon October 29, 2013 8:25 PM GMT
Werribee International track notes - October 29th

DANDINO: Cantered over 2000-metres this morning. Looked very within comfortable in himself and continues to build well on his Caulfield form. (Next run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

SIMENON: Simenon had his first look up the Flemington straight this morning and was a bit on his toes in the new surroundings. He cantered from the winning post for a lap and quickened well down to the line. Richard Hughes has been confirmed as the jockey for the Cup. (Next run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

BROWN PANTHER: As usual a quick session for this horse cantering over a mile on two occasions. Cantered over a mile on two occasions. Trainer Tom Dascombe is expected to arrive in Melbourne on Wednesday. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

RED CADEAUX: Assistant trainer Robin Trevor-Jones is glowing about this horse and continues to be very satisfied with this journeyman’s progress. Cantered over a mile today at three-quarter pace. (First run: Emirate Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November

MOUNT ATHOS: Craig Williams rode another track work session on this horse which included a canter over 1200-metres led off by a work pony. They did the same again with Williams keeping Mount Athos on a hold and didn’t pass the pony to the line. Williams said that he was really happy to get a feel of him sitting behind a horse today. Faster work comes up tomorrow where Craig will “test out his motor”. (First run: Emirate Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

DUNADEN: Jamie Spencer is expecting in town over the next 24-hours to hop aboard this horse. Dunaden walked a lap today and trotted over 800-metres. Cantered off again fro the 1400-metres under a hold. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

VEREMA: A conservative morning from this mare. Walked a lap of the course and trotted over 1400-metres. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

TRES BLUE: Tommy Berry rode work this morning with a similar regime to the usual work for this three-year-old. “He pulled up very well”, Berry said. “One thing about him is that he is a very clean winded horse and I like that about him.” Work consisted of trotting over a mile, a light canter from the mile and a canter again over 1400-metres. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

VOLEUSE DE COUERS: James McDonald had his first sit on this import this morning walking a lap then a three-quarter pace gallop finishing off strongly. He said that he “was extremely happy with her. She is a very good moving mare and is a good moving mare unlike many European horses. I think there won’t be any worries with her on top of the ground.” (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)

ROYAL EMPIRE: Kerrin McEvoy rode work once again on this runner for Godolphin with trainer Saeed Bin Suroor also present. The horse cantered consistently over 1000-metres on two occasions and seemed very comfortable under McEvoy who said the horse “was nice and bright in himself” and that the main work session will be on Thursday. (First run: Emirates Melbourne Cup, 3200m, 5 November)
Report AFL October 30, 2013 11:23 PM GMT
The Melbourne Cup and Mark Twain

http://bytesdaily.blogspot.com.au

"Nowhere in the world have I encountered a festival of people that has such a magnificent appeal to the whole nation. The Cup astonishes me."

In 1895, at the age of 60, Mark Twain (1835 – 1910)  embarked on a world wide lecture tour to raise funds to pay creditors.  His tour took in Africa, India and Australia, where he lectured at the Athenaeum, visited the Victorian goldfields and attended the Melbourne Cup.  The latter event prompted him to make the above comment at a public lecture.

It should be remembered that the Melbourne Cup was first held in 1861, so that the exuberance he described had developed in a relatively brief period.

Unfortunately, whilst in Melbourne he also developed a painful carbuncle.

Twain described Melbourne and the Cup in a chapter in his 1897 book Following the Equator:

Melbourne spreads around over an immense area of ground. It is a stately city architecturally as well as in magnitude…It is the largest city of Australasia, and fills the post with honour and credit. It has one specialty; this must not be jumbled in with those other things. It is the mitered Metropolitan of the Horse-Racing Cult.

Its raceground is the Mecca of Australasia. On the great annual day of sacrifice - the 5th of November, Guy Fawkes’s Day - business is suspended over a stretch of land and sea as wide as from New York to San Francisco, and deeper than from the northern lakes to the Gulf of Mexico; and every man and woman, of high degree or low, who can afford the expense, put away their other duties and come. They begin to swarm in by ship and rail a fortnight before the day, and they swarm thicker and thicker day after day, until all the vehicles of transportation are taxed to their uttermost to meet the demands of the occasion, and all hotels and lodgings are bulging outward because of the pressure from within.

They come a hundred thousand strong, as all the best authorities say, and they pack the spacious grounds and grandstands and make a spectacle such as is never to be seen in Australasia elsewhere.

It is the “Melbourne Cup” that brings this multitude together. Their clothes have been ordered long ago, at unlimited cost, and without bounds as to beauty and magnificence, and have been kept in concealment until now, for unto this day are they consecrate. I am speaking of the ladies’ clothes; but one might know that.

And so the grand-stands make a brilliant and wonderful spectacle, a delirium of colour, a vision of beauty. The champagne flows, everybody is vivacious, excited, happy; everybody bets, and gloves and fortunes change hands right along, all the time. Day after day the races go on, and the fun and the excitement are kept at white heat; and when each day is done, the people dance all night so as to be fresh for the race in the morning.

And at the end of the great week the swarms secure lodgings and transportation for next year, then flock away to their remote homes and count their gains and losses, and order next year’s Cup-clothes, and then lie down and sleep two weeks, and get up sorry to reflect that a whole year must be put in somehow or other before they can be wholly happy again.

The Melbourne Cup is the Australasian National Day. It would be difficult to overstate its importance. It overshadows all other holidays and specialised days of whatever sort in that congeries of colonies. Overshadows them? I might almost say it blots them out. Each of them gets attention, but not everybody’s; each of them evokes interest, but not everybody’s; each of them rouses enthusiasm, but not everybody’s; in each case a part of the attention, interest, and enthusiasm is a matter of habit and custom, and another part of it is official and perfunctory. Cup Day, and Cup Day only, commands an attention, an interest, and an enthusiasm which are universal - and spontaneous, not perfunctory.

Cup Day is supreme it has no rival. I can call to mind no specialised annual day, in any country, which can be named by that large name - Supreme. I can call to mind no specialised annual day, in any country, whose approach fires the whole land with a conflagration of conversation and preparation and anticipation and jubilation. No day save this one; but this one does it.
Report winsamsoon October 31, 2013 7:00 PM GMT
Should Jet Away 7/4fav or Moriarty 16/1 win the Mackinnon on Sat Simenon will need one to be taken out to get a run. The winner of the Lexus is fairly certain to take up his spot pushing Simenon to 25. All above him are intended runners at this stage.
MACKINNON STAKES
28 Moriarty Needs to win
30 Jet Away Needs to win

LEXUS STAKES
27 My Quest For Peace Needs to win
31 Mr O'Ceirin Needs to win
33 Moudre Needs to win
34 Julienas Needs to win
35 Kingdoms Needs to win
37 Araldo Needs to win
38 Ironstein Needs to win
39 Motivado Needs to win
40 Let's Make Adeal Needs to win
41 Vaquera Needs to win
Eq 43 Bass Strait Needs to win
Garud Needs to win
Ruscello Needs to win

*The winners of both the Lexus and Mackinnon Stakes are exempt from the Melbourne Cup ballot

MELBOURNE CUP (3200m), FLEMINGTON, NOVEMBER 5
ORDER OF ENTRY
1 FAWKNER Robert Hickmott 54.5kg
2 DUNADEN (FR) Mikel Delzangles 58.5kg
3 GREEN MOON (IRE) Robert Hickmott 57.5kg
4 RED CADEAUX (GB) Ed Dunlop 56.5kg
5 SEA MOON (GB) Robert Hickmott 56.5kg
6 SUPER COOL Mark Kavanagh 54.5kg
7 VOLEUSE DE COEURS (IRE) Michael Moroney 54kg
8 FIORENTE (IRE) Gai Waterhouse 55kg
9 HAWKSPUR Chris Waller 53.5kg
10 TRES BLUE (IRE) Gai Waterhouse 51kg
11 BROWN PANTHER (GB) Tom Dascombe 55kg
12 FORETELLER (GB) Chris Waller 55kg
13 ETHIOPIA Pat Carey 54.5kg
14 DANDINO (GB) Marco Botti 54.5kg
15 VEREMA (FR) Alain de Royer Dupre 53kg
16 MOURAYAN (IRE) Robert Hickmott 54.5kg
17 SEVILLE (GER) Robert Hickmott 54.5kg '
18 DEAR DEMI Clarry Conners 51kg
19 SILENT ACHIEVER (NZ) Roger James 52.5kg
20 MOUNT ATHOS (IRE) Luca Cumani 54kg
21 ROYAL EMPIRE (IRE) Saeed Bin Suroor 54kg
22 MASKED MARVEL (GB) Robert Hickmott 54kg
23 SIMENON (IRE) William Mullins 53.5kg
doubtful 24 MR MOET Adam Durrant 53.5kg
***********CUP FIELD CUT-OFF**************
25 KELINNI (IRE) Chris Waller 53kg
26 IBICENCO (GER) Peter G Moody 53kg '
27 MY QUEST FOR PEACE (IRE) Peter G Moody 53kg
28 MORIARTY (IRE) Chris Waller 53kg
29 PRECEDENCE (NZ) Bart & James Cummings 53kg
30 JET AWAY (GB) David Hayes 53kg
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 5:55 AM GMT
hi guys ..just in from st kilda beach.27 degrees..a lovely spot.i wuldnt share your pessimism re simenon getting in or not.that fav should jet away in the mackinnon isnt that well fancied by a lot of the o called experts around here.and to say that the 22 above sim are cetain to run isnt true either.a good few are nursing niggles from what i was told outside in flemington.the  derby(worth 1.5m au dollars) crowd tomorrow is "resticted" to 100000!!.the hype is really something else.im going out tomorrow.i was talking to an english guy last ight in a pub and he said they are really sweet on mount athos and it my well go off fav.intresting bet in the tab offices.an aussie winner 1.55.non aussie 2.45..i mite have some of that..
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 6:22 AM GMT
Pretty confident he'll get a run Kavie, just read a few reports that he was def in which he isn't.
Pay $100 and get a stand seat on Cup day, you won't see a horse all day long with normal addmittance. Also if you are in early you can walk through the barns where all the horses are, well worth a look.
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 6:25 AM GMT
and to say that the 22 above sim are cetain to run isnt true either.

Actually what i said was;
the Lexus is fairly certain to take up his spot pushing Simenon to 25. All above him are intended runners at this stage.
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 6:29 AM GMT
Actually Silent Achiever is now out so he gets a run
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 6:39 AM GMT
we bought ticket for 74dollars each.what you saying wim?upgrade?or 100 extra?..looking forward to going out tomoro..meb some cty in general.i was out walking this morn at 7am.the place was buzzing!!..mmeting a few people tonite in the celtic bar?
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 6:41 AM GMT
do you fancy simenon?..ill back him again tue i think.he will be 25s id say.not much talk about him at all
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 6:53 AM GMT
Don't think I'd say confident but really underestimated by the aussies. I.ve been there 3 times, first time just got the cheapest tickets (maybe $30, I forget 2003) and swore never again. Got stand seats the next 2 times, think tickets were about $100 and had great view and much better when you can move around and know your seat is kept for you.
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 7:04 AM GMT
itl be my only time at it so if theres an upgrade available ill go for it.
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 7:09 AM GMT
210 dollars...ffs
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 7:26 AM GMT
How much is a pint around Melbourne?
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 7:45 AM GMT
8.90!!..the place were going tonite its a tenner. why its so dear in relation to other places..
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 8:22 AM GMT
It will seem like peanuts if ya end up in the Crown Casino at 3 in the morning
Report workrider November 1, 2013 11:27 AM GMT
Man up Kavvie , going all the way to aussie for a horse race , think about it man its something you can tell your grandchildren about , go get em , have a great time mate ...Hope he wins for you on tues , you deserve it ...
Report winsamsoon November 1, 2013 11:52 AM GMT
Sportingbet Australia market    PP  Lad

Fiorente               $7.00    5/1   5/1
Mount Athos            $7.50    7/1   7/1
Dandino               $11.00    8/1   6/1
Hawkspur              $13.00    7/1   6/1
Verema                $13.00   14/1  14/1
Voleuse De Coeurs     $13.00   12/1  12/1

Simenon               $21.00   12/1  10/1.
Report AFL November 1, 2013 10:20 PM GMT
Melbourne Cup: Silent Achiever out of field, Irish stayer Simenon gains a start

Updated Fri 1 Nov 2013, 8:17pm AEDT
abc.net.au

Silent Achiever has been withdrawn from next Tuesday's Melbourne Cup, guaranteeing a start to Irish stayer Simenon.

The 2012 New Zealand Derby winner sustained lacerations on her hind legs, which required stitches, during the Caulfield Cup.

Racing Victoria stewards had examined the mare on Friday as part of their routine inspections of the top 35 horses in the Melbourne Cup order of entry.

Stewards ordered she be re-examined tomorrow before final Melbourne Cup acceptances.

But on Friday afternoon trainer Roger James discovered the mare had an elevated temperature requiring treatment meaning she would be unable to accept for the Cup. He consequently advised stewards Silent Achiever would miss the race.

The withdrawal of Silent Achiever, who was 19th in the order of entry, elevated Simenon to 22 and assured him of a Cup berth.

Perth galloper Mr Moet (now 23rd) is also unlikely to accept, with Perth trainer Adam Durrant indicating he would prefer to return to Western Australia to prepare the horse for their summer carnival.

More withdrawals may see 12-times Cup-winning trainer Bart Cummings earn a start for his gelding Precedence which is outside the field in position 28.

But the possibility of the winners of the Lexus and the Mackinnon Stakes on Saturday jumping the queue with automatic qualification make it hard for the likes of Precedence to make the field.

Imported stayers Jet Away (29th) and Araldo (36th) are favourites to win the Mackinnon and Lexus respectively, and force their way into the Cup field.

First posted Fri 1 Nov 2013, 5:02pm
Report norn iron November 1, 2013 10:37 PM GMT
KAVVIE BACK GALCONDO IN THE FIRST RACE IT WILL PAY FOR YOUR DAY !AND ENJOY M8
Report kavvie November 1, 2013 11:23 PM GMT
jaysus..will i be out there for 10.30!?..
Report winsamsoon November 2, 2013 8:02 AM GMT
No.    Horse    Trainer    Jockey    Barrier    Weight
1    DUNADEN (FR)    Mikel Delzangles    Jamie Spencer     1    58.5kg
2    GREEN MOON (IRE)    Robert Hickmott    Brett Prebble     10    57.5kg
3    RED CADEAUX (GB)    Ed Dunlop    Gerald Mosse     23    56.5kg
4    SEA MOON (GB)    Robert Hickmott    Steven Arnold     7    56.5kg
5    BROWN PANTHER (GB)    Tom Dascombe    Richard Kingscote     6    55kg
6    FIORENTE (IRE)    Gai Waterhouse    Damien Oliver     5    55kg
7    FORETELLER (GB)    Chris Waller    Craig Newitt     15    55kg
8    DANDINO (GB)    Marco Botti    Ryan Moore     4    54.5kg
9    ETHIOPIA    Pat Carey    Rhys McLeod     14    54.5kg
10    FAWKNER    Robert Hickmott    Nick Hall     8    54.5kg
11    MOURAYAN (IRE)    Robert Hickmott    Brenton Avdulla     19    54.5kg
12    SEVILLE (GER)    Robert Hickmott    Hugh Bowman     9    54.5kg
13    SUPER COOL    Mark Kavanagh    Corey Brown     13    54.5kg
14    MASKED MARVEL (GB)    Robert Hickmott    Michael Rodd     2    54kg
15    MOUNT ATHOS (IRE)    Luca Cumani    Craig Williams     22    54kg
16    ROYAL EMPIRE (IRE)    Saeed Bin Suroor    Kerrin McEvoy     11    54kg
17    VOLEUSE DE COEURS (IRE)    Michael Moroney    James McDonald     21    54kg
18    HAWKSPUR    Chris Waller    Jim Cassidy     18    53.5kg
19    SIMENON (IRE)    William Mullins    Richard Hughes     12    53.5kg
20    IBICENCO (GER)    Peter G Moody    Luke Nolen     17    53kg
21    VEREMA (FR)    Alain de Royer Dupre    Christophe Lemaire     3    53kg
22    DEAR DEMI    Clarry Conners    Chris Munce     16    51kg
23    TRES BLUE (IRE)    Gai Waterhouse    Tommy Berry     20    51kg
24    RUSCELLO (IRE)    Ed Walker    Chad Schofield     24    50kg
Report kavvie November 2, 2013 8:59 PM GMT
sadly i see the squabbling is still continuing on the down royal thread.nothing ever changes.the derby day in flemington was unreal.bit to hot for me but an unreal atmosphere.black and white day fashion wise.i attended royal ascot cheltenham aintree etc in the past but quite honestly nothing compares to this.the organisation and crowd management is a joy to behold.trams and trains out to flemington run with precision timing.no queuesi had a good bet on the winner of the coolmore race at evens.my biggest bet of the day.i backed simenon again.now all we need it for him to win or at least place!!
Report workrider November 2, 2013 9:03 PM GMT
Well done mate , delighted you're enjoying your time down under , keep the faith in simenon
Report winsamsoon November 3, 2013 10:26 AM GMT
1. DUNADEN – J Spencer (1) 58.5kgs
He won this race in 2011, defeating Red Cadeaux by the smallest possible margin and when the son of Nicobar returned to Australia the following year and claimed the Caulfield Cup in brilliant fashion, he was installed the 6/1 favourite to make it back-to-back Melbourne Cups. He settled a long way back in last year’s editions and ran fourteenth (beaten 10 lengths) behind Green Moon. He has only had the one start since running second to Novellist in the G1 De Saint Cloud (2400m) in June and that was a second to last in the G2 Prix Foy (2400m) seven weeks ago. Not the ideal performance leading into the Cup and he will carry top weight of 58.5kgs.
Odds: $41.00

2. GREEN MOON – P Brebble (10) 57.5kgs
Last year’s Melbourne Cup winner who, after a seemingly disappointing effort in last year’s W. S. Cox Plate, his final hit-out before running in the Cup, started at the lucrative odds of 20/1. This year he has followed a similar path to the Cup and whilst his performance again in last week’s Cox Plate was plain, his starts prior have not been as good as last year’s efforts. Drew well last year (5) and had only 54.5kgs to carry compared to this year’s 57.5kgs and gate ten. On his recent form, it would be hard to select him on top but that said he’s a quality performer that has been set for this race specifically and can’t dismiss him as a chance. Only four horses in the race’s 151 year history have been able to win successive Melbourne Cups. Odds: $41.00

3. RED CADEAUX – G Mosse (23) 56.5kgs
The Ed Dunlop trained galloper ran second to Dunaden by a nose in 2011’s Cup and eighth in last year’s edition. The now 8yo has had seven starts this year in five countries with the most recent being a fourth (beaten 11 lengths) in the Irish St. Leger (2816m) behind Voleuse De Coeurs. He has carried over 60kgs at each of his last three starts and won’t know himself here after being allocated 56.5kgs however, not many horses win this race at their third attempt or from the second to widest gate. Odds: $67.00

4. SEA MOON – S Arnold (7) 56.5kgs
Teams Williams purchased this son of Beat Hollow from overseas specifically for this race and, as a 3/1 chance in his first Australian start (G1 Makybe Diva Stakes, 1600m) had big expectations placed upon him. Blundering badly when the gates opened did his chances no good and he finished twelfth of fourteen before, at his next start, getting too far back in a slowly run Underwood Stakes (G1, 1800m) and finished second to last behind It’s A Dundeel. It wasn’t until his third Australian start, when he stepped beyond 2000m for the first time and took on a weaker class of race, that he showed significant improvement and although first across the Listed Bart Cummings (2500m), a subsequent protest saw him relegated to second. This meant that to ensure his place in this field, he had to back up a week later in the G2 Herbert Power (2400m) where, from an on pace position, he was able to outstay Oasis Bloom and Simenon. Strong win last start under 59kgs but preparation hasn’t been ideal and this obviously much tougher. Odds: $15.00

5. BROWN PANTHER – R Kingscote (6)
A lightly raced 7yo by Shirocco who has won seven of his seventeen starts including two of his three starts this year. After winning the Listed Castle Stakes (2422m) and G2 Goodwood Cup (3219m) earlier this year, both in impressive fashion, more was expected of him at his most recent start in the Listed Greene King (2012m) when fifth of nine, beaten 4.9 lengths. That run was last September and was his first start in eight weeks. It was also at a distance short of his best so would confidently expect a better effort from him here. He’s been aimed at this race for over 12 month now and will be ready to produce. Odds: $21.00

6. FIORENTE – D Oliver (5)
Former Italian galloper who made his Australian debut in last year’s Melbourne Cup and produced a fantastic effort to run second to Green Moon. Under the guidance of Gai Waterhouse, the 6yo has had five starts since last year’s Cup with each one of those starts being of a high standard. After winning the G2 Dato’tan Chin Nam (1600m) three starts back, the son of Monsun closed very well from the tail of the field to run a half length fourth behind Happy Trails in the G1 Turnbull Stakes. At his next and most recent start, he drew the widest gate in last week’s W S Cox Plate and spent the first five furlongs of the 2040m working forward to sit outside leader and eventual winner, Shamus Award. It was a good effort to hang on for third given the run and that the winner was in receipt of 9.5kgs. He is racing very well at present and has the gate and jockey that makes him the leading contender.Odds: $7.00

7. FORETELLER – C Newitt (15) 55kgs
Honest galloper who claimed his second Group 1 victory four starts back when finishing strongly from the tail of the field to beat Puissance De Lune by a nose in the G1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m). His next two runs, the G1 Underwood Stakes and G1 Caulfield Stakes, both ran at a casual pace, were not run to suit his racing pattern and he finished twelfth and second (beaten 4 lengths) behind Atlantic Jewel respectively. He got back during the run again in last week’s Cox Plate but was warming up nicely over the concluding stages, closing well to run fourth, 1 ¼ lengths behind Shamus Award. Hasn’t been beyond 2400m previously however, he is honest and with the right run, could produce a cheeky effort. Odds: $34.00

8 – DANDINO – R Moore (4) 54.5kgs
He impressively won the Arlington St. Leger (2716m) in America back in August before travelling to Australian and lining up in the G1 Caulfield Cup (2400m). The Marco Botti trained galloper produced a sensational effort to circle the field around the home turn and finish hard to run second to Fawkner. He drops 2kgs on that run, a race which has traditionally been a very good form reference for the Melbourne Cup and he has also drawn ideally in gate 4. The son of Dansili hasn’t raced over this trip previously but Botti, who trained the not nearly well performed Jakkalberry to run third in last year’s Melbourne Cup, appears to have his charge spot on for Tuesday. Odds: $10.00

9. ETHIOPIA – R McLeod (14) 54.5kgs
The 5yo’s only win from his twelve starts was the ATC Derby in April of last year. Since that win the Pat Carey trained runner has had eight starts with the pick of them being his forth in the W. S. Cox Plate which unfortunately, was over twelve months ago now. His three starts back from a twenty week spell are not encouraging for the Cup, which last year he failed to beat a runner home in. He ran last in the G1 Underwood and at his most recent start, thirteenth (beaten 9.7 lengths) in the Caulfield Cup (2400m). He is a big price and just not travelling well enough at present to win the Cup. Odds: $81.00

10. FAWKNER – N Hall (8) 54.5kgs
The son of Reset has been in brilliant form this spring campaign. He was producing his best work late, three starts back, when fifth (beaten 2.3 lengths) behind Streama in the G1 WFA George Main Stakes (1600m). He then found himself in front a long way from home in the G1 WFA Turnbull Stakes (2000m) but fought on gamely, only being caught on the line by Happy Trails. There were some queries about his ability to see out a strong 2400m when he lined up in the G1 Caulfield Cup a fortnight ago however, he addressed those concerns in emphatic fashion courtesy of a great ride by Nick Hall and recorded a 1 ¼ length win. His path to this race has taken the traditional route and his form is faultless. Gets to two miles for the first time but a new distance proved no obstacle for him last start. Odds: $19.00

11. MOURAYAN – B Avdulla (19) 54.5kgs
He heads into this race with only two runs under his belt since returning from a nineteen week spell. Not was much expected from him in the first of those runs over the unsuitable 1600m however he did well to finish 3.6 lengths in seventh position behind Foreteller and Puissance De Lune. He had a month off and was floated to Sydney for the G1 Metropolitan Handicap where, under the steadier of 58kgs, he stuck on well from on on-pace position running eighth and only three lengths behind stable-mate Seville. He dropped back in distance at his next start; Saturday’s G1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) but being third up, still expected to see a little more than what he produced in finishing second to last and eight lengths from the winner.
Odds: $101.00

12. SEVILLE – J Bowman (9) 54.5kgs
The 6yo returned from an injury en-forced layoff in the G1 Memsie Stakes and, as a 66/1 chance, there was no surprise to see him run last in that race. He was well off the speed at his next two starts, the G2 Dato’tan Chin Nam (1600m) and G3 Naturalism Stakes (2000m) and it wasn’t until he got to beyond 2000m for this time since racing in Australia and, the handicap conditions of the G1 The Metropolitan that the son of Galileo produced his best. He was afforded a lovely run behind the leader in the Metropolitan and was able to secure a half-length victory over Julienas His next and most recent start was a return to WFA conditions and a shorter trip when he lined up in last week’s Cox Plate and finished seventh (beaten 5.6 lengths) – a similar run to that of which stable-mate Green Moon produced last year before winning the Cup. Better suited back the two miles under handicap conditions and is from a meticulous stable. Odds: $17.00

13. SUPER COOL – C Brown (13) 54.5kgs
Trainer and Jockey combined to win this race with Shocking back in 2009. This 4yo, after a sensational 3yo season which saw him claim the G1 Australian Cup (2000m), had high expectations placed upon him when he commenced this campaign in August, five starts ago. His first up run in the G1 Memsie Stakes (1400m) was an eye-catching performance and he followed that effort with another good performance when fourth (beaten ½ length) in the G2 Dato’tan Chin Nam behind Fiorente. In his latest three starts however, the son of Fastnet Rock has been just a few lengths of the pace as indicated by his 3 ¼ lengths fifth in the W. S. Cox Plate just over a week ago, his most recent start. He is racing as though a longer trip will suit however he has only past 2000m once before, in last year’s VRC Derby (2500m) against 3yos when second. Could put a few in front of him on his recent form. Odds: $41.00

14. MASKED MARVEL – M Rodd (2) 54kgs
The last of Team Williams’ runners and yet another imported from overseas who has had four runs since commencing his Australian campaign in September. The pick of those four runs came two starts back when he ran a head second to Honorius in the G3 Craven Plate (2000m) as 15/8 favourite. He was then outclassed at his next and most recent start, the W. S. Cox Plate a fortnight ago when finishing second to last and over eleven lengths from the winner. Each of the starts he has contested this preparation has been under the WFA scale and he’ll appreciate the handicap conditions of this race however, still think he’ll still have too much improvement to make. Odds: $26.00

15. MOUNT ATHOS – C Williams (22) 54kgs
This Luca Cumani trained runner produced an outstanding effort in this race last year, first up off an eleven week spell, when running fifth (beaten 3 ¼ lengths) behind Green Moon. The son of Montjeu has only had five starts since that run with the most recent being ten weeks ago in the Listed March Stakes (2816m) at Goodwood. He carried a whopping 62.5kgs to run a head second to Harris Tweed. He won’t know himself here with 54kgs and after last year’s race Cumani, who has ran second in the Cup twice with Bauer and Purple Moon, will have had a return trip firmly in his sights. Good money had come for him in the latter stages of the week however, after drawing gate 22, the money has eased and he’ll need to be going better than last year to overcome that obstacle. Odds: $10.00

16. ROYAL EMPIRE – K McEvoy (11) 54kgs
The Melbourne Cup is a race that, despite numerous attempts, has eluded the powerful Godolphin operation. This year, their hopes lay with this 5yo by Teofilo who, at his most recent start a month ago, ran 2 ½ lengths second to Secret Number in the G3 Cumberland Lodge (2414m). That continued his consistent form in the second half of this year, he is lightly raced and still on the improve however, he hasn’t ventured past 2400m previously and this will be the toughest field and race, that he has faced in his thirteen start career. Odds: $26.00

17. VOLEUSE DE COUERS – J McDonald (22) 54kgs
Mike Moroney, trainer of 2000 winner Brew, looks after this 5yo mare who last start was an impressive winner of the G1 Irish St. Leger (2816m) when carrying 61kgs. The Irish St. Leger has been the race used by many overseas raiders as their final hit-out before the Cup, including Vintage Crop. The St. Leger win was just reward for her good performance in both starts prior, the G3 Curragh Cup (2816m) and G3 St. Leger Trial (2816m) She is unbeaten in two starts over this trip, albeit in much weaker grade however, as indicated by her last start victory, she is a lightly raced and improving type. The draw will make it difficult but on her recent form the $17.00 is good value. Odds: $17.00

18. HAWKSPUR – J Cassidy (18)
The Chris Waller trained runner had held a spot at the top of the Cup betting market for many weeks but, after running seventh as 13/4 favourite in the Caulfield Cup (2400m), the 4yo is now out to a quote of $12.00. As he has done so here, he has drawn poorly at his last two starts and raced without any luck in the G1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) when ½ length fifth behind Fawkner and then got too far back but closed well in the Caulfield Cup. Nothing wrong with his last two starts and if Cassidy – who has won two Melbourne Cups – can find a spot, he’s certainly capable of figuring in the finish. Odds: $12.00

19. SIMENON – R Hughes (12) 53.5kgs
After solid form in the UK which included a head second to Ahzeemah in the G2 Lonsdale Cup (3299m) and a neck second in the G1 Ascot Gold Cup (4023m) to Estimate, he attracted plenty of interest when making his Australian debut in the G2 Herbert Power (2400m) three weeks ago. In a race that was dominated by the leading pair, the 7yo by Marju was doing his best work and closed well when third, beaten less than a length, to Sea Moon. That was his first run in seven weeks and will have served him well for here. He’ll have no problem with the distance, drawn well enough to get a spot in the run and for mine, is over the odds at $21.00. Odds: $21.00

20. IBICENCO – L Nolen (17) 53kgs
Got too far back in a race that was dictated by those up on the speed when twelfth (beaten 4.9 lengths) behind Seville. Took no chances at his next start and took up a forward spot in the G3 Geelong Cup (2400m) and dug deep late to claim Verdant by a neck on the line. The Geelong Cup has been a good lead-up race in recent years for the Cup however, this year’s edition didn’t have a great deal of depth. The rise in class combined with the wide gate he has drawn, will make this tough. Odds: $81.00

21. VEREMA – C Lemaire (3) 53kgs
This 5yo mare by Barathea who will be the first representative of His Highness The Aga Khan in the Melbourne Cup, comes to Australia in winning form. A strong win (in a field of five) in the G2 Prix De Nieuil (2800m) followed by a half length win in the in the G2 Prix Kergorlay (3000m), will have her prepped well for here. In her corner also is trainer Alain De Royer-Dupre trainer of Amercain, the winner of 2010’s Melbourne Cup. An inside gate appears to be a bonus and it saw her price firm from $13 into $11 however, the biggest field she has competed in has been eleven and she’ll need to be able to maintain her spot as they head down the straight the first time. Odds: $12.00

22. DEAR DEMI – C Munce (16)
Tough 4yo mare that lines up for start number 29 and her fourth in the last month. Each of those runs has been very good and include a third in the G1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) where from last in the run, she snuck home along the fence and on Saturday, producing a similar run to secure second in the WFA G1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m). That’s solid form from a Melbourne Cup point of view and she drops to the luxury weight of 51kgs and, be piloted by Munce who rode Jezabeel to victory in 1998’s Cup. Can’t knock her form and she’s nothing if not honest but still can’t find room for her in the top selections. Odds: $21.00

23. TRES BLUE – T Berry (20) 51kgs
Gai Waterhouse went close to winning her first Melbourne Cup last year with a horse (Fiorente) making his Australian and this year, will hope to go one better with this son of Anabaa Blue. The 4yo brings with him winning form including a ¾ length win in the G3 Prix De Reux (2500m) and a head victory in the G2 Gp Deauville (2500m) at his most recent start, ten weeks ago. Those two victories took his winning tally to four from ten starts and he is still improving. He has drifted from $19.00 from $21.00 after the barrier draw.Odds: $21.00

24. RUSCELLO – C Schofield (24) 50kgs
He earned his spot in this year’s cup with victory in Saturday’s G3 Lexus Stakes (2500m) at Flemington. That was only his second start in Australia since arriving from the UK in September and he’ll derive further improvement again. Hasn’t been over two miles previously but the Lexus win was strong but the class in that particular race, could be a few lengths off that required to be winning a Melbourne Cup. Drawn the outside gate.
Report workrider November 3, 2013 11:03 AM GMT
Brilliant write up winsamsoon , i have little interest in this race to be honest , but that was a most enjoyable read ...Thanks again....
Report winsamsoon November 3, 2013 11:41 AM GMT
^^^^^
Morgan Payne, Quality preview.
Agree with most, eceptions Fiorente, I don't rate and Dear Demi, I think will be in the money.
Simenon still looks a stand out bet, not with Boils 9/1
Report winsamsoon November 4, 2013 6:25 PM GMT
MELBOURNE Cup winners gain a degree of immortality almost from the moment they pass the famous Flemington winning post.
So it seems fitting that the horse that changed the global goalposts of the race more than any winner appears to have almost taken this literally.
Vintage Crop, the Irish raider whose 1993 Melbourne Cup win started the transformation of the race that stops a nation into the "Race That Interests The World'', is 26 years old in northern hemisphere terms.
In southern hemisphere terms, that makes him 27.
The horses that won the Cup the two years before him - Let's Elope (1991) and Subzero (1992) - are 26 and 25, and still much loved and admired.
But the chestnut born on March 1, 1987 - a week before another Irish act taking on the world, U2, released its acclaimed album The Joshua Tree - is slightly older than both of them, and still going strong.
Twenty years on from his groundbreaking victory, Vintage Crop lives in peaceful retirement at the Irish National Stud in County Kildare, on the other side of The Curragh to where he was born.
"He is fantastic and, touch wood, he is still in good nick," Irish National Stud chief executive John Osborne said. "In human terms, he is probably 100 years old. We are conscious of the fact that he is on borrowed time, but thankfully he is in good health and it is great to have him here."
Vintage Crop has lived at the stud since his retirement from the racetrack after finishing third to Doriemus in the 1995 Melbourne Cup.
He resides with a group of three champion Irish steeplechasers - Moscow Flyer, Kicking King and Beef Or Salmon - and is one of the star attractions of the stud, with his plush paddock on The Avenue.
It's one of the first things more than 100,000 visitors a year to the stud see on their arrival, and Vintage Crop had an audience with the Queen in 2011, wearing the Fosters Melbourne Cup rug he won on that wet November afternoon in 1993.
He had a carrot cake (with real carrots) when he celebrated his 26th birthday in March, with special visits from the man who trained him, Dermot Weld, and his former handler, David Phillips.
"The power of celebrities is not just for humans, I can assure you," Osborne said. "Everyone wants to see him and touch him and get a photograph him, even people from your part of the world.
"He is an unusually celebrated racehorse for what he achieved all those years ago.
"It is a tough business we are in, a competitive business and at times a cruel business. But it is also a business that has a lot of heart.''
In 1993, Vintage Crop ($15) and ninth-placed Drum Taps ($8) were the first internationally trained Cup runners.
There have been a total of 101 raiders overall and only five have won - Vintage Crop, Weld's other winner Media Puzzle (2002), Delta Blues (2006), Americain (2010) and Dunaden (2011).
When the Melbourne Cup gates open to a cacophony of cheers this afternoon, and with nine internationally trained horses and just as many imports now with Australian trainers in the field, it will be 4am in Ireland.
Vintage Crop will be far from the madding crowds, boxed up at night, to keep him from the cold.
But the fact so many Irish folk, so many people from all across Europe and the Middle East, throughout Asia to the Americas, will be setting their alarms to get up to watch the Melbourne Cup can be put down to what Weld and Vintage Crop did two decades ago.
Osborne will be one of those up early to watch the race. He has a personal connection to it. The Irish National Stud bred Cup runner Voleuse De Coeurs.
"I'll be watching and cheering for Voleuse De Coeurs. If she wins, you will probably hear me all the way from Ireland," he said.
The mare was meant to be Weld's Cup horse for next year, until Paul and Mike Moroney stepped in and bought the horse from under his nose.
Asked about Weld's response to the sale, Osborne said: "There were Cornflakes all over the kitchen that day."
GLENN MCFARLANE HERALD SUN NOVEMBER 04, 2013
Report kavvie November 5, 2013 11:03 AM GMT
just in from a great day.the winner of the cup was obvious really.doesnt always work out that way though.i done a boxed trifecta,had the  2nd 3rd 4th 5th in it.just left out the winner as i thought if it bombed itd be  a good pay out. was lucky i had simenon backed ew under uk and irish rules.the day and the race defy anything that could be explained without experiencing the day personally.lots of people were giving out about jamies ride on caravan rolls on..tricky yoke to me though looking at it all summer.damien oliver  top class pilot as good as any on our side.sheik mo has a nice sprinter.dont be suprised to see it at royal ascot next summer..
Report Arklearkle November 5, 2013 11:57 AM GMT
Damien obviously a very good punter also
Report workrider November 5, 2013 11:59 AM GMT
Have a lie down , rest that weary head of yours , and dream sweet dreams ...safe journey home mate...
Report wildmanfromborneo November 5, 2013 12:05 PM GMT
The first five home all European horses,four of the first five trained in Britain or Ireland,its truly an international race.

Kavvie sounds like a trip of a lifetime,I am glad you enjoyed it,safe home.
Report Kelly November 5, 2013 9:28 PM GMT
Aussies have good sprinters .  Amen .

Hard luck with the boxed thing kavvie , if the winner had bombed it would have paid for your trip !
Report pa lapsy November 6, 2013 10:50 AM GMT
A good thread,hope some of you managed to get the place with the books, ran a great race.
Report pa lapsy November 19, 2013 10:06 AM GMT
Simenon lines up in the Japan Cup over the weekend,see he is fairly fancied but appears to be up against the best of the Japanese. After coming a long way from that hurdle win at Mallow not too long ago.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com