Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lustrumm
06 Sep 13 14:23
| Topic/replies: 2,601 | Blogger: lustrumm's blog
I'll kick us off here as my our Rebels look to bridge an 8 year gap on the Roll of Honour.

Of course as each day passes those of us with an emotional attachment before more and more convinced our own team will win. However for my pick I go back to last week when I had a cold look at it.
I think these are 2 teams that are going to match up exactly with the same system and the only differential I can find is that Cork have won 30 Titles and Clare 3.
I think it will be a dour game, no goalscorer and the under the value but when all is said and done Cork will nose on with 10 minutes to go.

There is no other conceivable result. I do respect Clare and Davy Fitzgerald but at the end they will bow the knee to JBM as they have always done.
it won't be a game for the purist and the weather forecast is shocking, driving wind and rain
Pause Switch to Standard View All Ireland Hurling Final
Show More
Report kiddo112 September 8, 2013 4:25 PM BST
Cork 2.1x here, 6/4 with Bet365
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 4:31 PM BST
badly needed, c,mon now, fight for it.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 4:32 PM BST
referee is an awful tw@t Laugh
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 4:37 PM BST
Shocked shocking miss
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 4:39 PM BST
That feckin Clare half back line,will they ever let up.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 5:01 PM BST
how have Clare lost here, a travesty Shocked
Report freddiek September 8, 2013 5:02 PM BST
draw game
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 5:02 PM BST
Laugh they haven't then
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:02 PM BST
Clare would have been robbed but played an extra 40 seconds for no reason
Report Ozymandius September 8, 2013 5:02 PM BST
dats some feckin finish all de same
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 5:03 PM BST
A disgrace 27 secs over.a fookin disgrace,
Report Kelly September 8, 2013 5:03 PM BST
Cracker .  Clare should have won , Cork have a lot of guts though .  Replay next week ?
Report peckerdunne September 8, 2013 5:04 PM BST
Referee will never be stuck for the rest of his days Laugh
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 5:04 PM BST
Laugh a draw was a fair result, good man Jimmy, what was he watching??
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:05 PM BST
JBM shows his class in that interview when he could be seen saying that ref has to blow up,
Report Kelly September 8, 2013 5:06 PM BST
At least the bet came up too ( without any controversy ) .  How did Clare not win ?
Report Ozymandius September 8, 2013 5:07 PM BST
Will we have the same ref next time?

Hopefully he can afford a bigger pair of shorts.  For those watching on HD it must have been obscene at times. He was a big lad and hung like a horse.
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 5:07 PM BST
A disgrace of a referee,what a shower post match,not one critism,the feckin game was well over,say it ye shower.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 5:08 PM BST
give it up pa ffs, he gave near everything Cork's way in the first half Laugh
Report MCKENNA September 8, 2013 5:08 PM BST
Sheedy right saying Cork should not have gone for the last sideline point,gave the goalie a free drive up the pitch to put them back under pressure. Replay will be on 29th after U21 final next wk & football final on Sun week.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 8, 2013 5:09 PM BST
was an enjoyable watch anyway Grin
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 5:10 PM BST
I,m fuming Prem,they didn,t deserve it i know, but no way should there have been an extra 27 sec.
Report peckerdunne September 8, 2013 5:10 PM BST
They thought putting it out of play was enough, i know i did. Anyway we wont fight over a few seconds, it's hurling and not an exact science.

Enjoy the replay
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:12 PM BST
Very enjoyable as a neutral,can ye imagine Davy Fitz's interview if he was in JBM's position-the toys would have been hurled out of the pram.
Report peckerdunne September 8, 2013 5:12 PM BST
TRUE TRUE TRUE
Report workrider September 8, 2013 5:12 PM BST
Delboy , showing his Other side again i see...
Report Ozymandius September 8, 2013 5:13 PM BST
I couldn't help but notice, Wonky.  Will he be on duty next time?
Report Wallflower September 8, 2013 5:14 PM BST
It's AT LEAST 2 minutes.....not 2 minutes. No issue whatsoever.

Fantastic match........
Report Wallflower September 8, 2013 5:15 PM BST
I think replay is Saturday 28th
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:16 PM BST
I doubt the final will be on a Saturday
Report Wallflower September 8, 2013 5:17 PM BST
I didn't think so either - source is Hoganstand matchtracker thing. Prefer a Sunday myself.
Report Santry September 8, 2013 5:18 PM BST
How did Clare not win that game?. Having said that it was over 72 minutes when the Clare keeper pucked it out and should have been blown. This attitude of "a draw is a fair result" within the GAA always should be taken into account when betting.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 8, 2013 5:19 PM BST
Brilliant match and what a gentleman is Jimmy Barry Murphy,entitled to be a slight bit disappointed but gave an interview that showed his class.

Pa Lapsy I get your point but it would have been highway robbery.
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:20 PM BST
You're correct Wallflower Sat.28th ,Surprised.Will the Clare players play u-21 next week??
Report MCKENNA September 8, 2013 5:26 PM BST
Davy bursting to have a go at the ref! To be fair, he has a case in a lot of decisions and I backed Cork.
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 5:26 PM BST
I know it would Wildman, a travesty, but Santry has it in a nutshell,ref gave Clare a chance to level and would have gone further than the 27 sec too,no reason to have allowed so much over the two minutes.
I,ll say no more.No one has said anything in the studio so far about it,great result for the gaa with another full house due. Great game in the end.
Report peckerdunne September 8, 2013 5:27 PM BST
DAVY FITZ

WHAT A FIRST CLASS P R I C K....(ME ME ME)
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:28 PM BST
Totally agree Peckerdunne ,some contrast between him and JBM.
Pa-Eddie Breenan brought it up but Cyril Farrell fobbed him off.
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:29 PM BST
Brennan
Report wildmanfromborneo September 8, 2013 5:30 PM BST
Oh the contrast between the two managers.
Report Wallflower September 8, 2013 5:34 PM BST
Guys, as I said........it's not 2 minutes....it AT LEAST 2 minutes PLUS additional time at referee's discretion.

The vast majority of matches go past the announced injury time, and often a lot more than 27 seconds.

I'll be all over Clare for the replay - think they're a better team.
Report peckerdunne September 8, 2013 5:37 PM BST
At least 2 minutes, correct.

Cork needed the match and will kill Clare next time out Laugh
Report MCKENNA September 8, 2013 5:37 PM BST
Fair play to Nash thinking of Barry Kelly's wife after going through that game. Class fella.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 8, 2013 5:38 PM BST
It might be a good idea to bring in the rugby rule that time is up when the ball goes out of play,everyone knows where they stand.
Report peckerdunne September 8, 2013 5:40 PM BST
Nah...deliberate foul..
Report dj876 September 8, 2013 5:42 PM BST
If it was a draw at the time of the puck out it would have been blown up,the referee(GAA)made sure it was a draw for financial incentives.
Well Done to Kelly and DB1974 on the close match bet.
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 5:46 PM BST
Wallflower take on board what you are saying and you might well be right,my understanding would be they could add injury time to injury time in the event of slow play,another injury etc but thought the two minutes would be it and not 2.30,2.15 or 2.45. Didn,t see any reason for extra myself,the sideline ball was taken relatively quickly.
Put it another way if the sides were level after the 2 minutes were up, i,d bet a pound to a penny he would have blown on the stroke of 2 mins.
Report MCKENNA September 8, 2013 5:52 PM BST
Thats the reason why they dont follow the women and bring in the countdown clock and the hooter to end the game - when there's a chance of another €5/6m payday for the GAA, better to leave it to the ref to take control of that small matter.
Report Cork Langer September 8, 2013 6:08 PM BST
No neutral or fair minded person could surely want to deny Clare a replay...?

We were totally outplayed in every position and were fortunate to still have 15 on the pitch, would have been a travesty for Ryan to have finished on a losing side having been the outstanding player all through the match.

We need to accept we were very lucky to ever have gotten into a winning position and take comfort from the never say die attitude and belief shown by the team that kept us in touch with Clare.

To dwell on time keeping issue is pointless, Clare can count themselves lucky perhaps to have had the opportunity to level but over the whole match we can count ourselves lucky that Clare weren't already in a winning game position at half time.

Roll on the replay, further refreshments required here....!
Report reb September 8, 2013 6:22 PM BST
The better team drew.
Report paulie wallnuts September 8, 2013 6:24 PM BST
poor auld pa lapsy never saved on the draw....you done your twine .....get over it....
Report pa lapsy September 8, 2013 6:32 PM BST
poor ould paulie spouting bollix again..... backed them outright at 12/1(Limerick hammering Cork thread).....i,m over it paulie.... God Bless....
Report carrot1960 September 8, 2013 6:35 PM BST
hope its not a draw in 2 weeks when i come over for the football  doubt if my body or pocket could take a replay
Report paulie wallnuts September 8, 2013 6:36 PM BST
Kelly   

08 Sep 13 17:03 

08 Mar 01 
    | Topic/replies: 4,201  | Blogger: Kelly's blog   

Cracker .  Clare should have won , Cork have a lot of guts though .  Replay next week ........how any sane man could even think that they would play again next week is comical...jesus in all fairness...Kilkenny and galway didn't play the following week last year... mother and sweet divine..
Report The Gotchee September 8, 2013 6:54 PM BST
Anybody? Time and date of replay?
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 8, 2013 7:22 PM BST
Saturday the 28th Sept but the wonderful world of GAA has no clue yet as to what time. Are we surprised ?. No, not at all, there could only be one of two results, Clare win, or Cork win. Oh well goodness me we never thought this through, it could be a draw. Hey An-tUachtaran whats the chance of a draw, oh 12's or better with powers, yerra no chance lads. Its hurling. Next question. Hey an tUcchtaran what time do you want the dinner, its stir fry btw, Oh stirfry , let me see, no bacon then? No tUachtaran, you said keep that for the football game for Mayo men. Oh yes let me see I will give one of them the cup at about 5pm so grub for 5.20, I'll be starving. A draw not a hope no need for any arrangements (cue loudLaughLaugh), we make it up as we go along.
Tickets down to euro50 but no time fixed no need who needs to know ?
Report lustrumm September 8, 2013 7:49 PM BST
Have you ever seen a Game like it? In all my time going to games I've never known excitement like it. When Cork got the 3rd goal there was such a rumble off the stand I thought the roof would come off. It was so loud you couldn't even communicate with the person beside you except for sign language. People were in shock with the excitement at the end. For ages after people were just glued to their seats disbelieving what they had just seen. I don't know where the Cork people get all the tickets but there seemed to 3 for every Clare supporter that I could see.

It would have been daylight robbery if Cork had won, yet if there was a few more minutes or extra time they would have I am certain. How Clare lifted themselves to equalise I will never know but even more mysterious was how did Clare not put Cork away. They owned them. I was sitting in the Hogan stand around the 40 yard line and it was almost unfair how much ball the Clare half back line won in the second half (surely all 3 will be all stars) and yet it was nearly the Cork Half forward line that stole it in the end. They lived off scraps because Clare just owned the half back line. Inspirational and all as Nash was surely pucking the ball into the half forward line time after time was pointless.
Clare must have had 4 or 5 times when the shot wide when that very score would surely have been the clincher. I guess that was the pressure of the occasion and the weight of history.

I don't think I ever got a game so wrong. It was spellbinding to watch. A final note. Clare bullied Cork around the field and if Cork are to win the replay (and I think they will) they are going to have to open the field up right to the 4 corners. Clare are too big and strong for Cork for the game to be played between the 40's.

Clare might not win this year but they are stone wall certainties to break through over the next couple of years with Davy Fitz at the helm. I am converted now
Report el gato September 8, 2013 8:56 PM BST
el clasico
Report el gato September 8, 2013 8:56 PM BST
el clasico
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 8, 2013 9:09 PM BST
Yes an exciting game but I would need to watch it again to really see if it was of such a high standard. I somehow don't think so. Just really exciting fare, and I was confident of a big game from Clare as I know Davy was most keen to get into the hot Banner seat, and I agree they should be certs to bag one or more McCarthy's in the lifetime of this team. Look real promising and loads more to come. JBM is good for Cork, also and they wont be far away, in the years ahead, if he stays at it. Its a very demanding job. And lustrum your spot on with your analysis when you say that Clare should have won handy, yet Cork could have won, and that sideline at the end was rushed when possession should have been kept by the rebels and run the clock down but at the end of the day probably a very fair result. 13's on here for the draw.
Report The Gotchee September 8, 2013 9:11 PM BST
As a neutral I thought the referee gave Clare nothing. The Cork full back should have got the line for striking, he bottled that one.
Report The Gotchee September 8, 2013 9:18 PM BST
Any thoughts on the man of the match? Bugler for me.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 8, 2013 9:21 PM BST
Clareman, and I go for the freetaker Ryan isn't it ?............though in fairness I feel it should be shared again with Pat Horgan............he was a star, again for the rebels
Report lustrumm September 8, 2013 9:25 PM BST
I actually saw that incident as it was down my side. Clare full forward was pulling and dragging for the whole game up to it and had a hold of Cronin's hurley everytime time the ball came in. The swipe was not mailicious and although he could have gone for it that would have been unfair.

Afterwards they both concentrated on the ball and it was a good match up. Double yellow in a final the right call imo
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 8, 2013 9:30 PM BST
From looking at the stance and concern on the face of JBM I think he felt a red was going to come but not going to admit anything of the sort, I thought he was gone, what's the rule strike or attempt to strike with the hand/hurley = red
Report wildmanfromborneo September 8, 2013 9:31 PM BST
I thought the game had everything,high skill levels,excitement,great goals and a fantastic finish kind of typical of the whole season.

Nobody now can gripe about the GAA after the last two matches in the hurling and football puts soccer to shame.

The graciousness of Jimmy Barry Murphy was in contrast to the surliness of Fitzgerald.
Report Cupwinkcook September 8, 2013 9:35 PM BST
Conor Ryan was my man of the match.

Drained after the game.

God bless the man who sold me the ticket.
Report Cupwinkcook September 8, 2013 9:37 PM BST
There was a Maor Uisce who covered a rake of ground over the 70 minutes and he won as much ball as the Cork half forward line.
Report el gato September 8, 2013 9:54 PM BST
conor ryan was immense, cork dead and buried without horgan........id give mom to ryan
Report lustrumm September 8, 2013 10:29 PM BST
Clare have a point re the Ref but the overriding factor is that Clare had several chances to finish the game but did not. Conor Ryan a worthy winner of MOTM
Report timberman September 8, 2013 10:38 PM BST
Amazing match...pleasure to be alive to see such a spectacle...!
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 8, 2013 10:49 PM BST
Late September, surely heavy NH ground, and both teams seem best on a fast surface, still anyone's cup, and delighted that Waterford won as we are vey close to the Deise down this way, should be great celebrations in the County. '65years is a very long time'
now where's me guitar, Laugh

Glad your alive timberman, and enjoyed the game.
Report Rocketfingers September 8, 2013 11:10 PM BST
Loved that today, great finish, miles ahead of the endless hand passing we see in gaelic football where we are lucky to see 1 decent game a year and to boot there is some skill involved as well. GAA please put more resources into Hurling development.
Report neill d September 8, 2013 11:16 PM BST
Backed Clare today and they played just as well as I thought they would. They outclassed Cork at times, I think they thought they had it won and the meanness went out of their game.

I was delighted they got the draw as it would have been terrible for such a talented team to be scarred by losing that today. Davy is a very good coach, but he is no genius, he has fantastic players at his disposal and they will be a force for years to come.
Report Rocketfingers September 8, 2013 11:24 PM BST
Seriously why do they put all their resources in to gaelic football? As mentioned above we have seen one decent game of the hand passing stuff this summer compared to hurling and it's like that every summer imo.
Report silvergreaser September 9, 2013 9:36 AM BST
I'd say even many Cork fans wouldn't begrudge Clare the draw?, to win an All Ireland after been comprehensively out played for the vast majority wouldn't have the same effect if they won by playing well.

But things are not all that bad from a Cork perspective, they had limited possession but when they had it they looked like scoring every time, they were just outfought.

They need to toughen up big time for the next game, if they can do that they will have every chance of winning it because they have plenty of players that can do damage if given enough opportunities, 3 goals is not a bad haul considering how they were out muscled for much of the contest.

And to think I backed Clare at 8/1 to win Munster, if they performed like they did yesterday they would've sailed through munster?.
Report lustrumm September 9, 2013 11:34 AM BST
I have written before about replays (albeit this was for a football replay) and they are never as climactic. We have had our fun for the year and the next day will be just about results I would say. Getting late in the season and if the weather turns that will be a factor too.
All that said such is the Golden run the GAA is on that another classic can't be written off and they are giving them every chance.
It looks like the replay will be under lights with an 17:00 the earliest that Dublin City Council will allow. The first final under lights.
Report neill d September 9, 2013 2:17 PM BST
^^That should be a brilliant atmosphere, can't wait for it. In Dublin that week and all.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 9, 2013 5:09 PM BST
neill; do you expect a full house again, or will tickets be more readily available ? I wonder what was the attendance at the 2012 replay ? of course that was played on a Sunday, not 5pm on a Saturday.
Report neill d September 9, 2013 5:26 PM BST
Am not sure Jay, I'm going to ask a few of the lads from the clubs about it, won't push it too hard if they are scarce as there are more deserving than myself!! Good point though, it might not be a sell-out due to the time, but with the hype after yesterday and it being under lights it will be a very special occasion.

On last year, the crowd might have been smaller for the replay because KK are there nearly every year and the Galway crowd are used to disappointment and don't travel in huge numbers anyway. The cork hurlers are always among the best supported teams around and its a huge occasion for Clare so i'm not holding my breath on the tickets.
Report lustrumm September 9, 2013 6:01 PM BST
They would sell 200,000 tickets for the Replay if they were there. Cork were in a football replay in the early 90's and the replay was insane for tickets. All the Students were back, no holidays etc..
for sure many will not be able to come back from abroad but they are only a drop in the ocean considering all the people back from the Summer. The age profile might be younger on the 28th but there will be no tickets going cheap. A Saturday evening replay with the night stretching on in front of you in Dublin. Bring it....

On that point I must remark to have found a solution to the touting problem. I never saw 1 ticket change hand by the Touts yesterday. If you had a ticket you were going and if you didn't you were not and no tickets could be got. In the ground I did not see 1 unoccupied seat. full house
Report kavvie September 9, 2013 6:03 PM BST
id nearly think it wont sellout.maybe im wrong
Report lustrumm September 9, 2013 8:17 PM BST
I am right I assure you. I will agree that many regulars won't go and there will be trade in tickets but this will sell out twice over with people looking to go. Add to that the tickets being halved in price and it ends the debate. Kavvie you don't know Cork fans if you think Croke Park won't sell out.
I could sell 80,000 tickets myself for the game in Cork and I am sure Clare fans would say the same. I can't wait for it
Report kavvie September 9, 2013 9:08 PM BST
neither can i.i think clare are simply better than cork and will prove it next time.
Report The Gotchee September 9, 2013 9:25 PM BST
With no minor match I'd say there will be a fair chance for a neutral to pick up a ticket. I agree with kavvie,I don't think it will be a sell out. The 5pm saturday throw in is a disaster for travelling fans, what are the GAA thinking?
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 9, 2013 9:46 PM BST
I agree with kavvie also, and with The Gotchee, even though the replay of 2012 was seemingly a sell out, 5pm Sat Dublin, shopping, traffic, if a wet day, hotel prices, cost of food,  fuel prices, tolls, only one game.......Gaa clueless, making it up as they go along.........
Report GANT007 September 9, 2013 10:01 PM BST
When would you play it?.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 9, 2013 10:56 PM BST
There are many big salaries being dished out by the GAA to guys to plan these games. However I am not one of the salaried ones.
Report GANT007 September 9, 2013 11:08 PM BST
And here was I thinking you might have a solution.
Report ACE JACK DOUBLE SUITED September 9, 2013 11:20 PM BST
People have sweet FA hols left in September so are more likely to travel if its on a Sat...Anyway we should'nt even be having this discussion...who would not have wanted extra time yesterday?? Finals should be settled on the day..Look at last years final an unbelievable final and finish and the next day was a farce
Report Wallflower September 10, 2013 1:44 PM BST
Why is 5pm on Saturday a disaster for travelling fans?Confused......not much difference between that and 3.30pm on a Sunday. 90 mins difference that's all, plus for many no work the next day. Hardly a "disaster" - or am I missing something?
Report Rocketfingers September 10, 2013 1:52 PM BST
Clashes with Swans v Arsenal + LOI mtaches probably too, will be amazed if there is a full house.
Report kavvie September 10, 2013 3:42 PM BST
ur gas rocket..im sure the gaa are quaking in their boots at the kentucky fried league decimating their all ireland gate!!
Report Wallflower September 10, 2013 4:10 PM BST
Thx, Rocket - I see now why its a disaster - never thought of that clash. What were the GAA thinkingShocked!! Croke Park will be empty.
Report kingrat September 10, 2013 4:40 PM BST
traffic wise,its going to be a fcking nightmare  for the travelling supporters who come up and go home in the 1 day.there will be no problem getting tickets on the day in the pubs around croke pk if any of ye are interested,i doubt the stadium will be full to capacity.
Report kavvie September 10, 2013 4:44 PM BST
maybe its not too late for the gaa to change.so many clare/cork people will want to watch swansea?..and also ucd v bohs...what were they thinking at all!?
Report kingrat September 10, 2013 4:50 PM BST
the game should be on the 1st sunday of october or have it on after the ladies final.every1 is a winner but unfortunately the powers that be (gobsh1tes) dont do common sense!Shocked
Report peckerdunne September 10, 2013 5:09 PM BST
Big game hurling under lights....No thanks....

And the eve throw in for supporters is ridiculous imho.....

Cant wait all the same....
Report Mr Mischief September 10, 2013 5:56 PM BST
The football should be put back a week to accommodate the hurling
Report carrot1960 September 13, 2013 9:42 PM BST
mischief ,you cant be serious surely, what do expect myself and the rest of the thousands of  people coming over for the game to do, ask the nice airlines and the hotel owners to give us our money back or what
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com