Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lustrumm
26 Jul 13 13:36
| Topic/replies: 2,449 | Blogger: lustrumm's blog
I fancy Cork to do Kilkenny on Sunday and at the prices this is must play.

1. Thurles. Its a different dynamic and while kilkenny have beaten Cork there last year inthe League the venue brings out the best in Cork traditionally. The wide open spaces are ripe for Cork's open game. This is a young fit side with a point to prove and nothing to lose.

2. No matter what way you slice it this Kilkenny team is on the way back down. After rising to incredible heights the last twice to see of Tipp and Waterford surely it is too much to ask them to peak again to face a Cork side with absolutely nothing to lose
3. While this may not be a good Cork side they are better than they showed in Limerick and look for a backlash on Sunday. nothing to lose.

1/3 and 10/3 is all wrong.

I fancy Galway to win the other game but to be honest I thought Clare would be favourites. I'll have a small double just in case
Pause Switch to Standard View Fancy Cork on Sunday and here is why
Show More
Report pa lapsy July 26, 2013 2:08 PM BST
Don't disagree with KK being on the way down but Corks 2nd half against Limerick was in all honesty fairly brutal,probably have to play even a little better than they did against Clare and go for goals which they aren't doing to go through. Know you can't take too much into weather forecasts but Sunday afternoons one for the Midlands is potential localised flooding,not sure a wet afternoon will suit Corks style.
Obviously hoping you're right and just maybe the Limerick game was a blessing,still couldn,t be that optimistic.
Report kavvie July 26, 2013 2:21 PM BST
stranger things have happened.if it rains or is wet it wont happen tho.kk wil grind it out
Report kingrat July 26, 2013 2:47 PM BST
personally i think the price is right.mentally cork were on the floor after the munster final.imo ,deep down they  expected to win that game and were fully tuned in.kk have weathered the storm when they were severly under the cosh against 2 decent outfits.so which team is in the better place mentally now?kk will have regrouped and i really dont think the venue or the weather is a factor.cork will need to get a good start because if they dont ,i can see them collapsing.i will be playing the cats -4.
Report lustrumm July 26, 2013 3:18 PM BST
Kingrat if I was backing Kilkenny it is on the handicap too. I think a blowout either way will be the result. Such is my hatred for Kilkenny I wouldn't back them if you gave me the result beforehand but I can see the logic of them being too good for Cork plain and simple.

I thought they would bet 4/9 9/4 so I am happy with 10/3 Cork to pay for my trip to Thurles on the Train
Report neill d July 26, 2013 3:21 PM BST
Problem Cork have is that they are really going to struggle to get scores. They reached for Cussen the last time, he barely got a puck and he was tried and failed years ago. That is what you're dealing with. The Kilkenny backline is still a force to be reckoned with and bar Cronin and Pa Horgan, I don't think yer at much.
Report kingrat July 26, 2013 3:29 PM BST
maybe yre right lus but i'm afraid it will be a matter of  cheerio! cheerio! cheerio! as u make yre return trip.Laugh
Report Dan Chipowski July 26, 2013 3:40 PM BST
Don't think Cork are good enough personally, that said Waterford are no great shakes and they should have beaten Kilkenny. Circumstances were right for Waterford though, it being a week after the KK/Tipp match and KK being on the go for a few weeks.

Think KK will win and cover the handicap personally.

I don't see why you thought Clare would be favs for the other game? Confused Galway weren't up to much against Dublin, but nothing we've seen from Clare this year suggests they should be favourites against them. Galway by 3, imo.
Report Arklearkle July 26, 2013 3:49 PM BST
I reckon Kilkenny will win Sunday and will go on to win the title again this year but it will be their last for a number of years. It will take them quite a while to get back in the winning groove when the inevitable retirements come. Meanwhile I can see them turning the tables on the dubs later on. Its between those two and Galway.
Report neill d July 26, 2013 4:24 PM BST
I think Galway are brutally aware of the fact that they should have won it last year. Cork and Tipp have been strong enough mentally to get over that in the last few years, not sure Galway are.
Report reb July 26, 2013 4:28 PM BST
As with most markets these days the odds are not lying. I remember the days when I could get 6/4 on the equivalent of a coin toss. At least I knew it wouldn't last.
Report jimeen July 26, 2013 4:36 PM BST
Reb,there is no money in the markets for GAA and even though I kind of agree with Lustrumm,sadly there is no way of getting on and getting a reasonable price. The minute you try to lay a team on this rubbish site then you will find it next to impossible to get matched for anything decent. If somebody wants to oppose Kilkenny in this match then they will be laying at 2's on and paying commission on top,making it unattractive in the extreme. I give Cork a chance myself but I wouldn't lay Kilkenny at 8/15 either.
Report kavvie July 26, 2013 6:07 PM BST
the price is wrong.cork are wrong at 100/30...win or lose.
Report pa lapsy July 26, 2013 6:22 PM BST
If you look at the All Ireland outright,KK are 13/8 and Cork 12/1(books best) so maybe not so much Kavvie. Maybe the mileage would to do Cork outright if you fancied them Sunday,pending on the manner if they did win and who they were up against in the semi could possibly be as low as 5/2?
Report snap crackle and pop July 26, 2013 6:23 PM BST
Exactly pa. Def not over priced at 100/30
Report jimeen July 26, 2013 6:29 PM BST
Cork at 10/3 and the draw at 12/1 is in effect laying Kilkenny at 4/9,and that with no charges is more than what you will get on this thing if that is the way somebody wanted to play them for anything reasonable.
Report neill d July 26, 2013 6:30 PM BST
Shane O'Neill is a huge loss to Cork, he is their best defender by a mile. If Fennelly lines out at centre-forward, I can't see a Cork back capable of marking him. I'd put Cronin back on him personally. I think he should be the Cork centre-back anyway tbh.
Report kavvie July 26, 2013 6:39 PM BST
just feel theres a big performance in this cork team..
Report lustrumm July 26, 2013 7:27 PM BST
That is my only logic Kavvie. Cork were winning All Ireland's before we were ever born and they have the right man at the helm to come out of nowhere. Cussen was a mistake the last day but that is the place to make it when all is lost anyway.
All things being equal Kilkenny will win but take this from a Corkman, unlike the Footballers who will let you down time and again the Hurlers will produce on the big day. History is littered with no hope Cork teams that beat better touted opposition.

I also agree with others re Kilkenny, if they get through Sunday they will go on and win it again. Kilkenny aside there is nothing between any of the rest of them imo. I just happen to think Cork will catch them on the hop on Sunday
Report Irish_Celtic July 27, 2013 8:53 AM BST
RE: Kilkenny v Cork 
1. EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE

2. PAUL MURPHY DANESFORT

3. J.J. DELANEY ****S

4. JACKIE TYRRELL JAMES STEPHENS

5. TOMMY WALSH TULLAROAN

6. BRIAN HOGAN O’LOUGHLIN GAELS

7. KIERAN JOYCE ROWER INISTIOGE

8. CILLIAN BUCKLEY DICKSBORO

9. MICHAEL FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

10. COLIN FENNELLY© BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

11. RICHIE POWER CARRICKSHOCK

12. EOIN LARKIN JAMES STEPHENS

13. WALTER WALSH TULLOGHER ROSBERCON

14. RICHIE HOGAN DANESFORT

15. HENRY SHEFFLIN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

Kilkenny back to full strength bar TJ Reid.Intresting to see how how fit Shefflin and Fennelly are.
Report Kelly July 27, 2013 9:40 AM BST
Circumstances have conspired to make me miss most of the hurling matches so far this year , maybe its saved me a few quid though as there have been a few relative surprises .

The odds say Kilkenny and Galway , but think there could be value in running .  Looking forward to both matches , assuming they are available on RTE .  Good luck to all in counties involved .
Report keen leader July 27, 2013 12:43 PM BST
not having a bet on the game, I would be tempted by Kilkenny at 1/2, still think they will win the AI, conceivable they could beat 5 munster teams to do so. would not back this cork team with counterfeit. they have won one league and one championship game all year, and are a weaker team in terms of strength than the 2012 version. I could be wrong, I rate those backing cork as clutching at straws.
Report lustrumm July 27, 2013 1:53 PM BST
Value seeking that is all KL and playing a hunch. I agree to the eye they have no chance but form is out the Window so far this year in the Hurling
Report lustrumm July 27, 2013 1:58 PM BST
FYI Kelly TV3 are out of the Loop now. RTE have the rights to all the "All Ireland series" i.e. Q/F onwards

I don't think TV3 have the rights to any of the football qualifiers either so whatever is on TV from now on is on RTE
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 27, 2013 2:06 PM BST
And thank the lord for that lustrum, as TV3 are shocking, last Sunday I watched the Donegal v Monaghan game on the beeb and it was really good, plenty cameras too, not just the one ...............
Report jackdaws July 27, 2013 11:57 PM BST
what price kilkenny minus 8 points?
Report Shotgun Willy July 28, 2013 10:49 AM BST
I think Cork in Thurles will be much better than Cork down in Limerick
Report Shotgun Willy July 28, 2013 10:49 AM BST
I think Cork in Thurles will be much better than Cork down in Limerick
Report pa lapsy July 28, 2013 2:25 PM BST
Kilkenny trying to bully their way here, Cool heads yer flyin.
Report kavvie July 28, 2013 2:32 PM BST
100/30 looking big now!!
Report pa lapsy July 28, 2013 2:36 PM BST
Sssssscchhhh Kavvie.
Report Timeforchange July 28, 2013 2:38 PM BST
Harsh sending off for me.
Report jimeen July 28, 2013 2:41 PM BST
The match was over well before they were reduced to 14 men,there was no betting from early on. Henry Shefflin obviously shouldn't have started as he looked like a pensioner . The real price kilkenny right now is 25/1, all cork have to do is finish with 15 men and they cannot lose
Report Kelly July 28, 2013 2:41 PM BST
Broke the rules Henry . When you are on a yellow you take care .  He didn't .

Cork have played refreshingly well , hard to see the 14 men Cats getting their heads in front without scoring 2 goals at least . No bet here so far , action is superb though on the field !
Report pa lapsy July 28, 2013 2:43 PM BST
It was harsh, but agree with Jimeen Cork hurlin them off the field anyway.
Report BJG July 28, 2013 2:49 PM BST
Cork are 4/6 in running for anyone with a worthwhile bet 365 acc fwiw
Report jimeen July 28, 2013 2:49 PM BST
I'm on them for a small bet both in the match and plus 4.5,and if I lose either bet I would be disgusted. If Cork can't beat Kilkenny from here then they should pack it up. An extra man ,a five point lead,a bust of young fellows against a bunch of cripples,what more do they need. I'd be surprised if they don't muller them now
Report BJG July 28, 2013 2:50 PM BST
4/7 now

Agree with the above - Cork played em off the field the 1st half, Shefflin looked way out of it and they may as well av been playin with 14 anyway with him on!
Report BJG July 28, 2013 2:54 PM BST
Braindead start to the half for Cork, no need to be gettin involved in rubbish off the ball! Thats wat KK will want

Play their own game and dont get suckered in and they will walk this
Report pa lapsy July 28, 2013 2:54 PM BST
I,m hoping for a severe mullering of them now,a complete and utter humiliation,Go on give them a lesson in the 2nd half.
Settle for just the bare win as well though.
Report BJG July 28, 2013 2:55 PM BST
Tommy Walsh nearly on the goaline b4 the ball was struck there Grin

Cost em a goal

Great save x 2 tbf
Report kavvie July 28, 2013 2:57 PM BST
toomy walsh must av been looking at mick lyons on all ireland gold!!
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 28, 2013 3:08 PM BST
Michael Duignam is a total disgrace, he is so anti-Cork he reaaly should be wearing a black+amber jersey
Report kavvie July 28, 2013 3:12 PM BST
duignan is totally impartial i think..
Report BJG July 28, 2013 3:29 PM BST
Tom Kenny the only player left in the championship with an All Ireland medal now - open year

Deserved win for Cork, much the better team
Report kavvie July 28, 2013 3:31 PM BST
end of an era for the greaest team of all time
Report kingrat July 28, 2013 3:36 PM BST
in fairness i think the sheff had to go.its probably the end of his inter county career and not the best way to go out but he owes the game or his county nothing.imo he is the greatest hurler i have ever seen.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 28, 2013 3:37 PM BST
Well he did say that the two yellows were soft and that the second foul was not a card, so how can he stand over that?, when the Cork player was almost decapitated ! wouldn't want him reffing a game, bit like Brolly last night when he said he'd give the penalty for malice...... isn't brollie meant to be a barristor
Report no-won-sun July 28, 2013 3:44 PM BST
Agree JayTrump, whatever way you call it two yellows and you walk whoever you are and Shefflin at the end of the day must accept responsibility for his actions. No doubt though Kilkenny with 15 men to the end would probably have won it but within the rules Cork now go on.
I've said before that Duignam is a disaster but then he was needed today, I mean do you think Marty would have managed on his own.
Report Irish_Celtic July 28, 2013 3:54 PM BST
Nobody wants to mention the 3 points incorrectly given in corks favour? Or the wrong call on the free against Tyrell.THats a 4 point swing with a soft red thrown in.No fear he would even book Shane O Neill for his wild pull though.

More shambolic decision making from the officals,the anti Kilkenny flavour coming out for a second week in a row.

Silvergreaser has been proved 100% spot on.Plain

Like Cody said call it sour grapes if you want but fair is fair at the end of the day.
Report BJG July 28, 2013 4:00 PM BST
Any word on the Antrim minor player anyone know? Must b very serious if the game was abandoned, neck injury by the sounds
Report Vubiant July 28, 2013 4:01 PM BST
It's a real shame that Kilkenny can't win the A-Ireland every year. In fact they should be made honorary champions in perpetuity and the other teams could play for a Shield or something.
Things didn't fall Kilkenny's way ...oh boo-hoo-hoo ...Sad
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 28, 2013 4:04 PM BST
I thought the referee was very fair, even good, did miss a few small little fouls,(to cite Duignam), but he did catch King Henry with the elbow tap. In the old days it was always a tap on the wrist from KK, but they have advanced now, and its the elbow. Tap the old elbow trick, he will feel that................Laugh
Report BJG July 28, 2013 4:06 PM BST
Irish_Celtic     28 Jul 13 15:54 
Nobody wants to mention the 3 points incorrectly given in corks favour?

1st one i av nt seen a replay so fair enough, will see tonight as i was switchin between racin

Cork one looked a point to me

3rd KK one u av no idea if it went over or not as we only saw a side angle once, no1 could know from that angle

As for the soft red - he chopped down on the arm for the 1st yellow and a stupid high tackle which is an automatic yellow so no idea how it was soft, looked a straightforward red

Dont remember the Tyrell one so no comment
Report Irish_Celtic July 28, 2013 4:15 PM BST
Tyrell had his hurl pulled from his arm and the Cork man fell over. Should have been free out . Cork +1

Shefflin free  flagged wide was definetley a point  . Cork +2

Walter Walsh looked shocked point not given and Duignan agreed it was most likely over. Cork +3

Cork point most likely wide ,umpires not sure decidce to give point .Cork +4

Shefflin did not chop him he tapped him on the arm the Cork player didn't even break his stride.Very soft sending off when you look at what he actually done.

Why not send off Shane O Neill for his wild lash across Larkin if he wants to be consistent.

Kind of breaks the spirit of a team when all added together.
Report Irish_Celtic July 28, 2013 4:24 PM BST
Anyway lads im not into sour grapes and I think kk would not have won 2 more games this year against younger fresher teams.Fair play to Cork for getting the job done,just a shame they needed a little help from the man in black and the men in white coats.
Report BJG July 28, 2013 4:26 PM BST
Yellow for Galway player there for a tap on the elbow - nt just ye Silly

Only all opinions shur

But i thought Cork were a massively better team today anyway.

Assume Cork cant play limk again so will b Dublin v Cork and Limk v the winner of this
Report richters July 28, 2013 4:33 PM BST
galway are utterly clueless
Report BJG July 28, 2013 4:34 PM BST
They are the most in and out team i av ever seen! Can be brilliant but more often than not they just fail to turn up!

Plenty of time to wake up here yet but are shockin thus far
Report Dan Chipowski July 28, 2013 4:35 PM BST
Fair play to the OP, didn't fancy Cork but far and away the better team.

Shefflin had two niggly incidents after the first yellow, so it was only a matter of time before he went. Both fouls were yellow cards, so no complaints.

Once Power & Hogan were held up front, the apathy of the remainder of the KK attack became apparent. Starting Cillian Buckley was a big mistake, as he's useless.
Report Timeforchange July 28, 2013 4:39 PM BST
This is the worst Galway side i have seen for a very long time, absolutely clueless.
Report paulie wallnuts July 28, 2013 4:40 PM BST
it wasn't a brain dead start to the second half by cork...it was a brain dead start by the ref...he had his back to the scuffle that was going on and should never have thrown in the ball  when he did... Kilkenny`s plan for the second half was to come  out and try and hit cork hard...a tactic that has a good chance of working with a cork footballer but I can guarantee never with a cork hurler..
Report Irish_Celtic July 28, 2013 4:58 PM BST
BJG  - Cork were the better team all day but still a good chance Kilkenny would have ground it out with 15 on the field and the correct decisions given by ref as regards those points.

Dan  - Not the first time Cody has got his selection wrong on the big day, Lester Ryan was hard done by and surely Taggy Fogarty would have made a difference with his speed .Shefflin nowhere near fit as well.
Report BJG July 28, 2013 5:02 PM BST
How did that go in from that angle Shocked Goalie oops
Report neill d July 28, 2013 5:07 PM BST
No bet and I think KK would have ground it out, but happy enough to see Cork win as tis good for the game. Lester Ryan should really have started and will be a big player for Kilkenny in the next few years, looks a top-class wing forward in the making to me.

Dublin should have a right chance against Cork, but it is two teams hose forwards waste an awful lot. Pat Horgan is some player, he is carrying the thing.
Report richters July 28, 2013 5:33 PM BST
scoreline flattered galway,they were utterly clueless and quite frankly embarassing.......
Report Kelly July 28, 2013 5:35 PM BST
Galway had a very limited game plan , bottle up one man and Clare win comfortably .
Report neill d July 28, 2013 5:37 PM BST
Didn't see the game, but I still struggle to see how cork managed to best that Clare team 8 points. Winners of Limerick/Clare win the thing. Think it will be Limerick.
Report freddiek July 28, 2013 5:39 PM BST
nice to see joe canning signing autographs for the kids when it was all over
Report Dan Chipowski July 28, 2013 5:42 PM BST
Wide open now and any of the four teams could win. Whichever team copes best with the pressure will probably win out.
Report richters July 28, 2013 5:42 PM BST
i think he was signing them during the game to freddiek.....
Report richters July 28, 2013 5:47 PM BST
anthony cunningham sounding like rocketfingers with the dillusional talking........
Report neill d July 28, 2013 5:51 PM BST
Go easy on Cunningham, it's not his fault he has Canning and every other forward is light, a nice hurler but imminently markable. No one could do better with that team, they should have won it last year and that is killing them psychologically too. Their supposed second best forward Damien Hayes literally can't strike a ball.
Report richters July 28, 2013 5:54 PM BST
joanne cantwell asked him with a surprised tone to her voice so do you think that was a good galway performance....lol.....
Report neill d July 28, 2013 6:00 PM BST
She's a pain in the arse with her squeaky voice!!
Report kavvie July 28, 2013 8:31 PM BST
neill you mustnt ave seen the game or fell asleep during it?damien hayes for a lad that cant strike the ball done rather well to score 3 points!!
Report neill d July 28, 2013 9:22 PM BST
I saw alright and that was one of his better games today, but it must be dozens of times over the years I've seen shots of his drop short into the paw of the keeper. As I say, that is their problem, that the likes of him (who can't be relied upon to score regularly) are the main support to Canning. His poor striking and (engine admittedly) were the reasons why the moved him out around midfield last year. They were never in that game today, and it was because of their forwards.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 28, 2013 9:24 PM BST
Galway always seem keen to spring the surprise. Games that they should win, and be expected to win, well they usually don't win these.

Some on here are of the opinion that king Henry was the best ever, well I would add the caveat that he's the best of his time. Hard to compare him to say Nicky Rackard, Christy Ring, Mick Mackey, Jack Lynch, Jimmy Doyle, Eddie Keher,  Eamonn Cregan, Ray Cummins, JBM., and plenty more great players from other era's. Just like trying to compare Nijinsky with Dancing Brave or Frankel. The best of their time in different era's.
Report lustrumm July 28, 2013 9:40 PM BST
Like I said before JayTrump the Galway Hurlers did not earn their place in the Troika of Irish Gambling for no reason.

I must say I enjoyed my day in Thurles. €6 to park my car in Heuston, €36 return on the Train, €35 for my ticket into the Ground and a tenner for Grub on the way home. Worse ways to spend €80 win or lose.
There was a funny atmosphere there as the rain beforehand kept everyone inside. Cork supporters made up nearly half the crowd from what I could see. I think people realised a turn up was on the Cards
Personally I thought the game was over after 10 minutes as the hunger levels were on a different planets. Shefflin was unlucky and Cork got all the breaks going. Fellas were slating the Ref but my view on it is that everyone has seen Kilkenny playing on the wrong side of the rules for so long eventually someone was going to hold them to task and today was that day.

A final note, I'd say there wasn't a thousand people from Galway there. It really was remarkable. I guess it is hard to blame the fans as time after time they are left down.

Limerick must be loving it, Clare in the semi-final, they will fancy that
Report reb July 28, 2013 9:52 PM BST
lustrumm, Galway weren't all that fancied today. Think they were about 1.8 at throw-in on here. PP were opposing them all week (5/6 earlier, then 4/5 pre match). But you're right about their place in that Troika.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 28, 2013 11:29 PM BST
Thanks for that lustrum, great call and good thread................well done .........
Report kavvie July 28, 2013 11:40 PM BST
13/5 dub
13/5 lim
13/5 cork
4/1 clare      very open...
Report Ozymandius July 29, 2013 10:14 AM BST
Nice shout Lustrumm, well done.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539