Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Deplasterer
15 Jul 13 10:55
| Topic/replies: 12,625 | Blogger: Deplasterer's blog
Fantastic weather forecast at this stage for the full week and little wind so hopefully no draw bias. However makes this wide open, so I think probably best to stick to in form players in trying to find a winner.

Big Phil won for the first time in europe yesterday and showed plent of steel after a double bogey start, showed he can play in the wind yesterday also in case the wind does pick up. Relatively poor open record to this point,Super iron player & if he can find a good percentage of fairways hard to see Phil not being bang there on Sunday, was very confident sounding yesterday and a nice person to boot.

If Rickie Fowler is ever going to win a major I would think it would be this event. Game seems suited to links, would however have preferred a bit of wind but I'll chance him as can be very streaky on a going day.

Another yank next, Billy Horschel. Nobody bar woods has been more concistent on the PGA tour than Billy. Has some experience of links from his Walker cup days when he played Royal County Down & appeared to handle it well. Taking a chance a bit alright but he is attractively priced and can only see his price lowering before the off.

I'll have my usual wager on Pod too!Laugh
Betfair Prices taken

Phil Mickleson 23's W&PL
Rickie Fowler 50's W&PL
Billy Horschel 190's W&PL
Pod Harrington 80's W&PL

Best of luck!
Show More
Report Deplasterer July 19, 2013 8:10 PM BST
This is a total lottery. Colesarts 5 putted from 8 feet, Mickleson 4 putt From 30 feet & that's just the ones I seen after work! If Someone from. Just inside cut can somehow manage a 67 or so they won't be far off the lead tommrow night. Good to see them struggle but awful from a betting point of view. Toss a coin and go for someone at this stage!Crazy

What's the rumour then db?
Report kiddo112 July 19, 2013 8:40 PM BST
I heard one involving his father and his physio I think
Report by purpose July 19, 2013 8:49 PM BST
Whatever about Rorys head being shagged id say Nike are having some chat with themselves..
Report by purpose July 19, 2013 8:50 PM BST
Whatever about Rorys head being shagged id say Nike are having some chat with themselves..
Report by purpose July 19, 2013 8:51 PM BST
Nike are having some canary over the bould Rory....
Report Kelly July 19, 2013 10:38 PM BST
Now that the Rory thing is over , maybe the media will get back to golf . Rorys woes have been there to see for over 6 months , he gives honest interviews , but you dont have to buy into every opinion he offers , particularly in relation to his own play . Tigers analysis and awareness of his ( Tigers) game is way ahead of Rorys . Rory before Muirfield was full of praise for his new magic driver , some of those still in the tournament did not put a driver in their bag as it was going to be largely irrelevant when you can place a 4 iron about 250 yards out there due to ground conditions .

Did not know Oosthuizen was carrying an injury , wondered why he was such a big price , conditions should have suited him . Luke Donald looked completely sparkless , like he used to be before he ascended to world No 1 . Being No 1 is beginning to look like the kiss of death to all but Tiger --Donald , McIlroy , Westwood , Kaymer have all failed to maintain that momentum .

Left with Tiger and Clark , the latter being one of the 49 thousand to one shots on here . Must be some value in that 49 with 2 rounds to go and the course favouring early starters each day . Have to start a search ! Never was weather like that any time I was in Scotland either !
Report kingrat July 19, 2013 10:57 PM BST
GET IN THE HOLE!!!!!
Report huddys July 19, 2013 11:01 PM BST
Very happy with the way im standing at the minute with my Woods e/w bet at 10/1,and the doubles and treble going along nicely Day top aussie 1 behind,Macdowell top irish 3 behind Clarke,would fancy him to catch him,and charls top south African 3 shots ahead,roll on tomorrow.
Report Kelly July 19, 2013 11:21 PM BST
Good selections huddys , should yield a plus , anyway you could lay some back on here I suspect  , although the fringe markets are not very liquid I find .
Report huddys July 19, 2013 11:44 PM BST
See how I stand after tomorrow,im not really into laying off tho,
Report Deplasterer July 19, 2013 11:46 PM BST
Yep, good there Huddys. I am more than hopeful that Phil still has a big say in this.
Report huddys July 19, 2013 11:58 PM BST
Ye loads stil have chances alright deplasterer,Phil right back in it if he goes say 2 or 3 under tomorrow.
Report roadrunner46 July 20, 2013 12:18 AM BST
has phil mikleson ever won in europe before, know hes useless when he plays for the american ryder cup team. still all to play for. gl
Report callitasucit July 20, 2013 1:04 AM BST
GL Huddys, hopefully Tiger brings home the bacon. Roadrunner, you probably shouldn't bet on sports you know **** all about. Though, I would hazard a guess that if you followed that motto, you wouldn't be betting on anything.
Report Deplasterer July 20, 2013 3:25 AM BST
Riadrunner, I think you'll find that he won on a links course in Scotland last week!Laugh
Report pa lapsy July 20, 2013 9:34 AM BST
With very early scoring so far not sure that any of them 1000/1 are going to figure Kelly,the top of the leaderboard is fairly classy anyway. At 600/1+ Streelman and Curtis being only 3 over are the two i threw a small Hail Mary at.
Report Kelly July 20, 2013 10:36 AM BST
Only one I could dig out was Gallagher at 1000 , but he is only 4 over so mid table re starting today .

Had a bit on Donaldson at 370 and Kaymer ( not sure of his price , around 300 I think ).  Both of them can play  , and 2 rounds of 68 might get them into contention . Only for small money though , my big winner is Tiger ( via trading and 12/1 Lads for an hour ) . Hope his arm holds out , but he is putting brilliantly .
Report Kelly July 20, 2013 10:57 AM BST
Pod and Sergio out together .  Dont think that will suit either of them .
Report Kelly July 20, 2013 5:02 PM BST
Definitely didnt suit Padraig . Wonder is anyone going to be under par .
Report workrider July 20, 2013 7:29 PM BST
still have a interest going into the last day ...Ryan  Moore come on the yank...
Report kingrat July 20, 2013 9:15 PM BST
GET IN THE HOLE!!!!!
Report huddys July 21, 2013 10:49 AM BST
Going to be some last day play,going down to the pub to watch todays play.
Report workrider July 21, 2013 10:54 AM BST
Huddys , You still got anyone apart from tiger , still in with a chance ...?
Report callitasucit July 21, 2013 11:18 AM BST
Tiger the only one left in contention for me, with Dusty backing out of it yesterday. Still mildly hopeful that himself or Els can work their way into a top 7 payout. Disgusted Tiger finished up two shots behind. Seemed far from likely on the 16th green. I wouldn't be ecstatic about the pairing, but even still, I would be surprised if Tiger or Scott don't win, so will have a few quid on Scott at 8.8. Having backed Mahan in the US Open, I would have no faith in him today, he never went at one flag on Sunday. He holed a few monster putts yesterday, making his card look better than it deserved. Hopefully himself and WW can drag each other down. Not too hard to visualise that. WW nearly missed that tap in par on 18 yesterday, hard to see him holding it together today. He got rid of his 3 shot lead very quickly yesterday. Hopefully Tiger can put some pressure on early. Heading the pub for it myself Huddys, enjoy it. Its time for the Great One to pick up number 15....come on the TigerGrin
Report kavvie July 21, 2013 11:20 AM BST
westwood must be the greatest lay ever at 2s..
Report wildmanfromborneo July 21, 2013 11:24 AM BST
Westwood will surely find a way to lose,Hunter Mahan is described perfectly by the knowledgeable Callitasucit,Scott has bad memories of The Open which leaves us with Tiger Woods.

The best clutch putter in the world will grind them down and win easily.
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 11:31 AM BST
no one picked westwood from the start, was going to be in my original 4 picksLaugh hope he goes onto win it. tiger and scott
going well for my selections.  all the form of these golfers easily availble on wikipedia. once you know how to read formLaugh
Report huddys July 21, 2013 11:39 AM BST
Ye Workrider have doubles and trebles done McDowell top irish player 6/4,charl schw top south africian 7/2 and Day top aussie 9/4,so in the running aswell with that bet.
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 11:58 AM BST
LEE WESTWOOD LAST 5 YEARS GRAND SLAMS, THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT COUNT RIGHT?Laugh

TOP 10 FINISH X 10

TOP 5  FINISH X 8

TOP 3  FINISH X 7

TOP 2  FINISH X 2
Report snap crackle and pop July 21, 2013 12:03 PM BST
u use wikipedia for form on the open to arrive at your selections roadrunner..,..,.? hmmmmm interesting angle
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 12:05 PM BST
count up the yellow boxsLaugh
Report snap crackle and pop July 21, 2013 12:07 PM BST
You've lost me....yet again.,.!! What yellow box are u referring to?
Report workrider July 21, 2013 12:12 PM BST
You going to noels wedding in cork next weekend ?....
Report workrider July 21, 2013 12:13 PM BST
THATS TO HUDDYS BTW...
Report Deplasterer July 21, 2013 12:15 PM BST
Big Phil to set a targetDevil
Report callitasucit July 21, 2013 12:15 PM BST
Think it best to ignore Roadrunner lads, he doesn't seem to be the fizziest can in the fridge. All his mouthing, and he hasn't even a fuc*in wager on it!! And seeing as he is so in the know on the golfers form, he must not know that Scotland is actually in EuropeLaugh. GL on that Trixie Huddys.
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 12:19 PM BST
you are so called expertLaugh yellow boxs show the amount of top ten finish in grand slams. go to lee westwoods wiki page
its all there and easy to read.
Report workrider July 21, 2013 12:20 PM BST
Callit , he seems to have a system only the omega gang could figure out....Laugh
Report huddys July 21, 2013 12:35 PM BST
Ye workrider heading down to cork Saturday morning so il miss Sligo,are you heading down,macdowell not going great for the top irish.
Report huddys July 21, 2013 12:36 PM BST
Meant are you going to Sligo workrider.
Report workrider July 21, 2013 12:40 PM BST
I was going to go to Sligo , but looks as if things might change on the day , Will decide nearer the day huddys...
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 12:47 PM BST
PHIL MIKELSON IN NEARLY 23 YEARS OF PLAY IN GRAND SLAMS IN EUROPE HAS ONLY HAD 2 TOP TEN FINISH, TOTALLY USELESS IN THE EUROPEAN SLAMSLaugh
Report pa lapsy July 21, 2013 12:50 PM BST
Tis feckin Majors Roadrunner, a grand slam would be winning the 4 majors in the 1 calender year.
Report Ozymandius July 21, 2013 12:52 PM BST
Laugh
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 12:53 PM BST
wont bother mentioning some of the other selections, embarrassingLaugh
Report snap crackle and pop July 21, 2013 12:54 PM BST
Laugh are you getting your sports mixed up roadrunner? maybe your thinking of tennis.,..?
Report kavvie July 21, 2013 12:56 PM BST
what age are you rr?
Report callitasucit July 21, 2013 12:59 PM BST
At least those mentioning their selections had the belief in their judgement to have a fuc*in bet RR. The one thing I can say in your favour is that you obviously realise you are a half wit, and hence didn't bother investing in your opinion, or yellow fuc*in boxes for that matter!! When you do back your judgement, and make it pay, then feel free to come on her saying 'I told you so'. Though I have always been of the opinion that self praise is no praise, so maybe you're better off just fuc*ing off altogether.
Kavvie, I would make the spread on his age 20-23. Though in saying that, for his sake I would hope he is younger, some chance of improvement!!
Report kavvie July 21, 2013 1:08 PM BST
hes unreal.thinks its easy.just notebook a few horses/golfers and watch the dough roll in!!
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 1:09 PM BST
plenty of people on here that have had a pop at me, dont even know them. put my selections on the thread. good thing i didnt choose
lee westwood, otherwise you might think was an expert at golf. lee westwood has to be the most talked about english golfer in england
for the last decade.Cool will be puting my selcetions for the grand slams later on in the year, wiki pages will get the form from.
Report callitasucit July 21, 2013 1:12 PM BST
I give up. Complete ret*rd.
Report snap crackle and pop July 21, 2013 1:24 PM BST
what grand slams?
Report kavvie July 21, 2013 1:58 PM BST
hes on about wrestling..theres a slam every sat night i think
Report snap crackle and pop July 21, 2013 2:11 PM BST
Laugh must be kavvie.,.!! just seem to talk in rhymes with no clarity or coherency what so ever!!
Report kavvie July 21, 2013 2:15 PM BST
it takes all sorts
Report pa lapsy July 21, 2013 2:21 PM BST
To be fair though there's a small bit of irony in what you say,SCP
Report pa lapsy July 21, 2013 2:53 PM BST
Poulter from nowhere?
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 3:18 PM BST
ok so they are called majors, your selections are retardedLaugh, any sport , smash you when it comes to picking winners.
you dont know fckuall thats plain to see, dont follow golf, reckon could easily beat your picks in the MAJORS.Laugh
Report Deplasterer July 21, 2013 4:17 PM BST
Phil, cmon ya boy ya.
Report Deplasterer July 21, 2013 4:24 PM BST
Cmon big Phil, one moreLove
Report pa lapsy July 21, 2013 4:55 PM BST
Birdie,Par should do it Dep, GL
Report Deplasterer July 21, 2013 5:09 PM BST
Phil you f ucking beauty!!!!!LoveLoveLove
Report kavvie July 21, 2013 5:12 PM BST
some play from phil.westy collapsed as predicted
Report Deplasterer July 21, 2013 5:16 PM BST
Wow, not jumping the gun but looks done and dusted, my biggest win since Pod in 2007.wow, what a man, some back 9.Excited
Report workrider July 21, 2013 5:25 PM BST
well done Deplasterer , i'd never have backed him myself , Not in a million years would i have believed he could have won back to back ...Well done again...
Report guinness2dear July 21, 2013 5:41 PM BST
What a round from the gammy hander..

Excellent stuff, and fully deserved..
Report snap crackle and pop July 21, 2013 6:12 PM BST
Phil Mikckelson.,..now there is one for the notebook roadrunner.,.,..!! LaughLaughLaugh
Report roadrunner46 July 21, 2013 6:25 PM BST
goodluck to OP, lee westwood was playing scared, still returned a good payout for followers, was matched at evens. formbook
always wins. my selcetions two bombed out and two matched at 6/4. they say you make your own luck in lifeLaugh
Report huddys July 21, 2013 7:59 PM BST
Well done Deplasterer delighted for you.terrible day for myself,was in a great position going into today,ended up with nothingCry
Report Deplasterer July 21, 2013 10:42 PM BST
Not a bother lads. The good guys sometimes win, lovely person big Phil, can't help but like the man.
Report punchestown July 21, 2013 10:46 PM BST
wd Mickelson backers,never in doubt DevilLaugh
Report neill d July 21, 2013 11:41 PM BST
Mickelson, great temperament and seems like a real gentleman. He can add another few before he finishes.
Report Kelly July 22, 2013 3:30 AM BST
Very popular winner , most popular player in USA for last 20 years , way ahead of Tiger in regard to public perception  , if not on the scoreboard . Lost a couple of years recently reference his wifes illness , golf is a game thats hard to play your best if your mind is elswhere .

Always have rated Phil as among the 3 best ( maybe only) USA players in international terms , accompanied by Tiger and Jim Furyk , the rest have largely stayed at home and concentrated solely on domestic golf . For last number of years he has been regularly my biggest winner on the Open ( but not this year ), always a good price even when he was playing well , guess his record did not match his ability in UK . He was 40/1 for a lot of the year , tightened down recently , and there was a big plunge on him in the last 24 hours before kick off , came in from 20 to 17.5 , someone did well .

If we had followed the money only , we would all have lit on him !
Report Deplasterer July 22, 2013 4:49 AM BST
He was 24's  Kelly after Scottish Open, and as you said punted on right down to 17.5 pre off, of the top 5, he was best backed and had arounabout 350k matched at that point, possibly only Tiger had more on him at that point. I believe.  Co Mayo for me for a few days break.
Report mp06 July 22, 2013 8:36 AM BST
good win deplasterer book yourself a holiday Cool
Report pa lapsy July 22, 2013 10:44 AM BST
Fair play Deplasterer,always nice to see the thread starter pick the winner,have a good break tis deserved.
Couldn,t begrudge Phil at all,lovely demeanor in the man,in contrast Woods gobbing all over the place particulary after a bad shot,Lee John will never have a better chance and again blew it.
Crowd seemed almost non existent at Muirfield,emptyish grandstands and thought myself the atmosphere was a bit lacking,ticket prices being up nearly 50% on Royal St.George and location may have something to do with that.
Normally would only have praise for bbc coverage but between Allis's gaffes,the cameramen not having a clue where the ball went and scores coming up on the leaderboard before the shot was shown 'live', was a bit disappointed with it.
Report Ozymandius July 22, 2013 10:49 AM BST
Well done Dep and all winners.

It's not a very telgenic course is it.  All holes appeared the same, feature-less if you will.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 22, 2013 10:56 AM BST
Its a links.

Well done Deplasterer who has form in this regard,won the Peter Dobereiner award last year.

The golf gamblers have put us racing men to shame with their consistent winning and at huge prices too.
Report Ozymandius July 22, 2013 11:07 AM BST
Are all Links courses unattractive by definition?  I wouldn't have thought so.
Report workrider July 22, 2013 11:15 AM BST
They have a natural beauty Ozy , unlike your parkland courses which are designed , Links courses are gifts from mother nature...
Report Kelly July 22, 2013 3:11 PM BST
Links courses vary a lot depending on location and proximity to the sea .  Dont think any holes at Muirfield are directly adjacent to the strand , possibly not surprising given that original site for Muirfield is now in the middle of Musselburgh race course .

Its a cracking course though , Colt design  mainly, although not sure Harry's bunkers have kept their original shape and make . Reckon you would need 3D to do most links courses justice , and to appreciate the difficulty encountered in playing the course .

Luckily most of our Irish links courses do run down to the sea/ strand at various points , first 4 holes at Newcastle run straight out parallel to the strand , landed quite a few balls on the beach myself (on windy days in my defence as I hit the ball pretty straight ) through the years . Found a brand new ball myself there circa 1947 when digging in the sand as a toddler . Much prized in those days , Dunlop 65's were about 3 shillings ( 15p) each then , same price as a gallon of petrol and a pack of cigarettes . Relatively speaking golf balls are about a quarter of the price now as then .

If you look at the finishing positions , unlike in a lot of other tournaments there are only very good and decent golfers at the top , thats my measure of a good course , the best finish where they belong normally , the lesser golfers fade . As for those missing cut etc , less said about them the better .  Phil joins a stellar list of past Muirfield champions , delighted for him .
Report callitasucit July 22, 2013 5:30 PM BST
Cracking finish from Phil. No good to me, but delighted for him, absolute gent. Tiger once again flopped in no uncertain fashion. Become worrying for the great man. His demeanour seemed totally different yesterday from the moment he stepped out. He needs to win one soon, or the previously unthinkable might happen.....no more major wins. Westwood does what westwood does best, flatters to deceive. Pure bottler. Yesterdays performance from Scott makes it hard to believe how he got it done at Augusta. Surely he should have found it easier to hold it together having got the Major monkey off his back?? Very poor from the moment he hit the front. Dusty Johnson again went missing when it counted too, I just don't think he has enough between the ears to win a major. Well done Deplasterer, spend it wisely, keep a few bob aside for a few Ballybrit beauties next weekGrin
Report workrider July 22, 2013 5:36 PM BST
A very good synopsis Callitasucit...
Report guinness2dear July 22, 2013 6:05 PM BST
Woods gobbing all over the place

Ye is catching on , Lapsy...
Report pa lapsy July 22, 2013 6:29 PM BST
I was on "gobbing watch"after you excuse the pun brought it up last time G2d, hit two bad shots yesterday and both followed by gobbing.
Not nice and Mrs Lapsy even said uggggghh!.
Hope you had a good Ascot.
Report guinness2dear July 22, 2013 6:45 PM BST
Didn't make enough to cover the bar bill,; Lapsy..

Although the social side of things went first class..

How'd you do there?
Report pa lapsy July 22, 2013 6:53 PM BST
One good bet on Dawn Approach and gave most back on smaller dopey bets there.No damage anyway.
Say it is an experience there and glad you enjoyed it.
Report guinness2dear July 22, 2013 7:05 PM BST
It's the boney bets that get ye, Lapsy..
Report roadrunner46 July 20, 2014 8:32 PM BST

Jul 17, 2013 -- 6:35AM, roadrunner46 wrote:

TIGER WOODS,justin rose,adam scott,RORY MCILROY, thats my 4 picks, not betting myself, dont know whos one what and whos inform.do think rory mcilroy should be backed for every major in the next few years. know hes using nike golf clubs and that has had anegative impact on his overall game. gl all

VISIONARYCool

Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 20, 2014 8:39 PM BST
LaughLaugh pmsl - fkin different gear
Report one last chance July 20, 2014 9:35 PM BST
Have to say roadrunner you have some dedication to your own little cause
Report neill d July 20, 2014 9:51 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0
Report roadrunner46 July 20, 2014 10:27 PM BST
just got to hire a bunch of idiots now to do all the workWink
Report neill d July 20, 2014 10:40 PM BST
Fair play roadrunner. You're tips seem to be winning plenty but the way you deliver them can be akin to Moses coming down off Mount Sinai.
Report Vubiant July 21, 2014 12:05 AM BST
A case of 'keep takin' the tablets' eh ? Laugh
Report frank60 July 21, 2014 11:46 AM BST
Grin
Report roadrunner46 August 8, 2014 10:55 AM BST

Jul 21, 2013 -- 5:58AM, roadrunner46 wrote:

LEE WESTWOOD LAST 5 YEARS GRAND SLAMS, THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT COUNT RIGHT?TOP 10 FINISH X 10TOP 5  FINISH X 8TOP 3  FINISH X 7TOP 2  FINISH X 2

Laugh great tippingLaugh

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com