Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 172 comments are related to the topic:
The Open

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 172
By:
roadrunner46
When: 21 Jul 13 12:53
wont bother mentioning some of the other selections, embarrassingLaugh
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 21 Jul 13 12:54
Laugh are you getting your sports mixed up roadrunner? maybe your thinking of tennis.,..?
By:
kavvie
When: 21 Jul 13 12:56
what age are you rr?
By:
callitasucit
When: 21 Jul 13 12:59
At least those mentioning their selections had the belief in their judgement to have a fuc*in bet RR. The one thing I can say in your favour is that you obviously realise you are a half wit, and hence didn't bother investing in your opinion, or yellow fuc*in boxes for that matter!! When you do back your judgement, and make it pay, then feel free to come on her saying 'I told you so'. Though I have always been of the opinion that self praise is no praise, so maybe you're better off just fuc*ing off altogether.
Kavvie, I would make the spread on his age 20-23. Though in saying that, for his sake I would hope he is younger, some chance of improvement!!
By:
kavvie
When: 21 Jul 13 13:08
hes unreal.thinks its easy.just notebook a few horses/golfers and watch the dough roll in!!
By:
roadrunner46
When: 21 Jul 13 13:09
plenty of people on here that have had a pop at me, dont even know them. put my selections on the thread. good thing i didnt choose
lee westwood, otherwise you might think was an expert at golf. lee westwood has to be the most talked about english golfer in england
for the last decade.Cool will be puting my selcetions for the grand slams later on in the year, wiki pages will get the form from.
By:
callitasucit
When: 21 Jul 13 13:12
I give up. Complete ret*rd.
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 21 Jul 13 13:24
what grand slams?
By:
kavvie
When: 21 Jul 13 13:58
hes on about wrestling..theres a slam every sat night i think
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 21 Jul 13 14:11
Laugh must be kavvie.,.!! just seem to talk in rhymes with no clarity or coherency what so ever!!
By:
kavvie
When: 21 Jul 13 14:15
it takes all sorts
By:
pa lapsy
When: 21 Jul 13 14:21
To be fair though there's a small bit of irony in what you say,SCP
By:
pa lapsy
When: 21 Jul 13 14:53
Poulter from nowhere?
By:
roadrunner46
When: 21 Jul 13 15:18
ok so they are called majors, your selections are retardedLaugh, any sport , smash you when it comes to picking winners.
you dont know fckuall thats plain to see, dont follow golf, reckon could easily beat your picks in the MAJORS.Laugh
By:
Deplasterer
When: 21 Jul 13 16:17
Phil, cmon ya boy ya.
By:
Deplasterer
When: 21 Jul 13 16:24
Cmon big Phil, one moreLove
By:
pa lapsy
When: 21 Jul 13 16:55
Birdie,Par should do it Dep, GL
By:
Deplasterer
When: 21 Jul 13 17:09
Phil you f ucking beauty!!!!!LoveLoveLove
By:
kavvie
When: 21 Jul 13 17:12
some play from phil.westy collapsed as predicted
By:
Deplasterer
When: 21 Jul 13 17:16
Wow, not jumping the gun but looks done and dusted, my biggest win since Pod in 2007.wow, what a man, some back 9.Excited
By:
workrider
When: 21 Jul 13 17:25
well done Deplasterer , i'd never have backed him myself , Not in a million years would i have believed he could have won back to back ...Well done again...
By:
guinness2dear
When: 21 Jul 13 17:41
What a round from the gammy hander..

Excellent stuff, and fully deserved..
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 21 Jul 13 18:12
Phil Mikckelson.,..now there is one for the notebook roadrunner.,.,..!! LaughLaughLaugh
By:
roadrunner46
When: 21 Jul 13 18:25
goodluck to OP, lee westwood was playing scared, still returned a good payout for followers, was matched at evens. formbook
always wins. my selcetions two bombed out and two matched at 6/4. they say you make your own luck in lifeLaugh
By:
huddys
When: 21 Jul 13 19:59
Well done Deplasterer delighted for you.terrible day for myself,was in a great position going into today,ended up with nothingCry
By:
Deplasterer
When: 21 Jul 13 22:42
Not a bother lads. The good guys sometimes win, lovely person big Phil, can't help but like the man.
By:
punchestown
When: 21 Jul 13 22:46
wd Mickelson backers,never in doubt DevilLaugh
By:
neill d
When: 21 Jul 13 23:41
Mickelson, great temperament and seems like a real gentleman. He can add another few before he finishes.
By:
Kelly
When: 22 Jul 13 03:30
Very popular winner , most popular player in USA for last 20 years , way ahead of Tiger in regard to public perception  , if not on the scoreboard . Lost a couple of years recently reference his wifes illness , golf is a game thats hard to play your best if your mind is elswhere .

Always have rated Phil as among the 3 best ( maybe only) USA players in international terms , accompanied by Tiger and Jim Furyk , the rest have largely stayed at home and concentrated solely on domestic golf . For last number of years he has been regularly my biggest winner on the Open ( but not this year ), always a good price even when he was playing well , guess his record did not match his ability in UK . He was 40/1 for a lot of the year , tightened down recently , and there was a big plunge on him in the last 24 hours before kick off , came in from 20 to 17.5 , someone did well .

If we had followed the money only , we would all have lit on him !
By:
Deplasterer
When: 22 Jul 13 04:49
He was 24's  Kelly after Scottish Open, and as you said punted on right down to 17.5 pre off, of the top 5, he was best backed and had arounabout 350k matched at that point, possibly only Tiger had more on him at that point. I believe.  Co Mayo for me for a few days break.
By:
mp06
When: 22 Jul 13 08:36
good win deplasterer book yourself a holiday Cool
By:
pa lapsy
When: 22 Jul 13 10:44
Fair play Deplasterer,always nice to see the thread starter pick the winner,have a good break tis deserved.
Couldn,t begrudge Phil at all,lovely demeanor in the man,in contrast Woods gobbing all over the place particulary after a bad shot,Lee John will never have a better chance and again blew it.
Crowd seemed almost non existent at Muirfield,emptyish grandstands and thought myself the atmosphere was a bit lacking,ticket prices being up nearly 50% on Royal St.George and location may have something to do with that.
Normally would only have praise for bbc coverage but between Allis's gaffes,the cameramen not having a clue where the ball went and scores coming up on the leaderboard before the shot was shown 'live', was a bit disappointed with it.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 22 Jul 13 10:49
Well done Dep and all winners.

It's not a very telgenic course is it.  All holes appeared the same, feature-less if you will.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 22 Jul 13 10:56
Its a links.

Well done Deplasterer who has form in this regard,won the Peter Dobereiner award last year.

The golf gamblers have put us racing men to shame with their consistent winning and at huge prices too.
By:
Ozymandius
When: 22 Jul 13 11:07
Are all Links courses unattractive by definition?  I wouldn't have thought so.
By:
workrider
When: 22 Jul 13 11:15
They have a natural beauty Ozy , unlike your parkland courses which are designed , Links courses are gifts from mother nature...
By:
Kelly
When: 22 Jul 13 15:11
Links courses vary a lot depending on location and proximity to the sea .  Dont think any holes at Muirfield are directly adjacent to the strand , possibly not surprising given that original site for Muirfield is now in the middle of Musselburgh race course .

Its a cracking course though , Colt design  mainly, although not sure Harry's bunkers have kept their original shape and make . Reckon you would need 3D to do most links courses justice , and to appreciate the difficulty encountered in playing the course .

Luckily most of our Irish links courses do run down to the sea/ strand at various points , first 4 holes at Newcastle run straight out parallel to the strand , landed quite a few balls on the beach myself (on windy days in my defence as I hit the ball pretty straight ) through the years . Found a brand new ball myself there circa 1947 when digging in the sand as a toddler . Much prized in those days , Dunlop 65's were about 3 shillings ( 15p) each then , same price as a gallon of petrol and a pack of cigarettes . Relatively speaking golf balls are about a quarter of the price now as then .

If you look at the finishing positions , unlike in a lot of other tournaments there are only very good and decent golfers at the top , thats my measure of a good course , the best finish where they belong normally , the lesser golfers fade . As for those missing cut etc , less said about them the better .  Phil joins a stellar list of past Muirfield champions , delighted for him .
By:
callitasucit
When: 22 Jul 13 17:30
Cracking finish from Phil. No good to me, but delighted for him, absolute gent. Tiger once again flopped in no uncertain fashion. Become worrying for the great man. His demeanour seemed totally different yesterday from the moment he stepped out. He needs to win one soon, or the previously unthinkable might happen.....no more major wins. Westwood does what westwood does best, flatters to deceive. Pure bottler. Yesterdays performance from Scott makes it hard to believe how he got it done at Augusta. Surely he should have found it easier to hold it together having got the Major monkey off his back?? Very poor from the moment he hit the front. Dusty Johnson again went missing when it counted too, I just don't think he has enough between the ears to win a major. Well done Deplasterer, spend it wisely, keep a few bob aside for a few Ballybrit beauties next weekGrin
By:
workrider
When: 22 Jul 13 17:36
A very good synopsis Callitasucit...
By:
guinness2dear
When: 22 Jul 13 18:05
Woods gobbing all over the place

Ye is catching on , Lapsy...
Page 4 of 5  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next
sort by:
Show