Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
padlock
26 Mar 13 06:55
| Topic/replies: 9,291 | Blogger: padlock's blog
big game ,big chance to keep pressure on sweden and austria to try to nick 2nd place in group,much better shape v sweden mainly because the best players are being picked at last,get a sense that the players are playing for the country despite the ramblings and mistakes of the oap manager,long and sammon up front tonight apparently.mc carthy, coleman ,mc clean seem to be on the same wavelength so hoping for 3points,probably not many goals as austria dont concede much,young team though,be good to see crowd noise get behind ireland,1-0 or 2-1 home win,it seems most of country had enough after poland but signs that this team are better,play better football etc.
Pause Switch to Standard View Ireland v Austria
Show More
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 11:00 AM GMT
An hour and half without a shot on target in the Swedish game is a fairly damning statistic even though they did play well enough overall.
Surely will have to try and win this game tonight and should be more attacking football.Austria,s recent results don,t look great with a away defeat to the Welsh and a draw to Kazakhstan and a home defeat (0-3) to the Ivory Coast.Hate to admit that i,d be inclined to take Ireland on at the moment in regards a bet but the Austrians don,t look great either.
Hope they manage the win tonight.
Report padlock March 26, 2013 11:15 AM GMT
austria have a few young decent players,think the shape of irelands side was much better in sweden,ok they poor in front of goal,fancy long to score tonight though,bit odd that he didnt pick doyle to partner him but whats new with trap,ticket prices still a joke so probably be kak atmosphere,early goal would lift that.
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 11:42 AM GMT
Won,t know a lot about them to be honest Padlock,imagine them to be in the German mold in regards style.Think their mindset would be happy with a draw.
See the ticket prices generally $45 with a range between $35-$70, dear enough alright.
Report padlock March 26, 2013 11:57 AM GMT
was thinking about going up
transport £40
ticket £50
food/drink/stuff £50

lot of money add another £60 if bringing kid etc,wtf are they thinking in a recession? so tv and few bottles,used to go but havent been new stadium yet.
Report ACE JACK DOUBLE SUITED March 26, 2013 12:15 PM GMT
Keane not playing is a major boost for Ireland.
Report padlock March 26, 2013 12:17 PM GMT
yes the tallaght tumbler wont be missed,should step down while we can still remember a good performance by him imo
Report Rocketfingers March 26, 2013 12:30 PM GMT
Most tickets are €45 that's inline with international football matches, for Northern Ireland v Israel tonight the IFA are charging £35 sterling in, their stadium is one with much poorer facilities and 2 poorer teams. I'm not a big drinker so the food/drink/stuff would probably easily be halved for me but still costing well over a €100. For easier to do the Internationals when i lived in Dublin, ticket, price of a couple of pints and a burger and walk home, then it don't sound so expensive.
Report keen leader March 26, 2013 12:42 PM GMT
round the time of the euros last summer austria played a couple of friendly games, ukraine and romania, and their gameplan was around set pieces, as they had a lot of height in the team. i assume that the trapdoor has chosen sammon for his defensive contributions from those set pieces as in fairness to him he performed solidly in that respect in the poland friendly. goals will be in short supply tonight. a good bet on under 2.5 at 1.7 and under 1.5 at 3.1, should give a relatively safe profit if you get out of the bets after 20 mins, as if 0-0 at that stage, u2.5 will be less than 1.5, and u1.5 will be at the 2.5 mark.

i could be wrong but portugal ht-ft at 5/6 looks the play of the day.
Report padlock March 26, 2013 12:52 PM GMT
yes if your a dubliner ok,doesn't seem to be enough dubs to fill stadium though unless its gaa and you make it to final Mischief mabey the d4 crew are feeling the pinch also i guess
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 1:04 PM GMT
Rocket i used to go to Highbury to see David O,Leary and Niall Quinn play around 1987,Stapleton and Brady used to play for them a few years before and it was a kind of a Irish club with a large Irish community in north London at the time. Prices to get in(admittedly standing was either £3.50 or £4.50,certainly no more than the latter. A days wage for me at the time was around £25-£30. Compare the ratio today and the conclusion is the "fan" is expected to pay for the players stellar rise in wages.
Sounds alright the Portugal bet,GL.
Report DeargDubh March 26, 2013 1:20 PM GMT
A word of caution KL, no doubt you already know but Ronaldo does not play tonight.
Report Rocketfingers March 26, 2013 1:39 PM GMT
Pa i ain't saying tickets prices in general are right for top level football, as i said above i ain't defending the prices but just saying it's in line with other FA's prices near us in an answer to someone who said what we're they thinking. Btw if i lived in the UK and had a son i honestly not sure if i could afford to bring him, prices are just ludicrous. I was quoted a face value ticket of £80 a few seasons ago for Chelsea v City, £80 quid pfffff, Was in the UK on business recently and paid either £35 or £38 each for 3 tickets in St Mary's away section for Southampton v Everton. Petrol money up an down £30 then food and a drink dam all change from £200 to go and see a footy match, crazy.

Getting back to the match the under should click you'd imagine Austria will come for the point and it will be a tight game but not sure if there is huge value in it when commission is taken into account. I'd rather play us of a dnb line of 1.71 with Asian firms and small play on 2.12 -0.25, we may not be much but looking at them i'd say they're not a whole lot better, the last day they started West Ham's Pogatez i think he's terrible and would be hopeful of getting at him.
Report db1974 March 26, 2013 1:57 PM GMT
Far be it from me to question KL's tipping but I don't like the look of that Portugal HT:FT bet at all

Portugal have already drawn 3-3 away to Israel, coming from 3-1 down with 20 mins to go to score the equaliser in the 93rd minute and only beat Luxembourg 2-1 (HT 1-1), with the winner in the 64th minute

Even in the qualifiers for the last EUROs, they lost to both Denmark and Norway away. They did beat Cyprus 4-0 (HT 1-0), from a penalty in the first half and 3 goals in the last 10 mins to get those 4, and also beat Iceland 3-1

Azerbaijan at home have already drawn with Israel in this campaign while for the EUROs they beat Turkey 1-0, drew 1-1 with Belgium, beat Kazak 3-2, lost to Germany 3-1 (HT 2-0, Azerb pulled one back in 89th min and Germany got their last in 92nd) and Austria 4-1 (HT 1-0)

5/6 looks short enough to me
Report padlock March 26, 2013 4:07 PM GMT
pp enhancing long as first goalscorer 13/2
Report richters March 26, 2013 5:50 PM GMT
portugal nil nil HT
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 5:53 PM GMT
How Postiga missed that header in the last secondsCry.
Portugal bossed the half with a free kick off the post and a couple of half chances.For all their superiority they have nothing to show for it.
Report richters March 26, 2013 5:57 PM GMT
be worth backing after ten minutes of 2nd half imo pa....might get a bit of 4/6
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 6:00 PM GMT
Naw Richters thats enough of that one,your probably right on the 1st half showing should get 1 or 2.
Report kingrat March 26, 2013 7:43 PM GMT
ireland to win 1-0....8-1 bf.
Report irish_guy_13 March 26, 2013 7:44 PM GMT
backed 1-1,2-2,3-3.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 26, 2013 7:47 PM GMT
I agree with Kingrat a 1 0 victory for Ireland.
Report Dan Chipowski March 26, 2013 7:58 PM GMT
True to form Clark **** up.
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 8:03 PM GMT
Looking at the moment as if they are trying for the world record at getting a shot on targetSad
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 8:05 PM GMT
i'm backing Ireland now Shocked
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 8:11 PM GMT
Grin
Report Dan Chipowski March 26, 2013 8:11 PM GMT
Well done Shane Long. Dopey tackle from the defender though. Grin

1-1
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 8:13 PM GMT
Up ou dat Grin
good shout there Premier
Report peckerdunne March 26, 2013 8:15 PM GMT
Can we get Whelan off now. He caused the initial indecision for goal.The game will just pass him by.He is utter crap.

We are too stretched with this long ball garbage also, so get Sammon the leper off and get Wes on.

What does Walters do btw...

Come on Eire.
Report peckerdunne March 26, 2013 8:25 PM GMT
We knock it up, they break into a big empty space.
Report MiltonF March 26, 2013 8:30 PM GMT
Walters plays like a right back for Stoke.. so basically a defender
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 8:32 PM GMT
get in there Grin now we can green up
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 8:33 PM GMT
Wat miltonF Laugh
Report peckerdunne March 26, 2013 8:33 PM GMT
Toldya  Laugh
Report olddesperado March 26, 2013 8:38 PM GMT
good performance tbf
good pressing and passing and much more easy on the eye of late
Report olddesperado March 26, 2013 9:21 PM GMT
surely need to get Green on for mccarthy and Doyle for sammon now.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 9:22 PM GMT
Get Wes on, we need someone who can get their foot on the ball and actually keep it
Report olddesperado March 26, 2013 9:24 PM GMT
he mightnt be able to get on ball. need someone to win it first
Report olddesperado March 26, 2013 9:27 PM GMT
ffs ?
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 26, 2013 9:33 PM GMT
What an incredible job Trappatoni is doing. The team has little ability yet they fight like tigers for each other.
The sum of the parts is well and truly greater than the individuals
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 9:37 PM GMT
What a joke we are, unreal panicking trying to defend a lead, can't keep the ball for 2 passes to relieve the pressure
Report Dan Chipowski March 26, 2013 9:37 PM GMT
We went to pieces in the last 5 minutes.

How in the name of Christ did he leave Sammon on for the 90? Cry
Report Goalhanger March 26, 2013 9:38 PM GMT
Puke football.
Report pa lapsy March 26, 2013 9:39 PM GMT
A pure sickener,knew they would haunted to get away with it in the last few minutes Sad
Report wildmanfromborneo March 26, 2013 9:40 PM GMT
That is pure cruel and no way they deserved that.
Report olddesperado March 26, 2013 9:40 PM GMT
taking off Long was crazy as he was our only outlet and threat.
The minute he went off the ball just returned to our half like a rebound
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 9:41 PM GMT
We got what we deserved, no interest on getting on the ball and playing in the 2nd half, the subs showed what our intent was
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 26, 2013 9:41 PM GMT
Comical stuff from Dunphy. The team has ZERO ability and it is a miracle they are even competitive at this level.
Report zekial March 26, 2013 9:46 PM GMT
coleman,mccarthy, wilson, o 'shea,long, mcclean, hoolahan has zero ability?

you talk some nonsense
Report silvergreaser March 26, 2013 9:56 PM GMT
This team must have got around 70% of their goals from set pieces or hopeful long balls, it was the same again tonight no goal threat whatsoever from open play.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 9:56 PM GMT
Laugh Shane Long told us he wasn't tired
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 26, 2013 9:57 PM GMT
None of those you mentioned have ability at a decent level. Its comical mentality to hype turds up to be diamonds. Much like the mentality that suddenly portrayed Andy Reid as a "Class" player when dropped. Reid was nothing more than a fat pub footballer.

Coleman is average
McCarthy is average
Wilson is 5hit
O'Shea is long gone
Long is average
McClean is terrible
Hoolohan is average

The class of any player is depicted by the level he plays at......Ireland in the past have had many players competing in the Champions League, winning Premierships, winning trophies and in general competing at the top level.

The best players Ireland have now a days are mid table/relegation premiership material. Week in week out they lose more often than they win........

Hoolohan now being touted as a "Class" player by Dunphy.......a  30 year old who has spent his career at Blackpool and Shelbourne who has 3 goals in the Premiership this season......

Trap is performing a miracle with this average (Being Kind) outfit.
Report irish_guy_13 March 26, 2013 10:05 PM GMT
So what everyone can't be world class, the players dont deserve the s hite being throw at them.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 26, 2013 10:09 PM GMT
Tipperary man rightly man of the match just such a pity his brilliant improvisation hit the post would have been some goal.
Report zekial March 26, 2013 10:13 PM GMT
Man for man we can compete with Austria and Sweden. The players you write off as average are good enough to beat Austria and Sweden with a bit more of a positive style.

Trap brought some organisation and defensive nous from the previous mgt debacle - to say he is performing a miracle against Austria and Sweden is very wide of the mark.

Would you have started with Sammon ahead of Hoolahan? We've a group of players who are good enough to qualify without the old man telling them they have to hoof it forward at every turn as our only option.
Report CheltenhamRoar March 26, 2013 10:16 PM GMT
Diamond Joe is a fcuking clown of the highest order,Must be fishing.
Report frankalsoran60 March 26, 2013 10:16 PM GMT
2 half perforemence BlushBlush   trapBlushBlushBlush no wes hoolahanCrazyCrazy
Report irish_guy_13 March 26, 2013 10:18 PM GMT
2-2 16/1 with sadblokes CoolLove
Report CheltenhamRoar March 26, 2013 10:21 PM GMT
What must Hoolahan be thinking when a sunday league player like Sammon gets picked ahead of him?Crazy
Report frankalsoran60 March 26, 2013 10:22 PM GMT
n1 irish    someone ended the day happy.Happy
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 26, 2013 10:22 PM GMT
I suppose the point I am making is its not as easy as it sounds to just "Play more positively". Sammon is a game player but ability wise very poor. Problem is Hoolohan isn't much better. I cant picture us suddenly dominating tonight if Hoolohan had been introduced or him making a major difference. Maybe I am wrong and in future he will show it.

I thought we were disciplined against Sweden and thats all that kept us in the game. When this team is asked to create chances or properly control a game, thats when the limitations are exposed. I dont think we lost tonight because of Sammon or any other individual. We lost because as the 2nd half went on the "Mentality" of a poor player shone through......hoof the ball, foul, no ability to control the game. The team have discipline and determination in spades........sadly with average ability. Any sort of ability and they would have had 6 points from these 2 games with the attitude they showed and willingness to put themselves on the line.....

as for Cheltenhamroar, try and debate without resorting to insults.......might decrease your blood pressure.
Report GANT007 March 26, 2013 10:24 PM GMT
You would feel sorry for a talented lad like holohan......bloodly soccer mentality....keep what you have and sit back.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 10:24 PM GMT
Ehhhh Joe the match ended up 2-2, we didn't lose Plain
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 26, 2013 10:25 PM GMT
lost the lead Happy sorry
Report wildmanfromborneo March 26, 2013 10:25 PM GMT
The man who made endless requests for free tickets and some for free diaries was delighted with that goal three minutes into injury time as it won him 8 quid,some patriot.
Report CheltenhamRoar March 26, 2013 10:26 PM GMT
Have a lie down joe,Sums up your knowledge of the game,Did u even watch the game??LaughLaugh

We lost apparently LaughLaugh
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 26, 2013 10:27 PM GMT
Grin sorry i couldn't resist even though it was clear what ya meant
Report Rocketfingers March 26, 2013 10:33 PM GMT
Joe you may be right to a certain extent but the game was crying out for someone to try and put their foot on the ball in the middle of midfield. I can understand why he kept Sammon on i would presume it was for defending set pieces. Trap is not a complete egit like the media portray him but he is stubborn. I think at the end of the qualification period he will have had his time. There are some hope with the present Irish team, Coleman, Wilson, Clark (V Bad mistake tonight), McLean, Long, McCarthy, Pilkington none of them are world beaters but i think there is some sort of future there.
Report zekial March 26, 2013 10:39 PM GMT
We've already played more positively, as shown in the first half against Sweden. As soon as we got the lead we reverted to type (his type) no doubt propagated by the manager at half time and his complete lack of action to change things when Sammon was out on his feet from the 60th odd minute was bizarre. Why not bring on hoolahan who whether you decry him as average or not, can keep the ball and make some passes as can McCarthy and play higher up the pitch as we did in the first half when chasing the game.

Once we got the lead the mentality of the team changed, it was an all out Alamo and the manager did not try to change that. He's stubborn, makes his mind up and sticks with it to the detriment of the team (persistence with Keane, the 442, hoolahan etc). He has definitely brought organisation and spirit back to the team, but the players are capable of more and have shown it.
Report CheltenhamRoar March 26, 2013 10:42 PM GMT
We've already played more positively, as shown in the first half against Sweden.

Zero Shots on target in 90 minutes.
Report zekial March 26, 2013 10:51 PM GMT
stat doesn't tell the whole story. did you watch the match? created two very good chances and tried to play without resorting to hoofing.
Report Steveirll March 26, 2013 10:54 PM GMT
CheltenhamRoar • March 26, 2013 10:16 PM GMT

Diamond Joe is a fcuking clown of the highest order,Must be fishing.

I agree he hasnt a fooking clue...no knowledge of the game at all.
Report irish_guy_13 March 26, 2013 10:55 PM GMT
lol rosie, i'm not going to lower myself to your level you troll.
Report SoYouThink March 26, 2013 11:00 PM GMT
An international team and all of them legless after 60 minutes except Whelan who seemed to only get going when everyone else got tired. Green should have started instead of McCarthy who didn't show up for the second half. Wilson, Walters and McClean all very poor in the second half too. Clark awful mistake and wouldn't you know it was St. Ledger who came on and his only contribution was to deflect the ball into his own net.
Report SoYouThink March 26, 2013 11:01 PM GMT
An international team and all of them legless after 60 minutes except Whelan who seemed to only get going when everyone else got tired. Green should have started instead of McCarthy who didn't show up for the second half. Wilson, Walters and McClean all very poor in the second half too. Clark awful mistake and wouldn't you know it was St. Ledger who came on and his only contribution was to deflect the ball into his own net.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 26, 2013 11:03 PM GMT
Good man SteveIrl......any point of view on the game yourself? Laugh
Report db1974 March 26, 2013 11:43 PM GMT
Totally agree with Joe. As an example we got a free kick just as the 90 mins were up and only for Walters coming over at the last second to take a short pass it looked like it was going to be crossed in to the box. In the end Walters took a bad touch and Austria got the ball back almost immediately. This is when we were 2-1 up and less than 3 mins remaining! As soon as that free was given we should have had 2 men over the ball, a 1-yard pass and keep it in the corner or pass it back to the full-back and maintain possession.

Dreadful stuff

It was a cruel way to drop 3 points but unfortunately we don't really have players with the technical abilities to control games/possession which is what is required at this level.
Report vinnie_roe March 27, 2013 12:24 AM GMT
What I'm so shocked about is how mentality weak  and technically poor we were in the 2nd half. We bossed and controlled the last 15 mins of the first half, yet are ball retention was deplorable in the 2nd. Everything came through Mcclean in the first half, but he just wasn't involved at all in the 2nd.
It is an absolute disgrace that he kept Sammon on for the full 90 mins, and that Hoolahan didn't get a sniff of the action.
I believe that Traps contract runs out just after the play-offs, so I really do feel that the best thing to do is to pay him off, and look for someone before June. We still have chance of qualifying.
Report Rocketfingers March 27, 2013 12:26 AM GMT
Ok, Vinnie who would you replace him with?
Report vinnie_roe March 27, 2013 12:30 AM GMT
Mick McCarthy would be a logical choice. I'm pretty sure it's in his contract that he can leave his job, with no pay-off, if we come calling.
Report Rocketfingers March 27, 2013 12:45 AM GMT
Ok i think you're right alright, there is one problem with that though FAI don't have to pay off Trap. They're pretty much bankrupt. I would go after McCarthy or Houghton if we could get either of those for free. For me Trap was 40 second away from getting 4 points some of the comments made about him have harsh in the extreme, i'd let him see out his contract tbh.
Report vinnie_roe March 27, 2013 1:04 AM GMT
Yes, but it would be no more then 650k to dismiss Trap now. If McCarthy came back, we could possibly get  close to a capacity crowd, for are remaining home matches. At the moment , we would be lucky to get 20,OOO, against Kazakhstan and the Faroe Islands. The money difference gained from those fixtures would easily pay-off Traps contract. Also, it's worth at least a bonus of €10 million, just to qualify for the world cup. 
Houghton would require a pay-off.
Report Rocketfingers March 27, 2013 1:16 AM GMT
Vinnie the FAI don't have that amount, people just don't understand that this organisation are broke. Btw no way we'll get a capacity crowd of 50k for a match v the Faroes or Kazakhstan.
Report padlock March 27, 2013 9:49 AM GMT
very negative attitude from trap/ireland in 2nd half ffs
Report snap crackle and pop March 27, 2013 3:40 PM GMT
Trap not the problem, you can't make a diamond out of a pebble!
Report PHILthePOWER March 27, 2013 4:41 PM GMT

Mar 26, 2013 -- 10:46PM, zekial wrote:

coleman,mccarthy, wilson, o 'shea,long, mcclean, hoolahan has zero ability?you talk some nonsense

They are hardly players that the CL contenders are tripping over each other for now are they?

Report Monksfield79 March 27, 2013 5:17 PM GMT
Always stood up for trap, as he has a very good record as a manager and nobody in an rte studio has the ability to question it, however I now believe that he has lost the plot completely and these things can sadly happen when you get to a certain age.
Dunphy lost his at a lot younger age and we still put up with his half sentences.
Report CheltenhamRoar March 27, 2013 10:03 PM GMT
Chris Hughton is a Top class manager,i very much doubt he would take the irish job at this stage of his career,
i really would love him in charge though,But cant see it happening just yet.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com