Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 371 comments are related to the topic:
Irish Coursing Fixtures 2012/13

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 4 of 10  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 10 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 371
By:
kavvie
When: 31 Oct 12 19:48
i dont believe itl run.i may be wrong.
By:
never give up
When: 31 Oct 12 19:50
ballyheigue ???
By:
kavvie
When: 31 Oct 12 19:51
lets wait and see!!
By:
never give up
When: 31 Oct 12 19:51
ok
By:
never give up
When: 31 Oct 12 20:36
hes running kavvie
By:
kavvie
When: 31 Oct 12 23:25
fair enough.
By:
Anaglogs Daughter
When: 24 Nov 12 20:14
PART ONE

Accountant covered up CEO’s bills, says club

By Conor Kane http://www.irishexaminer.com

Thursday, November 22, 2012

An accountant with the Irish Coursing Club was fired for involvement in a "cover-up" which allowed a former club CEO to spend funds on his own "personal lifestyle", the Employment Appeals Tribunal has heard.

Edmund O’Brien, of Newmarket, Co Cork, took a case against Clonmel-based Irish Coursing Club in relation to his dismissal in Jan 2010.

In evidence yesterday, the club president, Brian Divilly, said an internal investigation found the club’s books had been "manipulated" and the organisation had lost up to "a million pounds".

Mr O’Brien was suspended in Sept 2009 after he was arrested by gardaí as part of an investigation into the club’s accounts. It was later found he had no garda case to answer.

He was dismissed the following January because he "falsified the accounts", Mr Divilly said yesterday.

"There was over one hundred thousand a year for club funds being wasted on junkets," said Mr Divilly. "He, as an accountant, was put in there as the accountant to keep an eye on our affairs... There was something going wrong. Obviously Mr O’Brien knew there was something going wrong and he facilitated the cover-up."

An example of this was that the accounts showed €60,000 more for insurance costs than was actually being paid on an annual basis, said Mr Divilly: "He was misrepresenting our books."

This went on for at least eight years.

The former secretary and chief executive of the ICC, Jerry Desmond, since deceased, was asked on one occasion about a hotel meeting paid for by the club, Mr Divilly said, and was told it was attended by "12 politicians".

Mr Desmond told a former treasurer about the function of that meeting: "That was to keep in with the politicians." The only one Mr Desmond could name was former Fianna Fáil TD Batt O’Keeffe.

During the internal investigation, the club realised the books were being "manipulated", Mr Divilly said. "There were items put down to cover expenses by the secretary [Mr Desmond] for his own personal lifestyle."

The gardaí became involved in 2008 when Mr Desmond "wasn’t prepared to answer a lot of our questions", Mr Divilly said.

Asked by Edmund O’Brien’s solicitor, Frank Nyhan, what his client was alleged to have done wrong, Mr Divilly said: "He was recommended for dismissal because he told us he had falsified accounts at the request of Jerry Desmond."

Money was being spent on "holidays and dining and wining and memberships and so on", Mr Divilly said. "There was €100,000 buried into more costs for insurance and more costs for grants for [coursing] clubs that the clubs never got."

He said the money was "robbed, squandered, whatever way you want to put it" and Mr O’Brien "knew that Jerry was overspending".

"Edmund is only a pawn in all this," said Mr Divilly, but denied there was a conflict between himself and the late Mr Desmond.

The case continues today

PART TWO

Auditor ‘appalled’ at falsifying of ICC accounts

By Conor Kane

Friday, November 23, 2012 http://www.irishexaminer.com

An auditor has told a tribunal how he was "appalled" when he realised that a fellow accountant was involved in falsifying the accounts of the Irish Coursing Club.

The evidence was heard during an unfair dismissals claim taken by former ICC accountant Edmund O’Brien, of Newmarket in Co Cork, against the club.

The Employment Appeals Tribunal heard allegations on Wednesday that Mr O’Brien was involved in a "cover-up" while employed by the Irish Coursing Club, allowing former club chief executive, the late Jerry Desmond, spend funds on "holidays and dining and wining". This led to Mr O’Brien’s dismissal.

Yesterday, Ian Ronan of auditors Glavin and Ronan said his company were engaged by the ICC to audit their accounts in 2008.

They found that, for the 2008 accounts, a number of journal entries were made by Mr O’Brien to change the figures.

When the auditors removed the "false journals," for which they could find "no logical explanation," general expenses came to €124,083, of which flights and accommodation and entertainment accounted for €45,506.

One example involved €70,000 being "removed" from the miscellaneous section and, of that, €36,000 being entered for "grants to [coursing] clubs".

Mr O’Brien told the auditors the journal entries were made "for commercial reasons, at the request of Jerry Desmond".

The accounts were made to "look correct" at the club’s AGM by having the same bottom line, but details within them were changed.

Mr Ronan said he asked Mr O’Brien what the "commercial reasons" for changing the accounts were, but that he got no answer.

He told the hearing the practices amounted to "false accounting, to write into the books and records of a company, false information".

An effect of this was to prevent ordinary members of the club from knowing everything that was being spent. "It probably prevents anyone asking a question. In my eyes, it was to make the accounts look consistent, to prevent people asking questions."

Asked how he felt about another accountant engaging in such practices, Mr Ronan said: "As a professional I would be appalled to see another professional carrying out such journals."

Under cross-examination by solicitor Frank Nyhan, for Mr O’Brien, the witness said his company reported Mr O’Brien and Mr Desmond to the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement but no action was taken against either.

The hearing has been adjourned until Feb 26.
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 25 Nov 12 22:52
Was anybody at Rathkeale coursing this weekend? Heard that oaks ts winner there is new oaks fav. Blades of Steel is her name. Had been beaten on her 2 previous outings I see
By:
never give up
When: 25 Nov 12 23:32

Nov 25, 2012 -- 10:52PM, snap crackle and pop wrote:

Was anybody at Rathkeale coursing this weekend? Heard that oaks ts winner there is new oaks fav. Blades of Steel is her name. Had been beaten on her 2 previous outings I see

heard the same,told she was very impressive

By:
never give up
When: 25 Nov 12 23:34
http://www.betbrowne.com/page2.html

fav with berkie now
By:
Allduckornodinner
When: 26 Nov 12 21:38
She put up times quicker than the all age dogs.
By:
kavvie
When: 26 Nov 12 21:44
will win no oaks..she wont get to the last day!!
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 27 Nov 12 16:51
Yes I heard the same allduck. Lots of people that went to rathkeale at the weekend thought they had seen the oaks winner anyway. Although if she really was top drawer oaks material surely she would have won on one of her first two outings?? Were you in rathkeale at the weekend kavvie?
By:
kavvie
When: 27 Nov 12 17:48
i seen here in miltown malbay.struggled to win one course and then got beaten fair and square.shes 8/1 fav to win oaks.i wouldnt be backing her at 28/1.i was wrong before though!!
By:
murphyjust.
When: 27 Nov 12 17:53
beaten fair and sq in Miltown Malbay by a 17th month old pup Stop That Ger, 2 trial stakes winners and a r/u have now come out of that trial stake.

I know which one i'd prefer to be on in a match...
By:
kavvie
When: 27 Nov 12 18:11
i might lay here in the quarters come clonmel..
By:
Allduckornodinner
When: 27 Nov 12 19:39
You may well be right kavvie. Just going on what connections think of her, don't know much about them myself. They wouldn't be inclined to get carried away and they've been fairly sweet on her from Day 1. 8's for the Oaks sound very short alright at this stage.
By:
kavvie
When: 27 Nov 12 21:24
i just think 6 courses in 3 days will be too much for her.im not saying im right,just my opinion.
By:
kavvie
When: 07 Dec 12 19:22
good dog trial sake in east donegal..windfarm hill is highly regarded..i also hear
the bruno dog is fairly useful.
By:
never give up
When: 07 Dec 12 19:47
thats the 2 that were bet with spoils
By:
Anaglogs Daughter
When: 07 Dec 12 21:39
RESERVE DERBY TRIAL STAKES

Balbriggan

Foxhill Mick

Doon

Morning Major

South Clare

Johnstown & Url

Pumpkin Pines

Killimer Kilrush

Sharp Dancer

Co Cavan

Yippee Kiyay

Ennis /Clarecastle

Cappoquin

What A Rumour

Ballinagar

Hola Big Man

Macroom

Kilflynn & Waterford winners won Full Trial Stakes

RESERVE OAKS TRIAL STAKES

Freshford

Battstreet Lill

Ballyduff

Bucks Honey

Mitchelstown

Iron Diva

North Kilkenny

Rathcormac

Gambain Lady

Dungarvan

Gorey

Cathers Mary

Bandon

Misty Echo

Westmeath

Yukon Glory

East Donegal

Trim

Gortmelia Babe

Ballyheigue

Dynalite
By:
kavvie
When: 08 Dec 12 20:44
windfarm hill bt the bruno dog ju in the 2nd round!!
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 09 Dec 12 16:06
He beat him 4 lts kavvie. Windfarm Hill looks a serious Derby contender on the back of his success today. Connections paid big money to get this dog in their kennel I heard
By:
kavvie
When: 09 Dec 12 16:19
guy told me ju?.yea windfarm had a big reputation before this.they paid a nice sum for him.is he derby class?was his semi final close?i heard it was controversial.
By:
never give up
When: 09 Dec 12 16:23
3 withdrawals from derby trial stake this morning
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 09 Dec 12 16:31
He beat Phoenix Bruno 4-5l kavvie. Opened up at the top of the field. Was a bit lucky in semi but just lost sight of it for a bit. Definitely Derby material imo
By:
kavvie
When: 09 Dec 12 16:47
pat curtin will be getting a few bob ready so!!
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 12 Dec 12 16:17
With no dog out there so far looking like a proper Derby Dog, I have a feeling that we will see a rock solid Derby contender emerge during the Christmas period from the Athenry based kennels of a certain trainer. A jet propelled aeroplane from what I hear! Whoops
By:
never give up
When: 12 Dec 12 16:36

Dec 9, 2012 -- 4:31PM, snap crackle and pop wrote:

He beat Phoenix Bruno 4-5l kavvie. Opened up at the top of the field. Was a bit lucky in semi but just lost sight of it for a bit. Definitely Derby material imo

it was a terrible decision that he got the flag in his semi

By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 12 Dec 12 16:38
It was a poor slip tbh ngu and he must have lost at least 4 lts from slips. Definitely the fastest dog won that ts imo
By:
kavvie
When: 12 Dec 12 19:06
the derby winner is supposed to be at castletown this weekend.kinsale bullet.its not often that simple tho!!?
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 12 Dec 12 19:15
Yes supposed to be good kavvie but don't know what all the hype about him is for myself. Saw him in Edenderry and didn't look like the Derby winner to me in his first two rounds
By:
kavvie
When: 12 Dec 12 22:14
lots of dog/bitches dont do it when its put up to them.the bitch we discussed has been veery disapointing..
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 12 Dec 12 22:29
Yes, classic example of a flashy galloper that doesn't replicate it on the coursing field. MD is not convinced about all this hype about the Kinsale Bullet dog either.

Was delighted to see Pat Curtin back in the big time with his good trial stake winner in Lifford last weekend. He had a relatively quiet season last year. I think he does exceptionally well, as he only trains from a very small pool of dogs not like the other big trainers who run much bigger operations.
By:
kavvie
When: 12 Dec 12 22:45
i know pat fairly well. a sound man and i agree he doesnt have a huge pool of dogs.he does well with what he has got.the windfarm hill dog won a good trial stake up north for sure.hope he goes well in clonmel..
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 12 Dec 12 22:55
Yes I think he has a real live chance of winning the Derby with this dog. Really impressed with his style of running. The sport needs characters like him!
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 14 Dec 12 23:01
Anybody at the coursing in Castletown today?
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 16 Dec 12 17:08
kavvie 12 Dec 12 19:06 Joined: 26 Feb 04 | Topic/replies: 3,611 | Blogger: kavvie's blog
the derby winner is supposed to be at castletown this weekend.kinsale bullet

Very average dog kavvie. Myself and md had him well weighed up before this weekend. Will struggle to win a bad trial stake never mind the Derby
By:
kavvie
When: 16 Dec 12 17:17
i was told that snap./i said it on the greyhound nut website before the trial stake.im of the sam opinion re willing a ts...they arnt too many bad trial stakes left from now on!!
By:
snap crackle and pop
When: 16 Dec 12 17:25
What would be your oaks and derby fancies
Page 4 of 10  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 10 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo