Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Anaglogs Daughter
26 Mar 12 12:52
| Topic/replies: 29,477 | Blogger: Anaglogs Daughter's blog
I had to look through wikipedia just to be sure ... Happy

A proven rider on turf, in 1983 Darell McHargue moved to a base in Ireland where he rode for various trainers including Luca Cumani and Dermot Weld and for owners such as the American husband and wife team of Bertram and Diana Firestone and Englishman, Ivan Allan. In 1984 he was the regular rider for Allan's outstanding colt Commanche Run and was scheduled to ride him as the early favorite in the St. Leger Stakes. However, the ruthless and egotistical superstar jockey Lester Piggott put pressure on Ivan Allan to give him the mount and the owner eventually gave in. Commanche Run won the British Classic. The always polite McHargue said nothing but soon thereafter returned home to Pasadena, California.

McHargue retired from riding in early April 1988 and began a new career a few weeks later as a racing official. In 1994 he graduated from the Racing Officials Accreditation Program (ROAP). He worked at northern California tracks and in 2005 was appointed a race steward at Hollywood Park.

McHargue is married to Robin McHargue, daughter of the late trainer, Robert Winfield.
Pause Switch to Standard View I came across a jockeys name I'm sure...
Show More
Report Vubiant March 26, 2012 1:37 PM BST
Indeed ....I'd forgotten to remember that .Grin
Report Anaglogs Daughter March 26, 2012 1:38 PM BST
It's Johnny roes birthday today that's how i came across his name. DK Weld the connection.
Report punchestown March 26, 2012 1:42 PM BST
Wish I could forget Cash Asmussen Whoops
Report Kelly March 26, 2012 2:23 PM BST
Happy birthday Johnnie , big follower when I was a regular track racegoer .  Nealry always yielded a profit for me , unlike the afore mentioned Asmussen .
Report Vubiant March 26, 2012 2:29 PM BST
Neville Sellwood ( 1922 -1962).....tragically killed in a racing fall - riding a horse called Lucky Seven.
Report The Gotchee March 26, 2012 5:19 PM BST
Georgie Wells also died tragically.
Report topfarrier March 26, 2012 5:26 PM BST
Thanks AD.

I still don't remember him...Laugh
Report wildmanfromborneo March 26, 2012 5:37 PM BST
Did Georgie Wells not get lost in a Dublin hospital?
Neville Sellwood rode Larkspur to victory in the year he died,he had luck on his side as there was a pile up at Tattenham Corner where seven horses came down including the favourite Heathersett,his luck was to desert him later on that year.
Report Anaglogs Daughter March 26, 2012 7:10 PM BST
1963    Arkle    6    Pat Taaffe    Tom Dreaper
1964    Fort Leney    6    Paddy Woods    Tom Dreaper
1965    Flyingbolt    6    Pat Taaffe    Tom Dreaper
1966    Thorn Gate    7    Pat Taaffe    Tom Dreaper
1967    Stonehaven    7    Sean Barker    Tom Dreaper
1968    Herring Gull    6    Joe Crowley    Paddy Mullins
1969    Kings Sprite    7    P. Black    Georgie Wells
no race 1970           
1971    Dim Wit          6         Matt Curran           Paddy Mullins
1972    Ormond King        Ben Hannon    C. J. Powell
1973    Good Review    7    Val O'Brien    Jim Dreaper
1974    Ten Up    7       Tommy Carberry    Jim Dreaper
1975    Spanish Tan    8    Frank Berry    Francis Flood
1976    Troubled Times    7    Dessie Hughes    Peter McCreery
1977    Siberian Sun    6    Frank Berry    Francis Flood
1978    Kilmakillogue    9    Mr Niall Madden    Edward O'Grady
1979    Chinrullah    7    Dessie Hughes    Mick O'Toole
1980    Anaglogs Daughter    7    Martin Mulligan    Bill Durkan
Report wildmanfromborneo March 27, 2012 1:43 PM BST
Is that a list of Power Gold Cup winners and what is it doing here?
Leopardstown closed for the building of the new stand in 1969 maybe that is the reason for the no race in 1970 which would suggest it could be a Leopardstown race still my money still on the Power Gold Cup.
Report mrcombustible March 27, 2012 8:08 PM BST
Not sure what that list is,it is a mixture of stayers and 2 mile chasers. Arkle won the Power Gold Cup in 1963.but some of the other names are Irish Grand National winners. I remember Leopardstown closing for the new stand which was based on Sandown Park. The big races were transferred to other tracks. The sweeps hurdle went to Fairyhouse, think persian war won it and the Leopardstown Chase went to Navan. I attended both as a teenager.
Report Anaglogs Daughter March 28, 2012 11:54 AM BST
The Arkle: 2 tragic people one already mentioned on here.

1969    Kings Sprite    7    P. Black    Georgie Wells
Report silvergreaser March 28, 2012 8:17 PM BST
Darryll McHargue like Cash Asmussen unfortunate victims of Irish punter xenophobia, Joe foreigner was like a red rag to a bull when they done their dough, oh so easy targets, I witnessed it a few times up the Curragh.

Yet these same punters can't see their ass from a hole in the ground, nobody noticed that the formation of Horse Racing Ireland was the most corrupt undertaking to have ever happened Irish horse racing, yet barely a whimper?.
The Turf Club in its original form were no great shakes but at least they tried somewhat.

Promoting Irish horse racing?, what a effing smokescreen, they're promoting it alright, for themselves and nobody else, it was always about mutual cronyism, why do you think they lobbied so hard, they dangled a carrot in front of the impoverished stable staff to rally the masses, unfortunately for the stable staff when it was all over they found out the carrots were already fed to the horses, but they had their men in place, job done!.

Filled all the top positions with their cronies usually fellow stud farmers and its been a free for all ever since.
The publics only recognition is how much more money they can screw out of you, while leaving the sport (the public like to bet on) virtually unregulated, as you know not a priority never was!, in fact it doesn't even cross their minds that Irish racing might actually need to be regulated.

But its ok guys some other foreigner might just come along and you can vent your frustration out on him again.
Report punchestown March 28, 2012 8:31 PM BST
Not sure how old you are silvergreaser but seeing as I brought Asmussen to the party I'd just like to state that I was around whilst he was here and he was pathetic,if anything that didn't travel on the bridle and needed a "ride" then you needed to look elsewhere,in a nutshell that was the man.

He made Charlton Heston playing the role of "El Cid" seem like a Tourettes sufferer.
Report silvergreaser March 28, 2012 8:47 PM BST
Mid forties punchestown, self explanatory really?.

Asmussen's style was different he was an American and if he wasn't flailing the whip above shoulder height like a lunatic he was a girl in Irish punters eyes.

I've fond memories of Asmussen, he might not be all blood and thunder but as a horseman he was second to none.

Montjeu, Suave Dancer,Spinning World, Hernando, Dream Well etc, I think he was pretty ok don't you think?, when he was based here every ride was disected like a fine tooth comb because don't forget he was riding for numero uno and he just so happened to be a foreigner.

When he left Ireland his career didn't take a nosedive in fact it flourished again, I wonder why?.
Report topfarrier March 28, 2012 9:44 PM BST
Cash was a class act imo.

Would have been much more appreciated now.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 28, 2012 10:03 PM BST
Its fairly obvious Silvergreaser never heard of Garnet Bougoure or T P Glennon both very popular here in their time,especially Garnet Bougoure who was idolised.
Cash Asmussen had that quiet style that is not popular here but much as i hate to disagree with Topfarrier he did not ride well here.He never adapted to the variations of the tracks round here and had a dreadful record in photos,it didn`t help that Vincent O`Briens stable was in decline.
Report Kelly March 28, 2012 10:16 PM BST
Asmussen never won a race he shouldn't have here in Ireland to my recollection .  On the other hand he lost races that other competent jockeys would have won .

Most of the foreign import jockeys were good , Bougoure , Hutchinson , Glennon all added to the racing scene here .  Dont think Asmussen belonged in that category .
Report silvergreaser March 28, 2012 10:30 PM BST
Canada
Canadian International Stakes: 1993 Husband
Arlington Million: 1988 Mill Native

United States
Beldame Stakes: 1979 Waya
Vosburgh Stakes: 1980 Plugged Nickle, 1981 Guilty Conscience
Coaching Club American Oaks: 1981 Wayward Lass
Mother Goose Stakes: 1981 Wayward Lass
Turf Classic Invitational Stakes: 1982 April Run, 1994 Tikkanen
Washington, D.C. International Stakes: 1982 April Run, 1984 Seattle Song
Arlington Million: 1992 Dear Doctor
Breeders' Cup Mile: 1997 Spinning World

France
Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe: 1991 Suave Dancer
Prix du Cadran: 1988 Yaka, 1992 Sought Out
Prix de l'Opéra: 1990 Colour Chart, 1998 Insight
Prix de la Forêt: 1993 Dolphin Street
Prix Jacques Le Marois: 1989 Polish Precedent, 1992 Exit to Nowhere, 1994 East of the Moon, 1996 & 1997 Spinning World
Grand Critérium: 1989 Jade Robbery, 1998 Way of Light
Grand Prix de Paris: 1989 Dancehall
Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud: 1988 Village Star, 1990 In the Wings, 1997 Helissio, 2000 Montjeu
Poule d'Essai des Pouliches: 1993 Madeleine's Dream, 1994 East of the Moon
Poule d'Essai des Poulains: 1983 L'Emigrant, 1986 Fast Topaze, 1993 Kingmambo
Prix d'Ispahan: 1987 Highest Honor, 1990 Creator
Prix du Jockey Club: 1991 Suave Dancer, 1993 Hernando, 1998 Dream Well, 1999 Montjeu
Prix de Diane: 1984 Northern Trick, 1994 East of the Moon, 1996 Sil Sila
Prix Royal-Oak: 1988 Star Lift
Prix Jean Prat: 1984 Mendez, 1985 Baillamont, 1986 Magical Wonder, 1989 Local Talent
Prix du Moulin de Longchamp: 1984 Mendez, 1988 Soviet Star, 1989 Polish Precedent, 1993 Kingmambo, 1997 Spinning World, 2000 Indian Lodge
Prix de la Salamandre: 1983 Seattle Song, 1993 Coup de Genie
Prix Ganay: 1984 Romildo, 1990 Creator
Prix Lupin: 1983 L'Emigrant, 1986 Fast Topaze, 1993 Hernando
Prix Maurice de Gheest: 1990 Dead Certain, 1995 Cherokee Rose
Prix Morny: 1993 Coup de Genie
Prix Vermeille: 1984 Northern Trick, 1996 My Emma

Hong Kong
Hong Kong Cup: 1997 Val's Prince

Ireland
Irish St. Leger: 1987 Eurobird
National Stakes: 1985 Tate Gallery, 1987 Caerwent
Irish Derby: 1998 Dream Well, 1999 Montjeu
Irish 2,000 Guineas: 1996 Spinning World
Irish Champion Stakes: 1991 Suave Dancer

Japan
Japan Cup: 1981 Mairzy Doates

Great Britain
July Cup: 1988 Soviet Star
Coronation Stakes: 1989 Golden Opinion
Coronation Cup: 1990 In the Wings
St. James's Palace Stakes: 1993 Kingmambo
Racing Post Trophy: 1991 Seattle Rhyme
Cheveley Park Stakes: 1989 Dead Certain
Fillies' Mile: 1993 Fairy Heights
Haydock Sprint Cup: 1991 Polar Falcon, 1995 Cherokee Rose
Middle Park Stakes: 1990 Lycius

Pretty decent record, are the English, French and Irish tracks that much different?, riding for Vincent you don't usually venture too far from the The Curragh and Leopardstown, so he was hardly asked to ride in some of the more obscure tracks.

You probably hit the nail wildman when you said it didn't help when he was riding for a declining Vincent O'Brien.
As for the guys you and Kelly mentioned just a little before my time.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 28, 2012 10:42 PM BST
I thought Asmussen rode the winner of the Belmont Stakes.
Jamie Spencer despite being Irish had the same problems with the difference in tracks[could not ride Thurles at all]and was also unpopular.Cash Asmussen rode all over the country but the track he couldn`t ride was The Phoenix Park but accept your point that he made a huge impression in France where he was a multiple champion jockey.
My point about Garnet Bougoure who was Australian is that for the Irish punters nationality had nothing to do with it
Report silvergreaser March 28, 2012 10:49 PM BST
But when things go wrong wildman if he's a foreigner its so much easier, if you get my point?
Report wildmanfromborneo March 28, 2012 10:58 PM BST
Definitely with regards journalists.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl March 28, 2012 11:12 PM BST
I thought Cash was ok but I do seem to remember that he did lose a few he should have won on....The first jockey that I can really remember to get killed race riding was Michael Teelan, an apprentice, and I remember being really sad about that. I think he was killed in a late Sat. afternoon race and it was a sad time ....... David Parnell was much later killed in a car accident near to the Curragh also and he was Buster Parnell's son (buster did a runner didn't he ?)
Report silvergreaser March 28, 2012 11:25 PM BST
But I'm sure some Irish jockeys done the same Jay, lost races they should've won but the punter is a little shy when it comes to dishing it out to one of their own, but a foreigner is fair game!.
Thats not saying Cash was perfect, just that priorities do sometimes get tangled when a foreigner is involved.

You're bringing back memories Jay, David Parnell, the world was his oyster, got killed in the early hours of the morning on the back road from Newbridge to Dermot Weld's a few hundred yards away.
Report mrcombustible March 29, 2012 8:44 PM BST
Michael Teelan was killed in the Leopardstown November Handicap.I think it was the early 70s and he may have been riding a horse trained by Peter McCreery He was from the travelling community and a very promising apprentice He is buried in Calvary Cemetery Drogheda. It was a huge funeral.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com