Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
reb
26 Feb 12 12:12
| Topic/replies: 1,097 | Blogger: reb's blog
I was talking to a friend yesterday and he told me about a Lottery Work Syndicate of which he is a member. Each week 10 of them pool 3 euro each into the National Lottery draw. I told him that I thought it would be much more profitable for them if they placed their bets in the Bookies.

I don't do the Lottery myself but can anyone advise on which of the above is likely to be the more profitable option in general terms ?
Pause Switch to Standard View National Lottery v National Lottery...
Show More
Report reb February 27, 2012 7:27 PM GMT
Anyone ?
Report Fayzer February 27, 2012 8:27 PM GMT
Loads of people do the lotto numbers in bookies. My mate does same 3 numbers every single draw, 9 11 27.....he reckons he hits it about twice a year. €5 stake multplied by the 3 draws twice a week. 30 a week invested. 300/1 for the 7 balls.

I hit 4 numbers about 6 weeks ago on a quick pick and got back the miserable amount of €57.
Report irish_guy_13 February 27, 2012 8:28 PM GMT
well, depends on what they trying to win, the lottery or guessing numbers? if its guessing numbers, the bookies  seemingly has better odds and is far more popular with the ladies, and they watch the pennies and know value.
Report irish_guy_13 February 27, 2012 8:28 PM GMT
well, depends on what they trying to win, the lottery or guessing numbers? if its guessing numbers, the bookies  seemingly has better odds and is far more popular with the ladies, and they watch the pennies and know value.
Report Cupwinkcook February 27, 2012 10:29 PM GMT
Lottery is about hope of a better life.

Betting with the bookies is similar, depending on what you are shooting for.

It might cost you 4000 to win 3000 in one go, but that's what these people want.
Win 3000, tell all yer mates, go on the gargle.
Report db1974 February 28, 2012 12:06 AM GMT
AFAIK, if you do the Lotto incl the Plus draws then you pay €1.50 per line.

So for ease of comparison that's €0.50 per draw

Now I'm no statistician but I think you have 20 chances per line of getting 3 numbers up (from 6 selections).

So that's 20 bets for €0.50 which is €0.025 per line

Possible winnings for getting 3 numbers out of 6 in the main draw is €5.00 (it's actually worse in the Plus draws but anyway ...)

So therefore the odds offered by the Lotto of getting 3 numbers correct is winnings of €4.975 from a stake of €0.025 which equates to odds of 199/1

Paddy Power offers 575/1 for selecting 3 numbers out of the 6 numbers in the main draw so it's much better value, for want of a better word.

In fact, taking the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 and doing 20 lines per draw in Lotto Main Draw only since 01-Jan-2011 would have cost you €40 per week or a total of roughly €2,500 in stake money. You would have had 3 winners @ 575/1 which returns €1,728 so you would be down about €800 since then.

Fayzer - get your mate to keep better records. 9, 11, & 27 haven't come out together since the Lotto+2 draw of 22-Feb-2010! That's a whopping 105 odd draws which, at €15 a pop comes in at a running loss of €1,575 since then.

Everytime I do the lotto (maybe 15-20 times a year, 1 or 2 lines only) I beat myself up over it afterwards. I check the results and then I check the lifetime results for those numbers and swear that I'll never do it again. But I will!
Report wildmanfromborneo February 28, 2012 7:27 AM GMT
Irish guy 13 and reb a match made in heaven.
If ye can`t see the difference between the lottery where you can win millions and picking three numbers in the bookies you shouldn`t be let out.
Reb there is a great programme on in the afternoon...........
Report reb February 28, 2012 2:30 PM GMT
Thanks everyone for replying, especially db1974.

It's just a small flutter for them each week. Overall replies suggest that Bookies offer best value. Personally would advise against investing in either option. Also think it's critical that people do random numbers as opposed to same every week - chances of winning are exactly similiar but random pick on each draw prevents you from getting hooked into the "if I don't do them I'll kill myself if they come up" syndrome.
Report wildmanfromborneo February 28, 2012 6:19 PM GMT
Reb you have nearly used up your yearly quota on this thread but still haven`t grasped the concept of a lottery,however backing numbers in a betting shop pretty much sums you and Irish guy 13 up.
Report Fayzer February 28, 2012 8:13 PM GMT
db are you including the bonus ball in that results chk?

Its 3 numbers from 7 chances.

He got it up recently enough,early january, hit the last number on the bonus. Wether he hits it twice a year is another matter.

I think for a lot of people it is just a way of investing small money every draw and getting a lump sum at some stage, excitment and the thrill of the win.

The nightmare is obviously doing the numbers faithfully and for whatever reason not being on when they land.
Report wildmanfromborneo February 28, 2012 10:24 PM GMT
Fayzer i have read your contributions and it is fairly clear you know your racing and are well able to punt so i find it extraordinary that you would even contemplate betting on numbers,i understand the likes of Reb and Irish guy as numbers require no work.
Report db1974 February 28, 2012 11:35 PM GMT
Fayzer - no I seem to have made a mistake there actually. I see that the numbers did come up on 14-Jan.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan February 29, 2012 12:40 PM GMT
Luck would never strike twice, would it Silly
Report Fayzer February 29, 2012 7:47 PM GMT
i dont bet on the lotto numbers but i can see why people do, sometimes with horse racing you feel as if you'd be as well off betting the lotto numbers
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com