Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
zipifried
04 Feb 12 16:26
| Topic/replies: 359 | Blogger: zipifried's blog
Good enough to go straight into Irish squad for Euros
Pause Switch to Standard View James Mcclean
Show More
Report Pre-Fat-Low-Fat-Foods February 4, 2012 4:53 PM GMT
Definitely. Might not suit the trappa style tho Grin
Report Newmanix February 4, 2012 8:17 PM GMT
possibly, hi zipHappy
Report db1974 February 4, 2012 8:30 PM GMT
If Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona had a child together, Trap wouldn't pick him if he hadn't already played in the qualifiers an didn't fit into the system!

I'll be amazed if someone makes the squad who hasn't already played for the team in the qualifiers
Report The Gotchee February 4, 2012 9:05 PM GMT
He is a Northern Ireland international.  He should play for his country of birth.
Report MayoMan February 4, 2012 9:08 PM GMT
A lot can happen between here and June - Will depend on if there are any bad injury cases for him to get in though
Report bardo February 4, 2012 9:10 PM GMT
the kid could be playing for Barcelona and trap still wouldnt pick him.

Instead he will pick the mediocre duff, mcGeady , or Hunt coz he says it would be unfair not to

he looks really good this lad though, doesnt he
Report Newmanix February 4, 2012 9:16 PM GMT
he looked good today. trouble with trap is no one can tell him what to do, it has to be his idea and his way.  maybe he is a bit set in his ways in his old age, a bit like our own wildmanWhoopsLaughLaugh
Report G Hall February 4, 2012 9:46 PM GMT
what was steve bruce thinking leaving him off the team,the lad could have saved his job.

note to gotchee

he is playing for the country of his birth
Report zipifried February 5, 2012 6:35 AM GMT
We have to find some way of convincing Trapp it is his idea
Report The Gotchee February 5, 2012 8:50 AM GMT
The chap has already  played for Northern Ireland. The last time I looked at a map Derry was in Northern Ireland.  He was happy enough to play for the North when he was with Derry CIty.  It shouldn't be allowed.
Report Gone To Slips February 5, 2012 9:54 AM GMT
Neil Lennon played for the country of his birth but as soon as he signed for Celtic the windsor park faithful showed their true colours.So tell me Gotchee why would any player from a catholic/nationalist back round ever want to play for Northern Ireland and run the risk of the same abuse handed to Lennon and his family?
Report The Gotchee February 5, 2012 11:10 AM GMT
You would have to ask Mc Clean why he initially chose to play for Northern Ireland even after Lennon was subjected to sectarian abuse. The only reason Mc Clean has chosen to opt for the Republic is because Ireland are in the European Championship finals, it is a simple as that. I think it is bad form and disrespectful to the I.F.A. who spotted his talent and gave him the opportunity to play for his country of birth. If Northern Ireland were playing in the European Champs and Republic were not, do you honestly think he would have declared for the Republic. Furthermore Neil Lennon fuels alot of controvercy himself. His recent comments about Rangers financial difficulties were ill advised to say the least.
Report bardo February 5, 2012 11:11 AM GMT
he has an Irish passport , not an British one

anybody from the nationalist community born on the Ireland of Ireland is IRISH not british

END OF STORY
Report Gone To Slips February 5, 2012 11:19 AM GMT
So what is the reason for all the other Northern born players deciding to declare for the Republic pre euro qualification?
Report The Gotchee February 5, 2012 11:33 AM GMT
They are declaring for the Republic because they are the better team, it is as simple as that. It is a career decision and nothing got to do with being a nationalist or the passport they hold.
Report bardo February 5, 2012 11:52 AM GMT
I think Neil Lennon would very much disagree with your last point there Gotchee

Its fair to say that after what happened to Neil Lennon and the deplorable way he has been treated ( death threats FFS !! ) Catholics who play for the North know that its just not worth the hassle given the level of bigotry and hatred they will likely encounter

This North -South problem we have here is somewhat unique in world football because of the special historical, social, and cultural circumstances. its not purely about football, there are so many other things to consider .

So if a player born in Ulster wishes to play for the republic thats his choice and his right.
Report The Gotchee February 5, 2012 12:17 PM GMT
Pat Jennings and Gerry Armstrong who played at the height of the troubles were proud to play for the North. No one has explained why Mc Clean Duffy, Gibson, Ferguson changed their allegiances. I doubt if it is for the cultural circumstances.
Report bardo February 5, 2012 12:27 PM GMT
that was 30 years ago, things have changed since then, although the troubles are over,the bigotry and hatred from Rangers fans in the North is much much worse than it ever was , that's essentially why they dont want to play for Northern Ireland, as they know they will never be accepted.

How could anybody who's a catholic want to play for the North when they will just be made to feel uncomfortable, and unwelcome from their own supporters.

the situation with Lennon has set a huge precedent, nobody wants to put themselves in his shoes again
Report squigs February 5, 2012 6:55 PM GMT
Jennings and Armstrong had no choice Gotchee, it doesn't mean the secterenisim was not there, look at Anton Rogan. They also obviously played in a better NI team.

The situation has improved though McCourt and McGinn both play for the North and they are not going to receive the abuse Lennon receives.

The situation can not be allowed to continue, as a southerner I want us to get the best players but neither should I or others be ignorant of the long term damage to the game both sides of the border this can do.

The North will continue to suffer a flight of talent and players born in the Republic unable to get a game anywhere. I would rather an All Ireland team and would consider it a magnificent step forward but a minority of intolerance would never accept it and suits at the IFA and FAI would be out of jobs so it won't happen.
Report BraveInca2006. February 5, 2012 8:38 PM GMT
bardo
Replies: 1143 04 Feb 12 21:10   
the kid could be playing for Barcelona and trap still wouldnt pick him.

Instead he will pick the mediocre duff, mcGeady , or Hunt coz he says it would be unfair not to

he looks really good this lad though, doesnt he

Nothing like a bit of perspective in threads like this. A lad who has played a handful of first team games in England after being signed for a couple of hundred grand should be picked ahead of McGeady and Duff, who have both been transferred for eight figure sums in their careers, with the latter arguably in the top 5 players to have played for his country.
Report bardo February 5, 2012 9:34 PM GMT
McGeady has been playing for Ireland for the last 8 years.. since 2004 he has scored 2 times in 46 games.

How many times do you see him try and do a bit of trickery, he beats the first man, then he usually loses the ball and falls over.

Duff is injured half the time, he is nearly 33, his best days are over coz he's lost a few yaers of pace.

Hunt is usually brought on late as a sub.Goood player but often just runs around the pitch like a lunatic.

Roy Keane was another lad who played a handful of games for forest in 1991 after coming over from Cork ,and he turned out all right didnt he.

McClean deserves his chance , we know all about what the others can do.
Report el gato February 5, 2012 9:41 PM GMT
should clearly be in the squad but knowing Trapp, no chance
Report zipifried February 6, 2012 2:25 PM GMT
When Stephen Hunt does his ankle in May would Trapp replace him with Mcclean then ? It will certainly be an interesting few months as Mcclean further proves his quality. Whatever happens there are quite a few young Irish players coming through and potentially Ireland have one of their best squads to pick from over the next decade.
Report punkha1 February 6, 2012 2:48 PM GMT
Amazing how people that cant say a good word about the League of Ireland suddenly cream themselves when players like Mcclean,Coleman,Houlihan,Doyle etc suddenly move to Britain as if these guys became amazing players overnight.
Report zipifried February 6, 2012 2:56 PM GMT
If you eat a cream cake in a bowl of sh1te it will taste like sh1te
Report moneypenny February 6, 2012 5:57 PM GMT
The thing is there are guys in that current Ireland team who would be more suited to the LOI, i.e. Hunt, Whelan, Andrews, Kelly , McShane
Report Paddy Hair February 7, 2012 2:27 AM GMT
The younger guys can only improve by playing against better opposition week in week out. If they look great every week in LOI then it is not a test for them. Better for them to struggle in the English game and find a way to get better against quality opponents then cruise through the game in Ireland. Better for the LOI clubs to be looked upon as feeder clubs getting decent transfer fees plus add ons for further transfers. This will only improve the standard of LOI , just as good for the money to go to them as say Plymouth or Southend.
Report insideinfo February 7, 2012 6:49 PM GMT
The gotchee makes some very valid points but im im afraid he is p1ssing in the wind trying to enlighten morons like zipifried and bardo.I am proud to say i am a Northern Ireland supporter and as long as whoever wears the jersey is proud to wear it and gives 100% on the pitch then i couldnt care less if they are catholic, protestant,hindu,muslim or jehovahs witness.

As for Neil Lennon,i doubt if his own ma likes him!
Report kavvie February 7, 2012 7:43 PM GMT
very nice of you inside info,im sure you are genuine etc.but theres a bigoted crowd following ni and any catholic playing for them lately have been booed?..you ok but sadly the vast majority of the crowd arnt!!
Report el gato February 7, 2012 7:45 PM GMT
good for you insideinfo, but its fair to say you would not be representative of the avg ni supporter..................the gotchee is talking sh$te by the way
Report The Bhoys February 8, 2012 10:51 PM GMT
got to go not even squad 1st 11
Report Newmanix February 8, 2012 10:56 PM GMT
good again tonite. he clearly is a team player, put in some good crosses on the left
Report Monte Christo February 9, 2012 6:42 PM GMT
Regardless of the side issues,the simple facts are that if he continues to play as well as he has then surely he must be given a chance.

Would be ideal to blood him in one of the upcoming friendlies to show what he has to offer.
Report el gato February 10, 2012 12:43 PM GMT
Not in squad, a total ****ing  joke
Report Monte Christo February 10, 2012 1:29 PM GMT
Makes you wonder does trap watch any football himself ?

Surely someone close to him must have noticed McClean's performances to date ?
Report punchestown February 10, 2012 1:57 PM GMT
Too exciting and too much flair for Trapp-just wants players who'll do what they're told,and no he watches fook all football.
Report Rocketfingers February 10, 2012 2:02 PM GMT
I honestly don't understand Trap, his record is good for Ireland but come on how he left James McClean out is just sad.
Report BJG February 10, 2012 2:06 PM GMT
Baffling decsion nt to include him!
Report Monte Christo February 10, 2012 2:10 PM GMT
There's no fool like an old fool.

Very strange decision indeed and looks like it's a done deal now as to what our squad will be for the Euros.
Report thegalwayman February 10, 2012 2:16 PM GMT
Trap out!
Report donal February 10, 2012 2:18 PM GMT
I would have went 1/10 yesterday that Trap would NOT pick McClean, don't know why anyone is surprised. He just seems to be a stubborn, old prick!
Report thegalwayman February 10, 2012 2:21 PM GMT
He's senile!
Report kavvie February 10, 2012 3:02 PM GMT
its an insult to the lad and the irish fans.
Report vinnie_roe February 10, 2012 3:07 PM GMT
Clark and Wilson have missed out as well. That's what happens when you decide to withdraw from summer friendlies.
Report The Gotchee February 10, 2012 3:31 PM GMT
He should have remained loyal to those in the IFA who spotted his talent. I don't know why people on here are getting so upset, most didn't even know who he was when he was playing for Derry City and Northern Ireland and furthermore at that time he had never expressed an interest to play for the Republic. If the North could keep all their young defectors they would have a better team than the Republic.
Report moneypenny February 10, 2012 4:17 PM GMT
Trappatoni has no interest in taking a chance or two with some new faces. Its very hard to get excited about the summer at present. Only hope is that 5 or 6 of his donkeys get injured between now and then to force the old eejits hand
Report el gato February 10, 2012 4:21 PM GMT
People are upset because a player who should be in the squad isnt in the squad. Pretty simple really.
Report BJG February 10, 2012 4:32 PM GMT
3/1 to make the Euro squad now
Report Distant View February 10, 2012 5:04 PM GMT
It is still easier to get excited about these Euros than similar events in 92,96,00,04 and 08.
Report Newmanix February 10, 2012 5:32 PM GMT
mcshane is backCrazyCrazy
Report moneypenny February 10, 2012 5:52 PM GMT
Not for me it isnt distant view.
Paul Mcshane for f**ks sake
Absolute rubbish
Report kavvie February 10, 2012 5:55 PM GMT
mc shane isnt in the panel
Report neill d February 10, 2012 6:03 PM GMT
TBH I'm looking forward as much to the next qualifying campaign where we will see some new blood.
Report Newmanix February 10, 2012 7:31 PM GMT
my mistake, i was sure i heard his name on rte radio news.
Report bardo February 11, 2012 8:43 AM GMT
how can Trap continually pick average players like Andrews and Whelan, they offer nothing , just a pair of donkeys.

Finally we get a creative player with a bit of flair about him and he doesn't even pick him.

Surely when picking the squad he could sacrifice calamity McShane in defence... every time I see McShane he is just an accident waiting to happen, and he will in all likelihood just remain on the bench at the Euros anyway,

Couldnt trap just include an extra creative midfielder like McClean in place of the mediocre McShane who looks like he belongs in the Leinster Senior League
Report OnTheSnaff February 11, 2012 12:21 PM GMT
i hate the senile old coont,the simple facts are were lucky to be at the euro's,if we'd have been drawn against anyone bar Estonia then we wouldnt be there,get him out now and get someone who can speak english in
Report moneypenny February 11, 2012 4:28 PM GMT
CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
Report bardo February 11, 2012 5:08 PM GMT
this lad is scoring week in week out in one of the best leagues in the world.

what the hell more does he have to do ?

he could score a hat-trick next week and Trap would still say it would be unfair to leave out one of the others

he just isnt willing to take any chances of experiment at all, and thats why in the euros we are gonna be on the first plane home
Report Kriskin February 11, 2012 5:58 PM GMT
At all times u pick ur players who are on form.  James should be in his squad.
Report OnTheSnaff February 11, 2012 9:21 PM GMT
Kevin Doyle has been rubbish all season,even if he doesnt play another game from now until the end of the season,this clown will still pick him,what a plonker we have in charge
Report red and white February 12, 2012 11:12 AM GMT
He's a strong player without an ounce of fear and shows great composure in front of goal. Has taken to the premiership like a duck to water and he wouldn't let you down.
Report bardo February 12, 2012 1:29 PM GMT
that finish V Arsenal yesterday shows he is the real deal.

he's on form, the decision to continually pick other players many of whom are just basically journeymen is a silly shortsighted move
Report The Bhoys February 12, 2012 2:56 PM GMT
i agree 2 a certain extent wit trap the lads got us ther shud play but if someone whos in form that can improve r chances get him in squad and i think mclean fits the bill. his direct approach n crossing ability wud certainly cause problems and doyle is class in the air he must go
Report RicksonG February 12, 2012 3:21 PM GMT
He was well held by Sagna yesterday I felt. The pitch was diabolical it has to be said
Report MALAY February 18, 2012 4:06 PM GMT
Promising young player, good experience for him if he makes squad. Definitely one for the future competitions. Good luck to the lad, looked very raw with Derry but defintely potential, and 350k looked the correct price but he's improving.
Report Kriskin February 18, 2012 7:23 PM GMT
Another decent performance tonite against Arsenal.  Better than Hunt, Andrews, Duff, Whelan, Doyle, ETC ON CURRENT FORM
Report punchestown February 19, 2012 12:19 PM GMT
Current form = zip to Trapp Sad,very blinkered man.
Report GANT007 February 19, 2012 12:55 PM GMT
Trappatoni will add him to the squad in my opinion.........he is improving by the week and come the summer will be even better.........It takes time to settle into a professional set up.......Enda Stevens reckons he was 6/8 months off the pace when he joined villa.
Report Newmanix February 19, 2012 1:04 PM GMT
There is no doubt he should/will make it.  Id say the fai will make sure of this.  The last 2 times the public went ballistic for Trap to include players(Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland) Trap had genuine negatives against them personally, but McClean is innocent, and he is also a bloody good player.
Report Dan Chipowski February 19, 2012 1:50 PM GMT
Has to add him, surely.

Watching Glen Whelan against Crawley here is a huge eye opener. He must have given the ball away 20 times now, absolute joke of a footballer. Criminal to think he'll be there and McClean may not. Cry
Report gentlemanjohn February 19, 2012 2:05 PM GMT
The Fai telling trap what to do!! absolutely no chance..already lost 1 italian manager this side of the world, no way fai would have bottle to do what fa did
Report thegalwayman February 20, 2012 11:52 AM GMT
McClean in the squad.

I'm confused. Should I still want Trap out or not?

The Sindo isn't out for another week.

I don't know what to think.
Report Monte Christo February 20, 2012 11:59 AM GMT
The power of the Irish Forum.

Seriously though on current form he deserves his chance.
Report neill d February 20, 2012 12:01 PM GMT
I'm sick of hearing about all this morale bullshit, the work of a winger includes, passing, dribbling, crossing, tracking back, tackling and generally covering ground and arriving in areas at the right time.

McClean and Coleman do this to a higher standard than any other current Irish winger bar maybe McGeady on a going day. They should be in the squad, it is just common sense.

This cult of manager that has been built up is a nonsense, the irony of all of this is that McClean and Coleman would fit into Trap's 'system', better than any of the present incumbant wingers in the squad. He dropped Lawrence like a shot after he basically moved clubs for his international career, so if he is making this an issue of loyalty, he is just fudging.
Report neill d February 20, 2012 12:04 PM GMT
and lets not even start on houlihan who looks a hell of a lot more mobile and fleet of foot than Whealaen. There is merit in making midfielders sit deep, but Whealen can't press the ball at all he is so slow, I get the feeling he would just play the same way anyway whatever system is in place as he has no engine.
Report Anaglogs Daughter February 20, 2012 12:10 PM GMT
James McClean and Paul Green have been included in the Republic of Ireland squad for next week's friendly with Czech Republic.

Sunderland winger McClean was a surprise omission from Giovanni Trapattoni's initial squad named last week for the clash with the Czechs.

McClean has been in superb form for Sunderland in recent months after making his debut in the win over Blackburn in December.

The 22-year-old has been inspirational in Sunderland's renaissance under Martin O'Neill and Trapattoni has now decided to give the former Derry City man a late call-up.

Derby midfielder Green was also overlooked for the original squad, but now he has been added to the party for the match at the Aviva Stadium on February 29.
Report neill d February 20, 2012 12:17 PM GMT
Well that's good, but Green over Houlihan, madness, Liam Lawrence is even a far better central midfielder than Green, at least he has a passing range
Report thegalwayman February 20, 2012 12:20 PM GMT
neill d out!
Report neill d February 20, 2012 12:24 PM GMT
I'll leave quietly so, ended the same way with the brother's U-12 team.
Report el gato February 20, 2012 2:17 PM GMT
hallelujah
Report Kriskin March 24, 2012 11:35 PM GMT
Outstanding performance today from the Derry lad.  Has just earned him his place at the Euros
Report vinnie_roe March 25, 2012 12:51 AM GMT
His crossing is so difficult to deal with. If you could combine Mcgeady and Mcclean's best talents together, you would have a world class player.
Report Paddy Hair March 25, 2012 3:14 AM BST
Only saw him on Match Of The Day, but is a better option than Damien Duff.
Report Tony Fenton March 25, 2012 7:57 PM BST
Well able for international football (soccer).
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com