Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
MJK
10 Dec 11 18:07
| Topic/replies: 14,255 | Blogger: MJK's blog
A good while since I've done it but spent a few hours in a PP shop today. Firstly we hear that muppet Mark Winstanley give 2 long odds on favs as his main tips(HinterlandWhoops), he must be pissing himself that he gets paid to do this, then the actual coverage of the days racing is continually interrupted by another muppet Paul Ryan over the PP Audio. Of course bookies have to advertise specials etc but this guy takes the biscuit. He wants to comment of everything that happens in every sport, continually misses the start of events because he's too busy talking, and invariably uses 1000 words when 10 is needed. How do people listen to this **** day after day? Thank God for the ol' internet!

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 93
By:
tobywong.
When: 10 Dec 11 19:36
pocket talkers are worse again
By:
Dan Chipowski
When: 10 Dec 11 19:41
Paul Ryan can't be any worse than that gobsh!te BruceBetting use.
By:
Cupwinkcook
When: 10 Dec 11 21:44
Paddies went 2/5 Hinterland - enhanced special when he was 1/3 on the show

Limit was 1000

Anyone know what he was trading on here at the time?

Cut to 2/7 before the off.
By:
mr phantom
When: 10 Dec 11 23:48
I switch off as soon as I hear mention of Winstanley. Though I must say Stevie G the guy they use for the dogs grates me like no other. The amount of times I have have heard him say 'I can't believe this dog is 6/4 should be odds on, get on'or something similar, of course queue said dog coming trailing in 5th or 6th.
By:
claimingseven
When: 11 Dec 11 00:01
The number 1 golden rule of Greyhound Gambling is if Stevie G fancies it, put a line through it straight away.
By:
Murphys Stroke
When: 11 Dec 11 00:05
If ye think those guys are bad you should hear the Irish bloke who does the voiceover on SIS+,tips up something in every race and if it wins its a case of i told you so if it loses nothing.He would interupt the run to the last in the Gold cup to tell ya the opening show at Kinsley and after very winner crosses the line he says so and so "takes the spoils".How these guys get these jobs is beyond me.
By:
Rowley Mile
When: 11 Dec 11 00:17
The only thing i like about the shops is that they don't play the turf tv commentary. The commentary consists of ina 16 runner handicap, one chap gives the odd numbers a mention individualy and the other chap does the even numbers. No matter what wins, one say to the toher, fink you gave that one a mention b4 ther jim
By:
mr phantom
When: 11 Dec 11 00:44
Speaking of Hinterland a friend today placed a 5 euro s.f/c dbl in error today. The first half was Hinterland no 1 to beat no 3. In error he placed the same numbers 1 to beat 3 in the first at Donny. To his horror 1 did beat 3 in the first at Donny and paid over 69 euros but Hinterland had already bin beaten at 2/7. He only realised his error after both races. I saw the docket we agreed probably would have paid around 3500 euros for his fiver
By:
Dan Chipowski
When: 11 Dec 11 00:44
Think that's the chap I heard in Bruces that you're talking about Murphys! Grin
By:
mr phantom
When: 11 Dec 11 00:47
Very true claiming though makes no odds to me as never punt the dogs
By:
Distant View
When: 11 Dec 11 00:55
Mr Phantom,

What do you mean by to his horror?

What bet did he intend to place?

Was it 3 to beat 1 at Cheltenam or something?
By:
stayonyourfeet
When: 11 Dec 11 01:27
Reading through the comments regarding the voice-overs in Bookies made me laugh. The virtual stuff is awful too, the football one always on now is laughable to watch.
By:
neill d
When: 11 Dec 11 02:57
Noone really wants ANYONE to do this stuff but an understated style could make a very good career for a fella with the right moderation of tone, amazing they have not found ANYONE capable
By:
Newmanix
When: 11 Dec 11 10:16
Them voices are the pied pipers to the awful gamblers that sit in the shops from 11am til 6pm.  I was in boils yesterday for an hour and there was a gap in racing of about 15 mins I think, and the voice came on and said "we are now gonna go to commentary in the Portugul/Finland game"  A fúcking virtual football game!!!  I got out of there asap.
By:
donal
When: 11 Dec 11 20:43
The fella in Bruce's is a complete joke. I have been standing at the Racing Post looking at the Spotlights and the voiceover fella just reads them out with a few different words in an attempt to make it sound like he is not copying.

He is worse than bad.
By:
da fallon factor
When: 11 Dec 11 21:01
can never understand the punters who spend all day in the bookies betting on absolutely everything,never have time to watch what they have backed as they are to busy writing out their next bet Crazy
By:
Newmanix
When: 11 Dec 11 21:10
Even today I went to boils to watch the 1.35 til 205 and looking at the regulars "studying the form" for Steepledowns had me puzzled!  I suppose we are as bad at home online, maybe these chaps are hiding it from their family etc.  I only go to bookies to study their specials/enhanced etc., and then I make my own mind up on which ones I am with them on.  I am a firm believer in the rule "Never let a bookie write out a bet for you"
By:
Cupwinkcook
When: 11 Dec 11 21:27
shares in damien rice have just gone thru the roof

his soul sold to the devil
By:
Kelly
When: 12 Dec 11 10:52
In the old days , pre betting exchanges and pre "corporate" marketing / voice overs  , certain bookies shops were worth visiting . A shrewd punter was looking for

Value
Infornation
No restrictions
Bit of craic

If some or all of those were missing you moved on . Information came from others who frequented the shop , regulars usually  , the numpties were easy to spot and ignore .

The well informed regulars no longer exist , most have migrated to their own devices be it on course with a hook up , or fast pics at home , or just in front of the TV keeping an eye on the markets and trading a few quid .

FOBT numpties only left ( God help them ) , plus odds and sods , so the voice overs have few if any listeners , it is just a bit of background noise to be ignored if you happen to stray into an office .
By:
kavvie
When: 12 Dec 11 11:53
i seen a few slot machines/ fbots in a few shops recently..bar one and a few more..thought they were not allowed in ireland?.
By:
da fallon factor
When: 12 Dec 11 12:14
fobt machines totally illegal here!
By:
ilikewavingatbuses
When: 12 Dec 11 13:56
where did u see these kavvie?

let me know, they wont be there much longer!
By:
kavvie
When: 12 Dec 11 16:42
athlone bar one beside the college..i hate the things..surprised they are there to be honest..isnt that barney o hare?
By:
da fallon factor
When: 12 Dec 11 17:13
is that the bar 1 shop they bought of bruce betting next door to Charlie Browns kavvie
By:
kavvie
When: 12 Dec 11 17:24
thats the one..2 or 3 machines at the back...i couldnt believe it..last sat week
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 12 Dec 11 17:36
Barney O`Hare was a slot machine operator before he became a bookmaker,old habits die hard.
By:
sinndar001
When: 13 Dec 11 19:34
Newmanix

We're not as bad online, at least we're studying form. What form is there for Steepledowns? Seen the same myself. I mean what the hell are these clowns looking at. Mad stuff!
By:
punchestown
When: 14 Dec 11 10:47
What form is there for Steepledowns? Seen the same myself. I mean what the hell are these clowns looking at. Mad stuff

-------------

They're watching cartoons for adults.
By:
kiddo112
When: 14 Dec 11 11:27
Spoils is the worst imo. All the different screens would give you an epeleptic fit!! Jollies and Rags, Roulette, Not to Win, Football Specials, Win Distances, 49s, Brushwood, and now their very own Virtual Channel - where you can bet on Motor Racing and Cycling amongst others. The scary thing is, there is obviously some sort of demand for this if they have them all, and have developed a Virtual Channel Crazy
By:
ReimerpYsatnaf
When: 14 Dec 11 11:49
That's like my local laddies, the odd time they have open racing on during the day i'll go down to watch it (hate the place though).

They will be running around the shop like headless chickens scribbling out dockets for every race at every virtual track they have on their small screens, then when they lose the roll the docket up and throw it on the ground in disguist and you'll get the usual "unreal ain't it" "how could you pick it" "50/1 FFS what a joke", it's a virtual race you clowns.
They do the same though on the horses and dogs, they don't go near the papers to look at the form as they don't have the time as they have been watching virtual races so they just look up at the screen and scribble a selection down and again do be disguisted when they lose. They seem to think they have a given right to win without putting any work into it, beggars belief the stupidity of some people.
By:
reb
When: 14 Dec 11 12:02
Some of us are forgetting that, for many people, Gambling is an addiction.
By:
reb
When: 14 Dec 11 12:03
And addiction is an illness.
By:
Rowley Mile
When: 14 Dec 11 13:08
I think what bugs everyone is that all the clutter that comes in over the airwaves is purely to satisfy the addiction and make sure as many ill-judged bets come accross the counter as possible.
By:
reb
When: 14 Dec 11 15:14
Spot on Rowley.

The ultimate aim of the Bookmaker is to maximize his/her profit. That will mean discouraging people who potentially can negatively impact on that aim and encouraging, through audio and other means, those people who are not as skilled/disciplined as the former.

You can be absolutely sure that P Powr are quite happy with the audio content in their shops. If they weren't they would make immediate changes. That company's share price has quadrupled in the past 3 years - that didn't happen by accident.
By:
BJG
When: 14 Dec 11 16:25
Bookmaker Paddy Power has signed a three-year deal with the company which operates the lottery in British Columbia province in Canada.

Paddy Power will supply product, pricing and risk management services to British Columbia Lottery Corporation's online sports betting business from the summer of 2012.

Under Canadian law, BCLC is the only company allowed to offer sports betting in British Columbia.

Paddy Power chief executive Patrick Kennedy said BCLC was the company's first lottery partner, while the partnership also represented its first deal in North America. Mr Kennedy said North America would become increasingly important to Paddy Power in the future.
By:
Santry
When: 14 Dec 11 18:10
Bookies exist to make money. They make the vast bulk of their money from "mug" punters who put little or no thought into their bets. From reading this forum its clear to me that if the contributors here reflecting the people going into the shops the shops would be shut down as they couldnt make any money. I'm uncomforable too with this trend now were bookies have there own tipsters for their customers-conflict of interest surely. Was working in Dundalk recently and went into a Bar One Racing shop-four FOBT's in situ-are theses not illegal?.
By:
soapp
When: 14 Dec 11 19:00
We are all in the game to make money be it online, or over the counter. As I see it bookies are in the same position to maximise their profits. Therefore the more mugs they attract the better for them. It is up to the better half to keep him out of the shops if he spends all the dinner money.
By:
sinndar001
When: 14 Dec 11 22:17
Am I right in say that the layout of any betting office is to confuse a person and not let them time to think. Countless screens showing countless events along with incessant ramblings from the audio teams. In my local betting office, they have 8 tv's that carry Turf Tv, ATR, SIS, SIS+, RTE 1, TNAG plus 2 others channels. I can't see the need for the last 4 tvs. All done to confuse. Funnily enough they don't have a screen that advertises prices on Irish race meetings. Spoils and PP are worse. Unreal noise.
By:
MCKENNA
When: 14 Dec 11 23:20
Thing that annoys me most, mainly about Badblokes, is the lack of actual racing papers (RP cards) on display - they have so much c rap on display giving odds on correct football match scores, lucky numbers, etc. You would be doing well to actually get a chance to read all the form for a horse race meet.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com