Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wildmanfromborneo
02 Nov 11 12:55
| Topic/replies: 21,252 | Blogger: wildmanfromborneo's blog
Probably the greatest jockey i have ever seen but some of the terrifying falls are beginning to take there toll.He still has the brilliant racing brain and the ability to drop a horse out and quietly sneak him into contention almost unbeknowns to the horse but the fearlessness of youth is gone.No more for him the driving into the last fence,he now asks them to pop it,no more for him powerful front running tactics,now it will be out the back and sneak into contention.
This is not a criticism of Ruby Walsh just a grim realisation that a great sportsman is coming into the twilight of his career and it is starting to show.
Pause Switch to Standard View Ruby Walsh in decline.
Show More
Report neill d November 2, 2011 2:47 PM GMT
Seeing kautoand Denman go he may feel he has already drank the best wine so to speak, Nicholls has hyped a lot of horses in the last few years and none of them has come to fruition, a horse I've always liked of theirs is Tataniano so in a weak 2mile division he might provide a championship winner for Ruby along with the hurricane, no Gold cup winner on the horizon though I don't think.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 2, 2011 4:52 PM GMT
Rubys ride on Sollim makes the point.
Report mincer11 November 2, 2011 5:01 PM GMT
Ya it does,the horse was the second best horse in the race and finished second as he should have.What an eejit you are wildman,did you even watch it ?
Report wildmanfromborneo November 2, 2011 5:19 PM GMT
Watched it as i did something that is alien to you backed my opinion by laying Sollim.
Report mincer11 November 2, 2011 5:21 PM GMT
Your opinion being based on what exactly?
Report jackdaws November 2, 2011 9:36 PM GMT
cannot agree that rubys in decline,most of nicholls horses are running well but are needing the run.
Report claimingseven November 2, 2011 9:53 PM GMT
I remember a thread on here on the lead up to Cheltenham about Ruby being in decline and how the thread starter said he was going to lay all Rubys mounts at the festival. Season just kicking off lads very early days yet. Yes he has had some really bad injuries in the last few years but i thought last year was one of his best. Been off a while and i would imagine he is still feeling his way back into it. It was only two weeks ago he gave Devalera a great ride to win.
Report hardlyuseless November 2, 2011 11:22 PM GMT
Greatest rider of all time, no doubt about it.
Report yourlack November 13, 2011 5:45 PM GMT
LaughLaugh
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle November 13, 2011 5:54 PM GMT
He ride in the handicap hurdle was sublime today
Report Dan Chipowski November 13, 2011 7:00 PM GMT
I think I can make my judgement now, as good as ever without a doubt. Love
Report lookingforthewildman November 13, 2011 8:03 PM GMT
Wildmanfrmborneo has disappeared over to the horse racing forum doing a quiz
Report wildmanfromborneo November 13, 2011 9:38 PM GMT
Yes 5 responses from you and no correct answer.
I posted on the racing forum first and only discovered the Irish forum by chance a month later,that should answer the questions you posed when you were having the breakdown as Wildclownfromborneo.
Report kavvie November 14, 2011 1:42 PM GMT
greatest ever nh jockey.of that there is no doubt..yesterdays ride just proved it again
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl November 14, 2011 2:15 PM GMT
Great jockey and a very good tipster to boot........3 winnings w/ends for his loyal readers .......great to have him back just hope he stays injury free....best iv'e seen and that includes Dunwoody and the great brave Stan Mellor..........
Report wildmanfromborneo November 14, 2011 5:52 PM GMT
I expect the low attention span snipers like Mincer/Robo,Bigwillystyle,Ya havin that one Dave and Bobbybocala with his many guises to only read the title of the thread but i expect others to read the whole piece.It is not a slag on Ruby Walsh just an observation on a change in his riding style which will become more pronounced as evinced by his ride on Bundle Of Fun today.I attach no blame as he was clearly second best but he is lying further and further out of his ground and he is not launching his horses at the fences.
He is still the best jockey around and the man for the big occassion but you will find that will to win at the small meetings is diminished and he no longer asks his horses for big jumps at the last.
Report lookingforthewildman November 15, 2011 5:13 PM GMT
He was coming into the twilight of his career on the 2nd of november and yet 12 days later he is still the best jockey around.....fairly dramatic turnaround in his fortunes......one thing is certain the wildmanfromborneo wasnt going to admit to being wrong.....
Report wildmanfromborneo November 15, 2011 9:42 PM GMT
Seeing as you pay homage to me in your user name you deserve a detailed reply.The two statements you outline are not incompatible.Lets say we rated jockeys and i rated Ruby Walsh at 180 with the next best at 168,taking into account his decline i reduce the rating to 170 that would still leave him the best.
In a matter of opinion right and wrong doesn`t come into it,it is only on matters of fact that that applies.Ruby Walsh is the best jockey is an opinion but Ruby Walsh won the 2000 Grand National on Papillon is a fact and if someone says he didn`t that can be safely said to be wrong.
Report neill d November 15, 2011 9:50 PM GMT
^^^^Well put, he might be somewhat similar to Kinnane in his latter years, not the man for Roscommon of a Monday evening in the summer(not that they'll book him that way any more anyway), but no better man for the big day.

Given his injury record, it would be positively reckless for him to be too brave on the lesser days, this might occasionally cost punters perhaps.
Report Win only - Sp only November 15, 2011 11:39 PM GMT
Kelly
02 Nov 11 15:40 Joined: 08 Mar 01 | Topic/replies: 1,618 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Not one of those who automatically looks to see what Ruby is riding  myself. Top 5 of those I have ever seen  , A P obviously also in that club .  Several others riding at moment are in the running for that mix , but it can be a long debate .

When and if I see Ruby getting beaten on a horse he should have won on I would start to form an opinion , but a bit early for that diagnosis as far as I can see .  Can see he has had a rough time with injuries , and ultimately your body starts to tell you when you have had enough .

The other aspect is the mental side , its a bit like golfers who start missing putts which were once easy peasy . Dont think Ruby is at that crossroads yet , hope not , he has been stellar for about 10 years now . When was Papillion ? A nice lift , got 33/1 the morning of the race as I recall . You dont forget those even if the sands of time start to cover the tracks .

well done Kelly. PMSL
Report yourlack November 16, 2011 5:52 AM GMT
Wildman did you think he would have a good cheltenham last year? Just wonderjng.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 16, 2011 9:47 AM GMT
No i saw him at Naas races just before Cheltenham and i thought he looked injured so i laid him at 2/1 in the top jockey market,i thought the English doctor might not pass him fit.I had already laid Hurricane Fly but went in again,when that duly triumphed i went misere ouvre on Quevega.
I am glad you were musing at such an early hour as it might show Lookingforthewildman that i am not deserving of such adulation and can get things spectacularly wrong,even Homer nods.
Its safe to say Ruby will have a good day today at the chaseless Fairyhouse.
Report punchestown November 16, 2011 1:59 PM GMT
wildman,not having a go at you but I think all you are doing is stating the obvious,every sportsman shows a gradual natural decline in ability when old man time starts to get a hold of them.

He's a family man now and can see that there's life after race riding  (he has no choice but to)where as before all he could see were unachieved goals in the game.

You can't blame him for picking and choosing a bit these days and maybe does mind himself a bit more these days-again a natural thing.

He still remains the finest exponent in National Hunt race riding that's ever thrown his leg over a horse that I've ever or will ever see.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl November 16, 2011 2:23 PM GMT
agreed punchestown...... hope he stay awy from A J M's
Report punchestown November 16, 2011 2:26 PM GMT
He could do with dodging those handicap chasers that AJM has a habit of hunting around at the back until they get 5 duck eggs anyhow JayTrump.
Report stevo1 November 16, 2011 2:33 PM GMT
that was a shocker
Report wildmanfromborneo November 16, 2011 5:26 PM GMT
Punchestown you are entitled to disagree with me but i think we broadly agree.We both think he is one of the greatest jockeys we will ever see,we both agree he should pick and choose his mounts,we both agree that as a family man he has other priorities.
Some think i am having a go at Ruby,not so just from a gambling point of view i have noticed the decline and think there is value in laying him in chases.
Ruby should definitely heed Jaytrumpoldtomdubbles advice and avoid Tony Martin trained chasers.
Report lookingforthewildman November 16, 2011 11:33 PM GMT
I think Wildmanfromborneo that most people couldn't care less what you think......
Report wildmanfromborneo November 16, 2011 11:38 PM GMT
Well you certainly do,you are constantly looking for me.
Report Roger De Bris November 19, 2011 3:18 PM GMT
yep Ruby's banjoed alright....Laugh Go on the Kauto.Laugh
Report irish_guy_13 November 22, 2011 12:23 AM GMT
imagine how far both star's would have won by with out ruby in the saddle. great call wmfb.
Report shlotter November 23, 2011 5:35 AM GMT
A great horseman, yes. On his day, the greatest. Overall, throughout his career he has cost me a fortune. I play him, he rides like a c***, if I lay him he rides like the wind. Very hard to get right. As a person, I do not personally like him, I find him arrogant, overbearing and cocky. His ride on Commanche Court in the 2002 Gold Cup left a bitter after taste. Especially as I was looking forward to around 8k if he had of won.
Report wildmanfromborneo November 23, 2011 3:48 PM GMT
His ride there on Up The Beat was a perfect illustration of my original post.
Roger De Bris and Irish Guy 13 read the opening post again and you will see that my point is a change in his style in run of the mill races especially novice chases,perfectly ubderstandable but i am laying him blind in ordinary novice chases and in some moderate chases.
Report Vubiant November 24, 2011 12:50 PM GMT
Searched frantically for signs of decline as he rode Bishopsfurze in the beginners' chase at Thurles today but could detect nothing.Happy
Report norn iron November 24, 2011 1:14 PM GMT
I CANT BACK RUBY ON A WINNERSurprised BUT HE DEFF ON FIRE
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 24, 2011 5:51 PM GMT
Rock On Ruby in the next few days at Newbury ! Excited

25 Nov 11 13:00 Newbury Ranjaan  Q Associates Juvenile Hurdle
25 Nov 11 14:10 Newbury Sollim  Silver E/sanderson Weatherall Novices' Handicap Chase
25 Nov 11 14:45 Newbury Like Minded  Pertemps Handicap Hurdle (Qualifier)
25 Nov 11 15:15 Newbury Hold Fast  Sportingbet Handicap Chase (For The Jim Joel Memorial Trophy)
25 Nov 11 15:50 Newbury Broomfield  Inkerman London 'national Hunt' Maiden Hurdle

26 Nov 11 12:55 Newbury Prospect Wells  Sportingbet Novices' Hurdle
26 Nov 11 14:05 Newbury Rock On Ruby  Sportingbet Intermediate Hurdle (Listed Limited Handicap) (Registered As The Gerry Feilden Hurdle)
26 Nov 11 15:10 Newbury Aiteen Thirtythree  Hennessy Gold Cup Chase (Handicap) (Grade 3)
26 Nov 11 15:45 Newbury Fistral Beach  Sportingbet Handicap Chase
Report Roger De Bris November 24, 2011 10:27 PM GMT
blokes had his spleen out, and a hape of injuries. He's a warrior just getting up on some of them yaks. I don't back National Hunt so, I can appreciate seeing Ruby still around. However, If I was lumping on him every day, I'm sure I'd be super critical of every ride, like I am of the Flat boys.
Report grade 1 November 25, 2011 12:29 PM GMT
Ruby Walsh strike rate & winners

2011 24%  92 so far
2010 28%  114
2009 26%  189
2008 26%  206
2007 22%  166
2006 25%  183
2005 22%  178
2004 22%  179
Report wildmanfromborneo November 25, 2011 12:54 PM GMT
Grade 1 thanks for those statistics,they show a remarkable consistency.
Report mincer11 November 25, 2011 5:37 PM GMT
EVen more evidence that the big eegit doesnt have a clue what hes talking about,the next thing you will be telling us is that you never laid bishopsfurze
Report wildmanfromborneo November 25, 2011 5:47 PM GMT
Laid Bishopfurze for two reasons,thought he was a poor jumper of hurdles and the one stated above,laid him at 2.2 and 2.4 could have got out of it but the drift only made me more confident.Compounded the error by backing Jim Will Fix It on course and did it only for a win not my finest hour.
Report soapp November 25, 2011 6:06 PM GMT
Ruby Walsh is expected to be fit to ride at Newbury on Saturday despite suffering a fall at the track this afternoon.

Walsh parted company with 9-4 favourite Sollim in the Silver E/Sanderson Weatherall Novices' Handicap Chase and was signed off for the rest of the day with a head injury.

The older he gets the harder it is for him to bounce up from them unfortunately. Carberry is in the same boat.
Age catches up on us all.

Let's hope he is ok to ride tomorrow.
Report Distant View November 25, 2011 10:47 PM GMT
Wildman,

What did you make of the way he hesitated and tried to find a stride on Solim before it came down at the last today?
Report wildmanfromborneo November 26, 2011 8:58 AM GMT
Distant View i didn`t see the race so cannot comment.
Report grade 1 November 28, 2011 9:44 AM GMT
I know he rode in the Troytown before standing himself down but any word on Ruby after yesterday ? The second fall looked nasty .

Got a battering on Friday too.
Report grade 1 November 28, 2011 9:49 AM GMT
Found out myself ... OK but sore according to Jen

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/27/ruby-walsh-falls?newsfeed=true
Report punchestown November 28, 2011 10:12 AM GMT
Those AJM horses again.
Report grade 1 December 2, 2011 10:47 PM GMT
ruby/nicholls ...we dont do fridays ....got another hop off turf today.
Report silvergreaser December 2, 2011 11:29 PM GMT
Ruby Walsh is just a jockey who rides the best horses, when ruby was out after yet another fall, Townend and Mullins never missed a beat, that Walsh sould have to learn to actually stay on a horse the so called greatest jockey, he's a terrible habit of falling off?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 3, 2011 10:54 AM GMT
Was on the morning line tis morning......"ready for a GOOD DAY !" - R Walsh.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan December 3, 2011 11:10 AM GMT
Never mind a 'Good Day' might be another GREAT WEEKEND ffs

Sat, 3rd  Sandown

12.55 Jaguar Southern Dealers `National Hunt` Novices` Hurdle
Black Thunder (FR)

1.25 Pertemps Handicap Hurdle (Series Qualifier)
Poungach (FR) against the fancied CINDERS & ASH

1.55 Markel Insurance Henry VIII Novices` Chase (Grade 1)
Al Ferof (FR)

2.30 Bavaria Imported Premium Lager Handicap Hurdle (Listed)
Edgardo Sol (FR)

3.05 Sportingbet Tingle Creek Chase (Grade 1)
Kauto Stone (FR)

3.40 Otkritie London National (Handicap Chase)
Meanus Dandy (IRE)

F.HOUSE

12.20 Bar One Racing Juvenile 3-Y-O H`dle (Grade 3)
Rossvoss (GB)

12.50 Bar One Racing Royal Bond Novice H`dle (Grade 1)
Sous Les Cieux (FR)

1.20 Bar One Racing Drinmore Nov S`chase (Grade 1)
Bog Warrior (IRE)

1.50 Bar One Racing Hatton`s Grace H`dle (Grade 1)
Mourad (IRE) against The Real Article
Report grade 1 December 4, 2011 1:28 PM GMT
3 grade 1s this weekend and not over yet ..
Report Distant View December 4, 2011 1:38 PM GMT
On 2 very good horses today and a 4/11 shot yesterday.

This has nothing to do with what the point of the thread was. It was not good races that wildman was referring to.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl December 4, 2011 1:39 PM GMT
This thread needs to get some time in the SIN-BIN best jockey of all time ..........
Report punchestown December 4, 2011 1:44 PM GMT
I think there's a bit of Dancing on the head of a pin here lads,he's a bit older and wiser but the class is still there,can't see what the fuss is about him being in decline.

Perfectly natural cycle of events.
Report Distant View December 4, 2011 1:50 PM GMT
I don't think he necessarily is. He is picking and choosing his mounts well and has the pick of some of the best horses around.

It is a far cry from AP still rattling up winners, but riding an awful lot of dross in the UK.
Report Vubiant December 4, 2011 3:46 PM GMT
So McCoy rides another batch of odds-on winners in tiddly races -who gives a sh1t ?
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle December 4, 2011 4:18 PM GMT
His riding was majestic in those novice races today.

Compare that 2 McCoy riding Novices....the difference is greater than ever.
Report Rocketfingers December 6, 2011 11:16 PM GMT
Ruby Walsh is a great jockey still end of.
Report wildmanfromborneo December 6, 2011 11:27 PM GMT
You have even managed to post on the wrong thread,if this was a race you would be done for not trying as no one could be that stupid.
Report RodneyHutchingsJNR December 7, 2011 1:39 AM GMT
Tony McCoy - champion jockey 15yrs in a row........Ruby Walsh - NEVER.....We`ll be hearing that Brendan Dolan`s better than Phil Taylor nextLaugh
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle December 17, 2011 3:37 PM GMT
Ruby riding is just so far ahead of the other's at times its scary.

That ride on The Minack was sublime, he kidded the horse along and didn't use the whip at all when the pressure was really been applied to him by the front runner.

Just the greatest in the history of the game
Report neill d December 17, 2011 3:53 PM GMT
Good point ruby, with his ability to kid and cajole, this whip ban might be to his advantage
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle December 17, 2011 3:57 PM GMT
Exactly Neill the best jockeys will rise to the top. Not the bash across the line merchants.

The Artists of the game will be easily seen from now on which is very good to see even if the Whip Ban i am against.
Report neill d December 17, 2011 3:59 PM GMT
Sorry, I meant whip restrictionsLaugh, just had a nice bit of craic with Cattermole on ATR, lesson for Mike, don't ask ruby stupid questions.

I'm coming around to this whip thing as well.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle December 17, 2011 4:02 PM GMT
Look at his ride there thought.

He made a split second decision

1. To kid his horse along
2.  1. Was based on the fact he has the noterious weak Murphy in a finish.
3. Keep something left in the tank when the 2. starts to paddle
4. Not Panic
5. GGGGOOOOOOODDDD is on his side.

CoolCoolCool
Report neill d December 17, 2011 4:07 PM GMT
Best I've seen I agree,the finish reminded me a little of Kauto and long Run actually.

i was one of the people worried about him, thought it stood to reason that he could possibly be in decline due to the horrific injuries he has suffered, but I've seen in the last number of months he is riding as well as ever.

He just needs a new staying chaser to take over when Kauto finishes, the idea of Ruby riding in a Gold Cup and not being on the first or second fav would be strange.
Report neill d December 17, 2011 4:08 PM GMT
at haydock
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle December 17, 2011 4:16 PM GMT
I think Ruby has all the quality he needs now at Willie's. Plenty of great potential there however the best will be ridden by his great rivalExcited
Report neill d December 17, 2011 4:20 PM GMT
I've just started a thread relating to your above statement rubyExcited
Report ReimerpYsatnaf December 17, 2011 4:24 PM GMT
The notoriuos weak Murphy who beat the notorious strong AP McCoy in a finish in the 1st at Ascot??? We talking about the same Murphy?? Wink Vino Griego is not a strong finisher ain't he? So not Timmys fault.
Report ReimerpYsatnaf December 17, 2011 4:30 PM GMT
He is riding brilliant and in my opinion is the best jockey around but he does have some ammunition to go to war with
Report norn iron December 17, 2011 4:34 PM GMT
RUBY IS SUPERB HORSEMAN BUT EVERYTIME I CANT GET HIM ON WINNERSurprised MY PERSONAL FAV NOEL FEHILY FOLLOWED BY BARRY GERAGHTY
Report wildmanfromborneo March 17, 2012 9:25 PM GMT
At this years Cheltenham he only rode three horses up with the pace the rest were held out the back and mostly way too far out the back,that style of riding was championed by Tony Martin.Now as a trainer he prefers his horses to race way off the pace and instructs his jockeys so,i think this has worn off on Ruby.As Ruby has suffered plenty of injuries off his horses would advise Ruby to sever his connection with that stable and abandon that riding style.
Report kavvie March 17, 2012 9:37 PM GMT
to me hes the best i ever seen,but sadly his rides on hurricane fly(i didnt bk it) and boston bob were very bad to the point of being puzzling(i could use another word).if he rode boston bob into the last instead of letting him pop it(losing at least 4l)he would have won.the c4 cameras clearly showed this after the race.even his dad was puzzled.
Report Vubiant March 17, 2012 10:18 PM GMT
Holding good horses up out the back is fine in Ireland where the soft/heavy going means the leaders usually flag inside the last 3 furlongs or so .
This ploy has to be more questionable on good ground in high class races where many horses can sustain a good gallop for the whole race .
I can't tell Ruby how to ride but some reasonable commentators seem to agree he has been caught out a few times lately .
Report The Gotchee March 17, 2012 10:48 PM GMT
He is an above average jockey who gets to ride exceptionally good horses. Fehily and Townend equally as good given the same opportunities.Considering that Ruby Walsh had the pick of the best stables in both Ireland and the UK, he had a poor enough Cheltenham. McCoy, different class both as a jockey and a person.
Report neill d March 18, 2012 2:19 AM GMT
McCoy's comments after the Gold Cup about having not delivered for JP....... The man has a lot of humility.
Report Tolmi March 18, 2012 10:12 AM GMT
I thought Boston Bob was niggled along from an early stage and that Ruby was never happy on him.As for the last he did ride him into it but the horse put down on him as he was not on a stride.The winner pinging it exaggerated the amount of ground lost.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 18, 2012 10:22 AM GMT
Considering that Ruby Walsh had the pick of the best stables in both Ireland and the UK, he had a poor enough

A very limited view.

He didnt have first choice in the bumper.

He couldnt ride Sir Des Champs.

He could hardly get off Hurricane Fly to ride ride ROR even if he wanted.

His Gold cup mount was 12 and age has caught up.

His RSA mount (I backed) ran poor but was simply not good enough either. Same horse was PU in 3m novice hurdle last year.

Did nothing worng on Boston Bob. Beaten by better horse.

His supreme mount ran as well as form would allow.

Al Ferof made complete horlicks of jumping the fence at the top of the hill.

Quevega won

Kauto Stone fell at the 1st

His Ryanair mount wasnt goo enough.

His handicap mounts either weren't good enough (Gorgeous Sixty, Sergeant Guibs, Ted Spread), or exposed (Final Approach)

Incredible to hear criticism of him
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl March 18, 2012 10:29 AM GMT
Channel 4 cameras zoomed in on BB during the race, horse was cruising, with Ruby sitting on him like a mouse that got the cheese,no signs of any niggling,its amazing that Ruby can go from being absolutely brilliant (Big Bucks), to absolutely shocking aka Bob, and his confidence must have been shot to pieces going out on Kauto..... and I accept that Ruby has been brilliant but I also accept that he throws in the odd shocker, Boston Bob remember beaten only 2 lengths after making up over twenty, absolute shocker, over confident and arrogant Ruby who should hold his hands up, Tony McCoy would have skated in on Boston Bob.....as would BJG and others....
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 18, 2012 10:49 AM GMT
Ruby was niggling Boston Bob a long way from home
Report kavvie March 18, 2012 10:53 AM GMT
i share the above view totally
Report kavvie March 18, 2012 10:54 AM GMT
jay trumps view i mean.premier you were lookng at a diff race to me if you think that.look at it again.why start 10l behind the winner?and so far back?it was a shocking ride
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 18, 2012 11:02 AM GMT
He was the 2nd best horse in the race and finished 2nd, you could have put who you want on Boston Bob and the result would have been the same. The winner was up front all the way, the pace was fast and he ran free enough and still was good enough to win a couple of lengths.
I thought he brought Boston Bob with a winning run after niggling at him down the back but the winner got away from the last very quickly and Boston Bob met it wrong. Even at that i don't think he would have beaten him.
Report kavvie March 18, 2012 11:05 AM GMT
i dont agree but thats what this place is about.opinions.if he rode him into the last he would have won.of that i have no doubt.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 18, 2012 11:08 AM GMT
And as for why hold him up so far back, by that theory Paul Carberry must have given Bellvano a shocking ride and just got mighty lucky. Or is it when it comes off it's a brilliant ride and when it doesn't it is a shocking ride?? They both obviously felt the leaders had gone off quick enough and the difference was one horse was good enough and the other wasn't.

Anyway that's my opinion on it
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 18, 2012 11:11 AM GMT
Yep agree, that's what this place is about Grin
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 18, 2012 11:21 AM GMT
Agree that everyone has their opinion. Suppose it shows why I/R is so popular.

Personally though he did nothing wrong on BB. The winner could be very special imho.

His ride on HF was even more perplexing. People saying he gave it a poor ride. Didnt think it made any ground and didnt look in the slightest bit unlucky.
Report Allduckornodinner March 18, 2012 11:29 AM GMT
I heard that he more or less held his hands up about Boston Bob after the race. Said regardless of whether he was even on the best horse or not he'd ride him differently if he had the chance again. I'd be guessing that he assumed he'd be able to travel into the race much easier and didn't expect the horse to be going flat out as they exited the back coming down the hill.
Report kavvie March 18, 2012 11:41 AM GMT
belvano was different.its quirky and nh told paul carberry to do what he done and dont hit front till as near to the line as he could if he was going to.i never seen any issues with bb all winter in that regard?and i agree that maybe the winner is special.time will tell but in a rematch i know who i would back..
Report wildmanfromborneo March 18, 2012 11:44 AM GMT
There are front runners and hold up horses but Ruby seems to ride all his horses now out the back and although he is brilliant at this sneaking a horse into contention unbeknowns to the horse he is overdoing it.I can only think of three horses he rode up with the pace this Cheltenham all the rest were way out the back.
Paul Carberry is famous for some of his hold up rides but he can ride from the front when the occassion demands.
Report Allduckornodinner March 18, 2012 11:51 AM GMT
The Bellvano ride is a totally different matter. Different gallop, distance and type of race. You couldn't get two more different types of horses either i'd say.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 18, 2012 11:53 AM GMT
Ok it was a way too simplistic way to put my point across, however had Ruby got there and won on the line every single one of you would be saying it was a fantastic ride, in my opinion of course
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 18, 2012 11:53 AM GMT
And yes they are totally different animals
Report The Gotchee March 18, 2012 12:19 PM GMT
I think Ruby's cocky and arrogant personality has rubbed off into the way he is riding at the moment. Having been mollycoddled all his life he needs to come back down to earth and take a reality check. I find it hard to believe he hadn't got first choice on the bumper winner.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 18, 2012 12:29 PM GMT
There is no such thing as a mollycoddled jockey,there all as tough as teak and generally treated disgracefully.
There is a lot of antipathy to him here which i don`t understand,he always comes across as a fine fellow to me.He is pestered at race meetings and sometimes it shows and his acerbic side came out when the hapless Thommo asked that idiotic question after Denmans Gold Cup.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby March 18, 2012 1:21 PM GMT
I remember reading Ruby had mentioned prior to the festival PW had first pick in the bumper. Cant find where now but it was mentioned 2 or 3 times in the media
Report Tolmi March 18, 2012 1:46 PM GMT
I would respectfully suggest that anyone who thinks Boston Bob was cruising through the race look at the full race again on the RP website.Even the commentator mentioned on a few occasions that he was being niggled along,the first time being with a circuit to go..He was never more than 20 lengths off the pace either.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 18, 2012 8:42 PM GMT
Nice to see Ruby taking our advice on Marasonnien even though it proved futile.
Nice also to see Paul Carberry proving my other point by stealing a race from the front on Protaras.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com